Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200844 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #490 on: November 11, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
The album is probably out late January and Act II Probably also has 11 tracks since both boxes are spaced the same.

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #491 on: November 11, 2015, 01:29:48 PM »
it is a fucking clock or the discover clock.this is ur idea. we have very very ideas around the world that focused on the dt site. hey DT why u put the fucking clock back of char 8? huh? the FBI must take dt and punish DT. hey DT u need to prison for end of the world.cause you have 1 fucking clock. :lol

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #492 on: November 11, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »
It would be hilarious if they moved it back a couple of months, because most of this speculation is some obsessive, borderline DaVinci Code-esque bullshit.
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #493 on: November 11, 2015, 01:34:34 PM »
it is a fucking clock or the discover clock.this is ur idea. we have very very ideas around the world that focused on the dt site. hey DT why u put the fucking clock back of char 8? huh? the FBI must take dt and punish DT. hey DT u need to prison for end of the world.cause you have 1 fucking clock. :lol
I had a computer and access to the world wide web so what the fuck.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: November 11, 2015, 01:38:30 PM »
Petrucci : :) hey i like that clock pic - let's just put it behind the 8th character. It looks nice :)

A WEEK LATER

Petrucci : i'll just check DTF :) .... oh for fucks sake.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #495 on: November 11, 2015, 01:46:12 PM »
Petrucci : :) hey i like that clock pic - let's just put it behind the 8th character. It looks nice :)

A WEEK LATER

Petrucci : i'll just check DTF :) .... oh for fucks sake.
:rollin
From Rome, with love.

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #496 on: November 11, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »
1 years later the jp will be say.hey guys we have one professional fan on the world that do not need the pic of clock. cause he undrestood that charcter8 is himself. oh god. im chatting with the char8 in DTF. but in pic of char8 he havent the HAT.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: November 11, 2015, 01:58:47 PM »
:splodearms:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #498 on: November 11, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »
but in pic of char8 he havent the :hat.
FTFY
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #499 on: November 11, 2015, 02:09:43 PM »
Purest of golds
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #500 on: November 11, 2015, 02:31:33 PM »
Have you, by chance, ever been to Indonesia?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: November 11, 2015, 02:36:55 PM »

hey there's an idea - maybe DT could play there - they wait long time best band history mangni drum god best in history so energy powah

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #502 on: November 11, 2015, 02:52:37 PM »

:lol
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: November 11, 2015, 03:22:39 PM »
O.M.G GUISE. Don't you know Char8 is a kid waking up at 6 O'clock on Christmas Morning?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #504 on: November 11, 2015, 03:42:42 PM »
If the track "Lord Nafaryus" is not an elegant song OR a heavy imperial like march (yes, I'm looking at you, Star Wars), I will be severely disappointed.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #505 on: November 11, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »
I check this thread every 1 or 2 days just to see what's going on.

I always regret it.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: November 11, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »
If the track "Lord Nafaryus" is not an elegant song OR a heavy imperial like march (yes, I'm looking at you, Star Wars), I will be severely disappointed.

I see a little silhouetto of a man
Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Lord Nafaryus?
thunderbolt and lightning,
Very, very frightening me.
(Galileo) Galileo.
(Galileo) Galileo,
Galileo Figaro
Majesty.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #507 on: November 11, 2015, 03:58:08 PM »
...and Act II Probably also has 11 tracks since both boxes are spaced the same.
Well, the evidence suggests that it has AT MOST 11 tracks. It could definitely have fewer.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: November 11, 2015, 03:59:33 PM »
Well, the evidence suggests that it has AT MOST 11 tracks. It could definitely have fewer.

Evidence suggests it could have more, if they use a smaller font.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: November 11, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »

I always regret it.

A-fuckin-men brother  :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #510 on: November 11, 2015, 04:42:38 PM »

I see a little silhouetto of a man
Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Lord Nafaryus?
thunderbolt and lightning,
Very, very frightening me.
(Galileo) Galileo.
(Galileo) Galileo,
Galileo Figaro
Majesty.

Nah, thanks. Was thinking about something nicer and more badass. xD (No offense to Queen ofc).

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #511 on: November 11, 2015, 05:07:25 PM »

Nah, thanks. Was thinking about something nicer and more badass. xD (No offense to Queen ofc).

Down the castle stair
He disappears
He's the empire's heir
Nafaryus' here

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #512 on: November 11, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
hey there's an idea - maybe DT could play there - they wait long time best band history mangni drum god best in history so energy powah
It's actually DURM god
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #513 on: November 11, 2015, 05:16:41 PM »

Down the castle stair
He disappears
He's the empire's heir
Nafaryus' here

Who wouldn't be frightened for their lives in that scenario?
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #514 on: November 11, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »

Down the castle stair
He disappears
He's the empire's heir
Nafaryus' here

Hey, hey! MUCH better! :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #515 on: November 11, 2015, 08:24:12 PM »
...and Act II Probably also has 11 tracks since both boxes are spaced the same.

I have a feeling the second act might have fewer tracks, with a longer epic at the end. Perhaps not Octavarium length epic, but at least Finally Free type epic.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #516 on: November 11, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »

I always regret it.

I'm definitely in the same boat.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #517 on: November 11, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »
Bosk should update the thread title with the date of the last update every time it updates so you guys won't say things like that :P
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline jsbru

« Reply #518 on: November 11, 2015, 10:42:55 PM »
The more variety, the better! as said earlier I'm all for songs with weirdass structures where the music has to adapt itself to the story, rather than the usual Write a song / sneak in a jam as solo section / write lyrics 'cause James is in the band as well and he must have something to do approach they have for most of their songs.

I think I agree with this.  If they're really focusing on having the music tell a big story, it forces it to be more dynamic, and maybe a little less guitar-driven.  I like DT's general dynamics.  I felt like their best balance was on I&W and Awake.  Awake gets dubbed as a heavy, somber album, but the only really heavy songs are CIAW and The Mirror/Lie, the latter of which is really just one long song.  The second half of SFAM was great, too.  But even their heavier albums that came later still have more dynamics than a lot of metal bands--just not enough for my taste.

I like that they're exploring the major scale again.  I hope it gets worked in to this album again somewhere.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #519 on: November 11, 2015, 11:29:55 PM »
And, after all this hype, I forgot how much I really wanted the easter egg from DT12 to be turned into an entire song.

A few weeks ago, I read some interview (can't remember the specifics) about someone in DT listening to a Van Halen album that ended with a short melody/jam, and that they had really liked it, and hoped they would start the next album with that jam, but that it never happened.

If the easter egg were made into a song, which one would it be?

1. Descent of the NOMACS
2. Dystopian Overture

3. The Gift of Music
4. The Answer
5. A Better Life
6. Lord Nafaryus
7. A Savior in the Square
8. When Your Time Has Come

9. Act of Faythe
10. Three Days
11. The Hovering Sojourn

I'd say the first two are out, because that music doesn't fit descending NOMACS, and I expect this track to be a shorter soundcape/sound effects track before #2, which is likely to be a triumphant but dissonant instrumental.

I expect #6 to be more evil-sounding and/or heavy.  I also expect 7-8 to be more triumphant and/or uplifting, and the easter egg has a beautiful yet somber feel.

I think 3-4 are good candidates.  #5, A Better Life, could go either way, depending on the context.  If it's more quietly longing for a better life, than the easter egg might fit.  But if it's about people rising up and demanding a better life, the song may be more like Outcry, and be heavier and more in your face.

I could also see it being #10, as it could be a more silent waiting period.  #11 seems unlikely, but still possible.  Hovering Sojourn signifies a brief reprieve, but with more ominous overtones.  The easter egg is somber and reflective, but not ominous.

It's hard to tell what Act of Faythe will sound like without knowing more about the character, but it's possible the easter egg could fit here.

I think the highest probability is that the easter egg is the gift of music itself (if it shows up on the new album at all, of course).  The magic melody.  Wouldn't that be cool?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: November 11, 2015, 11:37:19 PM »
While it would make a cool nugget, I doubt they've incorporated it into the new album. If they did, The Gift of Music would be a nice place to put it, with DT12 including this easter egg of the forgotten melody that becomes a big deal in this dystopian future. It would be some nice foreshadowing, and remind me of the meta-album idea.

UNLESS THE FORGOTTEN MELODY IS METROPOLIS BECAUSE IT'S METROPOLIS PART 3.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #521 on: November 11, 2015, 11:49:17 PM »
While it would make a cool nugget, I doubt they've incorporated it into the new album. If they did, The Gift of Music would be a nice place to put it, with DT12 including this easter egg of the forgotten melody that becomes a big deal in this dystopian future. It would be some nice foreshadowing, and remind me of the meta-album idea.

I forgot about this aspect.  It would make sense that the "forgotten melody" has already been played in the past.

This is all assuming that this theme from 2112 is precisely imported into the new DT album.

Still, didn't DT make comments that they had this concept in their mind for a while, well before they started recording?  That would at least be consistent with putting the easter egg on DT12 with the intent of incorporating it in their next album.  Because let's face it, the easter egg doesn't make a ton of sense where it is.  DT's not a band to put hidden tracks on albums.  A hidden 3 minutes or so of a beautiful melody that's plenty good enough to be developed further is a weird thing for them to do.  And let's face it, DT is the kind of band that develops stuff to a practically absurd extent.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: November 11, 2015, 11:54:31 PM »
The easter egg isn't necessarily a randomly placed bit of music though. It fit in with the cinematic idea of DT12, with the false awakening suite intro opening the album, the the easter egg closing the album to wind down, which I recall was used live as the credits music. I think it was given enough context to not need further development. That's not evidence that they won't use it, but I don't think it needs it.

The scary thing is, the Metropolis joke makes much more sense.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #523 on: November 12, 2015, 12:05:47 AM »
The scary thing is, the Metropolis joke makes much more sense.

I really hope it's not the atonal/chromatic reverby synth fill.

Doo-doo-doo-deet  Doo-dunh-dunh-dunh.  :biggrin:

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: November 12, 2015, 12:09:52 AM »
It took me a sec to figure out what bit you meant, but well done. :lol

For some reason (again, completely baseless speculation here), I imagine the forbidden melody being a longer, more beautiful melody. Something like the flute melody at the start of Octavarium. A lot of the epic-ier songs have that distinctive lead melody that gets reprised a few times. That's how I imagine this will be.