Author Topic: Train of Naught Debut Roulette - And the winner is...  (Read 55506 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Train of Naught Debut Roulette (Respect My Authority) - ROUND 1 RESULTS
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
I’m in dire straits here, because the singer sounds pretty torn between happy and sad

I feel like this could, potentially, be mine, but I'm not sure. If so, I'd say that while I agree, the overall subject matter that he's singing about is not so torn.  :heart

Don't worry, I'm sure it's mine for an obvious reason. :lol

And happiness with sadness is the best recipe for a happy song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
Hoping mine ain't 2° nor 4°  :lol

It actually looks like it's one of the least favorites of the record among fans, yet it's top 3 material for me wtf.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2015, 02:26:04 PM »
Mine could be the one with the heavy breakdown

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2015, 02:29:41 PM »
the only ones i think could be mine at all are 2, 4, maybe 5, and 12, because those are all such generic comments to begin with, haha

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2015, 02:59:40 PM »
Aside from having a few generic comments, a few might've been taken out of context a bit, so I wouldn't take these too seriously.  :laugh:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2015, 01:12:53 AM »
ROUND 3 – Wherever I May Roam
Cleared some things up between the last two rounds, so it was already revealed that this round would be open, that’s pretty much it, send me whatever, either bounce off some info from round 1, wait for round 2 results, or come up with something completely different. (Round 2 results up tomorrow)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:16:56 PM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Train of Naught Debut Roulette (Respect My Authority) - ROUND 2 LISTENING
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2015, 04:03:28 AM »
Round 3 sent. I could only find a single video of rather poor quality on Youtube for this song, so I sent a file instead. Hope that's fine.

Also for future reference: Is there a song length limit, and if so what is it?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2015, 04:41:40 AM »
I think the longest song I've received was Forced Entry by Leprous, and I didn't really have a problem with it, I'm thinking about a 12-13 minute absolute max, if you feel it's accessible enough for someone who's not familiar with said group.

Also looked up your song and I'm glad you mailed it because the only real video of it on youtube has like 5 minutes of silence after the song ends. I'll edit my OP to make clear I'm also fine with mp3 files and such.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2015, 07:27:20 AM »
Sent for round 3. I hope you won't reject it, because I'm going on a short trip until tuesday evening and will most likely not be able to resend until wednesday because of that.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Debut Roulette (Respect My Authority) - ROUND 2 RESULTS
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2015, 10:13:35 AM »
Round 2 Results!!

Bolsters
Big Big Train - Judas Unrepentant:

Hmm, 39 views, maybe the main video has quality issues or something? Whatever. I like that guitar for this specific round, but it doesn’t do much else for me than invoke joy, although the singer adapts very well and pretty much neglects the fact that I’m not really into the guitar. At the very least it’s safe to say this doesn’t have a very usual sound, which could be applauded, but you’re definitely not the only one in this round that has the original sound :P. The vocals are starting to get very powerful near the 5th minute mark, which is probably my favorite part of the song, it makes the rest of the song more enjoyable aswell, which pretty much makes me forget everything that happened before, because it does barely stand out. Again, just a song that doesn’t really do much for me, surely has it’s moments, but goes on a bit too long for this type of song. This one along with the Riverside one, although at the bottom, have grown on me pretty well, making this round more action packed overall. This doesn’t feel like a real outstanding worst song unlike the Tom Waits one, so this score seems about right.

7/10

Senecadawg2
Riverside – Discard Your Fear:

Very first impression: cool bassline, I dig it. I’m not sure how to describe the intro, but it’s not all that uplifting sounding to me, though it gets beter in time,and building some tension is always ecxciting, no matter what mood. If I didn’t know any better I’d say you’re trying to score some more luck with a voice similar to that of Anathema. I’m in dire straits here, because there is something about that atmosphere for sure that makes it very fitting to the theme, but the singer, even though singing positive lyrics of overcoming fear and shame (if I’m observing this correctly), sounds pretty torn between happy and sad, I got a confirmation that it’s indeed the lyrics that make it uplifting like I expected, but it still feels a bit dull to me. First round of listening left me with this one and about two others that I didn’t really care for compared to the rest. After a few more listens though I realized maybe I gave this song a bit of a hard time at the start, it’s still not really strong IMO, but it’s not terrible either. The chorus is okay, but apart from that, nothing spectacular.
Final thoughts, definitely an artist I don’t want to forget, strangely, out of the ‘mediocre’ scores, this is the first artist I’m still not all that turned off by, they sound like they could potentially have stuff I would like, it’s just not this.

