Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200911 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with album cover!)
« Reply #2310 on: December 02, 2015, 08:23:37 AM »
 :omg: Best. Cover art. Ever.  That needs to be a poster! I might have to cough up the $$$ for the vinyl just for that!

Those track times!  :lol 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:34:14 AM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2311 on: December 02, 2015, 08:58:17 AM »
Can we speculate on the videos? Will it be for just two songs, or is it Act I and Act II?

:tup

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2312 on: December 02, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »
I'm with kotowboy, kinda hoping that they're making-of videos.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2313 on: December 02, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »
I'm with kotowboy, kinda hoping that they're making-of videos.

Absolutely, I think for this type of project, making-of videos would be incredibly interesting.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2314 on: December 02, 2015, 09:16:04 AM »
I'm not saying there won't be making of videos (It would certainly be interesting), but given how everything else on The Astonishing page is to do with the concept, to me it seems more likely that those videos there will be concept-related. One might be a call-to-arms from Arhys, then a response from the Emperor, or something along those lines.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2315 on: December 02, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
A third show in Amsterdam. They're really trying to get me to buy tickets, aren't they?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2316 on: December 02, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »
A third show in Amsterdam. They're really trying to get me to buy tickets, aren't they?

I really think you should do all you can to go.  I know you are on the fence now, but I really think you will be kicking yourself down the road if you had an opportunity to go and did not.  Trust me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #2317 on: December 02, 2015, 09:55:46 AM »
So, was this what Bosk was hinting at, or do we have more to come this week?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #2318 on: December 02, 2015, 10:03:52 AM »

I really think you should do all you can to go.  I know you are on the fence now, but I really think you will be kicking yourself down the road if you had an opportunity to go and did not.  Trust me.
Just to put my mind at ease...do you know of any plans to bring the full Astonishing production they're putting together in Europe to North America? I'll travel all over the continent if I have to, but can't afford to go to Europe. This seems like it's going to be a MASSIVE production, regardless of the quality of the album (which I'm sure I'll love, because there's not a DT song existence that I find bad), and I can't miss it.

I hope those 2 videos aren't "making of" specials. I want a 60 min+ DVD with the deluxe edition of the album as a making of documentary. This is a huge concept. 2 YouTube videos won't cut it imo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2319 on: December 02, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »
So, was this what Bosk was hinting at, or do we have more to come this week?

There's one way to find out....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2320 on: December 02, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »

I hope those 2 videos aren't "making of" specials. I want a 60 min+ DVD with the deluxe edition of the album as a making of documentary. This is a huge concept. 2 YouTube videos won't cut it imo.

I hope they are BUT i'd prefer a 90 minute in the studio doc. This album is crying out for one. SURELY.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #2321 on: December 02, 2015, 10:14:42 AM »
Someone with nice photo editing skills should grab a nice picture of Sean Connery and transform him into Nafaryus, hair style and all. Somehow I wish they'd hire some actors for those pictures instead of computer design stuff, but it looks cool already :)

I'm sure someone else here already mentioned his resemblance with Sean Connery?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2322 on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »

Just to put my mind at ease...do you know of any plans to bring the full Astonishing production they're putting together in Europe to North America?

I honestly have no idea.  I would guess that they will do something similar in the U.S., but I do not have any inside info one way or the other.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2323 on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:54 AM »

Well. Damn. I know I don't like to buy tickets to a show before I hear the music. And I know I don't like to pay that much money for a live concert. I'll think about it. Or do you have some inside information to get me to rush to the online store?

'Their most Zappa-esque album to date'
 :lol
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2324 on: December 02, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
I think thatīs unprecedented, isnīt it? I canīt remember DT ever even playing a venue in The Netherlands TWICE, let alone Thrice!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance youīre always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2325 on: December 02, 2015, 10:35:26 AM »
The Nomacs are coming...run

https://fanart.tv/movie/75612/oblivion/
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #2326 on: December 02, 2015, 10:38:10 AM »

Well. Damn. I know I don't like to buy tickets to a show before I hear the music. And I know I don't like to pay that much money for a live concert. I'll think about it. Or do you have some inside information to get me to rush to the online store?
I'd go if I were you, the wide assumption, though not certainty, is the CDs will be out a few weeks before the tour begins.  Unless you're hit and miss with DT, there's a good chance you'll like it.  There's nothing DT has done that I don't like (I like some more than others, of course) so as long as I would be familiar with the music going in the risk would be very, very small.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2327 on: December 02, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »
I think thatīs unprecedented, isnīt it? I canīt remember DT ever even playing a venue in The Netherlands TWICE, let alone Thrice!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Twice in the HMH 2010 (I believe, I was there!)

