Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200908 times)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1960 on: November 28, 2015, 03:44:39 PM »
The Astonishing is clearly ADTOE sequel.

Americans are mentiones in OTBOA
This is the life, a better life, get it?

Lost not Forgotten is the tale of Nafaryus told by himself in his mind.
Outcry is the theme of the rebels.

It's very clear.

Call it what you will but that actually makes a lot of sense!
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1961 on: November 28, 2015, 04:01:18 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks that Darkstarshades was very clearly sarcastic?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1962 on: November 28, 2015, 04:04:43 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks that Darkstarshades was very clearly sarcastic?

I thought he was joking as well . . . but it still kind of makes sense to my mind :P

Or maybe I'm just crazy like that :lol
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1963 on: November 28, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
I'm pleased they're marketing this album differently. Infers a bit of change, which is definitely welcome to me. Apart from that, I have to say all the detail so far is pretty unappealing. Echoes of 2112 - how fresh... Does offer glints of Rush influence, mind, and I really dig em in that mode. Who knows!?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1964 on: November 28, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »
I was joking and being sarcastic, but not for the reasons you may think.

I'm convinced that there's totally a connection between these two, or that there might be, but I'm also aware that that's extremely unlikely to be, as this is just a revolution story.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #1965 on: November 28, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »
Well SFAM had Home and Finally Free, which even though they're not exactly epics, they're still above 10 minutes

You forgot the best of the three 10 minute songs of that album..
This made me smile since I am very attached to that song you're referring to :)
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1966 on: November 28, 2015, 07:27:12 PM »
I can't wait til the band starts shedding some light on the story/world they've created via press interviews and the locked videos on the website. It'll be interesting to find out exactly what this album is about.

This. But most of all... I WANT SNIPPETZZZZZZZZZ!

Offline CharlesPL

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1968 on: November 28, 2015, 07:33:48 PM »
Maybe because it's not officially announced, it's just a placeholder.

I know it doesn't mean anything, but, it seems like too big of concept and all of this work for 80 minutes of music. I still think it will be a two disc album
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #1969 on: November 28, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »
I hope this isn't a single disc  :(
But I thought it was confirmed as a double album? ???
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1970 on: November 28, 2015, 09:21:19 PM »
I hope this isn't a single disc  :(
But I thought it was confirmed as a double album? ???

I don't think it's been officially confirmed first-hand by the band. The closest I'm aware of is Mangini sharing a link about the album/tour that called it a double album. That may or may constitute proof.
With this many tracks, I think there's no way it's a single disc. I wouldn't even be surprised at this point if it ended up being 3. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1971 on: November 28, 2015, 09:27:50 PM »
With this many tracks, I think there's no way it's a single disc. I wouldn't even be surprised at this point if it ended up being 3. :lol

Man, that would be amazing . . . 4 hours of DT!

That would extend the average song length to 7 minutes too, so no worrying about too many short songs . . .

Think that's too good to be true though :lol :rollin

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #1972 on: November 28, 2015, 09:35:07 PM »

Man, that would be amazing . . . 4 hours of DT!

That would extend the average song length to 7 minutes too, so no worrying about too many short songs . . .

Think that's too good to be true though :lol :rollin

Once it gets that big though, it can be really risky. Even for DT, how many fans will have the attention to listen to 4 hours of music in one sitting and stay interested?
I'm not opposed to it but it is something to consider   :o
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1973 on: November 28, 2015, 09:35:39 PM »
It was just a joke. :biggrin:
There's no way it's 4 hours, since that would be ridiculous, and also because their live show is already confirmed to be 2 hours and 40 minutes, so that's your max. I'm concerned enough about it being two discs of material, let alone more.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1974 on: November 28, 2015, 09:39:16 PM »
I know, a part of me just wanted to believe that it was seriously gonna happen :lol

That would be my Dream come true, but yeah some others may not have the attention span . . .

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #1975 on: November 28, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »
It was just a joke. :biggrin:
There's no way it's 4 hours, since that would be ridiculous, and also because their live show is already confirmed to be 2 hours and 40 minutes, so that's your max. I'm concerned enough about it being two discs of material, let alone more.

