Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (FINAL ROUND RESULTS.. DONE! (finally)  (Read 34195 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 3 RESULTS, finally)
« Reply #245 on: December 24, 2015, 09:07:30 AM »
Deliver them tomorrow at 6 am pls

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #246 on: December 24, 2015, 09:09:45 AM »
I actually really regret sending this song but I guess soon enough my failure will be confirmed.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #247 on: December 24, 2015, 09:11:23 AM »
i do not regret sending the song i sent
it may not score really well but it may also score really well and that's ok

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #248 on: December 24, 2015, 09:17:37 AM »
Don't ever have regrets, I may not love whatever is sent to me, but every bit of it is appreciated because i know YOU like it.

Results very soon, like today, like in the hour, like in the next 30 minutes, like maybe sooner.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #249 on: December 24, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
but every bit of it is appreciated because i know YOU like it.
Well I did send a song in Parama's roulette that I didn't really care for but I thought would fit the theme better than any of my own music, and it ended up getting the highest score out of anything I've sent  :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: December 24, 2015, 09:40:29 AM »
Round 4 Results:

Parama – “Old Skin” - Ólafur Arnalds

This is alright. It’s got some nice melodies to it the vocals are very fitting with the music, but it just doesn’t really grab me in anyway. I look at it as kind of boring, but maybe it works better in the context of the album? Definitely not a bad track, but I don’t see myself coming back to this much at all.

7.5/10

Splent – “Sing a Song” – Earth, Wind & Fire

I like the R&B, soul, and jazz style of music, I just don’t listen to it that much. The music here is nice and the vocals are fun too. My mother listens to a lot of music in this style, so I feel like I’ve probably heard this before, but it’s very enjoyable and does a good job of putting you into a nice, uplifting mood.

8/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0 – “Kiss With a Spell” – Angels & Airwaves

Another band I’ve heard a lot of good things about but never got around to giving them much of a listen. All I know is that Tom DeLonge from Blink182 is the vocalist here, and I love Blink182, so that’s good. His vocals are of course, a lot more tame in this song compared to Blink’s, but I don’t know if the same could be said for the other A&A songs. This is good though.

8.5/10

Sacul – “Roads” – Portishead

Of course I’ve heard Glory Box, which is nice, but not like a favorite or anything. This song is more enjoyable in my opinion. Her vocals are great, and the music is even better. It’s very, very chill, relaxing music, and perfect for rainy days like it has been here the past few days.

8.5/10

Scorpion – “Nothijngrad” – Novembre

I’m not sure why, but this song gives me a weird Agalloch/Anathema fusion vibe. Maybe just the beginning, idk. The atmosphere and mood of this song is really appealing to me, maybe it’s the guitar tones or the production, but something about it is just really nice. The vocals, both clean and harsh, are very nice. The outro is very cool, too.

8.5/10

Elite – “Sacrifice” – The Expendables

The Expendables was an okay movie, a bit of a run-of-the-mill action film with big named actors, but I have not seen the sequels. That being said, I’ve never heard of the band “The Expendables”, and based on this song, it’s a lot different than most of the progressive metal you usually send, but you’ve actually been sending a big variety in this roulette. I guess this would classify as reggae rock? If so, that’s cool. I definitely haven’t listened to much in this genre, so it’s cool hearing something new to my ears like this. The vocals oddly fit the music, at least that’s how it is to me. I like this.

8.5/10

Train of Naught – “Misguided” – Distorted Harmony

You said I’d probably like this because I like Dream Theater and I’m on a Dream Theater forum where I was sent a Circus Maximus song by you, in which I liked, therefore, it’s kinda like Haken, and then there’s this. So. Yeah. It’s a good song, I guess you were right, but no bonus points for you. Great guitar tone on this song, and it really makes me wish DT would get their shit together and improve their instrument sounds, because DT12 had horrible guitar tones IMO. Anyway, back to this song. I love the soloing around 5:52, the bassline is pretty sick. The vocals are great, the drumming, the guitars, everything really. This band is tight, and packs a good lunch. I mean punch.

