Author Topic: New Tour announced! And...  (Read 31134 times)

Offline emtee

Re: New Tour announced! And...
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2015, 06:04:08 AM »
I ASSume they will play some older material at the end of the 2nd set but no clue how much. Sure would seem a logical guess that
it's a full on double album.

I'd say first set for the new album, second set for older material. Given the length of a DT show, that would probably work out quite nicely.

Probably right.

Offline tnphelps

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2015, 06:08:11 AM »
Great. Another European tour. While us Floridians, in the 3rd most populous state, have been waiting since 2011 for just 1 show.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2015, 06:12:52 AM »
very intimate concert as Carre at Amsterdam has a total of 1756 seats.
In for the ticketsale this friday the 6th.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2015, 06:32:19 AM »
Something tells me that tickets on sale at 9.00 am, sold out by 9.01 am...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2015, 06:37:07 AM »
Great. Another European tour. While us Floridians, in the 3rd most populous state, have been waiting since 2011 for just 1 show.
Indeed.  I'm lucky that I live 2-3 hours from L.A. so they always come here but it would be nice if they started in their home country.

Although to be honest it's the new music I'm more interested in.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2015, 06:41:56 AM »
I live 2-3 hours from L.A. 

Huh, with your username, I assumed you were from NE. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2015, 06:42:33 AM »
Having already bought tickets to see Avantasia in London in March and now this pops up :O , I am so torn right now....Can't afford to do both but REALLY can't miss this opportunity...WHYYYYY

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2015, 06:44:45 AM »

Nah, wide variety of favorite teams, just love Bill.  Of course if I were from NE I could have gone to the BtFW show in Boston.  I know it's a weird username for a music board but I just use the same one everywhere to make it easy to remember.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2015, 06:46:41 AM »
May sound petty but I hate it when American bands have they're first tour in Europe.   :-\

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2015, 06:47:31 AM »

Nah, wide variety of favorite teams, just love Bill.  Of course if I were from NE I could have gone to the BtFW show in Boston.  I know it's a weird username for a music board but I just use the same one everywhere to make it easy to remember.

The show was awesome. So is Bill!! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2015, 06:52:17 AM »
Not sure how I feel about an entire album with an orchestra. I can just think of shit like Evanessence or that kind of European metal with strings on every song.

Why are you calling music that many on this forum like, shit?

My only problem with Orchestra is that they've been there done that.  If it works, great I wont complain at all, and with a concept album, it may even make more sense to have some orchestration.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2015, 06:56:52 AM »
May sound petty but I hate it when American bands have they're first tour in Europe.   :-\
I'm with you especially as these seem to be small venues.  If they were huge and American audiences couldn't fill them up that would be different.  New Yorkers starting the tour in Europe  :facepalm:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2015, 07:02:07 AM »
That's even more solid evidence that this is some kind of concept album.

Would it possibly count as evidence against a double album? I can't imagine playing a double album live at every show, at the expense of much else. I know they played SFAM live as a whole, but that was a single album.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.  Double-album, played live in it's entirety at every show of that tour.  94 minutes and change.   (SFAM is something like 77 or 78 minutes).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2015, 07:04:17 AM »

Would it possibly count as evidence against a double album? I can't imagine playing a double album live at every show, at the expense of much else. I know they played SFAM live as a whole, but that was a single album.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.  Double-album, played live in it's entirety at every show of that tour.  94 minutes and change.   (SFAM is something like 77 or 78 minutes).

Never heard of it, but I'm talking specifically about in DT's case, not what another band has done.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2015, 08:00:11 AM »
2-Disc concept album. I'm calling it.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2015, 08:00:52 AM »

That's already been called by nearly everyone else.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2015, 08:01:19 AM »
Id be shocked if that wasnt the case

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2015, 08:02:41 AM »
This is a new Dream Theater album. I'm calling it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2015, 08:12:30 AM »
Ballsy to go out and play a new album in it's entirety, first time since 6 Degrees I think? must be very confident of the material!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2015, 08:21:56 AM »
Ballsy to go out and play a new album in it's entirety, first time since 6 Degrees I think? must be very confident of the material!

Well, Six Degrees was only the title track of that album... but I see what you mean. Anyway, on selected occasions they played also Train of Thought (first date ever of the tour in Manchester I believe) and Octavarium in their entirety from start to finish. But surely it wasn't something done each and every night.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Hairy Man

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »
Yeah I was at the Manchester gig, ToT start to finish 1st half of show then older tunes 2nd half. Just assumed at the time though this would be the standard show for the tour?

