Author Topic: Dream Theater at the legendary Carré Theater in Amsterdam (Holland)  (Read 21020 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Dream Theater at the legendary Carré Theater in Amsterdam (Holland)
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2016, 12:05:53 PM »
I usually look up 'Dream Theater' or 'Dream Theater Carre' in this case and put the 'uploaded today (or last week)' setting in the youtube specifications.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Thierry

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »
Posted a 24/96 version of Night 1 on dime now.

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2016, 01:23:35 AM »
Where are clips of Three Days..Lord Nafaryus...A New Beginning....Ravenskill ..come on ppl ..no seriously all the clips im interested in no one has posted  :sad:

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2016, 01:34:21 AM »
So glad I decided to buy a ticket! This was, and is, EASILY the best concert experience I've had in my entire life!
What a fantastic venue. I had a perfect place/seat, first loge, right dead centre of the stage. Sound was perfect to my ears. The lighting.....fantastic. Imagery, although somewhat repetetive really enhances the experience. The band is as good, if better then I've ever saw them. Labrie was on top form, better then I've ever seen him. Mangini...amazing, Petrucci...just wow. Myung steady as a rock and got more movement walking off and on the stage as I've ever saw him have! (same goes for the entire band) Rudess was just perfect, everything on point. Only glitch was when front part of the drumriser fell over and two stagehands rushed on to rectify that...but that was the ONLY flaw I noticed....what an Astonishingly AWESOME experience! Kudos to the band for having the balls to try something like this. Steel on a cloud and no NoMacs in sight!!

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Enalya

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2016, 03:09:42 AM »
Where are clips of Three Days..Lord Nafaryus...A New Beginning....Ravenskill ..come on ppl ..no seriously all the clips im interested in no one has posted  :sad:

It was strictly forbidden (by the band) to film/record/photograph anything and you could be placed outside for it. No wonder not many took that risk ; )

Aside from that: I enjoyed the show a lot, the sound was so beautifully balanced (too loud but I had earplugs). Last night James was spot on and his timing should get some credit. Yea, it wás Astonishing ^^

Offline Billzo

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2016, 03:14:58 AM »
It was strictly forbidden (by the band) to film/record/photograph anything and you could be placed outside for it. No wonder not many took that risk ; )

It's strict venue policy, not the bands. Standard in theatres like these being played in on this tour.

Unless of course JLB gave a warning himself before the show started ;)

IIRC it wasn't printed in the handouts either.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2016, 03:22:50 AM »

It's strict venue policy, not the bands. Standard in theatres like these being played in on this tour.

Well, the security guys told us 'the band has forbidden it'. It would be rude if they just said that to get the blame off of their shoulders xD
And it wouldn't surprise me, I actually agree - everyone would be sitting with phones high up...

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2016, 03:24:24 AM »

I always think filming takes a way from the experience, I'd rather focus on the performance instead of my phone and enjoy the moment.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Billzo

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2016, 03:25:44 AM »
Well, the security guys told us 'the band has forbidden it'. It would be rude if they just said that to get the blame off of their shoulders xD
And it wouldn't surprise me, I actually agree - everyone would be sitting with phones high up...

Realistically that's exactly why they said it. The venue staff were getting so much crap for it in London. Makes it a lot easier for them to just use the band as an excuse.

I've seen DT 15+ times and this is the first time i've ever seen people being stopped whilst taking pictures at a gig. Nature of the venues.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer it this way. I hate seeing people living their lives by looking through a phone.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2016, 03:39:36 AM »
I would be lying if I said I never took a quick ten seconds to record something I want to look back to someday or show to other people, but at a Dream Theater concert, no way man. Apart from wanting to have the full concert experience and not focus on my phone, I don't think a lot of my friends would care for a video of a Dream Theater concert  :loser:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2016, 03:50:40 AM »
LOL, I just took a few shots of the beautiful venue, with my crappy old Nokia (with CRAP quality, I must add) and mere two seconds later a security guy appeared next to me  asking us not to take pictures or film stuff, out of respect for him, the theatre AND the band.  :biggrin: I switched if off right away, but I couldn't have come home with absolutely nothing, could I? Turned out crap anyway. But when do I get the chance to be in such a historic venue?  :omg:

I felt a bit sorry towards the end of the show when the band clearly wanted the seated audience to get into it more. (although they were getting raucous roars after almost each song). They ended up getting a standing ovation during and after Our New World AND afer the closing number. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2016, 04:15:40 AM »
I felt a bit sorry towards the end of the show when the band clearly wanted the seated audience to get into it more. (although they were getting raucous roars after almost each song). They ended up getting a standing ovation during and after Our New World AND afer the closing number.

