Author Topic: The Official TILES thread v. 25th Anniversary Show TBR / Lead Singer Retired!  (Read 4685 times)

Offline The Letter M

Never seen a thread dedicated to TILES before, but since their first album since 2008's Fly Paper is coming out next March, and a press release was sent out today, I figured I'd start a thread here.

https://www.earsplitcompound.com/site/2015/11/05/tiles-lasers-edge-signs-detroit-progressive-hard-rock-outfit-for-march-2016-release-of-pretending-to-run-album/

Not to be out-shadowed by DT's upcoming double album, the news about Tiles' next album being a 90+ minute double album has been known for quite awhile. Lots of guests on this one, as well as the fact that it'll be a concept album. Having waited almost 8 years for this, I am SUPER excited for a new album. These guys deserve more attention, to be honest, even if they are a Rush sound-a-like in many ways, but their work has a lot of diversity as well.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 04:03:03 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Official TILES thread v. Pretending To Run (due March 4th, 2016!!!)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 03:03:26 PM »
I bought Fly Paper when it came out after reading a review on it. It's a nice enough CD. It's probably been 5 years since I pulled it out.
Is that right that they have not released anything since then?? Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 04:58:22 AM »
It was just the other day when I added their discography to my Spotify playlist. I've always liked them and have been listening since the beginning.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:17:55 PM by Prog Snob »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 10:03:40 AM »
I like their 1st 3 records a fair amount, although that was when most new prog and Rush-sounding bands I was totally into.

I will check this album out certainly, but I'm not sure how much I expect from it.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »
Never seen a thread dedicated to TILES before, but since their first album since 2008's Fly Paper is coming out next March, and a press release was sent out today, I figured I'd start a thread here.

https://www.earsplitcompound.com/site/2015/11/05/tiles-lasers-edge-signs-detroit-progressive-hard-rock-outfit-for-march-2016-release-of-pretending-to-run-album/

Not to be out-shadowed by DT's upcoming double album, the news about Tiles' next album being a 90+ minute double album has been known for quite awhile. Lots of guests on this one, as well as the fact that it'll be a concept album. Having waited almost 8 years for this, I am SUPER excited for a new album. These guys deserve more attention, to be honest, even if they are a Rush sound-a-like in many ways, but their work has a lot of diversity as well.

-Marc.

Cool, I really love this band and I think it's a shame that they have only a small fan base.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 12:05:37 PM »
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and while they released 2 live-in-the-studio "live" albums, I've been craving new studio work from them for years.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 12:29:53 PM »
Wow, there's a name I haven't heard for a while.

Will dust off Presents of Mind today and enjoy some Tiles.  :tup
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 04:27:26 PM »
Glad to know I'm not the only fan here.

Offline The Letter M

Re: The Official TILES thread v. Pretending To Run (due April 15th, 2016!!!)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 12:22:06 AM »
https://prog.teamrock.com/news/2016-02-02/tiles-to-issue-pretending-to-run-in-spring

The band's new 2CD concept album is now due out in the middle of April, and will feature a stunning line-up of guests, including:
Mike & Max Portnoy
Ian Anderson.
Adam Holzman
Colin Edwin
Miles Davis' jazz guitarist Mike Stern
Max Webster's lead vocalist Kim Mitchell

They've also enlisted the help of a string quartet, as well as a 25-piece orchestra, and who knows who else!!!

The track list is as follows:
Disc One

Pretending to Run
Shelter in Place
Stonewall
Voir Dire
Drops of Rain
Taken by Surprise
Refugium
Small Fire Burning

Disc Two

Midwinter
Weightless
Friend or Foe
Battle Weary
Meditatio
Other Arrangements
The Disappearing Floor
Fait Accompli
Pretending to Run
Uneasy Truce
Pretending to Run
The View from Here
Backsliding

21 tracks, over 96 minutes of music! It's been nearly 8 years since their last album, so this is very exciting for me! I hope it's familiar yet fresh, and carries on their classic Rush-like sound. Between new Dream Theater, new Neal Morse Band, new Marillion, and the return of Frost* this year, there's some EPIC prog coming out, and I'm glad Tiles is joining in on that!

-Marc.

Offline devieira73

Offline The Letter M

https://www.revolvermag.com/news/tiles-premiere-new-album-pretending-2-run.html
A very impressive album!

Nice! :tup I just got email confirmation from Laser's Edge that my order shipped, so I am excited to get this album in hand soon! The street date is this Friday though I hope it comes in the mail before next week so I can spend my few days off next week to spin it a ton!

And I see that they're going to be on the road with District 97 next month, and in Baltimore (which is only 2-ish hours away from me). Oh man, it's tempting to shell out to go see them, but that's money I might not be able to spare...dang. Well, I've got a month to think about it.

-Marc.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I reviewed this album for Nick's site here: https://wpapu.com/review-tiles-pretending-2-run/

It's an honest review, and the grade might be a little generous due to my love of the band.

Offline devieira73

I reviewed this album for Nick's site here: https://wpapu.com/review-tiles-pretending-2-run/

It's an honest review, and the grade might be a little generous due to my love of the band.
I read your review before I hear the album and I'm pleasent surprised that I liked the album much more than you! So now I'm curious about others opinions...

Offline devieira73

Complementing my previous post,  with the exceptions of: refugium, small fire burning, mediatio, other arrangements, fait accompli, the view from here and backsliding, I think the rest of the album (representing 1h 16 min 28 sec of it) is at the same level of Tiles best songs and the highlights are: shelter in place, voir dire, taken by surprise, weightless, the disappearing floor and pretending to run - reprise 1/uneasy truce/pretending to run - reprise 2.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
$27 for the MP3 album on Amazon?

