Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200903 times)

Offline 425

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #420 on: November 10, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »
Ah, fuck sake.  I always miss the unauthorised info.  Is there an alternative DT forum that's slightly less anal?  I can understand not sharing leaked music, but random tidbits of information?

The fact that you can't talk about an unauthorized tidbit of information has you seeking out another forum? Really?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #421 on: November 10, 2015, 02:15:45 PM »
I hope we get track lengths in near future, means a lot more than the title

Not a lot more, but I agree that we need the lenghts...

That's what she......nevermind.  :biggrin:

*he

And, btw/to be clear, while he thinks the lengths give more info about the songs' nature, I don't.. Knowing the band, according the titles we can make predictions like the one MirrorMask did, with which I mostly agree, and thus having good chances to guess correctly than only according to the track lengths..

A 7 minute song doesn't say anything about its style or type of song (at least not a DT song), whereas that a name like "Dystopian Overture" it's clearly implying something.. That is an overture, and also sounds like an instrumental.. I'd say that even the place a track is in (when we know its title, obviously) give us more clues about the style than its length..

Well, I guess you can get a lot of information from very short and very long lengths. Like this song will be some kind of interlude/intro/outro and this song will be a long epic with multiple movements (probably), but I agree that there's not much to get from ordinary song lengths.

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #422 on: November 10, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »
hey guys. pls look to ch8. back of the picture we have one clock.that we only see  4 number. ( 0-1-1-2) i think the char 8 tell to us the release date of album.01/1/2016.  the number 12 hidden by the head of character.this was my idea. pls txt ur idea about the char8 pls. in 8th cha dt hide the secret about the album and story.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: November 10, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »
I don't think the album will drop on January 1st.

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #424 on: November 10, 2015, 02:25:47 PM »
if we cut the char8 head. we have 7 number.(0-11-12-1-2) whats thats mean? why the char 8 satying front the clock.whats the clock meaning in the picture?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: November 10, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »
Probably a clock :neverusethis:

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #426 on: November 10, 2015, 02:34:44 PM »
0111212. is it the morse code?huh? myabe this code on the morse tell the name of char? i cant play with morse code.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #427 on: November 10, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »
:1967:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #428 on: November 10, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »
I don't think the album will drop on January 1st.

I agree. Absolutely no chance it will happen as "I slutet av januari släpper det amerikanska progmetalbandet Dream Theater sin nya skiva" from the Swedish Cirkus website about the performance (one with the leaking of the title and other credible info) specifies a late January release. As for the clock thing... well, your clock would be a bit odd if instead of 10 it said 22 (not if it was a 24 hour one obviously). Those numbers...

TELL THE TIME.  :omg:

0111212. is it the morse code?huh? myabe this code on the morse tell the name of char? i cant play with morse code.

what

:facepalm: :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: November 10, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »
Can I Play With Madness Morse Code ? :chino:

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #430 on: November 10, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »
Can I Play With Madness Morse Code ? :chino:

He said you're blind! Too blind to see (the nuggetz)!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #431 on: November 10, 2015, 03:10:53 PM »
Heard "Sojourn" mentioned in a TV show, immediately thought of DT  :biggrin:

I'm having trouble understanding how, in the future, the English language will regress back to medieval-speak

Counter-revolution after all the internet abbreviations were killing grammar worldwide.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #432 on: November 10, 2015, 03:11:21 PM »
0 1 1 1 2 1 2 morse code is:( drumms line rythm or guitar rythm or another secret or nothing).
whats that mean: 0: -----  1: .---- 1: .---- 1: .---- 2: ..--- 1: .---- 2: ..---   stop.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: November 10, 2015, 03:15:31 PM »

Counter-revolution after all the internet abbreviations were killing grammar worldwide.

Ye I am down with that. Verily. My Liege.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »
if we cut the char8 head. we have 7 number.(0-11-12-1-2) whats thats mean? why the char 8 satying front the clock.whats the clock meaning in the picture?

He's obviously going to Take the Time

:facepalm:

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2015, 03:31:18 PM »
I'm having trouble understanding how, in the future, the English language will regress back to medieval-speak where heroes are honored in the town square and leaders are 'Lords', yet bed and breakfasts float in midair/or somebody's undecided on whether or not to stay in Rome... this is confusing

If the album is played with lutes and fifes, I won't be surprised.

I think we have to suspend disbelief given that that would probably be part of the grand atmosphere that DT want to create along with the fact that this is a dystopian sci-fi album with giant floating balls called NOMACS roaming around with the Majesty logo as their skeleton. It's fair to say that they are not going for realism.

I don't really mind this regression in language because it's not really supposed to be grounded in real life just like Rush's 2112 and Cygnus stories. They are escapist fantasies which, while they had their fair share of cheese, were very emotional and compelling. This is why I have confidence in the new album, as they already pulled off SFaM 16 years ago and did it with a similarly weighty and strange concept (if not more so considering that SFaM has elements of the supernatural and spiritual while TA seemingly does not). If they could do it then, they can do it now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2015, 03:39:57 PM »
It's set a long, long time ago in an Octavarium far,far, away !!!

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2015, 03:46:40 PM »
Forget The Astonishing--the album I really want to hear is the inevitable prequel, where we find out how in hell the people let somebody named NAFARYUS come to power.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: November 10, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »
2016 - Lord Nafaryus

2012 - Emperor Suxxobad

2008 - General MayaSvelbeSatan

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #440 on: November 10, 2015, 04:00:13 PM »
I wonder--is his birth name Nafaryus? Heck of a stigma to attach your kid to, if so. But if he adopted the name later, the connotations would be at odds with the benevolent exterior he seems to effect.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: November 10, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »
It's called Nominative determinism. :coolio

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #442 on: November 10, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »
I'm having trouble understanding how, in the future, the English language will regress back to medieval-speak where heroes are honored in the town square and leaders are 'Lords', yet bed and breakfasts float in midair/or somebody's undecided on whether or not to stay in Rome... this is confusing

I think we have to suspend disbelief given that that would probably be part of the grand atmosphere that DT want to create along with the fact that this is a dystopian sci-fi album with giant floating balls called NOMACS roaming around with the Majesty logo as their skeleton. It's fair to say that they are not going for realism.

I don't really mind this regression in language because it's not really supposed to be grounded in real life just like Rush's 2112 and Cygnus stories. They are escapist fantasies which, while they had their fair share of cheese, were very emotional and compelling. This is why I have confidence in the new album, as they already pulled off SFaM 16 years ago and did it with a similarly weighty and strange concept (if not more so considering that SFaM has elements of the supernatural and spiritual while TA seemingly does not). If they could do it then, they can do it now.
This sort of thing is not uncommon in dystopian stories.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: November 10, 2015, 04:09:05 PM »
I've noticed in metal especially - using thee and thou etc instead of "you". I guess they think it sounds more poetic or weighty I guess ?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #444 on: November 10, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »
I've noticed in metal especially - using thee and thou etc instead of "you". I guess they think it sounds more poetic or weighty I guess ?

I think it's ok-ish when you're writing/singing about olden times where thou was actually used (even though very different from its modern use). But this album plays in the future; would have been cool if they had created an " evolved English " style, kinda like NewSpeak.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: November 10, 2015, 08:45:45 PM »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
« Reply #446 on: November 10, 2015, 11:11:51 PM »
hey guys. pls look to ch8. back of the picture we have one clock.that we only see  4 number. ( 0-1-1-2) i think the char 8 tell to us the release date of album.01/1/2016.  the number 12 hidden by the head of character.this was my idea. pls txt ur idea about the char8 pls. in 8th cha dt hide the secret about the album and story.
I don't think there is any connection besides being a coincidence. The image of the clock was simply reused from a previous work done by the artist, as seen on Jie Ma's website under the category of images labeled "Old Work."
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: November 10, 2015, 11:13:30 PM »
Well, whatever the album turns out to be, tickets to see the tour are selling extremely well [received via email at approx. NOON EST]

https://view.e.atlanticrecords.com/?j=fe8116787d610d7a72&m=fe9d12707467067e76&ls=fe2c12787d660679761571&l=fef11678726203&s=fe2715737563027a751379&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe5a1776716307757116&eml=2015November10/2885977/6013233&etsubid=130767079&r=0

The venues are much smaller this tour so sold out concerts mean less tickets... on the other hand the prices are much higher so the revenue should be about the same

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #448 on: November 11, 2015, 12:22:34 AM »
No, No,
Nafaryus!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #449 on: November 11, 2015, 12:44:21 AM »
Forget The Astonishing--the album I really want to hear is the inevitable prequel, where we find out how in hell the people let somebody named NAFARYUS come to power.

The prequel came out in 1989 when the Killing Hand caused this mourning.  Evil genius this secret plan, mercy dealt with the losing hand.  Will he ever fall?  --  One more name appears on the wall:  Lord Nefaryus.  I am the Killing Hand and so forth.

Or at least that's what popped in my head when I saw the (leaked?) picture of the close-up of a military gloved hand and cane. Hahaha!!! 

Calvin6s

« Reply #450 on: November 11, 2015, 12:46:03 AM »

The prequel came out in 1989 when the Killing Hand caused this mourning.  Evil genius this secret plan, mercy dealt with the losing hand.  Will he ever fall?  --  One more name appears on the wall:  Lord Nefaryus.  I am the Killing Hand and so forth.

Or at least that's what popped in my head when I saw the (leaked?) picture of the close-up of a military gloved hand and cane. Hahaha!!!

Nice work.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #451 on: November 11, 2015, 02:38:05 AM »
Do you think they're going to go so far as to wear costumes on stage?

I mean....

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: November 11, 2015, 02:40:59 AM »
I don't know, it's hard to top Peter Gabriel dressed as a flower.

...A flower?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #453 on: November 11, 2015, 02:46:31 AM »

This sort of thing is not uncommon in dystopian stories.

Exactly. DT are going for a Dystopian feel from everything surrounding the story and even down to the title of the second track. 2112 was also a sci-fi dystopian story. The whole conformist thing is pushed with things like "THE EMPIRE IS OBEDIENT TO YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE OBEDIENT TO THE EMPIRE.". Kind of like Orwell's 1984 or something like that.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #454 on: November 11, 2015, 03:24:30 AM »
I'm just singing "This is the Dawning of the Age of Nefaryus..."
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."