Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200783 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #2695 on: December 03, 2015, 02:56:35 PM »
I love it! Stoked for the album.

And regarding the so called "time" autotune bit? Is that really autotune? As a vocalist, it doesn't necessarily sound like something that is the result of software trickery to me?  Seems more like a stylistic choice of Labrie to me on first impression.

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2696 on: December 03, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »
I've always thought it weird that we tune guitars. we tune drums. we tune pianos.

but if we tune vocals on a studio album - people are like :dangerwillrobinson: dafuq

ikr :lol

I agree with you there . . . what we're talking about though is a glitch in the tuning, not the tuning itself ;D
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2697 on: December 03, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
I was paying so much attention to the music I didn't hardly watch the video, but considering how much effort went into this whole concept, the video was a major letdown.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #2698 on: December 03, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »
I've always thought it weird that we tune guitars. we tune drums. we tune pianos.

but if we tune vocals on a studio album - people are like :dangerwillrobinson: dafuq

Hey, there's no news that vocals are tuned...everyone do that these days..and it's ok! But a audible mistake isnt that common though

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #2699 on: December 03, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »

And regarding the so called "time" autotune bit? Is that really autotune? As a vocalist, it doesn't necessarily sound like something that is the result of software trickery to me?  Seems more like a stylistic choice of Labrie to me on first impression.

It's not Auto-tune...it's Melodyne, big difference

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: December 03, 2015, 02:59:52 PM »

Hey, there's no news that vocals are tuned...everyone do that these days..and it's ok! But a audible mistake isnt that common though

I know I was like, this is DT not Red Hot Chilli Peppers lol. I hope they fix. I have never noticed on another DT record so it really stands out to me.

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #2701 on: December 03, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
This sounds a lot like Trent Gardners "The absolute man"
I have wanted DT to make an album like that for many years.

This. And a bit of Madmen And Sinners as well. The singing especially, needless to say.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2702 on: December 03, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »
This might be my last night reading this thread. I'm about to go to bed, and when I wake up there might be 10 or more new pages. That might just be more than I have the patience for.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #2703 on: December 03, 2015, 03:02:10 PM »
So 2h 10mins of new music....

It's still 30mins of other music live... ::)

Yeah, that's why I was wondering about an encore... Set 1 will be Act I and set 2 will be Act II, and then 2-3 songs to round up the evening? well, the encore would be the icing on the cake, I wouldn't be disappointed if it will be only the album.

And 2h40 minutes is the length of an Evening With Shows. 3 hours minus 15 minutes of intermission. Which makes 2h45', ok, but we're there.
Didn't the various sites say the shows were 2h40 including intermission. Factor a bit of time between some of the songs for breathers, shifting sets around, etc., and there's time for maybe one short song at most as an encore.

Maybe they'll do a second tour with a mix of songs from The Astonishing and at least half of the show will be older songs.

Also, I've been wanting to say this for quite some time: I'm pretty much expecting them to do what they've always done, in that the album(s) will be a combination of at least one less than 7 minute "hard rock/metal" song, at least one ballad, at least one instrumental, and at least one "epic-ish" (over ten minutes) track on each disc. It may be that  a lot of the OTHER tracks are just little snippets of dialogue and/or music and/or sound effects that are just included to move the story along.

I don't really think it's a case of "it MAY BE"!!!!!......it WILL be of course. Surely no-one really expects 25 - 30+ full, proper songs do they?!!!!!!

I'm not really sure what you mean.

There could be at least one song, or one on each disc that is anywhere from just under 15 to just over 20 minutes in length.

Other than that, what I meant was: Each disc will probably be about 80-90% the band playing the music, and the other 10 (maybe even 5) % what I said it would be, which is short little tracks that are something other than DT songs and instrumentals that are being used as part of the story.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2704 on: December 03, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
Vocalists are perfectly capable of changing their pitch within the same note. In fact, if I drop my larynx while singing a word I get a somewhat similar result. It may sound weird and people may argue improper singing technique, but that would not be an editing error. I highly doubt this is a blatant sound production edit they just left in like this. Seems like a stylistic choice.

