Poll

Avatar is #1 of all time in both the domestic and global box office. Will Star Wars VII top that?

Yes
61 (81.3%)
No
11 (14.7%)
Only domestically
3 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Will the new Star Wars movie top Avatar at the box office?  (Read 53474 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Will the new Star Wars movie top Avatar at the box office?
« Reply #630 on: July 22, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »
What makes a movie good or bad is indeed subjective, to clarify my point a bit, whether you like or dislike these movies, I find it kind of a bummer that the top battle is between a re-telling of Pocahontas in CGI and the 49th movie in the MCU which in the long run will be yet another Marvel movie in a long line of good Marvel movies. I thought Avatar was okay, I thought Endgame was pretty good but ultimately neither are really super interesting on their own.

But hey they've both made a crap load of money so. :P

Y'know, there's a great YouTube clip addressing this complaint and I strongly urge you to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPtZHIQJpxI

There are only a relatively small number of superhero flicks coming out in any year, even nowadays. It is on the consumer to seek out films they want to see, that appeal to them, if the flavor of the generation isn't your cup of tea. It's just like someone who watches the Grammys or the top 40 charts and complains about all the top artists being rap/pop/nothing super deep or complex or sophisticated. You have to seek out what you like, but I don't see the point of complaining about what tops the box office. Those blockbusters help fund all the other movies a studio finances that won't get that level of commercial success. Those blockbusters are also what the majority of people happen to find entertaining. What's the problem? Plenty of original movies are still getting success and recognition. It's just that comic book films finally have the means to come to life and the audiences to justify continue making them.

Literally the video points out that 5% of movies that you could've theoretically watched in 2018 were superhero films. Only 5%.

That wasn't really my complaint as I agree with the statement of the video and I'm one of the people who've seen pretty much all superhero movies in the cinema since the craze started (I think Dark Phoenix is the only one I've skipped in the cinema in the last 10 years or so). So yeah I don't think there's too many superhero movies or that they ruin the cinema for other movies. I'm getting slightly sour on Disney but that's more on them and certain choices/movies they've put out (and I don't like the idea of them owning every property but thats a different story) but I'll still go watch these movies, it's solid popcorn entertainment. :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Will the new Star Wars movie top Avatar at the box office?
« Reply #631 on: July 22, 2019, 11:34:24 AM »
Oh, my bad then. I misinterpreted your post  :lol

I'm kind of with you, though - I don't like how Disney owns everything. On the other hand, Disney+ will basically be the only streaming source I need once it comes out... dilemma!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"