Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (FINAL ROUND RESULTS.. DONE! (finally)  (Read 34117 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 - Who Wants In?
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2015, 09:22:32 AM »
hype-for-listening bump

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 - Who Wants In?
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2015, 04:53:11 PM »
I've given all songs a few listens so far and I'm liking what I'm hearing. Nothing here that i dislike but it usually takes a lot for me to dislike something, as I'm very open.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 1 IN PROGRESS)
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
:eyebrows:

Open eh.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 05:31:57 PM »
:thatswhatshesaid: :zydar: :neverusethis:

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »
Expect results tonight or tomorrow.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2015, 09:33:28 AM »
Alriight!  :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2015, 09:35:48 AM »
If you behave. :police:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2015, 12:02:07 PM »
I always expect results from you at night.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2015, 01:41:04 PM »
i'll die in real life if you don't provide results tonight or tomorrow

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »
I'm gassy.

With excitement.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2015, 01:45:16 AM »
09:45 am on the 11th day of the 11th month in the year 2015. There is no food, everybody is gone. Still no sign of results, I wonder if they ever come.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2015, 01:30:28 PM »
I guess expectations do indeed go to hell.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »
it's still "tomorrow" for me

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »
Fair enough

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 02:44:45 PM »
It's 4:44 pm, my time. I'll post by 11:59:59 pm, my time.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2015, 04:30:40 PM »
08:26 pm. Still no results. I have slowly given up the hope, and I must often remind myself that they'll come soon. I'm afraid I'll eventually forget what I was waiting for in the first place.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2015, 04:42:28 PM »
 :chill

i know i'm impatient for my 5/10 too but sheesh guys  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2015, 04:50:40 PM »
Here is sit wallowing in my beer opening my Internet browser on my phone seeing others in despair.   

I take another sip.

:neverusethis:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »
sitting here listening to that headspace album for the first time and i'm not really in despair because i have no intentions of winning this roulette, i already won bizkit's first one so this time i can safely just send random stuff  i have no clue whether or not he'll like

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 05:16:33 PM »
2nd place attitude there.  You should want to 2-peat!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 05:21:03 PM »
less that and more "here's this cool stuff i want to show you, if i win that's basically just a side-effect"
granted, that's how i won his roulette the first time, so

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2015, 05:22:42 PM »

in the wrong headspace  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2015, 05:37:22 PM »

in the wrong headspace  ;D

:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2015, 05:38:09 PM »
less that and more "here's this cool stuff i want to show you, if i win that's basically just a side-effect"
granted, that's how i won his roulette the first time, so

I listened to every one of your songs. They were amazing. You know what you are doing!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
Sometimes Iwonder whether Parama is serious when he says he is sending one of his favorite songs or if he is just invoking pity from the host.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2015, 06:03:17 PM »
I'm chill

:splent:
:splent1:
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »
Sometimes Iwonder whether Parama is serious when he says he is sending one of his favorite songs or if he is just invoking pity from the host.
i was absolutely serious with Idioglossia, best prog metal song of all time, that's never changing, ever  :lol
for what it's worth if i wanted to win your points the easy way i'd probably have sent Iter Impius or Undertow but where's the fun in safe choices  :hat

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2015, 06:12:06 PM »
You're better off asking Shadow Ninja :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2015, 07:46:20 PM »
yeah i'm mostly interested in sending music i like or think is interesting and want to share with other people.

i really dont give one shit about winnin' nothin'

as you can tell by my performances in various roulettes. :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2015, 07:48:54 PM »
yeah i'm mostly interested in sending music i like or think is interesting and want to share with other people.

That's the way it should be!

