Author Topic: First DT song you fell in love with?  (Read 5083 times)

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
Re: First DT song you fell in love with?
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »
Mine was Stream of Consciousness. The main riff, the incredible solos and the instrumentation are incredible!

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline mrrct

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 03:25:57 PM »
Pull Me Under, in the spring of 1993.  I bought the CD the same day I first heard the song, and I bought the VHS of Live in Tokyo only a few months later.

Offline progrockman

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »

Offline CoT67

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2015, 12:06:56 PM »
The Count of Tuscany... the funny thing is, before listening to it I had seen almost all of the SFNY DVD but I couldn't bring myself to like them (I was young and naive back then).

I then went on to discover A Change of Seasons, I&W (starting out with Pull Me Under, Another Day and Metropolis Part 1).

Lastly, I went back to SFAM/SFNY and I nearly exploded from the amount of awesomeness... and shame at not acknowledging it earlier.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2015, 05:45:24 AM »
My first album was WDADU in 1989... For a few months I did not like it, then it became impossible not to listen to it everyday!
My favorite at the time was Ytse Jam.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2015, 06:23:24 AM »
Imma gonna cheat..... (2 songs)

Mirror/Lie  :metal :metal :metal

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2015, 07:18:47 AM »
Bombay Vindaloo........ blurry memories... long time ago!!!.. Live at the marquee was the first CD I heard from DT

about a couple of month later, my brother got a copy of Images and words  and I got hooked with Take the time.

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2015, 07:42:52 AM »
ACOS, in 2007.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »
ACOS, 2006  :heart

Offline wantija

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
First heard of Pull Me Under, checked out Under a Glass Moon and the intro got me hooked.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »
Dance of Eternity.  A friend showed me the concert DVD and I was blown away by there skill.  I bought the album and always got excited when DoE came on.  I loved the whole album. 

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »
I first heard awake. 6.00 knocked me hard with the proggy intro but then came innocence faded with James beautiful soaring combined with a magical melody  :hefdaddy

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2015, 09:07:56 PM »
New member, by the way.

The Dream Theater hipsters may not be pleased, but the first song I fell in love with would have to be "Pull Me Under."

In retrospect, it drags on way too long, but the vocal hooks and melody more than make up for that.
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »
Nothing wrong with liking Pull Me Under, I think many of us were partly exposed to DT from this song alone. ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2015, 11:04:18 PM »
No problem with PMU at all! :tup Welcome to the forum.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2015, 11:36:07 PM »
No problem with PMU at all! :tup Welcome to the forum.

Thank you  ;D
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline ThisIsTheLife

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2015, 09:30:58 AM »
Beneath the Surface. This incredible voice touched me in so many ways that I was totally choked up from the beginning.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2015, 01:29:54 PM »
The first for me was Surrounded. Beautiful melody, great lyrics. It was the first song that I actually felt a high listening to. That sort of giddy "Hell's yeah!" sorta feeling.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Enalya

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2015, 03:06:10 PM »
A Nightmare to Remember (first DT song I heard)
and then the total of Score xD

Offline jsbru

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2015, 03:25:29 PM »
I had previously heard PMU on the radio and liked it, but what really got me hooked was seeing the Lie music video on The Box (public TV alternative for people whose parents were too poor/didn't care for cable).  The next time it came on, I busted out my music video VHS and recorded it.

The Box got me into a lot of music.  Marilyn Manson, Primus, nine inch nails, etc.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2015, 05:11:05 PM »
Back when I was taking guitar lessons (somewhere between 2005-2007), my teacher, which was a fan of prog band like DT and Tool, taught me Peruvian Skies and the easier parts of Pull me Under. At the time I thought they were cool songs. but nothing more (I was into pop punk at the timeback then)

Then fast forward to 2009, the music I'm listening to doesn't satisfy me anymore. So while I was looking through my old guitar lessons, I found the Pull Me Under and Peruvian Skies tabs my teacher had given to me. I played them on my guitar and thought it sounded cool. I then bought the greatest hits since it has both songs. Between Pull Me Under, Peruvian Skies, Home, The Root of All Evil, Sacrificed Sons and Lifting Shadows I found a band that was pretty much what I was looking for musically.