7/10

Evermind
Mark Knopfler – Border Reiver:

Yeah, I decided to allow this one, I haven’t heard any Mark Knopfler solo stuff for atleast 5 years, and I can’t remember anything. You hate happy rounds because you usually don’t like the music yourself? Oh well, the only round I won in any of the rounds of Parama was when I sent a song I didn’t like myself either. What first drew my attention to Dire Straits however, was the guitars, but he appears to be more on the background with the guitar on his solo stuff (or during Border Reiver atleast). The intro is very good, builds up into this burst of happiness around 0:55. What places this song where it stands though, I’m a sucker for these small details they throw in, right here, it’s that sneaky violin and flute that keep returning. I never thought I’d be into that typical folk rock violin at the end, but it’s soothing in a way. Maybe not your most comfortable round, but this was an interesting song to say the least.

7,5/10

Mikemangioy
Papadosio – Puddles for Oceans :

I’m eager to find out how many rounds you’ll survive without sending an artist I know the name of, but it’s surely interesting to discover new names. I feel like this artist’s main goal with this particular song was to keep their listeners happy/joyful, which is great for an uplifting round. Literally every instrument here gives off a happy vibe, that’s not something I’d expect at all from the bass particularly. They keep one theme for this 6 minute song and never stray away from it, may sound pretty boring when phrased like that, but it’s a very cool structure. One thing that kinda annoys me near the ending is that they have such a great, groovy guitar solo, and it almost gets buried under the other instruments, wasted potential right there.

7,5/10

Parama
Sigur Rós - Starálfur:

30 seconds into the youtube comments and I’m already reading weird shit about some guy trying to convince me that this is not Icelandic (which it clearly is) but a made up language by Sigur Rós. One google further and it seems they use that made up language to act as an instrument to fill in non written lyrics in the studio beforehand (or something like that), that’s a pretty interesting method actually. This does work with the happy theme very well, and beautiful is a good way to describe the music overall, it’s just a big contrast between this and most of the songs on this round, which are mostly pretty fast-paced, I’m glad I did receive something along these lines though, it really made me appreciate the way simplistic sounding music can be hard to craft properly, you shouldn’t worry that this one’s not well-crafted or anything though, I just can’t really find something in this song to really “latch onto”, so I find myself listening to it while minding my own business until it’s over and the next song starts. Basically a relaxing background song.  I got my best friend, who happens to be Icelandic, to like this song :lol and he is the type of guy who listens to Drake and such, he probably doesn’t want to admit he dislikes an Icelandic song, has too much pride for it.

7,5/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0
Pineforest Crunch – Cup Noodle Song:

One thing’s for sure, you took the theme serious, according to your comments I’d think otherwise :P. I don’t exactly have catalogs full of songs with female singers in them, but I’m usually very open to them, and I think it’s going to work out for you here just fine, because she fits really well with this type of song. It has all the things that your average happy song requires, a simple yet uplifting rhythm, catchy chorus, no instrumentals that distract from the theme. It’s still not a definite standout or anything, but that’s not what the song is going for anyway, and simplicity also has its gems. Definitely try not to lose those good music taste for atleast another.. 8 rounds, way to perform this round Shadow :tup.