2 sets, 2 hours eh.  :laugh: well it's definitely a double album  :corn
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #1976 on: November 28, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »
I know, a part of me just wanted to believe that it was seriously gonna happen :lol

I guess we both get a little hyped on speculation then...   :rollin
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1977 on: November 28, 2015, 09:44:21 PM »
Yeah :lol

Not speaking for you, but there are times I definitely need to :chill on this forum xD

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1978 on: November 28, 2015, 09:56:06 PM »
Well, I definitely wouldn't want a 4 disc album o_o

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1979 on: November 28, 2015, 09:59:10 PM »
For me, the more discs the better :lol . . .

. . . as long as the quality doesn't go down when the quantity goes up ;)

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1980 on: November 28, 2015, 10:02:47 PM »
It took me a while to have the attention span to digest ACOS.  Breaking it up on the live album helped me separate the parts.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #1981 on: November 28, 2015, 10:06:28 PM »
Ok, what would you think if when the Astonishing came out, it had a 'part 1' tagged onto the title? (and it's a double album)  :eek
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Illegalastronaught

• Buzz
  • I am not of this world
« Reply #1982 on: November 28, 2015, 10:23:01 PM »
Ok, what would you think if when the Astonishing came out, it had a 'part 1' tagged onto the title? (and it's a double album)  :eek

That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so hyped!!!!!!!!  :hat
"That's one small step for man" - Hollywood

Offline Illegalastronaught

• Buzz
  • I am not of this world
« Reply #1983 on: November 28, 2015, 10:25:45 PM »
I predict there will be a guitar solo?  :censored
"That's one small step for man" - Hollywood

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1984 on: November 28, 2015, 10:49:57 PM »
I hadn't noticed that there were multiple choruses following James's voice throughout the entire ITPOE Pt1
Awesome.

Now that I've made my nonrelated post, I can relate.

JR recently made a Kronos review, where he plays a very medieval thing, is this from any of his projects ot is it a small foreshadow of the album?

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #1985 on: November 28, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
JR recently made a Kronos review, where he plays a very medieval thing, is this from any of his projects ot is it a small foreshadow of the album?

Well if I can say anything, it doesn't sound improvised...
...  :eek
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #1986 on: November 28, 2015, 11:43:45 PM »
Well SFAM had Home and Finally Free, which even though they're not exactly epics, they're still above 10 minutes

You forgot the best of the three 10 minute songs of that album..
This made me smile since I am very attached to that song you're referring to :)

Oh my God, I can't believe I forgot about BTL.  It's funny, because I actually like BTL more than Home (Home is overrated IMO).  Home just stands out more, I don't know why.  FF is the best of the three though  ;D

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: November 28, 2015, 11:57:05 PM »

It could definitely fit with the upcoming concept and how they present it in mails....

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1988 on: November 29, 2015, 01:47:00 AM »
Considering the story is set in the future (2285), all the place and people names and the way they're spelt make them sound Olde Worlde, iykwIm.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #1989 on: November 29, 2015, 03:44:49 AM »

It could definitely fit with the upcoming concept and how they present it in mails....

Anyone have a link?  Spent ages looking at Kronos demos and I'm not sure which you're all referring to.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1990 on: November 29, 2015, 03:46:21 AM »

Anyone have a link?  Spent ages looking at Kronos demos and I'm not sure which you're all referring to.

I found it on Jordans Facebook...

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1991 on: November 29, 2015, 03:54:19 AM »
Nice find. Here's the direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1pXlIYbOc
Doesn't sound improvised to me either.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1992 on: November 29, 2015, 03:55:35 AM »
*Jordan randomly plays a vaguely medieval tune on his keyboard whilst at soundcheck*

Petrucci: That was kinda cool - LETS WRITE A FUTURISTIC YET MEDIEVAL DOUBLE CONCEPT ALBUM BASED AROUND THAT.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1993 on: November 29, 2015, 04:01:09 AM »

*Jordan randomly plays a vaguely medieval tune on his keyboard whilst at soundcheck*

Petrucci: That was kinda cool - LETS WRITE A FUTURISTIC YET MEDIEVAL DOUBLE CONCEPT ALBUM BASED AROUND THAT.
:lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1994 on: November 29, 2015, 04:12:13 AM »
Nice find. Here's the direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1pXlIYbOc
Doesn't sound improvised to me either.

I think its improvised. You guys may be underestimating his skill in that regard, as his improvs are often more intricate than his actual written parts. Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-5rSmGQoTc