It's not Auto-tune...it's Melodyne, big difference

Ok, sorry. But my question remains the same, what I hear sounds like something a singer can do with technique. Not saying the vocals did not get a "studio album" refinement, but the note in particular doesn't sound like an editing error to me.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #2705 on: December 03, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
Min: 2:46"

This sounds like metropolis!!  :justjen
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:23:16 PM by chego_voice »
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #2706 on: December 03, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »
I was paying so much attention to the music I didn't hardly watch the video, but considering how much effort went into this whole concept, the video was a major letdown.

I might be wrong but I don't think that it is a "video" as such as the description of the track is "The Gift of Music - audio".

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2707 on: December 03, 2015, 03:06:14 PM »
Realistically, we assume we have 29 songs and 5 "NOMACS" tracks. And we know that the vocals are done by James Labrie singing in character. I don't think we'll see spoken words - Use the Gift of Music as reference, there's a lot of exposition in that track alone with regards to the lyric content, which would've been put in "spoken word" form if that existed on the album. And yet the song begins "Far in the distance future, beyond the pages of our time. Cold blooded wicked tyrants threaten the freedom of mankind. Corruption, lust and greed define the new nobility changing the course of history." etc etc.

130 minutes divided by 29 songs gives us an average of 4.5 minutes per song. Granted, some will probably be longer, some will probably be shorter. But I don't expect to see many song longer than 10 minutes, if any at all. Then again, why do they need to be? I prefer the songs that last 6 minutes over the longer songs - and this has been my main contention with the last few albums of DT.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #2708 on: December 03, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »
Ok song. Sounds like it's a transitional song. Not like a segue or anything. More of a filler to keep the story going.

I thought it was supposed to be more of an "intro" song.

Did you not read the interview? "Jordan and I wrote the music as really a prog-metal score to the story. We didn't sit down and say, "Let's write a song, here's the first chorus, whatever." We would go through the story and say, "What's happening here, where is it taking place?" We had to make sure the mythology was right, the timeline was right."

They focus on the story first and foremost, so the songs will be most likely be shorter in order to convey a part of the story, and with repating themes throughout like you'll hear in a movie score. The songs will be standalone, but yet be telling a whole story, and be designed to be played as a whole.

"The one instance that kept speaking to me — where a band had this presentation where it wasn't only about the album, but there was a movie connected to it, there were animations, and there was a show that was immersive — was when Pink Floyd did The Wall. At the same time, I purposely didn't want to really think too much about other concept albums or rock operas, and come from more of a storytelling perspective, take my love for everything — whether it be Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, Les [Miserables], Jesus Christ Superstar, Disney movies — and come from the perspective of the elements that make those things so special, and such a big part of our lives."

Think movie score and musical, rather than Dream Theater.

I dont know why, but it kinda scare me that you say there wont be long tracks. I get that its a different concept, and I respect that. But after a while the story and all the surroundings will fade, and all we will be left with is the music. And I really think DT shines the most with the long songs. An album full of 4-5 min songs will just not age well with me I think. I get that this borders on Irrational thinking but I cant explain it, its just my feelings.
Let's reserve the song length bashing for when you find out if there are actually no songs over 4-5 minutes.

And there really hasn't been anything definitive from anyone on the topic of track lengths, besides people saying this likely doesn't leave any room for a long epic. But who knows. Bosk and Noxon can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe anything has been released regarding the track lengths besides the song "The Gift of Music," which is 4:07.

Im certainly not bashing anyone. I also admitted its pretty Irrational to worry about that now. But what can I say, my mind doesnt always follow the strict rules :lol  Im just sharing my concerns. For some reason, thinking that the album might have much short songs gets me kinda edgy, I cant really explain why.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2709 on: December 03, 2015, 03:09:06 PM »
Vocalists are perfectly capable of changing their pitch within the same note. In fact, if I drop my larynx while singing a word I get a somewhat similar result. It may sound weird and people may argue improper singing technique, but that would not be an editing error. I highly doubt this is a blatant autotune edit they just left in like this. Seems like a stylistic choice.