I'm starting my writeups now, will post as soon as finished.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2015, 08:24:04 PM »
as you can tell by my performances in various roulettes. :lol
again, for what it's worth, the second half of my roulette you had the highest average score of anyone  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2015, 08:24:43 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2015, 09:00:39 PM »
Round 1 Results:

I'm going to apologize ahead of time and say my write ups aren't really the best things you've ever read. I absolutely hate writing, so I just write a few things that come to mind when listening. I've seen some of you guys' write ups and they're like freaking essays. I'm just gonna be blunt and to the point. :lol

Scorpion - "Vinushka" - Dir En Grey

If I had to pick a least favorite part of this song, it would be the vocals. I'm certainly fine with them, but there are certain parts, like the end, that just don't hit me the right way. Not bad by any means, but not particularly something I really enjoy. As far as the musical arrangements go, the intro is really badass. I really like the slower parts of this song like the beginning and somewhere in the middle around 6 minutes. There's a certain mood to this song that really works and this song definitely flows well. It just happens to be my least favorite of the round, but still a nice solid song.

7/10

Splent - "Stolas" - Scale the Summit

Instrumental progressive metal/rock is something that can be hit or miss with me. I either really enjoy it, or I can find it really boring. For example, Animals as Leaders, I am a fan of them, but some of their stuff is just so "by the numbers" and uninspired. Meanwhile, listening to Chon, they feel so fresh and fun, with a ton of energy. I'd say this song is about the half-way point for me. It's certainly good, but not great. Scale the Summit is surely a talented group, but something I can enjoy in small doses. One really good thing I like about this song is that considering how it's only 5 minutes, it does change up the pacing and melodies. Some very cool moments, like around 3:30. This is enjoyable, for sure, but not something I'd probably go back to a lot.

7.5/10

Train of Naught  - "Figure It Out" - Royal Blood

What you sent me here is a simple, straight-forward rocker. Good thing is, it's kickin'. It may not feel like the most original thing, and for some reason I get a Black Keys/Jet fusion listening to this, which isn't a bad thing at all. I think the strength of this one is the chorus. The verses are pretty good, but I do get a lot more interested when the chorus comes around. Also, I do like the finale of the song, the quick buildup and climactic finish. It's a really tight song, with good energy, but like the previous songs, it's good, but not something I'm going to find myself going back to often.

7.5/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - "Leave a Trace" - CHVRCHES

Funny you sent this because a friend of mine just showed me a song of theirs just 2 weeks ago. The song was "Tether", and I think I actually prefer it to this one. Luckily, I like both a lot. The vocalist is really good and the songs are extremely catchy. I've always liked me some synth-pop, it's just fun to listen to and always has a good vibe going with it. Nothing really out of the ordinary here, but the strength is definitely the vocals. Her melodies are very creative, and not predictable, and that makes me want to come back to this.

8/10

Parama - "Naif/Linear Failure/My Favorite Society Guy" - East of the Wall

This one took the longest to click out of all entries, but maybe that's just because it's the longest of the bunch. This song (more like, 3 combined) really does take on a lot of different styles, at first, I really thought it was going to be this slow sludge metal track, and then it felt more like an alternative metal track when the vocals came in. Then, it got heavier, maybe hardcore? I usually don't listen to many artists with this vocal style, but I really like them, and I think it works well within the context of the music. The solo in the middle is quite relaxing and serves as a good breather in between the more chaotic moments of the song, I think my favorite part of it though is around the 6:20 mark and onward. The riffs are really great, and the song gets to its highest point IMO. One thing I can take from this that I really, really enjoy is the production. It has that loose, aggressive feel to it, and I've heard it done wrong plenty of times. In this case, it definitely hasn't. Awesome track!

8.5/10

Elite - "See Hell" - Agent Fresco

2nd times the charm, right? You sent me "Dark Water" in my first roulette, and I did actually enjoy it, regardless of it being ranked so low. However, I much prefer this one. The intro is awesome, the mix of guitars and keys really give it this epic feel to it. I said it then, and I'll say it again: This feels like Haken-pop music, which is most definitely a compliment. The vocalist is really great, and it couldn't fit the instrumentation any more perfectly. The drumming is super tight in this song, and I guess that's just something I notice, being a drummer. This is a truly great and catchy song, great choice, I guess you were saving the better Fresco song for this roulette.

