Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (FINAL ROUND RESULTS.. DONE! (finally)  (Read 34178 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 5 RESULTS)
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2016, 10:29:55 AM »
At this point I'm just happy you liked the Pendulum song, even though it doesn't really give me much of an advantage. Maybe you're ready for the song on this album with the In Flames guest vocals, it's pretty badass.

The song is called Self vs. Self
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:26:18 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »
Very true on the Dada song.  It's almost like a stalker's love song to the person.  This band plays many styles.  That's from their album El Subliminoso which is a top 5 album for me of all time.  I think you may like the varying styles of that album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2016, 11:16:03 AM »
sent

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2016, 04:04:34 PM »
Dammit parama
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 4 RESULTS)
« Reply #285 on: January 07, 2016, 05:50:50 PM »
I just received my last entry last night so I was not able to do anything until then.
Was it Elite? :neverusethis:

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2016, 06:05:33 PM »
Surprisingly not this time :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »
In those cases, I'd start listening with, say, 80% or more of the songs. So whoever sends last will be affected more with its song having less spins  :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: January 07, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »
Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #289 on: January 07, 2016, 08:58:42 PM »
In those cases, I'd start listening with, say, 80% or more of the songs. So whoever sends last will be affected more with its song having less spins  :P
I like that idea. 'd give me an advantage.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #290 on: January 07, 2016, 09:01:36 PM »
OK i'll send Saturday tho I was gonna send you the same thing I just sent train so he can send it to you I really don't care about confidentiality anyways lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #291 on: January 07, 2016, 09:07:21 PM »
OK i'll send Saturday tho I was gonna send you the same thing I just sent train so he can send it to you I really don't care about confidentiality anyways lol
I'd feel weird sending 'someone else's' music in a roulette. Maybe if that person is not participatong in tje roulette and I really really like that song, but I'll probably stick to the music I either own or have discovered myself.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #292 on: January 07, 2016, 09:08:01 PM »
Eddie Vedder does a happy FlyingBIZKIT make

I've sent my next round.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: January 07, 2016, 09:09:36 PM »
I mean I give you permission to send my entry for me bcuz it'll be 2 more days before I can send and you have the song link and i'my on my phone  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #294 on: January 07, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »
Now it just seems like you actually want me to send your songs, not gonna happen. I'll stick to my own weird style that seems to work fine for now.

EDIT: I might've cockblocked ya, though I've never seen you send this artist. I know you like them so maybe you wanted to send them at some point.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:11:53 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: January 07, 2016, 09:13:08 PM »
that is not what I mean at all

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #296 on: January 07, 2016, 09:20:39 PM »
Maybe with this I should say that I've already sent BIZKIT his round 6 song yesterday, so this whole discussion was pointless. I may or may not have been too drunk to realize that.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: January 07, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »
I am trying to get you to send my entry in for me, not send in one of my songs as your entry :P

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #298 on: January 07, 2016, 09:37:26 PM »
Tangentially: I love those moments when two people are communicating and there's a moment in which they're clearly misunderstanding each other but only you (the generic you) know it. It's kind of a weird sensation when it happens to me--inflates my ego or something along those lines.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #299 on: January 08, 2016, 06:13:40 AM »
 :rollin

It's 2 o'clock in the afternoon and I still don't have a single idea of what Parama is blabbering about.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: January 08, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »
What is a Parama?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #301 on: January 09, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »
I sent in this roulette and all others  :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #302 on: January 09, 2016, 10:41:31 PM »
How can the song you sent in my roulette be sent in this roulette, that's not possible right?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #303 on: January 09, 2016, 10:54:28 PM »
it can be if you believe hard enough

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #304 on: January 09, 2016, 11:32:20 PM »
I sent this one, right? Yes I think so...
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #305 on: January 12, 2016, 09:21:31 AM »
Been listening to all the songs, liking what I'm hearing. Late afternoon classes this semester so most likely results tomorrow morning.

