Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1196797 times)

Offline metrojam

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #2660 on: December 03, 2015, 02:27:54 PM »
So 2h 10mins of new music....

It's still 30mins of other music live... ::)

Yeah, that's why I was wondering about an encore... Set 1 will be Act I and set 2 will be Act II, and then 2-3 songs to round up the evening? well, the encore would be the icing on the cake, I wouldn't be disappointed if it will be only the album.

And 2h40 minutes is the length of an Evening With Shows. 3 hours minus 15 minutes of intermission. Which makes 2h45', ok, but we're there.
Didn't the various sites say the shows were 2h40 including intermission. Factor a bit of time between some of the songs for breathers, shifting sets around, etc., and there's time for maybe one short song at most as an encore.

Maybe they'll do a second tour with a mix of songs from The Astonishing and at least half of the show will be older songs.

Also, I've been wanting to say this for quite some time: I'm pretty much expecting them to do what they've always done, in that the album(s) will be a combination of at least one less than 7 minute "hard rock/metal" song, at least one ballad, at least one instrumental, and at least one "epic-ish" (over ten minutes) track on each disc. It may be that  a lot of the OTHER tracks are just little snippets of dialogue and/or music and/or sound effects that are just included to move the story along.

I don't really think it's a case of "it MAY BE"!!!!!......it WILL be of course. Surely no-one really expects 25 - 30+ full, proper songs do they?!!!!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2661 on: December 03, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »
I've been hearing this track for weeks now. And I didn't even once bat my eye on Labries singing. Until you made me listen for the flaw. Now I can't unhear it. Damn you!

I listened to that time stamp a few times, and I still don't hear it.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2662 on: December 03, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPn1mCmqoE&feature=youtu.be

Great song. Not sure about the video ... Who made it ? Blob ? :neverusethis: :nomac:

Just pulling yer chain m8 ! :blob: :neverusethis:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2663 on: December 03, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »
I've been hearing this track for weeks now. And I didn't even once bat my eye on Labries singing. Until you made me listen for the flaw. Now I can't unhear it. Damn you!

Some people just love to criticise !

Offline TL

« Reply #2664 on: December 03, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »
First impression;

I like it. I'm pretty excited about the musical direction of this album now.
The lyrics were a mixed bag for me, but that's coming from someone who isn't really into the concept at this point. If this song is an indication of the music style though, I think I'll be able to enjoy it regardless of what I think of the lyrics.

The drums (and mix in general) definitely sound better than on DT12. They have a good punch this time around.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2665 on: December 03, 2015, 02:34:10 PM »

If there is a legitimate editing error, I have no problem passing it along to let them know, because it might just be one of those things where it isn't obvious unless you are listening for it, but once you are aware it is glaring.  That happens.  Bands release albums all the time with things like that.  But in this case, even knowing right where it supposedly is, I just don't hear it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #2666 on: December 03, 2015, 02:34:35 PM »
I don't know what was more hilarious, the song or the youtube comments.  One of them compared it to SDOIT.   :rollin   Bitch please...

Where/how did you find this on YouTube?

I just looked for it a little while ago, and all I found was a 38 second excerpt, with the commentary option disabled.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #2667 on: December 03, 2015, 02:34:52 PM »

Again, it's neither complaining or criticism!!! Just something I noticed!!
What do you call when people talk about the mixing, drum sound etc etc?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2668 on: December 03, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
I still don't hear the autotune even after focusing on it and replaying the part over and over.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #2669 on: December 03, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »
I don't know what was more hilarious, the song or the youtube comments.  One of them compared it to SDOIT.   :rollin   Bitch please...

Where/how did you find this on YouTube?

I just looked for it a little while ago, and all I found was a 38 second excerpt, with the commentary option disabled.

Go to DTs official YouTube channel :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPn1mCmqoE&feature=youtu.be

and there ARE definite Six Degrees vibes.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #2670 on: December 03, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »
Ok song. Sounds like it's a transitional song. Not like a segue or anything. More of a filler to keep the story going.

I thought it was supposed to be more of an "intro" song.

Did you not read the interview? "Jordan and I wrote the music as really a prog-metal score to the story. We didn't sit down and say, "Let's write a song, here's the first chorus, whatever." We would go through the story and say, "What's happening here, where is it taking place?" We had to make sure the mythology was right, the timeline was right."

They focus on the story first and foremost, so the songs will be most likely be shorter in order to convey a part of the story, and with repating themes throughout like you'll hear in a movie score. The songs will be standalone, but yet be telling a whole story, and be designed to be played as a whole.

