Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200878 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #3745 on: December 17, 2015, 02:04:50 PM »
So is this now the final list of tour dates for Europe and NA. Because they are not even close to me and my poor ass can't afford to go to another country just to see the show.
The NA tour dates are not finalized yet.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3746 on: December 17, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »
Dissapointed with the big announcement, it is something I fully expected them to do. Good news nontheless for those who will attend, but if they email me about a livestream I expect something different.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #3747 on: December 17, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »
Hi guys. It's been a long time since my last post. I'm a little bit worried 'cause no dates in Spain have been announced yet. Given that some northamerican one have been posted today...No more european dates this time. I hope there's a second row in europe when other countries are included. I cannot miss this opera rock live.  Greetings from Spain. Thanks!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3748 on: December 17, 2015, 02:22:39 PM »
Please, I want them here at Mexico :'(
At least one date...
I can't imagine living a life without having seen TA live once...

You should be ok.  On the second leg, they will fly over the southeast US and Texas and give us the 'bird' on the way to Mexico, Central America and South America. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #3749 on: December 17, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
I also expected something more from the announced announcement:) Everybody knew they always tour the United States and all the details given about the new album were already published. I think the streaming was aimed to promote Jordan's new musical app but....who knows. They have the freedom to promote whatever they want.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3750 on: December 17, 2015, 03:05:13 PM »
 Sorry, but :facepalm: at the general reaction to the announcement here. What else were you expecting?

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #3751 on: December 17, 2015, 03:55:24 PM »
Hi guys. It's been a long time since my last post. I'm a little bit worried 'cause no dates in Spain have been announced yet. Given that some northamerican one have been posted today...No more european dates this time. I hope there's a second row in europe when other countries are included. I cannot miss this opera rock live.  Greetings from Spain. Thanks!
If you want to see the full Astonishing live show, get a ticket for Paris or Milan...
I don't think you will have more chance...
From Rome, with love.

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #3752 on: December 17, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
I understand there is a lot of interest in certain places but  5 venues  get almost half of the dates in Europe. I mean there are 4 shows in Oslo, like seriously?
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline metrojam

« Reply #3753 on: December 17, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »
I also expected something more from the announced announcement:) Everybody knew they always tour the United States and all the details given about the new album were already published. I think the streaming was aimed to promote Jordan's new musical app but....who knows. They have the freedom to promote whatever they want.

Nail on head there!!.....shameless self promotion I'm afraid, although like you say, they are totally entitled to promote whatever they want but as a "BIG NEWS LIVE ANNOUNCEMENT" it really was a damp squip!!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3754 on: December 17, 2015, 04:40:59 PM »
Sorry, but :facepalm: at the general reaction to the announcement here. What else were you expecting?

I was expecting (considering that the announcement was announced the day before) that it would be something other than a standard tour announcement. For people who already have tickets, watching the whole 30 mins (which I did :facepalm:) unfortunately felt like a waste of time. It just didn't require a build up, livestreams should really be for a far more in-depth reveal like maybe showing how elements of the stage show are going to work, not just dates.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3755 on: December 17, 2015, 04:42:48 PM »
No show in SF?!?! Hoping they add a date between Denver and Portland, or I may have to consider going down to LA.  :sadpanda:

I would be shocked if a SF date isn't added.  But if not, I'll drive if you split the gas.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #3756 on: December 17, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »
I suspect they will add a second show in Los Angeles.  I'm surprised there are back-to-back dates for some cities in Europe, but none in US.  Faith No More and King Diamond sold out quickly at The Wiltern and additional shows were added, so I have a hunch this could happen with DT as well.  I mean, its 1/3 the size of Radio City Music Hall.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #3757 on: December 17, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »
I really don't understand why DT ignores the southeast of the country (not the band literally but whoever books their shows).  I've seen so many bands with half the following DT has or even less play 3-5 shows in Florida alone per touring cycle. Why couldn't DT play a show down here? They played in Orlando every single album cycle from SDOIT-ADToE. What changed? Wouldn't the band WANT to reach out to the fans this side of the country?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3758 on: December 17, 2015, 05:28:58 PM »
So damn spoiled some of you are.  Every year people expect the moon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3759 on: December 17, 2015, 05:31:27 PM »

I think they'd play there before Southeast United States

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3760 on: December 17, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »
A U.S. Based band announcing an announcement of a North American tour... lol, really?
Disappointed, but not unexpected. Seemed a bit obviois.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3761 on: December 17, 2015, 05:47:05 PM »

:lol

John, you know well that dates will be added but of course they will only play major cities that the demographic will sell tickets.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3762 on: December 17, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »

John, you know well that dates will be added but of course they will only play major cities that the demographic will sell tickets.

Of course. I know how it works. I'm just relived they're playing New York this time.  :neverusethis:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3763 on: December 17, 2015, 05:53:58 PM »
I really don't understand why DT ignores the southeast of the country (not the band literally but whoever books their shows).  I've seen so many bands with half the following DT has or even less play 3-5 shows in Florida alone per touring cycle. Why couldn't DT play a show down here? They played in Orlando every single album cycle from SDOIT-ADToE. What changed? Wouldn't the band WANT to reach out to the fans this side of the country?