9/10

Tom Bombadil – “Hometown” – Twenty One Pilots

This is a good song. I only knew “Heavydirtysoul” until now, and this is a better song. I like them both though. Is the rest of this album good like this? Or is it filler with only a few gems? I need to check the rest of it out for sure. I like the vocals on this song and the electronic elements. Doesn’t feel over the top or anything and it’s just really catchy and enjoyable.

9/10

Senecadawg2 – “Song to the Siren” – Tim Buckley

Cool that you sent this considering Elite sent me Jeff earlier in the roulette. This song is really, really good, and I actually have a hard time choosing what I like better between Jeff and Tim based on the songs I’ve heard from each. I guess both are great for different moods. There’s nothing catchy about this song, and nothing flashy. There doesn’t have to be, it’s just a guitar and his voice, and it’s great. I imagine Tim is one of those musicians where the studio versions of songs don’t do him justice, so thanks for this live version. I like this a lot.

9.5/10

Kingshmegland – “Past Gravity” – Echolyn

The other Echolyn song you sent me last roulette was awesome, so I was looking forward to hearing this. And…this sounds nothing like their other song, but this is great! ! This isn’t quite as upbeat as “The End is Beautiful”, and I like it better. It’s a beautiful song and I love the vocals. I'm not really sure what it is about this song that I like so much, maybe it's just everything. The soft atmosphere this song executes is just great, and I really admire the outro, as there are gorgeous melodies throughout the song. I guess I should really just go ahead and check them out, right? The two songs you've sent me have been excellent. :tup

9.5/10

Standings after Round 4:

1. senecadawg2 (38 Points)
2. Sacul (36.5 Points)
2. Tom Bombadil (36.5 Points)
4. Elite (36 Points)
5. kingshmegland (34.5 Points)
6. Train of Naught (33.5 Points)
7. splent (32.5 Points)
8. Parama (31.5 Points)
8. Scorpion (31.5 Points)
10. Shadow Ninja 2.0 (29.5 Points)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: December 24, 2015, 09:41:01 AM »
Double check your scores to make sure I added correctly. :)

And send Round 5 songs

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 4 RESULTS)
« Reply #252 on: December 24, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »
my total score should be correct
and aahh i see oh well  :lol
it's an album that's pretty alright but Old Skin is the best track and I love it, but i can understand it being a bit boring for you

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #253 on: December 24, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »
Yes, my score is correct, awesome! I had very high hopes when sending this initially but they dropped after Tom 6,5'd that same song  :lol glad you liked it though.

Sending when I feel like it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #254 on: December 24, 2015, 10:13:26 AM »
Woot!   I love the diversity with Echolyn.  Alright, I'll send a song on the 26th!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: December 24, 2015, 10:14:45 AM »
You can't send a song now? Dude, it's the holidays, not like you have anything going on..? :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: December 24, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Um, I'm at work! :lol

Wait. >:(

Get out of work and it's visiting family tonight and all day tomorrow.  Saturday it will be! :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: December 24, 2015, 10:18:45 AM »
 :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: December 24, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »
I'd like to listen to a few songs while driving to narrow it down but I know the wife will cry and want Christmas music. :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: December 24, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »
Maybe send a Christmas song. Chances are I might rate it about 3

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #260 on: December 24, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »
Cool. Yeah you should check out the rest of the album, it's all pretty good, although I prefer their previous work "Vessels"

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #261 on: December 24, 2015, 10:25:55 AM »
I forget, have you mentioned anything about your opinion on electronic influences in music/elcetronic music before? I'm feeling CRAYZEY :hat

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: December 24, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »
Maybe send a Christmas song. Chances are I might rate it about 3

Not that I'd send one but I bet I could get an 8 with a few songs.  Jars Of Clay has a fantastic Christmas album that is so unique.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #263 on: December 24, 2015, 10:30:06 AM »
that Sacrifice song was in guitar hero at one point I think, haha

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: December 24, 2015, 10:34:34 AM »
I forget, have you mentioned anything about your opinion on electronic influences in music/elcetronic music before? I'm feeling CRAYZEY :hat

I mean I don't listen to much of it but that doesn't mean I don't like it. I'm just not familiar with a lot of it.

Cool. Yeah you should check out the rest of the album, it's all pretty good, although I prefer their previous work "Vessels"

Noted.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #265 on: December 24, 2015, 10:44:34 AM »
It seems like some of y'all might be overthinking your submissions. As if you have a chance of winning this thing  :lol
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #266 on: December 24, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »
i've had my entire submission list pretty much planned from the getgo
and i already have a victory so i'm fine tyvm

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #267 on: December 24, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »
Cent

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #268 on: December 24, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »
that Sacrifice song was in guitar hero at one point I think, haha

I think you might be right. The album the song is on is actually really good and a lot of fun to listen to.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: December 24, 2015, 11:55:18 AM »
i remembered playing it so i looked it up, it was free DLC for one of the games  :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #270 on: December 24, 2015, 08:34:24 PM »
Open round right? Feeling festive.  Sending the same song across the board.

I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: January 01, 2016, 03:36:41 PM »
Just need 3 more entries. Hope the holidays went well for everyone.

Now. Back to business. :hat

And hopefully at a quicker pace, on my end.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: January 01, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
Sweet.  I'm dying to read your thoughts on my song sent.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #273 on: January 02, 2016, 01:12:07 AM »
don't worry man, I can confirm that my song was the best. Just apply ten points to my score, plz.
This is a pretty good strategy to fix the pace problems, worked in my sixth round pretty smoothly :neverusethis:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #274 on: January 07, 2016, 07:35:48 AM »
So, what's going on? The holiday season is over and it is my hope (and desire) that you can pick up the pace now. You were going a bit slow before December aswell so consider this a friendly kick in the butt to get it moving.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2016, 08:39:30 AM »
I just received my last entry last night so I was not able to do anything until then. Meh, I'll just end the roulette if it becomes a problem, which it already seems to be doing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »
I just received my last entry last night so I was not able to do anything until then. Meh, I'll just end the roulette if it becomes a problem, which it already seems to be doing.

No you don't.  Crack that whip

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
Scent in advance.

Double corn for double results anticipation  :corn :corn

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2016, 09:22:26 AM »
A few write-ups left, so expect results in a half hour. I received the last entry last night so hey, I can complete and post results for a round in just half a day, so why don't we just do that and finish quickly so I'm not holding up the others. And yes I'm giving the songs at least 4 listens.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2016, 09:59:43 AM »
Round 5 Results:

Scorpion – “Death of a King” – Amorphis

Well, the introduction to this song certainly kicks ass. I’m a bit iffy on the harsh vocals, but they aren’t bad. Luckily, this song is dominated more-so by the clean vocals, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The instrumentation of this song is excellent, and really creates a dark and evil mood.

8/10

splent – “Twelve Days of Christmas” - Béla Fleck and the Flecktones

Well, if my pacing hadn’t been so shitty, this could have been done by Christmas, and I would have been in more of a mood for this. However, I’m not basing it on that. This song is nice. I don’t generally listen to much Christmas music, but I find this much more enjoyable from a musician’s perspective. It’s got times of relaxation, and cool up-tempo passages. Just sayin’, if I’m gonna be listening to Christmas music, it’s going be the kind like this.

8/10

Tom Bombadil – “There Is” – Boxcar Racer

I thought this was Blink182 when it came on the playlist, then I realized it wasn’t. But that’s okay because Tom and Travis are included and I love Blink182. Tom’s vocals have always been a hit for me, and Travis’ drumming keeps all the songs really fresh. I was actually expecting this song to pick-up a bit as the the whole thing felt like a build up. Great stuff, though.