Trust us from trained ears it is pitch correction. Now the actual reason for it sounding like that may be because the pitch editing program couldn't track whatever the original audio was in a way that it could get much better than that. He may have sung a completely different note or had different timing. Who knows without hearing/seeing the original audio track. But once you edit enough vocals you can hear it, there's no doubt.

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #2710 on: December 03, 2015, 03:09:50 PM »
Vocalists are perfectly capable of changing their pitch within the same note. In fact, if I drop my larynx while singing a word I get a somewhat similar result. It may sound weird and people may argue improper singing technique, but that would not be an editing error. I highly doubt this is a blatant autotune edit they just left in like this. Seems like a stylistic choice.

No, it's definitely a MELODYNE edit mistake...not Auto-Tune!! Watch this video: https://youtu.be/aw5MHXQpsbk

If you tweak the notes to much...then you'll get that "timeeee" effect!! Trust me, I work/record/edit professionally...and there's no way you as a vocalist can naturally sound that way! If you actually can...then you're a living melodyne machine 😄😉

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Live in the moment, breathe in a nude beginning
« Reply #2711 on: December 03, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
Epic teaser that really leaves you wanting more!  To me, the snare sounds like I&W...better than last time for sure (felt distracting to me on DT12). Overall mix feels much more open than DT12.  My favorite part is when the dirty organ comes out to play, leading into the orchestra that slowly creeps into the guitar riff. :metal  Quality stuff!  Choir sounds great as well.  Also have mention I love Myung on this song! Pretty clean and in your face bass sound.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2712 on: December 03, 2015, 03:13:24 PM »

No, it's definitely a MELODYNE edit mistake...not Auto-Tune!! Watch this video: https://youtu.be/aw5MHXQpsbk

If you tweak the notes to much...then you'll get that "timeeee" effect!! Trust me, I work/record/edit professionally...and there's no way you as a vocalist can naturally sound that way! If you actually can...then you're a living melodyne machine 😄😉
:tup

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2713 on: December 03, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »
Epic teaser that really leaves you wanting more!  To me, the snare sounds like I&W...better than last time for sure (felt distracting to me on DT12). Overall mix feels much more open than DT12.  My favorite part is when the dirty organ comes out to play, leading into the orchestra that slowly creeps into the guitar riff. :metal  Quality stuff!  Choir sounds great as well.  Also have mention I love Myung on this song! Pretty clean and in your face bass sound.

I agree with the whole snare sounds like IAW idea . . . someone else pointed that out as a bad thing, and I was like "whaaat? I love the drum sound on that album" I guess it's all subjective but still I really like the direction the production is going in ;D ;D

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #2714 on: December 03, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
Why do I get the feeling they'll pull a huge plot twist at the end, where the Astonishing was just a bad dream Nicholas had  :rollin
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2715 on: December 03, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
I dunno. Why are people so obsessed with teh idea of this being MtroLOLis Part Le Third?!?!111

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2716 on: December 03, 2015, 03:15:45 PM »
Why do I get the feeling they'll pull a huge plot twist at the end, where the Astonishing was just a bad dream Nicholas had  :rollin

Open your eyes, Nicholas!  :lol

Offline Whrobmp

« Reply #2717 on: December 03, 2015, 03:20:51 PM »
I still don't hear the autotune even after focusing on it and replaying the part over and over.
Same here for me. I've re-listened to the timestamp provided 10+ times and I got nothing.  :huh:

I just went back to it and there is just something off about it. It's like "...people have no time for music anymore..." and it sounds like they tried to lower the pitch when LaBrie sings "time", so it sounds like "time[uaauw]", just between 1:22 and 1:23

Guys, It's has been made on purpose! Because people have no time for music anymoooaaahhhh

BTW, great single! :)

Offline genome

« Reply #2718 on: December 03, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
Not a fan of the drum sound again, but better than anything off DT12.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2719 on: December 03, 2015, 03:24:01 PM »
Not worried in the least about shorter songs if their structure serve the story, like One Last Time and especially Finally Free.

