Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200865 times)

Offline Nest777

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with album cover!)
« Reply #2380 on: December 03, 2015, 12:28:11 AM »
If there was any doubt about it, here you go: it IS a double album https://twitter.com/chycki/status/671796025787555840

Just 2 CDs, not 3, nor 4... nor 5 nor 8  :millahhhh

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2381 on: December 03, 2015, 12:38:51 AM »
After seeing the Nomac, the album art turned out to be everything I'd hoped it'd be.

Haven't really paid attention to any of the lore or story of this album, these days the music itself is all I care about. But it's still cool to see them doing a project this in depth. Not something I ever expected DT to do.

34 tracks. Exciting to see. Day one purchase definitely.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #2382 on: December 03, 2015, 12:40:37 AM »
And that's what people are going crazy about? ???
Mostly because James wrote to Kevin(Moore, not Labrie ;D) "Maybe one day our paths will cross again".
So the path won't divide them... Maybe because they've chosen the same side!! :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2383 on: December 03, 2015, 01:07:39 AM »
Question:

Is anyone else here planning on not hearing any snippet/single/whatsoever before the actual release?

With DT12, I had only heard TEI once beforeI got to listen to the whole album.
But I think this time I would be more harsh with myself, and make sure the first time I hear any of this album will be it's whole.

That's my plan.  No singles, no snippets, no Spotify, no doing what everybody does but should not talk about it here... I want to go to the store on release day, get the album and hear it from beginning to end for the first and complete time.

Did this for Iron Maiden's The Book of Souls, it was a rewarding experience  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

« Reply #2384 on: December 03, 2015, 02:24:43 AM »
Question:

Is anyone else here planning on not hearing any snippet/single/whatsoever before the actual release?

But I think this time I would be more harsh with myself, and make sure the first time I hear any of this album will be it's whole.

I'm thinking about not listening to anything before attending the show! But that means not listening to the album for a month or so after release. And in general I enjoy a show better when I know the songs, but I imagine it especially special to see a DT show full of music thats completely new to me.

Offline Kix

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: December 03, 2015, 02:52:32 AM »
Today feels like a good Dream Theater sort of day. Yes, yes it does.  :corn

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #2386 on: December 03, 2015, 03:07:15 AM »
Question:

I'm thinking about not listening to anything before attending the show! But that means not listening to the album for a month or so after release. And in general I enjoy a show better when I know the songs, but I imagine it especially special to see a DT show full of music thats completely new to me.
I agree but I don't think I could resist.. So, at this point, we can say that the album will be released before the European tour? I'm just a bit confused...Have they changed their minds?!  :huh:

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2387 on: December 03, 2015, 03:14:37 AM »
My estimate is end of january release, three weeks before the european tour shows start.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2388 on: December 03, 2015, 03:21:35 AM »
There have been a few unofficial sources saying the 29th of January, so I'm taking that as a tentative release date for now. I expect we'll have an official confirmation pretty soon one way or another, along with a single in the not too distant future.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2389 on: December 03, 2015, 03:32:43 AM »
I'll listen to singles and snippets. I don't care as much about "spoilers" when it comes to music as I do movies or TV shows. As long as there's something for me to listen to that I can enjoy, I will.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2390 on: December 03, 2015, 03:36:07 AM »
Yeah i'm not bothered about snippets etc.

It won't be like Black Clouds where Nightmare and Passage leaked and then when the album came out you only had 4 new songs...

We just need to know the production is stellar to go along with everything else.

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #2391 on: December 03, 2015, 04:10:55 AM »
previewing songs helps you avoid buying albums you DON'T like
in fact, I didn't buy Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds when they came out (later at bargain price)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: December 03, 2015, 04:37:03 AM »
It seems quite unusual to have info, tracklist and teh artwork but no set release date.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2393 on: December 03, 2015, 04:48:08 AM »
previewing songs helps you avoid buying albums you DON'T like
in fact, I didn't buy Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds when they came out (later at bargain price)

Completely understandable.

However, for me, I always liked anything Dream Theater ever put out. Some stuff I just love, some others I merely appreciate, but they never put out an album that, to my ears and for my tastes, is a total and complete turd. They never wrote their own Risk or St. Anger or a truly very crappy album, they're serious and talented musicians devoted to their music, I feel like rewarding them with "blind faith" when it comes to a new album, if and when - so far it never happened - they'll put out a record that will make me go "OMG what the bloody hell is this horrible and unlisteneable abomination" I'll reconsider next time around.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #2394 on: December 03, 2015, 06:22:45 AM »
Just waiting to pre-order the super deluxe box set lol. I'm guessing ( hoping ) it's going to
be awesome!!!!!   ;D  Love the album cover.   :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2395 on: December 03, 2015, 08:07:53 AM »
lol at all those fake leaks. They're either rush covers or some lame songs that don't even sound like DT :lol

I mean, how can the album be even leaked at this point? I think mixing/mastering ain't even finished.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #2396 on: December 03, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »
If there was any doubt about it, here you go: it IS a double album https://twitter.com/chycki/status/671796025787555840

Just 2 CDs, not 3, nor 4... nor 5 nor 8  :millahhhh

Hahah love Chycki, I imagine him like.. everyone wants to know.. i don't care i'll just tell

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #2397 on: December 03, 2015, 08:13:33 AM »
lol at all those fake leaks. They're either rush covers or some lame songs that don't even sound like DT :lol

I mean, how can the album be even leaked at this point? I think mixing/mastering ain't even finished.

