Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200800 times)

Offline jdprsaga

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1120 on: November 18, 2015, 01:35:40 PM »
I can vouch for Noxon's credentials.  Pretty sure he has not heard any of the new album.  But he is privy to much of the same info I am privy to, and he knows what he is talking about.

Speaking of which, keep an eye on your emails and Twitter, folks.  Apparently, is not pleased.  :)

Damn.. so this afternoon I'm going to be refreshing DTF every 5 min, gmail every 5, twitter every 5 min..

my boss is going to fire me!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1121 on: November 18, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »
I can vouch for Noxon's credentials.   
And I can vouch for Bosk's credentials! :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Dream Theater's "The Astonishing" - What We Know So Far
« Reply #1122 on: November 18, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
So the NOMACs are spreading the Empire's music and Arhys doesn't like that.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1123 on: November 18, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »
From Arhys:

"Fair citizenry , all who thirst for freedom and fairness! It is I, Arhys, Son of Marhys, heir to the forbidden Legion Of Sorrowful Song. Once again by means most inscrutable, we have biohacked the arcane technocratic wizardry of the Empire, revealing truths of equal incredulity and immutability. Serve not the NOMACS, because they do not serve you! Our just and noble intrigue hath uncovered a conspiracy most foul, a mistruth born of the Age of Perilous Judgment wrought by our ancestry. Fear not, heed not, the endless drone of the NOMACS, these foul Noise Machines, as they serve only to perpetuate our enduring oppression. Break free from the shackles of complicity, yield to the melodious siren call from distant Ravenskill, for I have heard it, and it shall shatter all that we know in service of all that must be. Examine these unearthed and exposed schematics for the NOMACS, revealing their true purpose most deceitful and profane. Weapons of our oppression are they, tools of an Empire that has run amok with undeserved power! Resist the NOMACS! Resist and be free! Stay vigilant for more communications from those most loyal to the Chosen One. My brothers and sisters across the Realm, the Rebellion continues to strengthen, and soon will arise! Prepare!"

Maybe some music is coming soon
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #1124 on: November 18, 2015, 01:53:18 PM »
Its so nerdy, I love it! :rollin

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1125 on: November 18, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »
I can vouch for TAC's credentials.

:TAC:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sdfdsv

« Reply #1126 on: November 18, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »
So now we know, NOMAC = Noise Machine

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: November 18, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
I can vouch for TAC's credentials.

:TAC:

Actually Hef, those be my credentials... I'll own it!  TAC has shamed me a few times...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1128 on: November 18, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »
Didn't even put two and two together. Cool!
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1129 on: November 18, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »

Yeah, nice catch!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1130 on: November 18, 2015, 02:15:43 PM »

Didn't either. Thanks, sdfdsv!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1131 on: November 18, 2015, 02:26:32 PM »
Did you guys see that person for scale between the bottom middle and bottom left NOMAC? Those things are huge!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1132 on: November 18, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »
What if once they finish revealing the tracklist, they reveal half the characters, half the maps and one video, followed by artwork and release date the week after?
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: November 18, 2015, 02:39:25 PM »
Did you guys see that person for scale between the bottom middle and bottom left NOMAC? Those things are huge!

This was discussed at some point before.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1134 on: November 18, 2015, 03:09:45 PM »
Noise Machines... brilliant find!

So, they're like many small "big brothers" watching the population and "keeping them safe" while instead they spy on them or something? they make noise and sound is forbidden?

I hope that music will play a part in the storyline... it would be nice if the message that comes out of it is that a society is better if there's music in it. Like I said in what was probably the nuked thread, Fahrenheit 451 was about banned books, maybe this is about banned music and how the new discovering of it will lead people to be free from tyranny.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1135 on: November 18, 2015, 03:12:16 PM »
I hope that music will play a part in the storyline... it would be nice if the message that comes out of it is that a society is better if there's music in it. Like I said in what was probably the nuked thread, Fahrenheit 451 was about banned books, maybe this is about banned music and how the new discovering of it will lead people to be free from tyranny.

I think music playing a part in the story is guaranteed. Not only do all of the messages from Arhys and Nafaryus reference sound/music ("Legion of Sorrowful Song," "melodious siren song," "seek the Songs for yourself"), but there is a song/track entitled The Gift of Music.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1136 on: November 18, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »
NOMACS pieces: JR weird noises or MM doing crazy solos?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1137 on: November 18, 2015, 04:09:16 PM »
NOMACS pieces: JR weird noises or MM doing crazy solos?

Either both together, or the former. The later NOMAC tracks could be 'reminders', as it were. They're still there watching everything unfold.

Also, all this guessing/speculation is fun! I mean, the revealing of actual information is better, but guessing based on what we know so far will bide the time well enough until that infomation is revealed.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1138 on: November 18, 2015, 04:13:44 PM »
I don't know what you think, but for me, these NOMACs and Tech stuff are totally connected to the new Geoshred.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline shredd

• Always Awake
  • ROCK ON!
« Reply #1139 on: November 18, 2015, 06:00:46 PM »
So on the topic of The Astonishing being Metropolis Part 3,
What if...
Lord Nafaryus = The Miracle/Edward/Hypnotherapist
Arhys = The Sleeper/Julian/The Old Man (who I speculate was Julian's reincarnation)
The Melody = Metropolis/Victoria/Nicholas (Coz she was a city first so why not a melody)
We move in circles - Balanced all the while - On a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere - Colliding with our fate - This story ends where it began

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: November 18, 2015, 06:05:06 PM »
no

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1141 on: November 18, 2015, 06:07:36 PM »
Very interesting, Arhys. Very interesting.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1142 on: November 18, 2015, 07:07:14 PM »

Nice catch.

The "s" should still be lowercase, though!
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1143 on: November 18, 2015, 07:08:17 PM »
1. 2285 entr´acte

Except "2285 Entr'acte" doesn't have the NOMAC symbol..  ;)
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #1144 on: November 18, 2015, 07:21:33 PM »
So this probably means the first track is indeed going to be some sort of noise swell.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1145 on: November 18, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »
Quite possibly the Northern Empire themed songs will be dissonant, unstructured "noise inspired" and Ravenskill songs will be melodic and orchestrated.

Reminiscent of 6 Degrees, where disc 1 focused on minor keys with heavy guitar presence and disc 2 was upbeat major, keyboard dominant.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1146 on: November 18, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »
Quite possibly the Northern Empire themed songs will be dissonant, unstructured "noise inspired" and Ravenskill songs will be melodic and orchestrated.

Reminiscent of 6 Degrees, where disc 1 focused on minor keys with heavy guitar presence and disc 2 was upbeat major, keyboard dominant.

I on the other hand think that the Empire themed songs should be epic, orchestrated, pompous, exaggerated, intimidating... It's an empire afterall, or maybe that's just my Star Wars inner nerd speaking,  :rollin

Also, Lord Nafaryus uses the word NOMACS to describe, well... the NOMACS. Why would the Empire call something that's usefull to them and supposedly work in their favor as... Noise machines? Sounds a bit derogatory to me   :huh:

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #1147 on: November 18, 2015, 07:53:25 PM »
I'm starting to think that the 'Empire songs' will be heavier, but still full of orchestral elements, and lots and lots of strings. The 'Rebel songs' will be "proggier", with a more medieval vibe. Just guessing here...hyped as hell! Looking forward to what's going to happen  :corn

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1148 on: November 18, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »

I on the other hand think that the Empire themed songs should be epic, orchestrated, pompous, exaggerated, intimidating... It's an empire afterall, or maybe that's just my Star Wars inner nerd speaking,  :rollin

Also, Lord Nafaryus uses the word NOMACS to describe, well... the NOMACS. Why would the Empire call something that's usefull to them and supposedly work in their favor as... Noise machines? Sounds a bit derogatory to me   :huh:

It's Commander Arhys who calls them noise machines in the email, not Nafaryus.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1149 on: November 18, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »

It's Commander Arhys who calls them noise machines in the email, not Nafaryus.

I know. What I mean is that people are guessing that NOMACS oficially stand for Noise Machines, and Nafaryus calls them NOMACS... unless it's just the "official" name that only the rebels will use, and it actually means something completely different for the empire.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1150 on: November 18, 2015, 08:15:39 PM »
I know. What I mean is that people are guessing that NOMACS oficially stand for Noise Machines, and Nafaryus calls them NOMACS... unless it's just the "official" name that only the rebels will use, and it actually means something completely different for the empire.

Sorry, just woke up. Brain not worky good. :lol
I didn't even make the connection that NOMAC is a smooshing of NOise MAChine. From the empire's POV, I don't think noise machine would necessarily be a derogatory term, since that noise is considered good. It's also possible the true meaning of NOMAC is largely lost to time to most of the people in the empire.

And I didn't realize how big the NOMACs would be. I was expecting somewhere from 1-4 feet diameter. Not that it makes a difference, although it's more ominous.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1151 on: November 18, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »

Sorry, just woke up. Brain not worky good. :lol
I didn't even make the connection that NOMAC is a smooshing of NOise MAChine. From the empire's POV, I don't think noise machine would necessarily be a derogatory term, since that noise is considered good. It's also possible the true meaning of NOMAC is largely lost to time to most of the people in the empire.

Yeah, that makes sense :) The Empire uses the NOMACS to produce noise and overwhelm the Rebellion's "sorrowfull song"... Or is it the NOMACS that are using the Empire? :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1153 on: November 18, 2015, 08:26:32 PM »
I think music playing a part in the story is guaranteed. Not only do all of the messages from Arhys and Nafaryus reference sound/music ("Legion of Sorrowful Song," "melodious siren song," "seek the Songs for yourself"), but there is a song/track entitled The Gift of Music.
Definitely seems like their own take on 2112.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #1154 on: November 18, 2015, 10:21:12 PM »
That's what I thought!