Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (FINAL ROUND RESULTS.. DONE! (finally)  (Read 34105 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 2 IN PROGRESS)
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2015, 09:43:08 PM »
i knew you'd say that

You're one to talk
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2015, 03:33:50 AM »
:lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2015, 12:05:34 PM »
I'd like to have a good reputation of posting results early rather than late.
:jamaritard:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2015, 12:06:17 PM »
:soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2015, 12:26:08 PM »
i'm just really hyped for my 4/10

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2015, 12:29:55 PM »
The Biscuit will never rate a song at 4/10. Unless, maybe....

Nah, I don't see it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2015, 12:33:32 PM »
i don't know his tastes in metal but i could see at least one of my potential entries just being outright hated by him  :lol

this is my fault for basically not submitting any metal last roulette tho
and bizkit didn't really submit any metal in my roulette, either

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »
Didn't he send Rage Against The Machine? Or is that rock
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »
that's barely metal
and i didn't really like it much anyways  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »
I'm making up my own label.  It's anti establishment rock, with rap undertones. :lol

I sent a pop to folks.  It's an album cut so I wonder how the Bizkit will like it or not.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »
The Biscuit will never rate a song at 4/10. Unless, maybe....

Nah, I don't see it.

I consider this a personal challenge.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »
one of the songs i'm thinking of for round 3 could get a 4/10 if bizkit doesn't like it

'cause there's like no middle ground on it imo

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2015, 04:08:51 PM »
Nah, the biscuit rarely "hates" a song, he ain't as harsh rating as you  :P :angel:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
my ratings scale ended up too generous in the end and i'm going to fix that next time

i wanted like 5.5 or 6.0 to be absolute "meh" with anything being higher being like the lowest song I found "decent" but it ended up being like 6.5 was where entries started to toe the line between "meh" and "decent"
i'll try to keep the scoring more consistent next time I guess

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
  When I run mine, I'm going to have a rubric
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2015, 04:40:44 PM »
We are all waiting like a teenage girl next to her phone right now.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2015, 04:55:47 PM »

i wanted like 5.5 or 6.0 to be absolute "meh" with anything being higher being like the lowest song I found "decent" but it ended up being like 6.5 was where entries started to toe the line between "meh" and "decent"
i'll try to keep the scoring more consistent next time I guess
This is pretty much how I'm doing it. 5.5-6.5 is "meh" 7-7.5 is good, 8-9 is great. Luckily so far I haven't gotten anything worse than "meh".

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »
oh, then i'm not trying hard enough

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2015, 05:04:03 PM »
Me and Parama are taking an alternate approach to roulettes, where we try to get the worst scores possible. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2015, 05:06:48 PM »
mostly i tend to generally ignore the tastes of whoever's roulette i'm in and just send whatever i want, though if there's a piece of their tastes plainly spelled out then usually i'll follow that rule for the most part

like i'm not sending instrumentals to anyone who says they don't like instrumentals  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2015, 05:16:42 PM »
I play these games to hear music I might not ever try or hear about.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »
i'm super bad at listening to other peoples' entries, mostly because i'm way too lazy to seek them out myself

this is exactly why i linked everyone's songs in my roulette when i posted results, but this is a trend that unfortunately did not catch on  :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2015, 05:26:17 PM »
I do because you can get a sense what styles the guy running the roulette likes.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2015, 06:03:38 PM »
Nah, the biscuit rarely "hates" a song, he ain't as harsh rating as you  :P :angel:

This is correct.

Okay guys, been busy as fuck, but I'm going to post results in a few hours, just be patient.
I'd like to have a good reputation of posting results early rather than late.
:jamaritard:

Late is whatever I say, bitch.

:tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »
who's ready for the hype train

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2015, 08:39:22 PM »
Round 2 Results:

Shadow Ninja 2.0 – "Carnival of Rust" – Poets of the Fall

Alright man, this song just doesn’t do much for me. I hate to use this word, but it almost has that generic kind of feel to it. Sometimes, that isn’t a bad thing, but it just doesn’t rub me the right way this time. I’m not a fan of the vocalist, and I honestly find this song a bit boring. I wish I could like it as much as you, because I feel like it is a well-made song, I just don’t find it appealing to my ears. Though, really, it’s not a bad song, it just falls in the meh, category for me.

6/10

Parama – “A Gentleman Caller” – Cursive

“The fuck?” was my first thought when listening to this. I’m still unsure how I really feel about it. It’s got some cool parts, but some flat out weird parts. The beginning makes me want to slam my head on an ice sculpture, but maybe that’s good? This is definitely the weirdest of all entries, and I’m not really surprised to be honest. There’s some cool sections at the beginning of the song, the mini riffs are nice, and the vocals are decent in a certain loosey goosey garage band kind of way. The second half of the song is definitely better though, and it makes up for the “okay” first half. The vocals improve, and the strings give it a nice buildup moment. It’s definitely a strange choice, but much more deserving than a four.

6.5/10

kingshmegland – "Ladybird" – Tears for Fears

Wait, this is the same band that did Everybody Wants to Rule the World? Interesting, this sounds completely different. The chorus of this one is absolutely fantastic, as there’s just so much energy. Something about the atmosphere makes me want to just flap my wings and fly into the sky, like a bird, maybe I’ll be Manbird. I don’t really know how this band sounds considering the two I’ve listened to sound completely different from one another. My favorite part is surely the chorus and just the vocals in general, cool tune.