8.5/10

senecadawg2 - "John My Beloved" - Sufjan Stevens

Probably the most emotional of the entries, along with Sacul's. I can definitely see what you like about this one, it's super relaxing, and the vocals can almost put you to sleep, in a good way of course. The piano melody later in the song is beautiful and the song only gets better as it goes. My favorite part of this is around 3:10. The almost-whispered vocals and the soft touch of the keys make this a comforting experience. This is a perfect song to listen to on a rainy day, which we've definitely had a lot of lately around this area. Also, I've seen this album get mentioned a lot, specifically on Sputnik, so thanks for sharing a track from it, I'm definitely going to check the rest of it out.

9/10

Tom Bombadil - "Jack of Speed" - Steely Dan

This song is the definition of "cool". Seriously. The tight, yet groovy foundation of the drums, the incorporation of jazz instruments, and breathing guitars really make this track a fine one, and the vocals on top of it are great. Out of all the songs, this might be the one I was most initially excited for. I've heard only a few Steely Dan tracks on the radio, and I always told myself I really liked them and that I need to seriously check them out. This jazz-rock piece is nearly perfect, and it's been stuck in my head for days now. Appreciate it :tup

9.5/10

kingshmegland - "Caterpillar and the Barbed Wire" - Riverside

Ahhh, Riverside. I've listened to like 3 songs from them, and never went back to them. Why? Not because I disliked them, but because I'm an extremely lazy music discoverer. If this is from their new album, then this really rocks. Actually, now that I remember, Seneca sent me a song a couple months ago from the same album. Riverside is probably at the top of my "Get Your Ass to Listening To" list, and Caterpillar and the Barbed Wire pretty much solidifies that. I can't decide what my favorite part of the song is. The vocals are really, REALLY good, and the music is even better. The atmosphere of this song is huge and resounding. Probably going to start listening to them this week!

9.5/10

Sacul - "EOS" - Ulver

Wow, you hit the spot man! It must be obvious now that I really like ambient and atmospheric music. I listened to Shadows of the Sun a while back, like over a year ago, maybe even 2, I can't remember. This song is pretty much perfect, and I realized that on first listen. Not the kind of song you should have playing your car, but rather when it's dark, quiet, and a period of reflection. The vocals are somber, in which case usually isn't something I'd enjoy, but it works wonderful in this track. My favorite time to listen to music is when I'm tired and half-asleep, and this is what I would want to listen to when doing that. I'm not saying I like everything that's ambient and atmospheric, because yes, some of it is boring, but definitely not in this case. I have to check out this album and I HAVE to love it. Great choice and good start Lucas!

10/10

Great round, everyone! As stated before, I'm not very picky and I generally enjoy everything. Honestly anything below like a 6.5 is something I don't enjoy, so most likely, you won't be seeing much of that in this roulette.

Standings after Round 1:

1. Sacul (10 Points)
2. kingshmegland (9.5 Points)
2. Tom Bombadil (9.5 Points)
4. senecadawg2 (9 Points)
5. Elite (8.5 Points)
5. Parama (8.5 Points)
7. Shadow Ninja 2.0 (8 Points)
8. Train of Naught (7.5 Points)
8. splent (7.5 Points)
10. Scorpion (7 Points)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 1 RESULTS)
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2015, 09:06:43 PM »
And go ahead and send Round 2. Remember every round is open !

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 1 RESULTS)
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2015, 09:09:18 PM »
yeah that's easily the best song on Riverside's new album  :lol
also wow I missed that they weren't on the banned list for two roulettes in a row? okay
Eos is great too, need to pick up that album soon

and the mixing and production on that EotW album is just amazing, you can pick out every element individually and follow it for as long as you please, nothing gets drowned out and nothing overpowers everything else but it never sounds cluttered and aaaggh i just listened to it again earlier today and i'm still blown away every time  :lol

anyways i'm gonna be sorta modifying my submissions a little depending on your feedback because a lot of artists have two or three songs i could enter and figuring out which one's best for you is the goal  :tup

i'll send round two soon. gotta go through a few songs from an artist real quick but i have an album on and I don't want to stop it  :lol