Maybe they are not confident enough that they would be able to sell a full show of all new material in that area. Maybe they are making sure that there would stage a show in an area where there is a dedicated enough fanbase that would watch a show that do not have any of their hits.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3764 on: December 17, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »

Of course. I know how it works. I'm just relived they're playing New York this time.  :neverusethis:

I was mocking about the, "That's the big announcement "?  That killed me. :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3765 on: December 17, 2015, 06:03:55 PM »

I was mocking about the, "That's the big announcement "?  That killed me. :lol

I know. Some people expect the moon.

Oh wait, you said that.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3766 on: December 17, 2015, 06:06:13 PM »

There's a few days between the Cincinnati and Chicago shows, so a Michigan/St. Louis date (or both) could be possible there. 

Dream Theater hasn't played in St. Louis since some dumbass fell out of the balcony at the Pageant going for a drum stick Portnoy tossed to the crowd.  I'll be shocked if they come here again any time soon.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3767 on: December 17, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »
I suspect they will add a second show in Los Angeles.  I'm surprised there are back-to-back dates for some cities in Europe, but none in US.  Faith No More and King Diamond sold out quickly at The Wiltern and additional shows were added, so I have a hunch this could happen with DT as well.  I mean, its 1/3 the size of Radio City Music Hall.

Actually there are several back to back dates on the NA list.  Hope that Labrie is up to so many back to back shows especially in the middle part of the NA tour.

I was really surprised that they did not schedule DT in St. Louis either the 28th or 29th.  Perhaps they want two days off on those days.  The St Louis theater that someone posted last night was gorgeous.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #3768 on: December 17, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
I guess I kind of expected this announcement... but really? Did anyone ever think they weren't going to tour the U.S. eventually?
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3769 on: December 17, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »
Well, I'm one of the lucky ones who has them performing in my backyard (Baltimore).

One can't rule out a smaller NA tour later on in the year.  Maybe after doing the album, the shows in Europe, and then here, they'd like to reenergize their batteries and spend time with their families.  Plus, it's not as if they are still 'young' rockers in their 30s

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:50:51 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
« Reply #3770 on: December 17, 2015, 07:07:56 PM »
Anyone know of a presale code for the LA show?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3771 on: December 17, 2015, 07:16:51 PM »
I guess I kind of expected this announcement... but really? Did anyone ever think they weren't going to tour the U.S. eventually?

It was almost a near miss...

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #3772 on: December 17, 2015, 07:29:29 PM »

Actually there are several back to back dates on the NA list.  Hope that Labrie is up to so many back to back shows especially in the middle part of the NA tour.

Sorry. I meant to say SAME cities, as in New York for two nights in same venue, Chicago for two nights same venue, etc.  I think they do that a few times in Europe.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3773 on: December 17, 2015, 09:23:22 PM »
I ain't gonna bother reading through them, so I'm gonna to ask it - has something relevant happened in the last 10 pages? :P

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3774 on: December 17, 2015, 10:04:49 PM »

Sorry. I meant to say SAME cities, as in New York for two nights in same venue, Chicago for two nights same venue, etc.  I think they do that a few times in Europe.

The back to back dates in europe were only added once tickets for the first show sold out...
If there is room in the schedule you can hope the same thing might happen here.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #3775 on: December 17, 2015, 11:37:25 PM »

There's a few days between the Cincinnati and Chicago shows, so a Michigan/St. Louis date (or both) could be possible there. 

Dream Theater hasn't played in St. Louis since some dumbass fell out of the balcony at the Pageant going for a drum stick Portnoy tossed to the crowd.  I'll be shocked if they come here again any time soon.

You're in St. Louis?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #3776 on: December 17, 2015, 11:40:50 PM »

I was really surprised that they did not schedule DT in St. Louis either the 28th or 29th.  Perhaps they want two days off on those days.  The St Louis theater that someone posted last night was gorgeous.

I posted that.  The Fabulous Fox is crying out for The Astonishing.

It won't happen though.  More bands skip St. Louis than they do the Southeast.  I'll just have to make the trip to Chicago, I guess.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3777 on: December 18, 2015, 12:35:19 AM »
Spoilt, you are. SPOILT.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3778 on: December 18, 2015, 01:13:27 AM »

Exactly. If a band has a big announcement - it's nearly always tour dates.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3779 on: December 18, 2015, 03:52:51 AM »

I was expecting (considering that the announcement was announced the day before) that it would be something other than a standard tour announcement. For people who already have tickets, watching the whole 30 mins (which I did :facepalm:) unfortunately felt like a waste of time. It just didn't require a build up, livestreams should really be for a far more in-depth reveal like maybe showing how elements of the stage show are going to work, not just dates.
This.

Nothing wrong with announcing tour dates, that's cool. Officially announcing that in 24 hours there will be a "big announcement" via livestream obviously means people expect something more. They really could have just announced the tour dates, and then had a live Q&A with Jordan that was advertised that way - seems like it was a cool thing, but people are dispapointed because they expected something else.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.