Similar experience at the Palladium on the 18th. Everyone was seated the whole way through until a few brave souls got up for Our New World, and by the end of that song, everyone was up and stayed up for the final song. I thought that was pretty cool.

I was wondering beforehand whether people would stand or sit, but I was fine with the way it turned out. I honestly don't think the band really minded too much that people were sitting, although I'm sure it was nice to get that response towards the end.

The venue staff were very strict with people taking even brief photos, but I didn't see anyone actually get removed.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2016, 06:32:34 AM »
I know the band probably don't want to talk to the audience too much during the show because that might take people out of the story, but I wouldn't be opposed to James saying at certain points, "Let's all stand up!" or something. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Billzo

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2016, 06:37:21 AM »
I know the band probably don't want to talk to the audience too much during the show because that might take people out of the story, but I wouldn't be opposed to James saying at certain points, "Let's all stand up!" or something. :lol

In London he did say various things:

"How we doing London?!!?!"
"Come on" (Before Hymn second half and "People can you hear us?").
"Sing Along"
etc.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2016, 07:08:31 AM »
Yeah, 'are you with us?' or 'are you ready?' but not that much, which is logical to me.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2016, 07:17:39 AM »
Realistically that's exactly why they said it. The venue staff were getting so much crap for it in London. Makes it a lot easier for them to just use the band as an excuse.
I've seen DT 15+ times and this is the first time i've ever seen people being stopped whilst taking pictures at a gig. Nature of the venues.
Don't get me wrong, I prefer it this way. I hate seeing people living their lives by looking through a phone.

I see, wow, I just didn't expect that of a venue. Well, no problem! I also only took a pic of the beautiful venue and looking forward to a DVD which will be much better than my crappy phone recs anyway ^^

@Cyclopsss yea the standing ovation was great!

Offline Billzo

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2016, 07:19:58 AM »
I see, wow, I just didn't expect that of a venue. Well, no problem! I also only took a pic of the beautiful venue and looking forward to a DVD which will be much better than my crappy phone recs anyway ^^

Yeah that's my point.. I don't understand why people think their phone videos are going to be as good as a professional shoot lol.

People are saying that DT hinted there was no plans for a DVD for this... but if that's true.. I think they will be missing a HUGE trick and doing this album a MAJOR injustice. It is screaming for a DVD with Orch and Chior and maybe even some LSFNY style acting :p

Offline Enalya

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2016, 07:23:05 AM »
Yeah that's my point.. I don't understand why people think their phone videos are going to be as good as a professional shoot lol.

People are saying that DT hinted there was no plans for a DVD for this... but if that's true.. I think they will be missing a HUGE trick and doing this album a MAJOR injustice. It is screaming for a DVD with Orch and Chior and maybe even some LSFNY style acting :p

No plans!? bullsh*t alert, the 'boys' teasing us like that. Tss.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »

"Sing Along"
etc.

That's your standard JLB stage banter throughout the night.   :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:21:37 AM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Enalya

« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2016, 09:09:02 AM »

"Sing Along"
etc.

That's your standard JLB stage banter throughout the nighst.   :D

When I think of that I always hear in my head 'WELCOME TO RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL IN NEW YORK CITEEEH'  in that high pitched tone xD
Started up the Score DVD too much.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2016, 09:23:17 AM »

"Sing Along"
etc.

That's your standard JLB stage banter throughout the nighst.   :D

When I think of that I always hear in my head 'WELCOME TO RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL IN NEW YORK CITEEEH'  in that high pitched tone xD
Started up the Score DVD too much.

Yeah, I always hear that on my head as well.  :lol

When I see DT live, I also always expect a 'COME AAAWNNNNNN! or SING IT!!!' in his high-pitched voice so I can just feel it's JLB being JLB, a stage-awkward but effective frontman.  :D
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Enalya

« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »
Yeah, I always hear that on my head as well.  :lol

When I see DT live, I also always expect a 'COME AAAWNNNNNN! or SING IT!!!' in his high-pitched voice so I can just feel it's JLB being JLB, a stage-awkward but effective frontman.  :D

Hahah yes exactly, I just love that

Offline genome

« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2016, 09:47:05 AM »
I missed the JLBisms to be honest.