8/10

Splent
Mr. Mister - Kyrie:

Ah, some old-school pop/rock, two or three years ago I would’ve skipped this song and given you a 4 or something :lol, luckily I’ve been open to a lot of different genres and styles recently. And although these “foreign genres” aren’t anything like the stuff I listen to in my free time, it’s cool to explore them and listen to on various occasions. So the song, it’s short, it’s very happy, doesn’t do weird complex stuff to mess it up, catchy verse, which is usually not the part I enjoy most, and the ever returning chorus is great too. That bridge however, feels kinda useless to me, but it’s not too long so it doesn’t really make a difference. Solid song overall, I do however typically lean more towards the modern music, but there’s plenty of good old stuff out there that I still enjoy, but I would say this worked out in your favour because it’s just such a fun uplifting song. Both of the round 1 underdogs are shaping up this round :).

8/10

Sacul
Flying Colors – Shoulda Coulda Woulda:

Definitely heard of this band, but only because Portnoy social media feed, never listened to any of their songs. This main guitar riff is great for sure, why does it remind me of TROAE though? I’m undoubtedly a fan of the upbeat sound, which continues to be great for the entire song. Not sure if Flying Colors are going for a Matt Bellamy voice, but it definitely sounds like he influenced them somehow, very Muse-y voice. Moving on to the guitar solo, exactly what I expect from an upbeat rock song, it’s fast-paced, not too much wankery, nice melodies, kinda feels like something Slash would write but a little faster. Not a big fan of the “Wanna reach back” part, that kinda bores me, but luckily it doesn’t go on for too long. The singer doesn’t stand out too much compared to the instrumentals here, but he does a great job in the chorus, which is the only part where I really feel he ‘shines’. This is a good fit for the round but it’s still far from David Maxim Micic’s level.
Final thoughts: This is seemingly one of the most hated songs of the album, curious as to 1) what makes it so disliked 2) what else they have to offer on this album. This was probably one of the biggest growers of the round, at first I thought the singer was really grating, but I’ve come to appreciate it.

8/10

Tuomas Holopainen – A Lifetime of Adventure:

I definitely expected something Nightwish related sooner or later, but yeah since I know Evermind does the survivors I knew he would be a big fan too. I think you’re right about leaving Nightwish open, therefore it will just be Tuomas Holopainen that will be crossed off. I mean, this sounds nothing like the things I’ve heard from NW, besides, I just right now accepted Mark Knopfler, which is almost the same situation, reversed.
I like how this song has more of an atmospherically uplifting vibe than instrumentally. Judging from the video they also hired an orchestra of some sort, which is always a good way to create an atmosphere. It makes me feel so relaxed, I just can’t dislike it, not sure how you consider this to fall into the category of “songs only 425 seems to care for”, yours is most likely my favorite song of the round of all the atmospheric-ish songs (which aren’t too many, but just take the goddamn compliment). This wasn’t quite the song I expected a guitar solo to be included, but it works, it’s actually my favorite part of the song. I haven’t really mentioned the singer because it’s not really outstanding in any way, sure the melodies are catchy , but it’s not something I would return for.

8/10

Elite
Ben Folds Five – One Angry Dwarf And 200 Solemn Faces:

Wasn’t sure what to expect after seeing that song name, something quirky was the first thing to come to mind, and that’s pretty much what it is. The upbeat piano is really exciting, and it continues throughout the whole song, awesome! I’m glad someone sent me something like this, I now have a perfect example of odd lyrics that work very well for the style they’re going for, and the way they don’t take them too seriously. Also, I don’t think I have a single rock band in my catalog that incorporates such strong piano leads, but apparently I like it, a lot. Overall, one of those plain fun songs, that just gets you in that happy mood right away.

9/10

Tyrias
Caravan Palace - Suzy:

Electro-swing is apparently what this is called. Upbeat is always the way to go, gets you pumped up and happy, so that’s good. This reminds me of an electronic and faster alternative of that Star Wars piano bar song. I didn’t see the movies but that song is awesome and energetic. The difference is that this song has the upbeat kick, and a very interesting singer, reminding me of Caro Emerald, a dutch jazz/pop singer, only this one sings way faster. You’re also the second person to send a song with a scat singer included :lol. I don’t know what it is, but those scat singers never feel out of placed, despite both of them were really oddly placed. If it wasn’t for the originality, you would’ve scored high anyway because it’s so damn happy and energetic. I used some of Caravan Palace’s songs at a common room party last night and it was generally liked very well :tup.