I'll send a PM but y'all can go ahead and send me songs for next round so the transition is quicker and smoother.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: January 13, 2016, 11:26:21 AM »
Round 6 Results:

Parama – “Dying in A-Minor” – The Angelic Process

Opposite of Comforting Sounds? Damn dude, you trying to depress me? :P This is dark, like darker than the darkest dark. Too dark for me, personally. I love dark stuff, but not like depressingly blackest black dark. Ya know? I feel like I can’t breathe when listening to this, it’s MAKING ME ANXIOUS. 2 drk.

5/10

Kingshmegland – “Fall” – Lo-Fi Resistance

This song, from the start, already has a very nice melancholic atmosphere to it. Looking into this band, I see Colin and Gavin from PT play in this album? That’s pretty great. It’s funny, because there’s this little bass hit Gavin does on a lot of PT songs and I heard it in this and it reminded me of him. Little did I know it actually was him! Hah. I don’t know the vocalist, of course I never know anything you send me, and that’s always great. He’s good and this song as a whole is really, melodically great. Chorus is awesome.

8.5/10

Elite – “I Am The Highway” – Audioslave

If I’m not mistaken, this is pretty much Rage Against the Machine, minus Zack as vocalist, plus Chris Cornell of Soundgarden? Rage Against the Soundgarden? I only know two of their songs.. “Be Yourself” and “Like a Stone”. I remember liking them, but I can honestly say I’ve never really been THE biggest fan of Cornell’s vocals. I do admire Soundgarden from what I heard, but I don’t listen to them often. I actually much prefer Zack de la Rocha (and Rage Against the Machine is one of my favorite bands), even if Chris is probably better at what he does. Anyway, this song is good. I’m a big Tom Morello fan anyway, even though he’s quite tame on this song. Which is completely cool, because it fits the tone of the song. Overall, it’s a good track, Cornell does a very good job, but he’s still not one of my favorites.

8.5/10

Train of Naught – “Skies” – Protest The Hero

I listened to this band like 2 years ago, and I wasn’t a big fan at the time. I kinda forgot about them honestly but I threw them in the mix of bands with the likes of Periphery and Tesseract (who knows if that even makes sense) that I just could not get into, as I either found them boring, or vocally uninteresting. This song, though, is good. Not sure if I’ve just acquired a taste, or simply found the right song, but I’m willing to give them another shot based on this. The album art is pretty badass too. This is definitely one of those bands I’d have to be in a certain mood to listen to, with all the fast paced, well, everything. I like the vocals a lot in this song, and this band can really shred. They have a high level of technicality, but they’re doing a good job of making it sound really good, and not artificial and boring as hell.

8.5/10

senecadawg2 – “A Song for Molly Michaelson” – Thrice

I have to say, you sure have a soft spot for the soft, mellow, emotional tracks. This is no exception. This is actually really good, and I’ve never really listened to Thrice, but my roommate kind of enjoys them, from what he’s heard. This is good. Don’t they have heavier stuff too? I’m just making sure it’s the right band I’m talking about. This is nice though, my favorite aspect of it is the vocals, he is really good, and this song has some quite gorgeous melodies.

9/10

splent – “Song For America” – Kansas

Ah.. Kansas. Of course, this is one of the classic progressive rock bands I’ve always wanted to explore, but I’ve been very lazy with music exploration, so that hasn’t happened. I know a couple of their songs, and their biggest hit, obviously, which I love, but I know there’s probably so much good stuff in their discography. All I can say is I’m not sure who Kansas’ biggest influences are, but I can definitely hear where Transatlantic got some of theirs from. I love the overture, and once it all kicks in, it really, really gets good. This song is so uplifting and just awesome. Definitely going to be checking out more of them. Got any other recs?

9.5/10

Sacul – “Teardrop” – Massive Attack

I know this song, but it’s okay, because I didn’t really recognize the title and I hadn’t listened to it in ages. Of course, I first heard it from the show, House, M.D., and I’ve listened to it a lot when I’m driving around with my sister, because she likes Massive Attack. I’m assuming this may be their most popular song? Well, it’s certainly great. I love the haunting piano melody, and the vocals are wonderful. This song is really dark, but makes me feel pretty good, honestly. I have no complaints here.

