Author Topic: DT songs that actually made you cry  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
DT songs that actually made you cry
« on: December 05, 2015, 12:27:45 PM »
This is not a thread where you should write about emotional songs. The title is not a metaphor - list ONLY the songs that really made you cry and not the songs that just made your eyes a bit wet. And I will keep editing this thread and listing those songs in the future.
For me, no songs made me cry to this day (Blind Faith was close though).

LIST OF DT SONGS THAT ACTUALLY MADE SOMEONE CRY:
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: DT songs that actually made you cry
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »
Eve
The Spirit Carries On
Beneath the Surface
Far From Heaven

The last two hit really close to home so I find them hard to listen to sometimes.

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Great question! There is one song that has made me cry . . . SDOIT.

Like I said on another thread I have suffered from a few of the conditions mentioned in that song, and it just moved me so much, by the time Solitary Shell came on I couldn't help it, and then again when Grand Finale came on. Not necessarily of sadness, but a feeling like someone finally understood my struggles. I must sound like a real wuss right now, but you asked :lol. This was on my first listen - I haven't been that emotional again but the song still moves me on each listen.

"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 12:54:56 PM »
Finally Free. I actually saw a meme which went like "Admit it proggers, the "One last time" section of FF made you cry", so it's gotta be widespread.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 02:16:35 PM »
Disappear. Not really crying, but very close to that.

It was the perfect setting. Rainy day, sour mood, on a long bus drive, staring into a grey landscape. And then this song come in the playlist. JBL just sounds so good in that "here beside me" line, and the lyrics are so powerful, it was all that I could take :(
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:32:49 PM by RaasMah »

Offline Agalsed

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
Oh, geez. These songs don't make me cry consistently, but there are actually several that have done the job at various times. They are:

Finally free
The spirit carries on (Live from score)
Space Dye Vest
Disappear
SDOIT
ITNOG
Vacant
Scarred

I think that's it. I'm sure others have probably done it, too, but I cannot think of them at the moment.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 03:34:06 PM »
First there's the "songs that got you into DT" thread & now this. The duplicates are taking over!  :eek
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline thosava

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »
I cried multiple times during SDOIT the last time i listened to it, after forgetting about it for almost a year. Octavarium always makes me cry both in the beginning, and at the start of Razors Edge.
Finally free makes me cry during the one last time part. Especially when i saw it live last year!

Offline MegaDTSX

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »
Its not Dream Theater, and I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I wanted to man up to this:

Circus Maximus:  Last Goodbye

I had to put my dog to sleep after 13 years of him being my best friend and the one constant in my life throughout a rough family divorce among other things during his lifetime and I bottled it all up for a long time.  That song, especially the ending, really had me sobbing pretty hard remembering him when I listened to it the first time.

:'(

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 04:15:02 PM »
I'm sure some will laugh, but... The Count of Tuscany. That end part is just too beautiful. I get shivers just thinking of it. I know the lyrics are just saying "hey man, I'm not actually going to kill you lol wtf" but it really gets me. I guess it's a general feeling of letting go of anxiety and fears? Maybe that's just overanalyzing it.

And I cried when I saw the mid-song piano interlude in Blind Faith. That's just gorgeous (and one of my favourite songs).

The Spirit Carries On gets me too sometimes.

EDIT: It's not a song per se and it ties into my first option, but... I cried seeing Mangini's reaction to getting the job in the band. Yeah. I was just so happy for the guy!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 04:35:47 PM »
It's a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure they were these tracks:

Learning to Live
Scarred
Misunderstood
Octavarium

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 12:54:39 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pGbRH_1ykU This has to be the saddest prog song, i get manly tears in my eye everytime i listen to it
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 01:10:31 AM »
It's really pretty hard to make me cry with a song,but The Best of Times did it
Seasons change and so can I

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 01:11:54 AM »
Spirit Carries On, Beneath the surface and Illumination Theory.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 05:06:03 AM »
Many of them,this thread been (There you can find my list)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 05:20:22 AM »
First there's the "songs that got you into DT" thread & now this. The duplicates are taking over!  :eek
It's more than that, there was actually an exact "What DT song has made you cry" thread a couple of months ago, or really similar.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 08:47:11 AM »
It's more than that, there was actually an exact "What DT song has made you cry" thread a couple of months ago, or really similar.