"We're pulling out some pretty obscure sowngs"
"This sowng is from Systematic Chaos, here we geyoooooohhhh"

Or when I saw them at Wembley, "This song is called ON THE BACKS!!! Of Ayyyngelssss."

Offline home

« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
Or I KNOW YOU KNOW THE WOOORRDS!

Offline barho

« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2016, 10:16:51 AM »
Can anyone tell me what time the gates open tonight? Couldn't find the info on the theater's website

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2016, 10:20:56 AM »
I wouldn't expect that information to be on the band's website, since that sort of thing is totally up to the venue.  But I would guess an hour before show time. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2016, 10:21:34 AM »
Welcome, to the AAAYYYSTOONIISHIIIIING!
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline barho

« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »
I wouldn't expect that information to be on the band's website, since that sort of thing is totally up to the venue.  But I would guess an hour before show time.

Should've clarified that I meant the venue's website when I said "the theater's website"   :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2016, 10:34:41 AM »
Ah, I see.  Sorry, I mis-read your post.  Hopefully, someone who went to the last show can clarify.  But if not, again, 1 hour prior is a good rule of thumb. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline barho

« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2016, 10:41:34 AM »
Thank you, and thanks for the dude who welcomed me earlier  :smiley:
Maybe I can go see for myself, since my hotel is literally next door to the venue   ;D

Offline home

« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2016, 10:42:56 AM »
On monday you could enter the hall an half hour in advance but the building sometime earlier, they have a bar inside where you can buy drinks when waiting for the hall to open.

Offline barho

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2016, 10:44:41 AM »
On monday you could enter the hall an half hour in advance but the building sometime earlier, they have a bar inside where you can buy drinks when waiting for the hall to open.

Thank you  :tup

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2016, 10:55:45 AM »
Maybe I can go see for myself, since my hotel is literally next door to the venue   ;D

That's so cool! It might be easier for you to run into any of the band at some point.

Offline CB

« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2016, 01:31:49 PM »
Hi, new member here.

I was at the show at the Carre Theater on monday and just wanted to share some thoughts. I'm from Germany, I apologize for any weird English :D

The music sounded MUCH more rock/metal than on the CD. Very fitting for the live show imo. The audience could have been more engaged but it's probably because of the venue that most people reacted like an opera audience rather than a crowd watching a rock concert. It was funny to see that almost nobody dared to stand up during the "encore", but then after the last note the audience jumped up at once for a well deserved standing ovation :D

The visuals worked much better than I expected, they created a great "moving" effect (at some parts MM seemed to fly across the stage on his drumset) and there were some stunning moments on the screens. The Lightshow was very impressive too. Visually the best DT show for me so far.

I was sitting in the balcony in the middle with professional ear protection, therefore I had not problems with the sound. It was well balanced and clear, I could hear every member of the band. Without the ear protection though - I tried it - everything was much too loud and sounded less good. I'll never understand why concerts have to be so loud that the quality suffers from it and the audience risks damaging their ears!

The band played extremely well. Mike especially was a joy to hear and to watch, he was totally into it, looked like he had a lot of fun, big smile on his face.

I'm surprised by the criticism of James performance here. After the show I heard people comment that his voice had been "very, very good", "better than ever", that he sang flawless etc. I think he was great that evening, I never heard his voice so powerful. The YouTube clips don't do him justice. If he made a few mistakes they were so small that I forgot them instantly.  The interpretation of the different characters was fantastic, I didn't expect that he would be able to do that live in such a stellar way. I think he lowered some (very few) notes, to protect his voice I guess, but it sounded intentional to me and not off key and he also belted out enough high notes. I remember a few "screamy" parts as well, but that might have been interpretation of the roles, it was fitting the scenens ("Do as my father says" was one of them).

BTW, he's "James LaBriest" in the tour program :rollin

The lack of a real encore didn't bother me. The show was very fulfilling and I can't think of a song that would have sounded right after the end of TA. It was such a monumental experience.

I'm glad I made the trip to Amsterdam, despite the bad weather. The only thing I regret is that I didn't run into any band members, my hotel was just 5 seconds away from Carre.

I hope I'll be able to watch the show again (Hannover) and I think it totally deserves to be captured on DVD.