Also, Act II has 6 songs less and it has the title track, that must account for something, assuming the acts will be somehow balanced.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2720 on: December 03, 2015, 03:25:53 PM »
I still don't hear the autotune even after focusing on it and replaying the part over and over.
Same here for me. I've re-listened to the timestamp provided 10+ times and I got nothing.  :huh:

I just went back to it and there is just something off about it. It's like "...people have no time for music anymore..." and it sounds like they tried to lower the pitch when LaBrie sings "time", so it sounds like "time[uaauw]", just between 1:22 and 1:23

Guys, It's has been made on purpose! Because people have no time for music anymoooaaahhhh

:rollin :rollin :lol :rollin :rollin

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #2721 on: December 03, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »

Actually, after listening a couple of times...the whole line "people just don't..." to the most audible "time" are actually wrongfully melodyned. Very very weird!! Why would they actually release a single with such a mistake! OR as you are saying...they might wanna make a statement within those lines

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #2722 on: December 03, 2015, 03:27:17 PM »
Vocalists are perfectly capable of changing their pitch within the same note. In fact, if I drop my larynx while singing a word I get a somewhat similar result. It may sound weird and people may argue improper singing technique, but that would not be an editing error. I highly doubt this is a blatant sound production edit they just left in like this. Seems like a stylistic choice.

I'm not a professional, but it doesn't really sound like a human sound to me. This is more or less what I'm hearing:

The uaaww doesn't sound like something people could do with their voice.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #2723 on: December 03, 2015, 03:27:36 PM »

Open your eyes, Nicholas!  :lol

"Open your eyes, Nicholas. Look at the world around you, I am Gabriel your saviour. I will save you from the NOMACS and emperor Nafaryus. I will bring an end to the dark master"  :justjen
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Awake77

« Reply #2724 on: December 03, 2015, 03:27:41 PM »
I like the song, especially the instrumental part after 3:24 which has a cool Blind Faith vibe to me.
I guess the choice of the song was due to the fact that it's probably the first one sung, so it can introduce the overall theme without giving away the plot. Probably it's not the best one… but I think it is a nice starter.
The drum sound has definitely improved, and the overall mix too.
I am very curious to hear the "clutch of unorthodox instruments" on the album!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2725 on: December 03, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
Ok song. Sounds like it's a transitional song. Not like a segue or anything. More of a filler to keep the story going.

Exactly my thoughts too.  I don't think it's fair to really judge it as it will probably work a lot better in the context of the album.

I don't mind it, but only listened to it once, and don't really have much of an urge to repeat it.  I'd rather wait for the full album.  I get a heavy SDOIT, About to Crash vibe too.  The instrumental was really cool though.  Looking forward to the whole concept.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2726 on: December 03, 2015, 03:30:32 PM »
I know we all joke on here that The Astonishing would be the new Falling Into Infinity...

Because A Dramatic Turn of Events was Images and Words part 2

But FII was originally going to be a double album...And on The Astonishing they've used an outside writer...

:lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2727 on: December 03, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »

Ok, I believe you but I do not hear it so clearly myself (a complete and external pitch change, not arguing they did not use editing software in general, that is normal). To me it really doesn't sound that far of a singer using larynx movements to drop pitch to me. Maybe I'll make a thread in the future using my vocals showing what I mean (Obviously I do not have the same voice as Labrie so it will sound different).

To be honest I do not like major changes in vocals with software (depending on the music).

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #2728 on: December 03, 2015, 03:33:26 PM »
I know we all joke on here that The Astonishing would be the new Falling Into Infinity...

Because A Dramatic Turn of Events was Images and Words part 2

But FII was originally going to be a double album...And on The Astonishing they've used an outside writer...

:lol

I can't wait to hear the new version of lines in the sand  :lol
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2729 on: December 03, 2015, 03:35:53 PM »

A very interesting point of view.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies