Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200944 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1015 on: November 17, 2015, 04:31:36 AM »
Now we know "Digital Discord" is not the end of the first act, since three more track titles were published, but we know for sure that there will be a "Moment of Betrayal". So, "A Tempting Offer" might definitely be related to this treason.

If I may expand on your theory:
The X Aspect - Chosen One sees new possibilities in joining the GNE & becomes corrupt with power, just as the previous ruler had.
A New Beginning - Ravenskill carries on with a new Chosen One, who ends up failing to live up to the efforts of the previous one, meanwhile GNE carries on a new beginning in tactics with their newfound ally.
The Road To Revolution - Ravenskill & GNE prepare to go to war with each other, Ravenskill frustrated with their former efforts failing.
2285 Entr'acte - Battle is played out in instrumentals (like By-Tor & The Snow Dog).
Moment Of Betrayal - Just as the Rebel Militia are about to lose, a member [probably the ruler] of the GNE attempts to murder the Chosen One in fear that he may have never been on their side in the first place &/or may change sides again. He is saved however by one of his former friends in Ravenskill.
Heaven's Cove - The Chosen One & his old friend exchange dialogue about the former events in a place they used to go as children (before either of these factions had formed). The Chosen One eventually makes some important decision about something that ends up happening later [though that we don't know yet].
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #1016 on: November 17, 2015, 04:39:20 AM »
I think the whole Act I is sort of a prelude to the Album timeline. It ends right at the point of time when the 'mails' are sent out.

That would mean Tracks 6-8 might be portraying the rise of Lord Nafaryus to Emperor! Then the story moves on to Ravenskill where 'Brother, Can you hear me?' introduces Arhys and the Chosen One followed by a song about Ravenskill. Then he gets chosen and the road to revolution starts manifesting.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:12:24 AM by Vandalism »
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #1017 on: November 17, 2015, 05:46:39 AM »
I personally think the NOMAC icon next to certain tracks signifies the start of a larger divided track or suite. The idea that there are 3 large tracks in the first act divided into sections makes a lot more sense to me than a band of this progressive level putting out 20 short singular compositions. Also if the counter argument is 'how doesn't act 2/disc 2 begin with a NOMAC symbol?' Well there are a couple of possibilities to this theory; Disc 1 could end with track 16; 'A tempting offer' or disc 2 could begin with Act 2's interlude track '2285 Entr'acte' but with a transition that can divide the track without loosing momentum, like ITPOE Pt2 or the middle of IT. I think this is the most likely imo, but being dream theater and this album seeming so very different to the past I could be on a completely different wavelength!

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1018 on: November 17, 2015, 05:47:21 AM »
I'm sure people must see a pattern developing for how the tracks are released - maybe someone already pointed it out.

I'm guessing we should have all the tracks by the 30th.  Maybe something like this . . . .

Thu 5     Tracks 1-5
Mon 9     Tracks 6-11
Thu 12    Tracks 12-17
Mon 16    Tracks 18-20 1-3
-------------------------
Thu 19    Tracks 4-8?
Mon 23    Tracks 9-13?
Thu 26      Tracks 14-19?
Mon 30      Track 20?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1019 on: November 17, 2015, 05:50:33 AM »
I guess since it's always been either 5 or 6 tracks they could also do one more 6 track update instead of 5 and skip that last date with only the 20th track revealed, that is, if there's 20 tracks on the 2nd act.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1020 on: November 17, 2015, 06:02:55 AM »
I personally think the NOMAC icon next to certain tracks signifies the start of a larger divided track or suite. The idea that there are 3 large tracks in the first act divided into sections makes a lot more sense to me than a band of this progressive level putting out 20 short singular compositions. Also if the counter argument is 'how doesn't act 2/disc 2 begin with a NOMAC symbol?' Well there are a couple of possibilities to this theory; Disc 1 could end with track 16; 'A tempting offer' or disc 2 could begin with Act 2's interlude track '2285 Entr'acte' but with a transition that can divide the track without loosing momentum, like ITPOE Pt2 or the middle of IT. I think this is the most likely imo, but being dream theater and this album seeming so very different to the past I could be on a completely different wavelength!

I personally don't see the point of a symbol to denote a song. Why not just give the "song" name in the reveal? And what's with everyone's ginormous prog boner for wanting obscenely long songs on this anyway? It's already a multi-disc concept album that forms a cohesive whole, why would it need to be grouped into long songs? SFAM didn't do it, it was just grouped by nameless "scenes" where they flowed into each other, which even then wasn't really necessary.

I have no idea what the NOMAC symbol is, but I don't think this fits. Why would you have an act split in the middle of a "song"? And why would you have something called 2283 Entr'acte in the middle of a song? That sounds like too definitive a split point to me, which it is as the start of Act II.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1021 on: November 17, 2015, 06:09:59 AM »
Not really buying that theory either.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #1022 on: November 17, 2015, 06:12:02 AM »

I personally don't see the point of a symbol to denote a song. Why not just give the "song" name in the reveal? And what's with everyone's ginormous prog boner for wanting obscenely long songs on this anyway? It's already a multi-disc concept album that forms a cohesive whole, why would it need to be grouped into long songs? SFAM didn't do it, it was just grouped by nameless "scenes" where they flowed into each other, which even then wasn't really necessary.

I have no idea what the NOMAC symbol is, but I don't think this fits. Why would you have an act split in the middle of a "song"? And why would you have something called 2283 Entr'acte in the middle of a song? That sounds like too definitive a split point to me, which it is as the start of Act II.

Yeah I understand that. I'm just curious as to what it means and speculating, I am not obsessed with the overly long songs... It's just something DT tend to do. They love lengthy compositions, Even SFAM had 3 songs over 11 and a half minutes so I'm just wondering how it'll pan out. Will each act flow completely from track to track or will the NOMAC icon symbolise the beginning of a new suite? that was more what I was getting at. It could be anything really, I just can't imagine 20 individual verse/chorus compositions on each act following a 2-5 minute structure... That's a hell of a lot of work for the band to do, I think the way Ayreon did the Theory of Everything is the type of structure im trying to get at.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1023 on: November 17, 2015, 06:20:22 AM »

Yeah I understand that. I'm just curious as to what it means and speculating, I am not obsessed with the overly long songs... It's just something DT tend to do. They love lengthy compositions, Even SFAM had 3 songs over 11 and a half minutes so I'm just wondering how it'll pan out. Will each act flow completely from track to track or will the NOMAC icon symbolise the beginning of a new suite? that was more what I was getting at. It could be anything really, I just can't imagine 20 individual verse/chorus compositions on each act following a 2-5 minute structure... That's a hell of a lot of work for the band to do, I think the way Ayreon did the Theory of Everything is the type of structure im trying to get at.

That comment about the overly long songs wasn't aimed specifically at you, a lot of people have mentioned it, so I'm not picking on you or anything. :lol

With this many tracks, I'm sure a lot of it will flow together regardless of how it's classified, perhaps more so than SFAM. Given the apparent story-driven nature of it, I think there could be several really short tracks for just story, with narration and sound effects, maybe some subtle music underneath to bridge the surrounding tracks together. I imagine Descent of the NOMACS could be under a minute. It's just before the Overture, so I can't see it being anything too "meaty" musically.

I agree it probably won't be a ton of shorter songs in a standard structure of unique verse and chorus, a lot of it could be bridging sections like Through My Words, shorter songs composed of the recurring themes, more of a free flowing structure. SFAM utilizes a lot of recurring melodies and repeated choruses.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #1024 on: November 17, 2015, 06:31:48 AM »
What if the chosen is the son of Lord Nafaryus? or the brother of Arhys?

What if Lord Nafaryus and Arhys are relatives?

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #1025 on: November 17, 2015, 06:33:48 AM »
Yeah that makes sense! I am intrigued though, It's interesting to see how the whole album will flow given the vast amount of tracks... Very exciting, Most excited I've been for an album before release since Systematic Chaos (Which went brilliantly haha)

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1026 on: November 17, 2015, 06:41:06 AM »
Holy damn this album has got me excited. The number of tracks just makes my mind go wild. I really hope for a really diverse album with good flow between the tracks. This is toooooo good for me to handle  :mehlin

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1027 on: November 17, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »
Holy damn this album has got me excited. The number of tracks just makes my mind go wild. I really hope for a really diverse album with good flow between the tracks. This is toooooo good for me to handle  :mehlin

Yeah! I'm expecting a cross between "The Wall" meets "Game of Thrones".
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1028 on: November 17, 2015, 06:47:01 AM »
I'm calling it. Epic.  :hat
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:37 AM »

Offline Nest777

« Reply #1030 on: November 17, 2015, 06:57:48 AM »

Well, the chosen one is IN FACT Arhys' brother:

I am here to tell you that not only is this Chosen One real, and not a fiction as the Emperor’s messengers insist, but this Chosen One is, in fact, my blood, and my brother.

And I don't think Nafaryus is a relative of Arhys and the Chosen One:

I am Arhys, Son of Marhys, one of three remaining heirs to the displaced, forgotten, and forbidden Legion Of Sorrowful Song.

Marhys Nafaryus is a too horrible name for just one person  :lol
But yes, I think they may be related in some way, but they're not direct relatives. Maybe an 'I'm your uncle' thing?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: November 17, 2015, 07:06:59 AM »
The updates are just coming too slow for me. Someone wake me when they announce the date that the "Game Master's Guide" and "Player's Handbook" will be released.

Oh, and will there be a computer simulation release by Wizdom software. If so, I hope it's a RTS and not that fuc*&% turn based crap.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1032 on: November 17, 2015, 07:14:51 AM »
If I ever caught myself thing that 2-3 updates a week was too slow, I would hope I would have the self-awareness to have my ADD meds upped a notch.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: November 17, 2015, 07:20:07 AM »
Sorry, my previous post should have been in green. I assumed that would be apparent. My mistake.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #1034 on: November 17, 2015, 07:25:51 AM »

Well, the chosen one is IN FACT Arhys' brother:

I am here to tell you that not only is this Chosen One real, and not a fiction as the Emperor’s messengers insist, but this Chosen One is, in fact, my blood, and my brother.

And I don't think Nafaryus is a relative of Arhys and the Chosen One:

I am Arhys, Son of Marhys, one of three remaining heirs to the displaced, forgotten, and forbidden Legion Of Sorrowful Song.

Marhys Nafaryus is a too horrible name for just one person  :lol
But yes, I think they may be related in some way, but they're not direct relatives. Maybe an 'I'm your uncle' thing?

Maybe Marhys and Nafaryus are brothers, and could be and "I'm your uncle" thing.

I think we will have to wait until December to see the face of another character, but it would be great to see some other before and maybe another part of the map.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1035 on: November 17, 2015, 07:33:59 AM »
I'm almost ashamed to admit that I know nothing about this album other than the fact that it's called The Astonishing and will be two discs.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #1036 on: November 17, 2015, 07:42:37 AM »
I'm almost ashamed to admit that I know nothing about this album other than the fact that it's called The Astonishing and will be two discs.
50% of what you know might even be false, as far as we know now... :biggrin:
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: November 17, 2015, 07:44:27 AM »
^ :lol 40 tracks on one disc. 2 minutes per track.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #1038 on: November 17, 2015, 07:47:01 AM »
^ :lol 40 tracks on one disc. 2 minutes per track.
What we know for sure:
 - >=23 tracks
 - >=1 disc
 - >=2 "acts"
 - >=1 NOMACS (99% sure it will be >1 and not 1, reading the emails)
 - >=3 "NOMACS" tracks
All the rest will be astonishing
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:56:10 AM by erciccio »
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1039 on: November 17, 2015, 07:56:27 AM »
The greater than or equal to sign does work I think.

What we know for sure:

≥23 tracks
≥1 disc
≥2 "acts"
≥1 NOMACS
≥3 "NOMACS" tracks
All the rest will be astonishing
To which I would add:
≥5 performers
≥1 producer
≥8 characters

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Whrobmp

« Reply #1040 on: November 17, 2015, 08:29:39 AM »
Now we know "Digital Discord" is not the end of the first act, since three more track titles were published, but we know for sure that there will be a "Moment of Betrayal". So, "A Tempting Offer" might definitely be related to this treason.

If I may expand on your theory:
The X Aspect - Chosen One sees new possibilities in joining the GNE & becomes corrupt with power, just as the previous ruler had.
A New Beginning - Ravenskill carries on with a new Chosen One, who ends up failing to live up to the efforts of the previous one, meanwhile GNE carries on a new beginning in tactics with their newfound ally.
The Road To Revolution - Ravenskill & GNE prepare to go to war with each other, Ravenskill frustrated with their former efforts failing.
2285 Entr'acte - Battle is played out in instrumentals (like By-Tor & The Snow Dog).
Moment Of Betrayal - Just as the Rebel Militia are about to lose, a member [probably the ruler] of the GNE attempts to murder the Chosen One in fear that he may have never been on their side in the first place &/or may change sides again. He is saved however by one of his former friends in Ravenskill.
Heaven's Cove - The Chosen One & his old friend exchange dialogue about the former events in a place they used to go as children (before either of these factions had formed). The Chosen One eventually makes some important decision about something that ends up happening later [though that we don't know yet].

I think everyone is trying to figure out the plot with only 3 of the 8 characters that appears on the DT page. I suppose and expect the story to be more complicated involving all the characters and not only Nafaryus, Arhys and the Chosen One.

PD: Hi from Spain! This is my first post :)

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #1041 on: November 17, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »
I think there may have guest artists representing the characters, as Ayreon

Perhaps, supporting characters?

Is insane to think about it?

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: November 17, 2015, 08:42:09 AM »
Haha, so much speculation here.

Welcome to DTF  :D
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1043 on: November 17, 2015, 09:03:41 AM »
Just because Act 1 has 20 tracks and Act 2's 'square' is the same size, doesn't necessarily mean there will actually be 20 tracks on Act 2. In fact, I think it's highly unlikely there will be that many. 12-13 maybe, with the album's climax and longest track (maybe 10-12 minutes) near or at the end.

Unless there is not a 10-min+ song here. That would be a first since WDADU.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:17:56 AM by RoeDent »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: November 17, 2015, 09:08:33 AM »

PD: Hi from Spain! This is my first post :)

Buenos tardes !! Bienvenido !!!! I am Kotowboy :emo:

That's BlobVanDam :blob: and this is Jay :JayOctavarium:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1045 on: November 17, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »
Hola, me llamo Señor Eskelto, y tu?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1046 on: November 17, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »
Bienvenido al sitio de especulación sobre Dream Theater por excelencia. 30 páginas de teorías, y aproximadamente 1 de información verídica. Disfruta tu estadía ;D

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1047 on: November 17, 2015, 09:47:58 AM »
 :lol Payasos...
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1048 on: November 17, 2015, 10:07:26 AM »
Je ai appelé

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1049 on: November 17, 2015, 10:09:10 AM »
NO
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies