Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1196482 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #210 on: November 09, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2015, 09:17:04 AM »
I've thought the title sounded cool from Day 1.

Same here. It sounds like the title for a movie...

Maybe they'll actually release ''The Astonishing: The Movie'' and the album is the soundtrack for the movie. They seemed to have went relatively deep with the story and the building of this world. And the artist they went with (Anybody remember his name? I forgot) is like a concept artist for movies or something like that. It seems a bit too much for simply an album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »
Ma Jie.

M.J.

Michael Jackson.

CONSEPT ALBUHM CONFERMED

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2015, 09:22:53 AM »
Jie Ma

J M

John Myung

Jie Ma is actually John Myung :omg:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2015, 09:23:58 AM »
 :omg:

Myung wrote all the lyrics for this album !!!!

That's INCREDIBLE ASTONISHING !!!  :omg: :ninja:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2015, 09:33:40 AM »
:JM:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2015, 10:11:40 AM »
No matter what is said, The Astonishing will always be a better title than A Dramatic Turn of Events
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2015, 10:13:32 AM »
No matter what is said, The Astonishing will always be a better title than A Dramatic Turn of Events

I quite like that title, actually lol.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »
People are seriously bothered by the title?

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's fine.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2015, 10:31:01 AM »
I think The Astonishing is their best title since Systematic Chaos.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
Black Clouds and Silver Linings has to be their worst album title imo. Followed closely by ADToE.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #221 on: November 09, 2015, 10:35:09 AM »
One page later we'll be ranking all Dream Theater's 13 album titles (+ maybe a bonus round for live releases), classic.

Oh and least favorite title, probably Train of Thought or Dream Theater.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2015, 10:37:04 AM »
I agree. Black Clouds and Silver Linings and A Dramatic Turn of Events are too long and too descriptive.  A title should be more subtle but still communicate the main idea of the concept. 

I like "The Astonishing" However, it is not obvious how it fits into the story.  What is going to astonish everyone so much?

Calvin6s

« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2015, 10:39:57 AM »
I really don't care about the title of this or just about any album other than:

Picturing myself liking an album and trying to recommend it to a friend.  If the album title has to come with a "just listen and don't worry about the title", then the title is probably not that great.  The Astonishing is bordering on that.

Something tells me this will not be the album to convert non-DT fans into DT fans.  But that could just mean this album is made specifically for the DT fans (our the perception of DT fans).

They should release an audio snippet quickly as that is the only relevant measure on whether or not I may or may not like the upcoming album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: November 09, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »
Black Clouds and Silver Linings has to be their worst album title imo. Followed closely by ADToE.

And When Dream and Day Unite.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2015, 10:50:55 AM »
ADTOE could be called "Bridges In The Sky". Sounds better to me.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2015, 11:00:05 AM »
The album title isn't the best they've come up with in their career, but their music is always evolving, the creative process always moving in different directions. No 2 DT albums have sounded the same. With that in mind, I'm very intrigued about what this album will be about and how the story will influence the music and vice versa.

I find the artwork to DT albums has always driven my speculation and anticipation more than the title.

My biggest hope, knowing this is a concept all the way through ala SFAM is that the lyrics are better than the last full concept "rock opera".
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:30 AM »
It could have been called "A Dramatic Turn of Events: It's Not About Portnoy, We Swear". Would've cleared up a lot of discussion from that time.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2015, 11:23:22 AM »
This night I dreamed that Petrucci told me JM wrote lyrics for two songs of the album (don't recall other information). Hopefully it's true, because he normally writes lyrics for excellent songs.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »
Anyone else not consider Myung's lyrics all that great ?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #230 on: November 09, 2015, 11:31:57 AM »
okay a point was missed somewhere. I'd rather have 60 minutes of tightly-written music than 120 minutes of them throwing every single thing they wrote into a huge pile.

then again, DT12 was an underwritten mess and it was shorter
now imagine a DT12 twice as long with the same consistent quality
i probably wouldn't have bought a double-length DT12
That's it though, how do you know a double-length DT12 would have had the same consistent quality? Obviously talking about songwriting. Why assume that the quality would be consistent with completely new songs that you haven't heard before? If you don't like it now, if it were double length there's just as much chance that you'll find songs you might like more, as much as there's a chance you also won't like them right? I'm just not sure why you'd assume one way over the other.
Exactly. How do you know all the stuff that got trimmed from the self-titled album wasn't the stuff that would've clicked with you and made it one of your favorite DT albums? We'll never know, but given the chance to have more or less material, gimme more to pick from!

It reminds me of Octavarium. Weird sounding word with some random unrelated origin beforehand, but now it's just second nature to us DT fans. I don't see the point about complaining about a name which we have no context for yet.
Well said and great comparison. Until we know what the story is about or what The Astonishing is or describes, I fail to understand why people are getting bent out of shape (aside from this being DTF).

One other thing that I was thinking that I don't believe was brought up (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) is could it be that The Astonishing describes or is the name given to a group of people, objects or a specific object?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #231 on: November 09, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »
Anyone else not consider Myung's lyrics all that great ?
Well for me, I'm not a big fan of his lyrics. My opinion, so no flames please. I mean, with the exception of Fatal Tragedy, the lyrics are too.....deep I guess. I like more of Portnoy and Petrucci's lyrics. Lifting and tears are too deep for me. I dot really like the wording also. Learning to live is alright I guess, but it never stuck too me. My favorite songs aren't any written by Myung except Tragedy. I just enjoy more straightforward songs.
Glad to be back.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: November 09, 2015, 11:43:09 AM »
I do enjoy the more "deep" lyrics, and Learning to Live and Trial of Tears are both really good lyrically. The rest is either okay or not my thing at all. So I'd say his lyrical history is mixed like anyone else in the band.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #233 on: November 09, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »
BAI has my favorite lyrics of all DT songs probably, and I'm usually not even that big on lyrics, that said, I tend to like songs that have lyrics written by Myung, but not because of the lyrics, maybe Petrucci is just a master at converting JMX's lyrics into great songs.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #234 on: November 09, 2015, 11:47:41 AM »

I mean I don't exactly have a problem with it, but I have to agree with the people who say it sounds unfinished. Like, The Astonishing _________ what?

IMO SC and 6DOIT are the best titles. WDADU is the worst
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: November 09, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »

I mean I don't exactly have a problem with it, but I have to agree with the people who say it sounds unfinished. Like, The Astonishing _________ what?

Have you not read the thread ?

Offline V_R11

« Reply #236 on: November 09, 2015, 11:51:53 AM »

I have, and I get the point, but it just doesn't make the title sound less unfinished to me
Seasons change and so can I

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #237 on: November 09, 2015, 12:13:48 PM »

I have, and I get the point, but it just doesn't make the title sound less unfinished to me

“Deep in the fundamental heart of mind and Universe there is a reason.” - Douglas Adams
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #238 on: November 09, 2015, 12:24:22 PM »
Oh yea - there are some new song titles up now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #239 on: November 09, 2015, 12:25:17 PM »

I thought the same exact thing. I'm sure all will be revealed and better understood in time.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2015, 12:25:40 PM »
I'm not bothered by the title, once we'll hear the album we'll know what it relates to. The Silence of the Lambs is a weird title for a movie about a cannibal, but once you watch it you realize what a great title is.

Lyrics predictions: Will it all be JP's baby or, like SFAM after all, James and John will write part of the lyrics as well? I can see James going for a more emotional and less story-driven lyrics, like JP telling him "Hey, this song is about Character X suffering because of this, have a go at it" and James writing a lyric about that character's point of view.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #241 on: November 09, 2015, 12:27:15 PM »
Oh yea - there are some new song titles up now.

ACT I
1. Descent of the NOMACS
2. Dystopian Overture
3. The Gift of Music
4. The Answer
5. A Better Life
6. Lord Nafaryus
7. A Savior in the Square
8. When Your Time Has Come
9. Act of Faythe
10. Three Days
11. The Hovering Sojourn

AWWWW YEAH, Nafaryus gets his own track!!!
Abbreviations: LN, ASITS, WYTHC, AOF, TD, THS.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2015, 12:31:19 PM »
holy fuck we might have 2 80 minute discs
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2015, 12:32:58 PM »
"Lord Nafaryus" is pretty goofy, and "Act of Faythe" is a pun, but otherwise they're decent titles.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: November 09, 2015, 12:33:26 PM »
 :panicattack:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.