9/10

LordCost
JOLLY – Despite the Shell:

I was very interested in this song, the background info made it a very cool concept. So what these guys did is they recorded an album involving binaural tones, which supposedly invoke happiness, now I couldn’t find this anywhere, but I’ll take your word for it, they partnered with a scientific university to research the subject matter. Obviously, if I’m going to take this background information into account for your scoring, it’s going to be subconsciously.
I’m pretty sure you’re going to redeem that lack of confidence in roulette’s here, this song kicks ass. Naturally, I thought the tones in the beginning were those binaural tones they were talking about, nothing spectacular IMO, but soon enough the song shapes up, the verse raises some suspense or something, and then that chorus comes in, it feels SO powerful, not to mention uplifting, some simple guitar riffing, but they’re strong as hell. Groovy bassline near the 2nd minute mark could’ve been mixed a little better in my opinion, but great nonetheless, and the guitar solo following after does not feel out of place at all, and short enough to keep the main vibe going. Finally, something I wouldn’t ever have dared to expect from the album called “Audio Guide to Happiness”,  I’m of course talking about that breakdown, it’s the heaviest thing I’ve gotten this whole round, and it’s strangely fitting, but not all too impressive. This is probably my favorite song of the round on first listen. Now almost ready to evaluate for this round and it’s grown on me even more, this is now my favorite song of both rounds!

9,5/10

Current Standings
Elite: 17,5
Sacul: 17
Tyrias: 17
LordCost: 17
Senecadawg2: 16,5
425: 16
Evermind: 16
Parama: 15
Mikemangioy: 15
Bolsters: 15
Splent: 14,5
Shadow Ninja: 13

Banned during roulette
JOLLY
Anathema
David Maxim Micic
Caravan Palace
Ben Folds Five
Leprous
IQ
Flying Colors
Azedia
Kamelot
Mr. Mister
Pineforest Crunch
Journey
Pain of Salvation
Sigur Rós
PFM
Creed
Tuomas Holopainen
Mark Knopfler
Papadosio
Riverside
Big Big Train
Scale the Summit
Tom Waits

So overall this round had a better average, I enjoyed it a lot, lots of upsides, no real downsides. I know I said it last round too, but don't feel rushed sending, this time around I won't be starting to listen until atleast wednesday.

Round 3 is Wherever I May Roam as mentioned, free round.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »
lol judas unrepentant in an uplifting songs round? hmm.
also i'll just keep rockin' 7.5's all roulette long i guess, that works
i should probably listen to that Jolly album considering the one song I did like a fair bit
and that Ben Folds song is great too, same rating I gave it  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
So the dire straits comment wasn't about Mark Knopfler song. Who knew? :lol

I'm not performing that well here, but I'm sending the absolute blast of a song next round. Hope you're prepared for heaviness, man.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »
Yeah it was fun to send you on the wrong path there :lol I just had to put a dire straits comment in there.
i should probably listen to that Jolly album
Yes, yes you should.

Offline 425

« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2015, 10:35:43 AM »
I just can’t dislike it, not sure how you consider this to fall into the category of “songs only 425 seems to care for”, yours is most likely my favorite song of the round of all the atmospheric-ish songs (which aren’t too many, but just take the goddamn compliment).

This is what I look for.

It falls into that category because nobody seemed to care about this album or anything, and this was the single from that album. But it was one of my favorites songs of 2014. But anyway I'm glad you liked it and I'll take the 8.

Shoulda Coulda Woulda is an interesting choice for Flying Colors. It's a decently fun song, but there are several on the album that I would sooner send for this round.