You're absolutely right:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41450.0
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Warhorse000

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 10:22:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pGbRH_1ykU This has to be the saddest prog song, i get manly tears in my eye everytime i listen to it

God I love Seventh Wonder..

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 11:14:51 AM »
 I don't think I've EVER heard a song from anyone that made me ball like a little girl, but plenty that have made me tear up and hit me hard.  For DT, it would have to be SDOIT on Score.  Probably 3 times during the song I felt so emotionally overwhelmed, especially between 34:20-34:56... with the crescendo being the orchestra @ 34:38.  Those measures are probably the emotional DT high for me.  One other would be ACOS-The Crimson Sunset

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 11:35:51 AM »
'The Spirit Carries On' WILL make me cry at my wife's funeral.  It will make her cry at mine.

As I've headed to NYC 25-30 times since Octavarium was released, it has become tradition to listen to 'Sacrificied Sons' as I view Battery Park from northbound I-95.  The gamut of emotions and memories runs full circle each time.

I will always remember the montage behind the band during the Black Clouds tour for this song.   And I swear, I thought Portnoy was trying to put both fists through his drum kit during the last two minutes

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »

You're absolutely right:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41450.0

That's what I was referring to
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline thosava

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 03:07:41 PM »
I forgot about Disappear. That's the saddest song i have ever heard. There is just something about the lyrics and the hauntlingly sad melody that gets me. It's one of very few DT songs that i sometimes skip while listening to an entire album, just because that is too emotional for me sometimes.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 03:13:12 PM »
Disappear - I agree, just one hauntingly beautiful song.
The Best Of Times - of course, one of the most personal songs by DT, maybe THE most personal.
Octavarium - my fav song of all time (with Supper's Ready & Gates Of Delirium), the final solo always leaves me speechless.
Illumination Theory - only because my ex-gf used to love this song, hard to listen to it now, what a shame.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 03:17:59 PM »
What? No one said Through Her Eyes yet? Really?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »
True story.

First time I saw DT Live, 1st Night Hammersmith Apollo on the Octavarium tour.

I was absolutely STEAMING (drunk)

Get in, great seats, band kicks off. Few songs in, A Fortune in Lies, I burst into tears. Absolutely no reason really, no idea why.

My friends ragged me for days and we've called it "A Fortune in Cries" ever since.
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 08:45:42 PM »

The original version with the saxophone at the end is my favorite version and it has that effect on me.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 09:14:11 PM »
I really never did until very recently I was watching live at budokan and for some reason disappear just kicked me right in the man parts.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 12:48:55 AM »
True story.

First time I saw DT Live, 1st Night Hammersmith Apollo on the Octavarium tour.

I was absolutely STEAMING (drunk)

Get in, great seats, band kicks off. Few songs in, A Fortune in Lies, I burst into tears. Absolutely no reason really, no idea why.

My friends ragged me for days and we've called it "A Fortune in Cries" ever since.

A fortune in lies?!?!!! That's amazing, seriously DT is like a drug or something.

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 10:02:43 AM »
The Best of Times. I was in a particularly sensitive mood one day while listening to BCASL and when it got to the part right before the solo, where Mike is essentially saying goodbye to his dad, it just got me.  I don't blame Mike AT ALL for not wanting to play that one live, and same goes for JP not wanting to play Take Away My Pain anymore after that time period.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 11:10:22 AM »

One of my least favorite DT songs. I wish, MP would just have played real drums here.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 11:36:53 AM »
Beneath the Surface - Not exactly that situation, but similar.
Disappear - JLB and all the atmosphere going on.

Ohh yeah!

Offline pcs90

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »
Haven't actually cried from a song, but the last section of Illumination Theory almost got me to that point.