Author Topic: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #1: We'll meet again my friend, someday soon.  (Read 23527 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #3: These arms were meant to be lost...
« Reply #280 on: March 17, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »
Thank you all for cmments :)

Been following your list, and was actually a bit surprised to find an Agalloch album so high. It's also my favourite by them.

They're hard to pinpoint in terms of genre, but I can't really say they have post-metal elements just here and there. Our Fortress Is Burning (the whole suite), as well as most of The Mantle, is post-metal. The perception has changed since the Neurosis and Isis breakthrough days.
I don't really know many post-metal bands and those I know (Isis for example) is nothing like Agalloch. Can you recommend me some post-metal similar to The Mantle?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #281 on: March 17, 2016, 12:33:14 PM »
The Mantle is way closer to ABM than post-metal, really

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #282 on: March 17, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »
I've never really thought of Agalloch as post metal, but I guess I can see how it fits. It's a kinda nebulous genre, anyway.

Also, Ashes Against the Grain is a fantastic album, and actually the only Agalloch album I really care for. Which is kind of funny, since apparently it's the band's least favorite.

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #2: I see your face in constellations...
« Reply #283 on: March 18, 2016, 01:21:10 PM »
#2: Mastodon - Crack the Skye(2009)

Progressive metal

I've already had Mastodon on my list but I didn't tell you how I discovered. Well, Last.fm recommended it to me and I listened to Oblivion because it was the most popular song there. I thought intro was cool but Brann's vocals were very offputting. It sounded too poppy for me and monotonous (I believe it's on purpose in Oblivion) so I wasn't discovering them more. But some time later they were touring with Gojira and Slayer so me and my friend decided to go (it was first real concert I attended). I loved Gojira and Slayer but couldn't get into Mastodon. Then I tried this album and while it wasn't love on first listen I liked some parts. Unfortunately, they weren't too good on that show (they seemed tired and had no much energy unlike on their show I saw last year) but I kept listening to Crack the Skye and eventually started loving it. And it is here, on #2. Oblivion didn't get me into Mastodon at first but now I think it's good song to introduce someone to their music. It's progressive and catchy, solo is almost Pink Floyd sounding and overall it is powerful song. Second song is Divination, quite different kind of monster. Intro is signature Mastodon arpeggio riff, something you can hear very often on two albums before Crack the Sky. Those drum fills are ridiculous! There are people who don't like Brann's drumming because it's very fill-oriented, he fills every possible gap with it. I think his drumming is great, reminds me of jazz (and he is big jazz fan). Brent's vocals on this song (and whole album) are better than he could ever perform them live but it's ok, I like his studio voice. Guitar solo is great, different than all of their other solos. Next song is Quintessence. Again different than first two, kinda space rock sounding. Chorus of this song is probably first time on this album Troy sounds like Troy :lol He used that style of singing in later albums more than completely clean voiced. Love that „Let it go, let it go...“ part. Next song, The Czar, deserves big introduction: it's progressive metal piece with all kinds of influences thrown in there such as space rock and stoner metal riffs (not like those on Leviathan but pretty heavy). I'm so grateful I had chance to hear this song in live setting. Vocally, they are not best live band (especially Brent who sings most of this song) but it sounded perfect. That riff on 3:44 is one of my all time favorite riffs, perfectly headbangable and pretty simple. Part after that riff is very progressive and drums just destroy everything. I couldn't believe how strong Brann's drumming is when I heard it live. There is one more riff worth mentioning on 5:03. Just :hefdaddy. One of my favorite songs ever. Next is Ghost of Karelia which is my least favorites song of the album. And I still love it which says how great this album is :D Of course, there are great riff throughout the song and drumming is awesome but my favorite thing about this song are Troy's vocals. His voice sounds very powerful and vocal melodies are pretty cool. Title song features guest vocalist – Scott Kelly of Neurosis, great performance from him, as always. I heard this song live first time I saw Mastodon but unfortunately I didn't care too much for it. After the time it became on of my favorites, intro is absolutely magnificent, Scott's harsh vocals are great and chorus is really catchy. Also, what a guitar solo, something similar to solo from Oblivion but with some fast parts. Last song on the album is also the longest song they ever made (13 minutes). It is similar to The Czar, starting with mellow with some cool guitar and vocal melodies. Progressively it gets more and more heavy (although it's not really heavy). It's well written piece, there is no a moment in The Last Baron that feels forced. It's very progressive and technical, I'd like to hear their other song in this style.
Give this album a few chances. I didn't like it at first but right now it's one of my favorites.
Recommended songs: The Czar, Crack the Skye, Oblivion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #2: I see your face in constellations...
« Reply #284 on: March 18, 2016, 01:50:41 PM »
I gave this album a fair number of chances and still find it "good but not great d(''d)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #285 on: March 18, 2016, 08:40:38 PM »
YES!  Love this album.  The Last Baron and The Czar are great.  The entire album has a cool mystical vibe to it.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2016, 01:36:14 AM »
Love this album! It's very late but for some reason I just had the urge to comment on this album because it's just that good. One of those rare cases where an album grows on me more with every consecutive listen.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2016, 02:32:26 AM »
Wow, that's a surprising choice!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2016, 03:34:33 AM »
Ooh, Crack the Skye! Very solid album too, but wouldn't make my all-time top 10.