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2015, 08:41:30 AM »
DT doing a Rock Opera...

Watch out, Ayreon!  ;)
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2015, 08:49:16 AM »
DT doing a Rock Opera...

Watch out, Ayreon!  ;)

Or Pink Floyd, or The Who, or Spock's Beard, or IQ, or Dream Theater.

Re. the structure of the show: If the album's a big one, like 2 hours, then that will probably take up two sets, then a few older songs as a third set, or just as encores.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
Yeah I was at the Manchester gig, ToT start to finish 1st half of show then older tunes 2nd half. Just assumed at the time though this would be the standard show for the tour?

Probably it was MP's way to test out the new songs live and deciding which songs keep as regular in the set and which ones play on rare occasions.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
Glad we finally have some news, altho it'll be even better when we get some real info about the album! Nonetheless, I'm very curious to see how this all develops. The impression I get is that the full show will be the new material, with an encore that has some older material - just a gut instinct tho.

Floyd's The Wall was performed in it's entirety as well, and as is evident by the live version of the album (Is There Anybody Out There), was stretched out about 20 minutes more than the original 81 minute album.

And not that it really counts since it was 2 albums, but Queensryche did the 2006 tour where they did Operation: Mindcrime for the first set, O:M II for the second set (continuing the same story) and did an encore of older stuff.

Not really. For World Tourbulence, they performed the title track for the second set of most Evening With shows, but not every other song from the album was also performed each night. The last tour where they regularly performed their current album in full was the Metropolis 2000 tour, altho there were some occasions where they did perform all the songs from Train of Thought at one show (only the first was in sequential order) and a handful of times they did all of Octavarium as a second set.

That's already been called by nearly everyone else.
Yeah, but Chino didn't call it! That's the difference!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »

Yea, I was thinking the same thing.  Could it be they are more popular overseas and also the money must be fairly good.  Or it could be the presitge of playing these older venues with the new material.

Anyhow, hoping that they start the US tour with the places that missed out on the last tour such as the entire southeast and Texas and I believe parts of the midwest.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »
https://www.cirkus.se/evenemang/visa/dream-theater#fndtn-event

"In the end of January, the american prog metal band Dream Theater will release their new album "The Astonishing". This will be an extraordinary experience in an intimate setting, with visuals".

Length: 2hours 40 minutes with pause.

Woah! A lot going on in the DT world today! I'm getting really excited for whatever epic thing they have planned out

Also commenting on the tour days, that two day-gap between Oslo and Stockholm would be perfect for a visit to Finland. Please?  :angel:
Seasons change and so can I

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2015, 12:29:12 PM »

"In the end of January, the american prog metal band Dream Theater will release their new album "The Astonishing". This will be an extraordinary experience in an intimate setting, with visuals".

Woah! A lot going on in the DT world today! I'm getting really excited for whatever epic thing they have planned out

Also commenting on the tour days, that two day-gap between Oslo and Stockholm would be perfect for a visit to Finland. Please?  :angel:

Are you from Finland!!? Another Finnish DT fan, welcome! :) :tup
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline V_R11

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »

Are you from Finland!!? Another Finnish DT fan, welcome! :) :tup

Yeah I'm Finnish  :D Great to see a fellow Finn who appreciates this awesome band  :tup
Seasons change and so can I

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2015, 12:52:51 PM »
V_R11

There are few of us, ?, Roba and me are the most active ones :D

Let's do a DTF meeting in the next DT concert! Me and ? have been already in a few concerts together!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2015, 01:05:39 PM »
Europe is getting too much love recently :(
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »
I'd like to attend the Stockholm show, although this is sooner than I expected them to come here, so we'll see.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2015, 01:17:07 PM »
Hmmm a Rock Opera? 2 hours and 40 minutes....  so we may have a double dics album with each album being 80 minutes? 

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
Hmmm a Rock Opera? 2 hours and 40 minutes....  so we may have a double dics album with each album being 80 minutes?

That's the set length. So including a couple of extra songs, and the encore. I'm guessing more like 2 hours of new music. Maybe 2:15
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
Indeed, that's the length of the Evening With shows, 3 hours with a 15 minutes intermission.