A single are problaby mixed and mastered already

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2398 on: December 03, 2015, 08:16:05 AM »
there will be a single soon enough

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: December 03, 2015, 08:19:30 AM »

Is this fact or fiction.......?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2400 on: December 03, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »
Noxon and bosk1 have intimate knowledge on DT.  Trust their info.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Paintbox

« Reply #2401 on: December 03, 2015, 08:27:23 AM »

Leaking is absolutely possible at this point, and it would be easy to recognise Mangini's drum sound and to understand if the lyrics are inherent to what we know about the concept.

I wonder how tracks leak, does the band know about it? Are they ok with that?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:10:43 AM by ariich »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: December 03, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »
I wonder how tracks leak, does the band know about it? Are they ok with that?

Tracks leak because someone along the way does them the disservice.

I'm sure they are not ok with it unless it's an "intentional leak".. which I'm sure has happened to some bands to add hype to the whole release process.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2403 on: December 03, 2015, 08:39:06 AM »
Yea people are already deciphering fake lyrics for a fake leak on the interwebs, ridiculous how impatient some people get  :facepalm:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #2404 on: December 03, 2015, 08:48:49 AM »
I actually never bought an album myself (here in Serbia it's not as easy and common to buy albums via Internet). But I decided to buy this new album. What's the difference if I pre-order it or not? If I buy it like that, will I only get to download the album (like some game on Steam) or will it come to my address? I know these are stupid questions, but I have to ask somewhere.. .
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2405 on: December 03, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »
I imagine you get a physical copy sent to your adress, unless DT have gone Protest the Hero all over us.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2406 on: December 03, 2015, 08:52:42 AM »
Quote from:  Forum rules
2b. With regard to "leaked" material, you are not allowed to discuss the leaking or sharing of an album by any artist, or that an album has leaked.  In addition to the above, with regard to Dream Theater and side-projects by the members of Dream Theater, you may not discuss the leaked material whatsoever.  For other bands, you can in most cases discuss the content of the leaked material as long as you do not reference the leak, where you obtained the material, or sharing the leaked material.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2407 on: December 03, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »
Hellay, I am new here, I will just join in with the discussion :)

I decided NOT to listen to any pre released material, such as singles and stuff. I want to experience the full thing. Maybe just watch in the studio videos if they release some. I could never hold myself back the last times, but this time I WILL!!!!  >:(
Once the album is out, there will be The Astonishing and nothing but The Astonishing on my iPhone and iPod because I will not listen to anything different anyway. :D So I will be prepared for the concert ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #2408 on: December 03, 2015, 09:30:15 AM »
I don't think I'll actually buy this album. I was so disappointed by the sound of the latest one that I have only listened to it a few times. I have a lot of music that doesn't sound particularly great, including stuff I have mixed myself, but I actively dislike the DT mix. At least the HD download didn't have the brickwalled master on top. Sorry for being so negative, but I really look forward to the live show though  :tup
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2409 on: December 03, 2015, 09:30:22 AM »

I think we'll get it today, actually.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:10:29 AM by ariich »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2410 on: December 03, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »

I don't think I'll actually buy this album. I was so disappointed by the sound of the latest one that I have only listened to it a few times. I have a lot of music that doesn't sound particularly great, including stuff I have mixed myself, but I actively dislike the DT mix. At least the HD download didn't have the brickwalled master on top. Sorry for being so negative, but I really look forward to the live show though  :tup

How can you judge an album you haven't even heard a single note from yet? Trust me, this album WILL sound quite different from the previous, because it's nothing like it! They're going for "rock opera" not "cinematic", which leaves it much more open for soaring melodies and emotional/dramatic orchestration. As the picture from the mixing board showed - there's whole tracks (as in the pro tools type of track, not song type of track)  filled with just choirs, orchestra and brass. It's a given that they can't have this be as loud and as busy as the last one.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2411 on: December 03, 2015, 09:45:49 AM »
Because this makes sense.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #2412 on: December 03, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »
Is there any plans for a official release this week?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2413 on: December 03, 2015, 10:15:19 AM »
Hey guys! For good measure, probably just don't talk about leaks at all, fake or otherwise.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2414 on: December 03, 2015, 10:18:05 AM »
So this album won't be a 4-disc release? I'm disappoint :(