Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200855 times)

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #2905 on: December 04, 2015, 02:29:55 PM »
So assuming DT reveals two songs like they did with the last record, which song do you guys think they'll reveal next?

"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2906 on: December 04, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »
Machine Chatter
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2907 on: December 04, 2015, 02:31:45 PM »
Bet they don't get this worked up about stuff at the Kanye forum.  :biggrin:

"Yo, James, Imma let you finish.  But first I wanna show that I have the most pitch corrected voice of all tiiiimeeeee!"

Ftfy

:lol
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2908 on: December 04, 2015, 02:32:30 PM »
Machine Chatter

Probably sounds like the end of "Misunderstood" :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2909 on: December 04, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »
So assuming DT reveals two songs like they did with the last record, which song do you guys think they'll reveal next?

Astonishing
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2910 on: December 04, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »
Man I wish! I think that's too good to be true though :biggrin:

Maybe something like: A New Beginning, My Last Farewell, Chosen???

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Live in the moment, breathe in a nude beginning
« Reply #2911 on: December 04, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
Can anyone point out a section in Dream Theater song that has a simultaneous, dualing solo section like the end of TGOM?

Jordan's keyboard sound, mixed with the way they are playing, conjures images (and words) in my mind of an epic music battle between a NOMAC and real musician as they fly over the city.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #2912 on: December 04, 2015, 02:47:06 PM »
I don't think they will reveal any more songs, unless it is an instrumental. If they reveal something with lyrics, it might be spoiling the plot.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #2913 on: December 04, 2015, 02:47:51 PM »
Can anyone point out a section in Dream Theater song that has a simultaneous, dualing solo section like the end of TGOM?

Jordan's keyboard sound, mixed with the way they are playing, conjures images (and words) in my mind of an epic music battle between a NOMAC and real musician as they fly over the city.

Interesting...I'll listen for that on the way home from work.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2914 on: December 04, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »
I don't think they will reveal any more songs, unless it is an instrumental. If they reveal something with lyrics, it might be spoiling the plot.

I'm still hoping for a Dance of Eternity/Erotomania/Ytse Jam type song on this album. Digital DIscord would be the perfect track for it - some other track names would really fit it as well! Whatever DT decides to do is fine by me, but still . . . fingers crossed for that.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #2915 on: December 04, 2015, 03:06:57 PM »
A new character was revealed today, encircled by NOMACS.

Oh no! :rollin
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2916 on: December 04, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
I just played The Gift of Music to my sister and before vocals kick in she asked if that's Rush :lol that's good sing, I think :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #2917 on: December 04, 2015, 03:11:25 PM »
I got an About to Crash style, Don't Look Past Me vibe.

Same here!
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #2918 on: December 04, 2015, 03:16:51 PM »

I'm still hoping for a Dance of Eternity/Erotomania/Ytse Jam type song on this album. Digital DIscord would be the perfect track for it - some other track names would really fit it as well! Whatever DT decides to do is fine by me, but still . . . fingers crossed for that.

Better be!  :metal
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #2919 on: December 04, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »
This. With this being a concept album, with a story, I doubt they'll give us a "single" as per the usual marketing strategy. I'm good with that. I mean, it is only just over a month from release. Thinking in those terms it seems not so far off.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #2920 on: December 04, 2015, 03:23:44 PM »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #2921 on: December 04, 2015, 03:34:52 PM »
A new character was revealed today, encircled by NOMACS.

Oh no! :rollin

Already posted earlier in the thread.  :p

I know what oblivion is, I've seen it. But the comparison is hilarious
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2922 on: December 04, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »

The call-and-answer section before the solo in Lost Not Forgotten is similar, but way more technical. It's similar to the unison after the solo in Panic Attack too, IMO.

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Live in the moment, breathe in a nude beginning
« Reply #2923 on: December 04, 2015, 03:52:53 PM »

The call-and-answer section before the solo in Lost Not Forgotten is similar, but way more technical. It's similar to the unison after the solo in Panic Attack too, IMO.

Both of those parts they are playing in unison or not at the same time. I can't think of any section of a DT song where 2 people are soloing at the same time that is not a unison.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2924 on: December 04, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »

Both of those parts they are playing in unison or not at the same time. I can't think of any section of a DT song where 2 people are soloing at the same time that is not a unison.