They're hard to pinpoint in terms of genre, but I can't really say they have post-metal elements just here and there. Our Fortress Is Burning (the whole suite), as well as most of The Mantle, is post-metal. The perception has changed since the Neurosis and Isis breakthrough days.

I don't really know many post-metal bands and those I know (Isis for example) is nothing like Agalloch. Can you recommend me some post-metal similar to The Mantle?

Yeah, that's what I mean with change of perception. Isis and stuff like that was just the first scene to be tagged post-metal - post rock + heavy metal (any subgenre) - and has a relatively long tradition. The Mantle has plenty of post-rock, but also black metal. I pretty quickly started viewing In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion as post-metal because of the texturous and crescendous nature of it, and it also shares a theme with the opening track.

I don't know about the recommendation thing because The Mantle is a pretty unique album... but I could always give you Ecailles de Lune by Alcest to show you where the whole post-metal/metalgaze thing has been evolving.

The Mantle is way closer to ABM than post-metal, really

Definitely more straightforward black metal in there as well (You Were But a Ghost in My Arms), but not the whole truth really.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2016, 04:36:21 AM »
Tremendous album right there. It's true that Mastodon aren't the best live band vocally, but the vocals always sound good on the album. Brent's voice is awesome.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2016, 05:13:03 AM »
Tremendous album right there. It's true that Mastodon aren't the best live band vocally, but the vocals always sound good on the album. Brent's voice is awesome.
I saw them last year and Troy and Brann were awesome. Brent not so much but I'm used to his dying cat vocals :P

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »
This is an album I plan on getting into at some point. I always liked Mastodon songs, just not enough to actually listen to their albums.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2016, 02:09:48 AM »
Easily my favourite Mastodon album, I think if I ever get around to doing a top 50 albums list it might squeeze it's way in there.

:metal

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #1: We'll meet again my friend, someday soon.
« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »
(Finally) we're at the end of my list :) I want to thank you for following this thread, commenting and occasionally recommending me new music. I had fun making this list but it was lot harder than I thought, I had to resist changing spots in last moments and so on :D So let's finish this with my #1.

#1: Dream Theater - Metropolis part 2: Scenes from a Memory(1999)

Progressive metal

This probably was obvious for some of you (or not :P ), I ranked this album highly since I heard it for the first time. Let's start with some history. Pull me under was the first DT song I heard but immediately after that I started looking for other music because I knew DT will become my favorite band. I googled to find out what their best album was and many pages recommended this one album. I was music noob at the time and I wasn't really listening to albums but to songs (I had playlist with my favorites) but I heard Scenes were concept album meant to be listened from start to finish. So this album changed my way of listening to music. It was different than any music I listened to but still I couldn't stop listening to this album. I have no idea how many times a day I listened to it but I know it was more than a few :lol If I remember correctly my early favorite songs were Home and Finally Free and I'm surprised at that since only long song I could listen before DT probably was Child in Time by Deep Purple. But, it was early sign I'll become fan of progressive music :D I have to say I never cared for story and it never bothered me even though it is cheesy at times (you know concept, right). Right now, Overture 1928 + Strange Deja Vu combo is one of my favorite songs and I'm so glad DT played both when I saw them. The biggest highlight of the evening for me and one of the best 9 minutes of my life (you must think my life is pretty bad then :P ). Melodies in both of those songs (and there are many more on this album) are something, I think, they never topped. Also, if I had to choose my favorite Portnoy's albums it would be SFAM. His playing on this one is not over the top but there are still many air drums moments, subtle at in one moment but very present in other. There are not many albums on which I don't consider drums to be just part of the rhythm. Strange thing on this album, for me, are backing vocals. They are sometimes too high but I grew to like them.
I think this is enough writing, we all know this album really well and I said all I wanted :lol
Favorite songs: Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, Finally Free

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »
SFAM is great, made my Top 20 or something.

Mastodon, well, I've got Oblivion in my first roulette, and I remember I didn't like it too much. Recommend me one other track and I'll check it out.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #1: We'll meet again my friend, someday soon.
« Reply #295 on: March 20, 2016, 01:17:54 PM »
never heard of it

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2016, 01:18:57 PM »
I've been liking SFAM less and less with time honestly. I used to love the entire thing, but nowadays I only listen to Home, Through Her Eyes and Finally Free. Might have to give the entire album a spin soon.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #297 on: March 20, 2016, 01:21:12 PM »

Mastodon, well, I've got Oblivion in my first roulette, and I remember I didn't like it too much. Recommend me one other track and I'll check it out.
I almost sent you The Czar in last round of roulette but I think my actual submission is safer :P I didn't like Oblivion at first but it's one of my favorites now. Check The Czar though.

never heard of it
Don't check it, it's not so good.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #298 on: March 20, 2016, 01:28:48 PM »

The Czar and The Last Baron are both pretty similarly structured and both amazing songs, I bet the vocals are the main repelling factor for you though, if not, they're pretty safe bets.

SFAM of course is amazing. I tend to agree with jake partially though, it's slowly moving out of my top 3 now. SFAM at nom 1 is totally fair though, great list man, enjoyed following.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #299 on: March 21, 2016, 05:38:02 AM »
That one is good.

It was great following the list, man, excellent job all around.  :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #300 on: March 21, 2016, 05:39:36 AM »
Excellent choice for number one. It's the album that brought Dream Theater back to life.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #301 on: March 21, 2016, 08:48:19 AM »
Thank You :tup

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #302 on: March 21, 2016, 11:22:38 AM »
This album's ok I guess