Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200700 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #3150 on: December 09, 2015, 05:12:31 AM »
It could be fun to speculate on the songs' and acts' length. I'm gonna be a little bit optimistic and say there's 65-70 minutes on each act.

I recall one source saying 2 hours 10 minutes for the album, which would average about 65 minutes per disc.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #3151 on: December 09, 2015, 05:18:38 AM »
Yes, John Petrucci himself. He used the word "probably" when revealing the length so that's why we can't be sure just yet. It could be rounded up for all we know. More or less, anywhere between 125-135.
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3152 on: December 09, 2015, 05:37:43 AM »
As Act 1 has 20 tracks, I imagine that will be the longer of the two discs, probably 70-75 minutes. That leaves around 60-65 mins for Act 2.

In fact, thinking about it, it might actually threaten the record for the longest studio album in my collection. Currently it's Stardust We Are by The Flower Kings, at 130:14.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 05:55:53 AM by RoeDent »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3153 on: December 09, 2015, 05:46:02 AM »
As Act 1 has 20 tracks, I imagine that will be the longer of the two discs, probably 70-75 minutes. That leaves around 60-65 mins for Act 2.

It's also possible the last track "Astonishing" is an epic to close the story and will compensate for having less tracks, so they could be more equal.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3154 on: December 09, 2015, 05:49:00 AM »
Does anyone else feel like "The Astonishing" is missing a noun at the end?  :lol Every time I read it I keep expecting there to be more to the title. It's not a complaint and Astonishing is obviously the noun in this case.

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #3155 on: December 09, 2015, 05:49:39 AM »
Lord Nafaryus, Brother Do Your Hear Me, A Tempting Offer, and Moment of Betrayal sound like short, spoken tracks to me, so I reckon those would leave more space for fullblown songs. Then again, I could be entirely wrong and I actually hope so! It still blows my mind that it will be around 130 minutes. That's almost 40 minutes longer than SDOIT! 40 minutes! That's 2 Counts of Tuscany and 1 Through My Words more!
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3156 on: December 09, 2015, 05:51:03 AM »

It's also possible the last track "Astonishing" is an epic to close the story and will compensate for having less tracks, so they could be more equal.

I would think that would absolutely be the case.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3157 on: December 09, 2015, 06:02:50 AM »
The track titles indicate to me that by the time we get to the title track, the story will be all but told. "Power Down" might be the NOMACs being shut down, to leave the Empire reunited and able to enjoy proper music, then Astonishing might be a celebratory or rousing closing number. If there is a long song here, it would seem logical that it would be at the climactic part of the story, perhaps The Path That Divides.

All wild guesses, I know.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3158 on: December 09, 2015, 06:04:46 AM »
I think we already had the discussion about "astonishing" not sounding like a noun ;) I don't feel anything strange with that, since English is not my first language. Sounds perfectly fine to me.
I hope that songs will flow into each other, creating longer songs with multiple parts. "Astonishing" as a longer epic song would be.. well. Astonishing :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #3159 on: December 09, 2015, 06:07:12 AM »
The track titles indicate to me that by the time we get to the title track, the story will be all but told. "Power Down" might be the NOMACs being shut down, to leave the Empire reunited and able to enjoy proper music, then Astonishing might be a celebratory or rousing closing number. If there is a long song here, it would seem logical that it would be at the climactic part of the story, perhaps The Path That Divides.

This has always been my inclination. I'm not sure there's going to be 12+ minutes of story left to tell after Power Down. But there could be a twist a la Finally Free (though that's not 12+ either...), so who knows.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3160 on: December 09, 2015, 06:11:03 AM »

This has always been my inclination. I'm not sure there's going to be 12+ minutes of story left to tell after Power Down. But there could be a twist a la Finally Free (though that's not 12+ either...), so who knows.

I think power down will be the turning point when the rebels are able to shut down and start their attack on the NOMACS and the empire, with Astonishing being the big epic telling of that story, and telling us how great everything turned out.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3161 on: December 09, 2015, 06:53:19 AM »
I think power down will be the turning point when the rebels are able to shut down and start their attack on the NOMACS and the empire, with Astonishing being the big epic telling of that story, and telling us how great everything turned out.
This assumes the rebels are the good guys against the evil empire, which isn't necessarily the case. Indeed, the fact that the marketing is all about choosing a side lends credence to the idea that neither side is good/bad.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #3162 on: December 09, 2015, 06:55:21 AM »
I'm waiting for the 34 new 'Opinions on __________' threads when the album gets released  :lol :lol :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3163 on: December 09, 2015, 06:58:26 AM »
This assumes the rebels are the good guys against the evil empire, which isn't necessarily the case. Indeed, the fact that the marketing is all about choosing a side lends credence to the idea that neither side is good/bad.

I think the whole DT/music analogy story and the forbidden song makes it pretty clear.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #3164 on: December 09, 2015, 06:59:02 AM »
I'm waiting for all the nugget finders to analyze the hell out of the album, and give us crazy theories about how it's related to Metropolis or Octavarium. We've already seen a bit of it  :lol
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3165 on: December 09, 2015, 07:00:26 AM »
I'm waiting for all the nugget finders to analyze the hell out of the album, and give us crazy theories about how it's related to Metropolis or Octavarium. We've already seen a bit of it  :lol

And that's with no basis. Just imagine what we could do with two discs worth of music and lyrics. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3166 on: December 09, 2015, 07:57:39 AM »
I like to think of myself as a nugget finder, but it's getting me nowhere but the gym.  :(
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3167 on: December 09, 2015, 08:05:33 AM »
I'm waiting for the 34 new 'Opinions on __________' threads when the album gets released  :lol :lol :lol
Oh hell no
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3168 on: December 09, 2015, 08:18:17 AM »
Oh hell no

And don't forget another 34 appreciation threads. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3169 on: December 09, 2015, 08:20:43 AM »
Oh hell no

And add to this, don't forget potential (mostly SDOIT/SFAM) versus threads.  :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3170 on: December 09, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »
Something I haven't seen raised yet, is that being a double album of such length, the album sales will effectively count for x2, won't they? Will this also apply to the Billboard charts and raise the album's position slightly?