Welp, that's at least one sale you guys are losing.  I ain't paying $27 for MP3s and I don't buy CDs any more. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
I'm listening on Spotify right now, but I'll buy the CD, of course.

Offline devieira73

$27 for the MP3 album on Amazon?

Welp, that's at least one sale you guys are losing.  I ain't paying $27 for MP3s and I don't buy CDs any more.

Maybe you should try google play. I can only see the price in brazilian currency, but converting it, apparentely, it costs around US$ 16.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Last I saw you could buy the CDs for $15 or 16 on Amazon. Why would you bother with the MP3s when you can have the discs for less?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Agreed, Nickeh.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Most places just price the MP3 as the sum of the individual song prices.

Offline The Letter M

I haven't made my way through the whole album yet as I have been SUPER busy with work this past week (and through tomorrow), but when I have time off on Monday and Tuesday next week, I will surely spin this with great interest. What I *have* Heard so far though is amazing. There's just so much on this album so far, a lot of new sounds from Tiles, as well as a bit of good ole familiar ground. It's very fresh and definitely better than Fly Paper (which felt sort of "Safe" to me in terms of a Tiles album, especially when Window Dressing was so different from their previous albums).

And as much as I love most of Syme's artwork, it's kind of disappointing to see many of the same stock images being used in his work over and over and over... hot air balloons from Flying Colors' Second Nature, the old timey bicyclist, and just many other re-used pictures, but I guess if that's what bands are willing to accept when they pay him, more power to him. At least it doesn't negatively affect my enjoyments of the music itself.

-Marc.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
Last I saw you could buy the CDs for $15 or 16 on Amazon. Why would you bother with the MP3s when you can have the discs for less?

Because I don't buy CDs anymore.  I thought I wrote that already.  If a band or label feels obnoxious enough to charge such a ridiculous amount of money for a more convenient form factor then I feel perfectly justified in registering my opinion by way of ignoring their release.  They're basically flipping a finger at those of us who prefer the digital format.  Well, I'm returning the favor.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
You would probably know more than me, but that might be Amazon's call too.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
It most certainly is Amazon's call, too.

I don't know where this $27 MP3 album is, by the way. Unless there are multiple versions of the release, the only one I saw on Amazon is $13 for the MP3. Though I can't see why one would want to stripped down compressed version when you can get better quality for just a few dollars more.

Offline Tiles (Chris)

The crazy $27 price was a mistake somewhere in the distribution chain.  It was that much at iTunes too.  As soon as we discovered the problem we notified the label & distributor and they fixed the price.  I wouldn't pay that much for it either!  Of course all this took time, but hopefully it's all cleared up now.  What a hassle though...

Anyway, the "Pretending 2 Run" download is only $15 at the label's Bandcamp site and a little more for the 24-bit version. 

Thanks..., Chris.

lasersedge.bandcamp.com/album/pretending-2-run

www.tiles-music.com

Offline The Letter M

The crazy $27 price was a mistake somewhere in the distribution chain.  It was that much at iTunes too.  As soon as we discovered the problem we notified the label & distributor and they fixed the price.  I wouldn't pay that much for it either!  Of course all this took time, but hopefully it's all cleared up now.  What a hassle though...

Anyway, the "Pretending 2 Run" download is only $15 at the label's Bandcamp site and a little more for the 24-bit version. 

Thanks..., Chris.

www.tiles-music.com

Whoa, Chris form Tiles just dropped by! Welcome and thanks for the info! Glad to hear it was an innocent mistake and that things have been cleared up now. I hope this encourages people to seek out and buy the album at the correct and much lower price!  :lol

-Marc.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni

Thanks..., Chris.

www.tiles-music.com

Excellent, this is what I wanted.  I just bought it from Amazon.com digital for $13.49 or something.  Looking forward to listening to it later.

I'm glad it got sorted out.

By the way, that's not "an Amazon.com thing" - it's a distribution thing like Chris wrote above.  Amazon.com takes their slice of the pie, sure, but they do not set pricing for digital music.  The labels and/or distributors set the prices. 

Offline The Letter M

A recent post in the Big Big Train Facebook group recently reminded me that TILES had a gig last year to celebrate their 25th anniversary, but the 2-hour show (which is set to be released, hopefully this year) was the last one for long-time lead singer Paul Rarick. The band seems like they will continue on, but I haven't heard any other news on their next frontman. I wouldn't mind seeing them bring on Matthew Parmenter from Discipline, but his voice is just a bit different than Paul's, so I'm not sure if he would be a perfect fit.

Either way, here's what was posted on the band's website last December, just before Christmas:
Season's Greetings and best wishes for a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2019!

We've been a bit neglectful of our poor website, but suffice to say we've been hard at work on various things:

Prepping to mix the massive 25th Anniversary Live Show

Completing and mixing an early (and dramatically different) version of Static

Completing and mixing the pre-Tiles Tightrope, a song we never previously "got around to"

We're keeping as many of the original tracks as possible and adding Paul's vocals, a guitar or keyboard part here and there, etc. Static was slated for our first album so it features special guest Kevin Chown on bass; otherwise, it's all Mark, Chris, Jeff, and Paul. Our goal is to clean up some unfinished business and commemorate Paul-era Tiles with the 25th Anniversary live album (and video bonus material) – release dates TBD.

In other news, Chris is working on the proverbial "solo-album" of tunes written over the past few years which never seemed quite right for Tiles. Special guests will abound...

See you in 2019!

Cheers..., Paul, Mark, Jeff, and Chris

Seems like the anniversary show will get a live release at some point, as well as some other rare songs. It's been three years since Pretending 2 Run, so I'm excited for a new release from this often-forgotten American prog band!

-Marc.