I guess that's true. I suppose  I'll have to ponder this question a little more on the train ride home

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2925 on: December 04, 2015, 04:38:39 PM »
Instead of a spinning keyboard, JR will now have a floating one, on a miniature NOMAC.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #2926 on: December 04, 2015, 06:24:07 PM »

Pretty sure TDEN has something like the in the instrumental break before the solo. Not sure though

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2927 on: December 04, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
The final minute of On The Backs Of Angels has always sounded like a clusterfuck to me.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #2928 on: December 04, 2015, 06:37:11 PM »

Nah, I don't think so. They've revealed a song about the Rebels' point of view. If they reveal one now about the Empire, I don't think anything would be spoiled.

Offline shredd

• Always Awake
  • ROCK ON!
« Reply #2929 on: December 04, 2015, 08:05:37 PM »
Really loving The Gift Of Music! When I listen to it i get vibes like  DT12, I&W, SFAM, SC and ADTOE.

And on top of everything, another super tasty JP solo!
We move in circles - Balanced all the while - On a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere - Colliding with our fate - This story ends where it began

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #2930 on: December 04, 2015, 08:18:46 PM »

Nah, I don't think so. They've revealed a song about the Rebels' point of view. If they reveal one now about the Empire, I don't think anything would be spoiled.

You're right, tf there would be an introductory song about the Empire I guess it would not spoil anything and it could potentially be released.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2931 on: December 04, 2015, 08:20:35 PM »
Really loving The Gift Of Music! When I listen to it i get vibes like  DT12, I&W, SFAM, SC and ADTOE.

And on top of everything, another super tasty JP solo!

Yeah ikr! It's kind of like old and new DT combined ;)

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2932 on: December 04, 2015, 08:21:33 PM »

You're right, tf there would be an introductory song about the Empire I guess it would not spoil anything and it could potentially be released.

I wonder what song that would be if there is one. Lord Narfaryus perhaps??? :justjen

Offline SupermanJLU

« Reply #2933 on: December 04, 2015, 09:18:45 PM »
I rarely post but tis is the season to be excited :) I have been following this thread and the old ones for many months now eagerly awaiting this new album. I always get super happy when I know Dream Theater has entered the studio. Every new album release I have been a part of as a fan since Metropolis Pt2: Scenes from a Memory has been different but I have never been disappointed in any of their creative visions. So far everything released about the The Astonishing has hooked me into wanting to know more about this grand story that John Petrucci has penned to paper. Now with the recent release of the song The Gift of Music I am pretty confident this album will not be a disappointment either.

Cannot wait for Jan 29th pre-ordered THE ASTONISHING LIMITED EDITION DELUXE BOX SET super pumped to see what the Special Gift is going to be :D

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2934 on: December 05, 2015, 01:23:05 AM »
I don't know if anyone pointed that out (too lazy to go back), but the boxset photo with the double CD pretty much excludes a DVD of the making of docu, right (as there seems to be only 2 discs inside)?

B.Lee
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 01:33:38 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2935 on: December 05, 2015, 01:36:49 AM »
I don't know if anyone pointed that out (too lazy to go back), but the boxset photo with the double CD pretty much excludes a DVD of the making of docu, right (as there seems to be only 2 discs inside)?

B.Lee

Yeah, I believe Kotow pointed that out. It's a shame, would've been really cool to see this record get developed. But since they wouldn't  have a single shot of James recording his vocals, it would've been a difficult thing to direct.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2936 on: December 05, 2015, 01:52:13 AM »

B.Lee

Yeah, I believe Kotow pointed that out. It's a shame, would've been really cool to see this record get developed. But since they wouldn't  have a single shot of James recording his vocals, it would've been a difficult thing to direct.

Yeah, and that's a shame. Guess we'll have to satisfy ourselves with 2 hours + of music, then! :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2937 on: December 05, 2015, 02:10:54 AM »
The final minute of On The Backs Of Angels has always sounded like a clusterfuck to me.
Strange, that's my favourite bit of the song.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2938 on: December 05, 2015, 02:22:46 AM »
I'm pleased they're marketing this album differently. Infers a bit of change, which is definitely welcome to me. Apart from that, I have to say all the detail so far is pretty unappealing. Echoes of 2112 - how fresh... Does offer glints of Rush influence, mind, and I really dig em in that mode. Who knows!?

After listening to TGOM a couple of times, all I'm thinking is "Wow! Fucking excellent!"  :D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2939 on: December 05, 2015, 02:49:42 AM »
On the subject of a second track, it would be good to hear something from Act 2. I would say "The Path That Divides", but I have a feeling that will be the longest track. Idk, I've been thinking about it, and as that phrase has been emphasized from the beginning of this promo cycle, it would make sense that that song is a pivotal point in the story.