"The one instance that kept speaking to me — where a band had this presentation where it wasn't only about the album, but there was a movie connected to it, there were animations, and there was a show that was immersive — was when Pink Floyd did The Wall. At the same time, I purposely didn't want to really think too much about other concept albums or rock operas, and come from more of a storytelling perspective, take my love for everything — whether it be Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, Les [Miserables], Jesus Christ Superstar, Disney movies — and come from the perspective of the elements that make those things so special, and such a big part of our lives."

Think movie score and musical, rather than Dream Theater.

I dont know why, but it kinda scare me that you say there wont be long tracks. I get that its a different concept, and I respect that. But after a while the story and all the surroundings will fade, and all we will be left with is the music. And I really think DT shines the most with the long songs. An album full of 4-5 min songs will just not age well with me I think. I get that this borders on Irrational thinking but I cant explain it, its just my feelings. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2671 on: December 03, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »
First impressions are that this is probably going to be ( at least ) the best sounding of the Mangini era.

Pretty good mix. No super heavy compressed in your face guitars. Snare sounds a lot nicer.

Sounds more like "classic" DT. If the whole album has this vibe - it will be the sound i've been missing since Octavarium.

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #2672 on: December 03, 2015, 02:39:43 PM »

If there is a legitimate editing error, I have no problem passing it along to let them know, because it might just be one of those things where it isn't obvious unless you are listening for it, but once you are aware it is glaring.  That happens.  Bands release albums all the time with things like that.  But in this case, even knowing right where it supposedly is, I just don't hear it.

I guess you will not hear the edit unless you're familiar with melodyne, and how that affects the sound. So lets just forget that I mentioned the mistake :-) Could be that it's supposed to sound that way/ they want it to sound that way 😊

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2673 on: December 03, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »
Problem is, if you know the software, you know the defect, so it will be apparent to you then if people point it out. There's a certain distortion which affects the vocals at that point. But I don't mind it, and I don't find it as glaring as certain other editing issues that have been left in the DT albums (like the mastering glitch on SFAM which was there for years (in fatal tragedy, a loud pop in the beginning).

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2674 on: December 03, 2015, 02:42:25 PM »
I still don't hear the autotune even after focusing on it and replaying the part over and over.
Same here for me. I've re-listened to the timestamp provided 10+ times and I got nothing.  :huh:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #2675 on: December 03, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
Same here for me. I'm re-listened to the timestamp provided 10+ times and I got nothing.  :huh:

All good then 😉

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: December 03, 2015, 02:43:48 PM »
Tuning vocals on modern rock records is really nothing new. it's been a thing for decades.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2677 on: December 03, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »
Ok song. Sounds like it's a transitional song. Not like a segue or anything. More of a filler to keep the story going.

Did you not read the interview? "Jordan and I wrote the music as really a prog-metal score to the story. We didn't sit down and say, "Let's write a song, here's the first chorus, whatever." We would go through the story and say, "What's happening here, where is it taking place?" We had to make sure the mythology was right, the timeline was right."

They focus on the story first and foremost, so the songs will be most likely be shorter in order to convey a part of the story, and with repating themes throughout like you'll hear in a movie score. The songs will be standalone, but yet be telling a whole story, and be designed to be played as a whole.

"The one instance that kept speaking to me — where a band had this presentation where it wasn't only about the album, but there was a movie connected to it, there were animations, and there was a show that was immersive — was when Pink Floyd did The Wall. At the same time, I purposely didn't want to really think too much about other concept albums or rock operas, and come from more of a storytelling perspective, take my love for everything — whether it be Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, Les [Miserables], Jesus Christ Superstar, Disney movies — and come from the perspective of the elements that make those things so special, and such a big part of our lives."

I dont know why, but it kinda scare me that you say there wont be long tracks. I get that its a different concept, and I respect that. But after a while the story and all the surroundings will fade, and all we will be left with is the music. And I really think DT shines the most with the long songs. An album full of 4-5 min songs will just not age well with me I think. I get that this borders on Irrational thinking but I cant explain it, its just my feelings.
Let's reserve the song length bashing for when you find out if there are actually no songs over 4-5 minutes.