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #2328 on: December 02, 2015, 10:57:25 AM »
Ahh, welcome to DT Forum - a place where you can get corrected for saying 'landscapes' instead of 'panoramic landscapes', and having the sky in too many album covers is dealt with cries of disenchantment. How can you not love it?  ;D

I'm certainly not crying.. And people correcting each other is something that happens all over the internet, and also... wait... where have I seen that too?..... Oh, in real life.. If you live under the DTF rock, that's you..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2329 on: December 02, 2015, 11:03:04 AM »
I'm not saying there won't be making of videos (It would certainly be interesting), but given how everything else on The Astonishing page is to do with the concept, to me it seems more likely that those videos there will be concept-related. One might be a call-to-arms from Arhys, then a response from the Emperor, or something along those lines.

That's actually a really good point. I'd be cool with concept related videos on the web page and a special edition of the album with a DVD making-of documentary.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #2330 on: December 02, 2015, 11:11:58 AM »
8 NOMACs on the album cover. 5 on the tracklist. HMMMMMMMM...

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2331 on: December 02, 2015, 11:51:56 AM »
This whole thing, this album and all of the extras being built up around it,... this is just fantastic.  Consider the amount of time that has to be invested to not just writing and recording all of this material, but all of the investment in developing characters, world(s), and the story!  Plus the thought that has to go into the artwork, and all the extra bits (maps, videos).  Man...

I don't mean to ramble, I just got through catching up on the last 10 pages of this thread, and after seeing the album artwork so many times, I'm feeling pretty pumped.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2332 on: December 02, 2015, 11:57:35 AM »

I think this will be really special... I will go to both shows in Stockholm. ..
Get your ticket to Amsterdam or regret it later on...

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2333 on: December 02, 2015, 12:15:23 PM »
Trust me. You do not want to miss this.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #2334 on: December 02, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »
From Tom Russell's facebook:

I've just been listening to some of the new Dream Theater album - It's called The Astonishing and in my opinion, it is truly Astonishing
You'll be able to hear tracks from it and an interview with the band soon on RealRadioXS

Bosk does this sound right to you? I'm aware this guy doesn't actually give a date but seems like it could be pretty soon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2335 on: December 02, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »
I'm not specifically aware of what he may be able to play on his show in terms of interviews or music.  But it is my understanding that some music from it will be available before too long, just as they have made music from other albums available prior to release.  I really cannot say more than that.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: December 02, 2015, 12:36:12 PM »

I've just been listening to some of the new Dream Theater album - It's called The Astonishing and in my opinion, it is truly Astonishing
You'll be able to hear tracks from it and an interview with the band soon on RealRadioXS

Bosk does this sound right to you? I'm aware this guy doesn't actually give a date but seems like it could be pretty soon

Who is this Tom Russel.....? Can't find his FB

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2337 on: December 02, 2015, 12:39:34 PM »
I'm not specifically aware of what he may be able to play on his show in terms of interviews or music.  But it is my understanding that some music from it will be available before too long, just as they have made music from other albums available prior to release.  I really cannot say more than that.

Sure you can! :D

Honestly, the only thing I'd be wondering at this point is that if the US will get the "album in its entirety" tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2338 on: December 02, 2015, 12:46:04 PM »
I wonder if there will be a "normal" tour after that for this album... they played all of SFAM worldwide, and then went back and played further gigs with songs from all the albums, that's actually the second time I saw them back in 2000, a summer show with a "normal" setlist. Too early to tell but I wonder if there will be regular concerts in venues and festivals with only some songs off The Astonishing while it is still the most recent album released.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2339 on: December 02, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
Crisis averted - the interview and the tracks will air in january.

Online Shadow2222

« Reply #2340 on: December 02, 2015, 12:55:32 PM »
Honestly, the only thing I'd be wondering at this point is that if the US will get the "album in its entirety" tour.

I'd be really upset if we missed out on whatever Europe is getting.

I wouldn't call that "crisis averted"  :lol

What if I WANT to hear a snippet/song now?
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2341 on: December 02, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »

why delay an already-recorded interview's release to january
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2342 on: December 02, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
@Bosk - Speaking of those video chats, which were really great, any hope of another one in the future? They had a lighthearted feel that reminded me of the DVD commentaries that they sadly no longer do.

Funny you should ask.  I have been thinking about that lately and would really like to.  But there are some logistical difficulties that I do not think will allow it this time around.  I am talking to folks to see whether or not it can happen, and I personally would like to see it happen, but I am thinking it probably won't work this time around.  We'll see.  If not, I have some other ideas I am working on as well.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2343 on: December 02, 2015, 01:03:33 PM »

why delay an already-recorded interview's release to january

Just like albums are recorded and movies are filmed way before their release, the interviews are being contractually scheduled to be released when the band / the label wants interviews, reviews and song snippets to be released. Maybe by the time they want the interviews out they can't do interviews to be released the day after 'cause they're already busy with rehearsals.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2344 on: December 02, 2015, 01:04:45 PM »

Who is this Tom Russel.....? Can't find his FB

https://www.facebook.com/tom.russell.967