8/10

Tom Bombadil – “The New Auld Lang Syne”– Less Than Jake

I know I’ve heard of this band somewhere, and this song sounds strangely familiar, maybe from a Tony Hawk videogame or something. Punk is a hit or miss genre with me, but in this case, it works. It’s a fun, quick song, like most punk, and I really like the vocals. He’s got the kind of aggressively unserious singing style, if that makes any sense.  It’s a pretty silly track, but they have a tight sound, and I like the inclusions of the brass instruments. My favorite part of it is probably the introduction, actually. Cool song for sure.

8/10

splent – "Beginnings" – Chicago

What I’ve heard of Chicago I really love, especially 25 or 6 to 4. One thing I really appreciate about this band is their fusion of rock and jazz into one, it’s great stuff. The vocals on top make it even better. Everything in this song is just really, really good, and for some reason I’m having a hard time putting it into words why I enjoy it so much, just that it has that good ol’ classic rock feel to it, with more cool vibes from the brass instruments and other percussion instruments. Cool song, and yet, another band I need to check into more.

8.5/10

Scorpion – "Morpheus" – Steve Rothery

I love me some good atmospheric, instrumental rock. This is not something I really listen to often honestly, but it does make for some really good study and driving music (both not at separate times of course). The guitar work is fantastic, and the addition of the good drumming and piano melodies make this a fantastic piece of music. From start to finish, this song is a fun, smooth ride, and it keeps me interested for the eight minute entirety.

9/10

Train of Naught – “Architect of Fortune” – Circus Maximus

Oh here we go, another praised band on this site that I have yet to check out. I’ve heard them described as a “watered down” Dream Theater, or maybe some prog metal-by-the-numbers, but I’m going to give it my own description. I can definitely hear some DT influence in this, but that’s definitely not bad. The guitar solos are really clean and fresh sounding to me, and it has some very cool structure changes. If I had to choose a weaker link, it would be the vocals. They aren’t bad, but they don’t necessarily stand out to me. However, the music is really awesome, so that kind of outweighs that. I will say the vocals are much better than many progressive metal bands I’ve listened to. Really the only two in that genre I listen to regularly are Dream Theater and Haken, so it’s clearly not one of my favorite genres despite my love for those two bands. Maybe I’ll add some Circus Maximus though, this song kicks ass for sure. I love the solo at 7:10, I keep coming back to that. Nice song.

9/10

Elite – "Grace" – Jeff Buckley

I’ve been meaning to check out Buckley for a long time, and the only thing I ever heard from him was Hallelujah. Based on this song, I can already tell he’s a great vocalist and guitarist. This song really has kind of a haunting atmosphere to it, and I didn’t expect that. The guitar work is excellent and not excessive, and his singing is top notch, as his high notes are incredible. He’s definitely one hell of an influential musician, it’s a shame he had to die so young. This song is great, and one of the best of this round. I’m definitely going to be listening to this album soon, I’m very eager to hear it.

9.5/10

Sacul – "Where We Start" – David Gilmour

Gah, David Gilmour. He’s my favorite guitarist of all time, but strangely, I’ve been procrastinating about listening to his solo work, and boy was I missing a lot. This is everything I love about Pink Floyd, but just Gilmour, and it’s perfect. Something about his playing just really gets to me, his tones, just the way he plays. I’ve always been a huge fan of his soft and relaxing vocals as well. This song is amazing in every regard. Sometimes when listening to Gilmour, I can really hear where Steven Wilson gets some of his influences from. This stuff is just perfect. It takes me away into a world in which I don’t want to leave.

10/10

Senecadawg2 – "Bird of Sorrow" – Glen Hansard

Wow, this is pretty much the definition of gorgeous. The soft piano melody, delicate vocals, and warming lyrics combined together make this one a gem. It only gets better as it goes on, and I really do find myself wondering what my favorite thing about it is, whether it’s the music, vocals, or lyrics. I guess that’s what is so great about this song. The climax of it is perfection, with the string arrangements and the emotional vocals mixing together. This is a style of music I’ve never really given much attention, but I feel like I’m starting to really appreciate it, and I’m very eager to check out more. Great! P.S. It's also my favorite song of the round.

10/10

Another great round, though it's a bit of a wider range this time.

Standings after Round 2:

1. Sacul (20 Points)
2. senecadawg2 (19 Points)
3. Elite (18 Points)
3. Train of Naught (18 Points)
5. kingshmegland (17.5 Points)
5. Tom Bombadil (17.5 Points)
7. Scorpion (16 Points)
7. Splent (16 Points)
9. Parama (15 Points)
10. Shadow Ninja 2.0 (14 Points)

GO AHEAD AND SEND FOR ROUND 3
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:12:03 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 2 RESULTS)
« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »
I thought everybody heard Jeff Buckley!

I got to see him on the Grace tour.

Go ahead, hate me. :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2015, 08:47:13 PM »
sent

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2015, 08:49:27 PM »
Not me! Yet  :P

Damn, this was definitely better than expected.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2015, 09:29:41 PM »
heck yeah
okay anyways the two songs i was deciding between for next round were "the dissonant one" and "the melodic one" and since you apparently hate dissonance i know where to go next, awesome  :lol

and i don't really think a gentleman caller is that weird honestly but blah i guess it could be

sacul sent me that gilmour song after my roulette ended and i thought it was alright but maybe i should go listen to it again
bird of sorrow is fantastic and completely deserves the 10/10 tho, especially by your scoring scale  :lol
i'm p. sure i've heard that jeff buckley song before but i can't recall it off the top of my head so i guess i'll look it up later

sending in a minute, then

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2015, 12:12:57 AM »

I got to see him on the Grace tour.

Go ahead, hate me. :lol

Yeah, fuck you! :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2015, 10:01:46 AM »
I may or may not be blocking someone's submission.  ;)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2015, 10:03:03 AM »
well it's not my submission, i can guarantee that

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »
That's what I did this round and you still got a higher score than me :(