Oh hell no

And add to this, don't forget potential (mostly SDOIT/SFAM) versus threads.  :lol

I'll just save you the time now and vote for SDOIT/SFAM, since they'll never be topped.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3171 on: December 09, 2015, 08:25:21 AM »
Something I haven't seen raised yet, is that being a double album of such length, the album sales will effectively count for x2, won't they? Will this also apply to the Billboard charts and raise the album's position slightly?
That is my understanding.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3172 on: December 09, 2015, 08:27:49 AM »
That is my understanding.

That should be interesting then. It's almost a shame SDOIT wasn't a few minutes longer, because it only misses out by about 4 minutes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3173 on: December 09, 2015, 08:57:55 AM »

I'll just save you the time now and vote for SDOIT/SFAM, since they'll never be topped.

Don't forget " What if Load/Reload The Astonishing was one CD ? " that all the newbies will make.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #3174 on: December 09, 2015, 09:04:18 AM »

Don't forget " What if Load/Reload The Astonishing was one CD ? " that all the newbies will make.

Or ''Is the entire album The Astonishing a single song or not?''

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3175 on: December 09, 2015, 09:05:09 AM »
That sounds like a you thread Kotowboy :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #3176 on: December 09, 2015, 09:08:52 AM »
I'm hoping for a twist ending or some kind of profound, shocking thing to happen with "Astonishing." You can't have a title track like that closing the album and not have something really cool and unexpected.

At the very least, I'm really hoping for a non-cliche ending. It would be a little disappointing to me if the album ended with " the empire was overthrown, the nomacs were shut down, the rebels control the land, everyone lived happily ever after." Maybe I'm in the minority there, but I don't know a good concept album that had a perfectly happy, wrapped up ending.

I mean the friggen album is called "The Astonishing." I'M JUST SO INTRIGUED and maybe that's why I'm hoping for something unexpected.

It also seems like DT is going to transcend the actual music and instrumentals in this album by really applying the concept to the way they write and create the music. And I don't just mean spoken tracks (god forbid), and "oh this parts heavy cuz he's evil," or "oh this parts soft because she's a good guy." I'm keeping my doubts but I'm just hoping they create something new and experiment with the way they portray the concept here.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3177 on: December 09, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »
Maybe I'm in the minority there, but I don't know a good concept album that had a perfectly happy, wrapped up ending.

Well, that depends on what you view as perfectly happy and wrapped up ending. I'd say The Human Equation by Ayreon has this kind of ending (if you cut the plot-twist at the very end, which I always tend to do); The Old Man and the Spirit by Beyond the Bridge is a happy, wrapped up ending (the protagonist dies, but I consider this a perfectly happy ending - he was at his brink of death at the beginning, all in all, and he goes in absolute peace); Mercy Falls by Seventh Wonder... wait, nevermind this last one. :lol

But yeah, I indeed hope for something else than "the empire was overthrown, the nomacs were shut down, the rebels control the land, everyone lived happily ever after" for The Astonishing.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline GandL

« Reply #3178 on: December 09, 2015, 09:22:51 AM »

Offline -teo

« Reply #3179 on: December 09, 2015, 09:27:22 AM »
I'm hoping for a twist ending or some kind of profound, shocking thing to happen with "Astonishing." You can't have a title track like that closing the album and not have something really cool and unexpected.

At the very least, I'm really hoping for a non-cliche ending. It would be a little disappointing to me if the album ended with " the empire was overthrown, the nomacs were shut down, the rebels control the land, everyone lived happily ever after." Maybe I'm in the minority there, but I don't know a good concept album that had a perfectly happy, wrapped up ending.

I mean the friggen album is called "The Astonishing." I'M JUST SO INTRIGUED and maybe that's why I'm hoping for something unexpected.

Open your eyes, Nicholas.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #3180 on: December 09, 2015, 09:42:11 AM »
Open your eyes, Nicholas.

"Open your eyes, Gabriel."

inb4 Gabriel is just a reincarnation of Nicholas in the year 2285
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3181 on: December 09, 2015, 09:52:44 AM »
Gabriel realizes he was The Killing Hand all along.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #3182 on: December 09, 2015, 09:59:30 AM »

It also seems like DT is going to transcend the actual music and instrumentals in this album by really applying the concept to the way they write and create the music. And I don't just mean spoken tracks (god forbid), and "oh this parts heavy cuz he's evil," or "oh this parts soft because she's a good guy." I'm keeping my doubts but I'm just hoping they create something new and experiment with the way they portray the concept here.

It was all just a dream. And then at the end Gabriel opens his eyes and HE IS NAFARYUS.

You heard it here first.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #3183 on: December 09, 2015, 09:59:48 AM »
Does anyone else feel like "The Astonishing" is missing a noun at the end?  :lol Every time I read it I keep expecting there to be more to the title. It's not a complaint and Astonishing is obviously the noun in this case.

It seems like The Astonishing could refer to an event; that one time when we all were astonished.
Or maybe it refers to a group of people; the ones who astonish us.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3184 on: December 09, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »

It was all just a dream. And then at the end Gabriel opens his eyes and HE IS NAFARYUS.

You heard it here first.

Does that mean that Booker DeWitt and Father Comstock are the same person? WAIT, SONGBIRD STOPS TO LISTEN? BIOSHOCK CONFIRMED? (Fans will get that... maybe).