However, a few weeks later, Black Clouds & Silver Linings was released and this
A Nightmare to Remember
happened.  :omg:

They've been my favorite band since then  :metal

Offline Cable

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
New Millennium.
---

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2015, 06:49:29 PM »
Another Day - 1999 - dat solo
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:17:57 PM by CharlesPL »

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2015, 09:51:47 AM »
Overture 1928, 15 years ago, mind blown !
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:30:28 AM by PintoZ »

Offline docsp76

« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »
Pull Me Under in 92 was awesome but it was Lie in 94 that blew me away. Then when A Change of Seasons came out the following year I knew they'd be my favorite band the rest of my life.

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »
1996.  I was in a CD store (they had those back in the day) and stumbled across a used version of A Change of Seasons.  Now, I already owned Images and Words and liked it but not enough that I had strong feelings about DTheater.  And frankly, the cover versions on the album most interested me. 

But I vividly recall the first time I played the 25-minute ACoS...it was clear I was going to like this song!  I played the hell out of that song for the next 6 months or so.  I also revisited I&W and realized I hadn't given that disc the appreciation it deserved.  Soon I bought Awake and also Falling Into Infinit....and pretty much everything since. 

But ACoS was definitely the song that turned me on DT and to this day it is still my favorite piece by the band.

Offline FLEEBS

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2015, 11:11:16 AM »
I first fell in love with Pull Me Under when I heard it on the radio back in 1992. I specifically remember thinking it sounded familiar, but I didn't know why. I still don't know why, but I still love that song.

Anyway, I bought Images and Words as soon as I was able at a local music store. I love every song on that album. I didn't care for Take the Time at first, but that song eventually grew on me. I've spun that cd so many times over the years, and I'll hear it many more times before I die.
Eat your beets. RECYCLE!!!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2015, 08:36:43 PM »
Went to see Qryche in Balto in 2003.  Arrived during their set, not knowing that DT was the headliner that night.

Bought Six Degrees the next day.

So, I get to cheat.  Loved 'Misunderstood' but hated the final 90 seconds.

So, I guess I get to say that 'Six Degrees' was the first song I fell in love with....especially 'Overture/About To Crash' and from 'Goodnight Kiss' onward.

Who in the hell made music that good back then?  Or now?

Guess that's why I love 'Octavarium' and most of ADToEvents. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2015, 09:25:15 PM »
A muso mate of mine lent me I&W in late '94 or early '95, and I enjoyed it, but it was 'Surrounded' that really dragged me in. Once Awake was released and I heard that opening of 6:00, I was hooked..

Offline LordCost

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »
A Nightmare To Remember and Misunderstood were the first DT songs I discovered and loved, I think at the end of 2009. I remember I started listening to BC&SL after reading an interview with the Avenged Sevenfold singer who said that BC&SL was his favourite album of the year, and then I discovered the rest of the discography over the years really slowly. Only one year ago I fully appreciated Six Degrees, I listened for years only to Misunderstood ;D

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2015, 08:01:46 PM »
Under A Glass Moon!
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2015, 09:54:34 PM »
The first Dream Theater song I ever listened to was Octavarium. Now, that was waaay too deep for my mind to grasp at the time (both musically and lyrically) so I really didn’t understand it. A few months later I found another song by them and instantly fell in love with it – that would be Metropolis Pt. 1. So that was the first one I really could grasp, but now I love all of their songs!  :metal
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2015, 02:50:32 AM »
I found about them around 2007-2008, someone showed me Hollow Years(budokan), instant boner. Then i found Tokyo G3 and few hours later, that was it  ;D
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »
In The Name of God
I had listened to a bunch of their songs by that time but this one stood out. It's lenght is exactly the time I need to walk from home to school and damn did this song make the walk better. Also I discovered them only last year (am 19 now) but I quickly got into them and I am a fan now.

Hope for a concert in BG this tour
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."