8.5/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0 – “Findlay” – Landon Tewers

Definitely an interesting entry, the whispered vocals, well, I wasn’t too fond of them at first, but they grew on me. This song is really filled with emotions of pain and agony and you don’t even have to know the lyrics to realize that, just the tone of his voice. The music is very nice too, has somewhat of a majestic feel to it.

8.5/10

Sacul – “Crowded Corridors” – Iamthemorning

This is unusual, with the electric guitar playing in the middle of peaceful (harp?) melodies and soft vocals. I like it though. Whoever this is has a really wonderful and calm voice, and while the music stays pretty busy, it just works. The piano work is certainly impressive and appealing, moments of brightness and darkness invade this song. It’s very dynamic and I enjoy it.

8.5/10

Train of Naught – “Witchcraft” – Pendulum

The only song I know from this album is “The Fountain” and that’s just because of Steven Wilson. I did very much like that song and I had intended to go back to this album and check it out. I’m not the biggest fan of electronic music, but I do enjoy this quite a bit. The vocals are nice and there are some really nice and memorable melodies here.

9/10

Senecadawg2 – “Society” – Eddie Vedder

I’ve always enjoyed Eddie as a vocalist for Pearl Jam, as they are one of my favorite ‘90s efforts, but I’ve never really heard his solo stuff. I know of this movie and his performance on the soundtrack, but I never got around to listening to it. This song is very relaxing and would work well as an instrumental but the inclusion of his vocals makes it even better.

9/10

Elite – “Marigold” – Caligula’s Horse

This song feels Opeth-esque to begin, especially with the guitar tone and atmosphere and all. I really like this one a lot, I’ve heard City Has No Empathy, and the vocalist is fantastic on both tracks. I guess I could describe this band as a fusion of Haken and Opeth. Obviously, that’s a compliment to the band and that’s a cool mix from my perspective.

9/10

Kingshmegland – “Star You Are” – Dada

You were right. This song has beauty and darkness in one. I assume it’s about someone stalking someone else, and that’s just downright creepy. It’s pretty funny though because the music would make it seem like a love song. This is the beauty of songwriting, musically and lyrically. They don’t always really have to go hand in hand and be parallel. Sometimes switching things up can really bring great results, like this. I don’t have any complaints with this song, it’s beautifully haunting.

9/10

Parama – “The Unlikely Event of a Water Landing” – Intronaut

I saw them live with Between the Buried and Me, but considering I knew nothing about this band and my ears were about to burst, I can’t say it was very enjoyable. That’s not their fault though, but rather the venue and my lack of knowledge of the band. Here’s my first official listen of them since that night in 2013. I really dig the music, the vocals are actually kind of up my alley. Harsh vocals tend to be a weird thing for me, they either really work, or they really don’t. There are only two bands with harsh vocals I listen to, and that’s Opeth and Between the Buried and Me. I can’t describe to you why I prefer those and not others, but I do really like Intronaut’s based on this song. The music is wonderful, I love the ending, as I really tend to love mellow moments in metal music. From what I’ve read though, this isn’t as heavy as previous outings, correct? Either way, I like this and it can probably be a good start for me getting into the band.

9.5/10

Standings after Round 5:

1. senecadawg2 (47 Points)
2. Sacul (45 Points)
2. Tom Bombadil (45 Points)
2. Elite (45 Points)
5. kingshmegland (43.5)
6. Train of Naught (42.5)
7. Parama (41 Points)
8. splent (40.5 Points)
9. Scorpion (39.5 Points)
10. Shadow Ninja 2.0 (38 Points)

Considering the low range of this round, there's not a lot of changes. Seneca extends his lead, Elite joins the battle with Tom and Sacul. Parama and splent switch spots. Good round, guys. Everyone should have received a P.M. saying that you can send songs as soon as you want. I'm doing my best to finish the remaining rounds in just a couple weeks at most. Thanks.