9.5/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0 – “Moonsetter” – Homestuck, Vol. 9

I have no idea what to call this song, but hopefully what’s above ^^^^ is right. Isn’t this a comic? I had no idea there was a score for it, but this is cool. Reminds me of some good old videogame music, peaceful, and ambitious. The strings are so happy and the piano reminds me of a nice puppy arriving to a new, warm cottage where there is a nice fire and hot chocolate being served to the guests. But why does it have to be so short? This is definitely the most odd entry I’ve received in the roulette, but that’s what I love about you Shadow, you just send whatever you want, whether or not it really is like other songs or not. Props to you sir, for being you.

10/10

Scorpion – “Snowfall” – God Is An Astronaut

Post-rock, something I can find extremely beautiful, or extremely formulaic and tedious. But which is it? Well, the former, of course. This song is great. It does a good job of starting out smooth and giving you the chance to breathe, then it builds and hits. Simplicity done right, basically. Some post-rock genuinely bores me, and it goes nowhere, but this one elevates itself into such a great, orgasmic climax. I’ve got to listen to more of them.

10/10

Tom Bombadil – “In The Kitchen” – Umphrey’s McGee

I’m not even sure what this band really is, King sent me a song from them last roulette, I think called “Mantis”, and it felt proggy, but melodic and having that jam kind of feel to it. This doesn’t come off as very progressive to me, but kind of a tame jam style, which sounds great. On both songs, I loved the vocals, and this might actually be my favorite of the two. This song for some reason reminds me a bit of Phish, just less extreme on the instrumental side. Great song, I love it.

10/10

Standings after Round 6:

1. senecadawg2 (56 Points)
2. Tom Bombadil (55 Points)
3. Sacul (54.5 Points)
4. Elite (53.5 Points)
5. kingshmegland (52 Points)
6. Train of Naught (51 Points)
7. splent (50 Points)
8. Scorpion (49.5 Points)
9. Shadow Ninja 2.0 (48 Points)
10. Parama (46.5 Points)

Parama dropped dramatically while Tom jumped to 2nd, and Shadow and Scorpion much improved their scores and caught back up. Seneca remains 1. Will he be caught?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 6 RESULTS..Already?)
« Reply #307 on: January 13, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »
i didn't really expect better but yeah  :lol

technically Moonsetter is by Toby Fox, also

and anyways i'll catch up a little with my round 7 song

maybe

i'm not playing to win this roulette anyways, so  :lol

oh yeah and skies is the best PtH song

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: January 13, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
Spence great tune!!!

Umphrey’s McGee is all over the place musically.  Live they are a jam band that is progressive but it don't stop them from doing a 4 minute catchy pop tune.  Very much like Phish.  Good catch!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #309 on: January 13, 2016, 12:08:52 PM »

oh yeah and skies is the best PtH song

NO, don't listen to him, you're doing the right thing at giving them another shot! Volition is the best album to start with, it's musically very very chaotic in the beginning but it will all make sense.

I hope you won't torture any more souls with Angelic Process in the future Parama.

Also, sent some juicy instrumental prog metal.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: January 13, 2016, 12:11:50 PM »
i'm not saying that as a means to dissuade him from checking out more PtH because he totally should, they're great
i'm just commenting

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: January 13, 2016, 12:17:19 PM »
Teardrop is excellent  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #312 on: January 13, 2016, 12:38:55 PM »
You're right that Thrice is typically heavier. This song is definitely an oddball

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: January 13, 2016, 12:40:42 PM »
i didn't comment on that did i, yeah
thrice's older stuff is pretty heavy. heck, fire is really heavy. their last few albums weren't so heavy though.
i prefer vhiessu and beggars to the alchemy index in general, regardless

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #314 on: January 13, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »
You're right that Thrice is typically heavier. This song is definitely an oddball

the entire Alchemy Index is so good
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.