Sending soon.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »
That's quite an arguable choice for Riverside, Seneca  :lol

Flying Colors' debut is fantastic, all catchy and straightforward songs.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2015, 10:39:54 AM »
egoist hedonist was a riverside option on my possibilities list but i guess not anymore, yeah  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »
Or Driven to Destruction  :P

Will send soon.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »
yeah that was my #2 pick from adhd

but my album ranking here is basically "literally just reverse the track order and you get best to worst" where "worst" is like 9/10

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »
You know, I was going to send Jolly later on, definitely. That was not the song I'd have chosen, at all. If you liked it (which you apparently did, giving it a 9.5), you're in for a treat with the rest of the record.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2015, 11:31:17 AM »
yeah i'm going to try to avoid stepping on people's toes in roulettes 'cause that's no fun but i can't promise i won't send some artists people sent me at some point

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2015, 11:34:07 AM »
Or Driven to Destruction  :P
That one would've done better to say the least.

Going to check out The Audio Guide to Happiness for sure!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »
That's quite an arguable choice for Riverside, Seneca  :lol

You and ToN, and I will just have to agree to disagree.

Discard your fear of the unknown
be here and now
just find yourself in peace
try to free your mind
Wake up
Get unstuck
let it go
send your shame to nevermore
let it go
Scare away your fear

No more
Fear of new life
Fear of days of the unknown
Fear of new life
Fear of new life
fear of new life

no more fear of love
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2015, 11:47:29 AM »
I mean, it's a great song, yet I think ToN would have loved some of their heavier stuff  :P

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2015, 11:57:24 AM »
sent

Offline 425

« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »
yeah i'm going to try to avoid stepping on people's toes in roulettes 'cause that's no fun but i can't promise i won't send some artists people sent me at some point

Same, as we've already seen from me, obviously. I'm going to try to avoid it most of the time but when it seems right to send, I'm going to send it.

And I sent a couple of hours ago.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »
Sent, and I reckon this one will be my best song so far.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2015, 02:37:10 PM »
I mean, it's a great song, yet I think ToN would have loved some of their heavier stuff  :P

Oh I thought you meant arguable in regards to the theme. You're definitely right about them having better songs, I just thought I'd cockblock everyone else
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2015, 02:42:49 PM »
Fair enough :lol

I guess it's my turn to cockblocking now  :coolio

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2015, 11:52:21 PM »
Still in 2nd to last place, but the standings are at least a little tighter now.

Hope you like what I sent you. I did send you something, right?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2015, 02:45:24 AM »
Yes you did  :tup

Offline LordCost

« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2015, 04:56:24 AM »
https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/56105/Jolly-The-Audio-Guide-to-Happiness-Part-2/
Wow! The last time I won a round was two or three roulettes ago with Anathema, I didn't expect to win! In this link you find the review where I read of binaural tones. Yes, I wasn't too confident about how the song could fit the theme without telling this story, it gets also heavy near the end. Initially I wanted to risk with The Grand Utopia, that would have been surely a song invoking happiness

Offline LordCost

« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2015, 05:00:35 AM »
i should probably listen to that Jolly album considering the one song I did like a fair bit
The song that Elite sent to you is from the part 1 album, mine is in part 2!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2015, 05:41:56 AM »
Ye I just listened to both discs, those "Guidance" songs are a very cool way to connect the songs, and it's kinda the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the new Dream Theater tracklist, with so many tracks on it.

I'm not sure which disc I liked more, probably the 2nd, with Firewell being my favorite. That said, probably an album I'd want to buy.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2015, 05:53:03 AM »
You know, I was going to send Jolly later on, definitely. That was not the song I'd have chosen, at all. If you liked it (which you apparently did, giving it a 9.5), you're in for a treat with the rest of the record.
I searched on the net before the submission and some reviewers loved The Pattern from part 1 and another one Despite The Shell from the part 2. I was not really familiar with both of them (I knew really well almost all Part 2 apart the section from While We Slept.. and As Heard On Tape, I'm a bad listener of new album in the last years..) and from part 1 I knew only half of the songs.

I think Despite The Shell offers a lot of different things and therefore is a good choice for a roulette. It has become one of my album favourites in these last days along with Firewell and the closer

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: November 15, 2015, 09:33:55 AM »
The song that Elite sent to you is from the part 1 album, mine is in part 2!
me: a person who treats two separate discs of one album as the same album  :tup
juggernaut is one album, too.