And there really hasn't been anything definitive from anyone on the topic of track lengths, besides people saying this likely doesn't leave any room for a long epic. But who knows. Bosk and Noxon can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe anything has been released regarding the track lengths besides the song "The Gift of Music," which is 4:07.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2678 on: December 03, 2015, 02:45:32 PM »
As soon as someone pointed out the autotune I heard it. Before that, I didn't notice it. But now it's incredibly obvious to me. It's not a big deal unless you listen for it, but it is there.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2679 on: December 03, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »

I'm a big fan of their longer tracks too.  I think that we'll be able to combine two or more tracks into a longer "song" similar to the way that can be done on other albums - I can't think of any right now but you guys know what I'm talking about, right?

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #2680 on: December 03, 2015, 02:46:03 PM »
I can't hear it either :P

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2681 on: December 03, 2015, 02:46:52 PM »
Tuning vocals on modern rock records is really nothing new. it's been a thing for decades.

In the line "people just don't have the time for music anymore" the autotune gets a bit glitchy on the word "time" to my ears. Maybe I'm just mistaken.

I didn't notice it on the first listen either and it's nothing big anyways - nothing to complain over ;D
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #2682 on: December 03, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »
JP said something about authentic instruments, and a wide range of them, in the album. Im really looking forward to hearing that.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: December 03, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »

I guess you will not hear the edit unless you're familiar with melodyne, and how that affects the sound. So lets just forget that I mentioned the mistake :-) Could be that it's supposed to sound that way/ they want it to sound that way 😊

I am right there with you, I do a lot of work w Melodyne, mentioned this as well on page 73, 1:22 on the word "time" the way it pitches down is really unnatural, they could give that another go hopefully before the record is released. Also 1:16 " the lions share" on "lions"... even at :22 the word "in" but that's really getting in deep.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2684 on: December 03, 2015, 02:48:17 PM »
It's better than most of SC and BCSL, also felt like their older stuff most of the time.

Jamesman says: good job Dream Theater :) :) :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2685 on: December 03, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
ResultsMayVary is correct.  There has been nothing released about song lengths, other than the fact that The Gift Of Music is 4:07 or thereabouts.  Nobody who has any additional information is authorized to say anything more about it. 

But that being said, IMO, there is a lot of cool stuff to discuss other than how long songs we have never heard might or might not be.  Lots of cool information this week, including our first taste of the music.  We also have a really cool album cover.  This has been a REALLY good week for DT fans.  (and it might not be done yet)

Offline emtee

« Reply #2686 on: December 03, 2015, 02:51:10 PM »
As an older dude, with a collection of uncountable albums, many with total run times of 39-45 minutes and chock full of glorious
songs 4 minutes or less, I don't see any connection whatsoever between song length and song quality.

Further, IMO very long songs generally take many twists and turns, with sections seemingly unconnected to other sections
and thereby actually sound like a bunch of shorter songs.

An open mind is the key  ;D

Offline dvargas

« Reply #2687 on: December 03, 2015, 02:51:47 PM »
We do know that it is 2 hours and 10 min of music.  Per JP on Rolling Stone

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2688 on: December 03, 2015, 02:51:57 PM »
I have no idea what melodyne is, but the error on the word "time" really is glaring to me. I wouldn't back away from calling it critisism, in fact, it does sounds like a flat out mistake. But it doesn't really impact the track overall. I've listened maybe 5 times now and it's pretty good. But I am more excited to hear it in the context of the album.

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2689 on: December 03, 2015, 02:52:12 PM »
(and it might not be done yet)

*GOES CRAZY*  :biggrin:
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #2690 on: December 03, 2015, 02:52:50 PM »
Same here for me. I've re-listened to the timestamp provided 10+ times and I got nothing.  :huh:

I just went back to it and there is just something off about it. It's like "...people have no time for music anymore..." and it sounds like they tried to lower the pitch when LaBrie sings "time", so it sounds like "time[uaauw]", just between 1:22 and 1:23

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with album cover!)
« Reply #2691 on: December 03, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »
Track times and number of disks leaked:

Got pretty close there with The Gift of Music, let's see how you do with the rest of them.l
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2692 on: December 03, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »
I've always thought it weird that we tune guitars. we tune drums. we tune pianos.

but if we tune vocals on a studio album - people are like :dangerwillrobinson: dafuq

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with album cover!)
« Reply #2693 on: December 03, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »

Got pretty close there with The Gift of Music, let's see how you do with the rest of them.l

So Close ! :lol

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2694 on: December 03, 2015, 02:55:32 PM »

I just went back to it and there is just something off about it. It's like "...people have no time for music anymore..." and it sounds like they tried to lower the pitch when LaBrie sings "time", so it sounds like "time[uaauw]", just between 1:22 and 1:23

bingo. I heard it 1st listen. Really hope they can fix for the album.