Author Topic: This person is applying to college.  (Read 7906 times)

Calvin6s

Re: This person is applying to college.
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2015, 11:47:35 PM »
Concentrate more on the desired career than the higher education location at this point.  Find as many career possibilities at this point.  It defines everything else.

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2015, 10:25:16 AM »
I already have a dream of what I want to be, but I've heard that a lot of people change majors throughout so I'm not confident I'll stick with this, but it's calling to me strongly now.
:6:
:2hammer:
Glad to be back.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2015, 11:36:19 AM »
I already have a dream of what I want to be, but I've heard that a lot of people change majors throughout so I'm not confident I'll stick with this, but it's calling to me strongly now.
:6:
:2hammer:

I changed twice in undergrad, finished with an Engineering degree, then when I got into the real world, decided I needed more, so went to law school, then didn't actually work for a firm (but was inside Counsel for a Fortune 5 company whose legal department has been widely praised as a "law firm unto itself"), then left the legal department to work in the commercial group and went and got my MBA.

You can change, but have a thread.  Have something you can tell employers is the "common denominator" between all your positions and changes.  For me, I sell it as "The Deal".  I want to be part of the deal in all facets; structuring, negotiating, etc. and they are all related and intertwined.  They've bought that now for 25 years.  ;) 

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
I understood the first part, but not the second. Have a thread? What exactly do you mean? And what's a common denominator? Is it like the common denominator of 7 and 5 is 35? Cause I'm learning that in class. And what's "The Deal?" Is it a made up word? And what's a MBA?
 :alwayswatchingyou:
Glad to be back.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2015, 01:37:57 PM »
I understood the first part, but not the second. Have a thread? What exactly do you mean? And what's a common denominator? Is it like the common denominator of 7 and 5 is 35? Cause I'm learning that in class. And what's "The Deal?" Is it a made up word? And what's a MBA?
 :alwayswatchingyou:

Meaning a thread or common theme throughout your career.   if you bounce from lawyer to graphic designer to chef to construction worker, you're going to look like you don't know what you're doing, that you're desperate, and taking any job that comes your way.   If you sell with a common theme (yes, the "common denominator") that you are interested in positions that require creativity, it sounds more like you know what you're doing.

MBA is a Master's of Business Administration.  Basically an advanced business degree that you get after college. 

"The Deal" is the actual transaction.  I negotiate transactions between companies, essentially.   So when you go and by that new Dream Theater record, I would have negotiated the deal between Dream Theater and the record company to get you that album (though I'm not in entertainment).

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2015, 01:49:56 PM »
I agree with Stadler but would like to add that I think that depends on the industry you're looking to get into. I work in insurance and having a well-rounded resume is considered a good thing. If your resume is just 15 years of various business analyst work, odd are that's the type of work you're going to get hired for. If you have a few years as a database administrator, a few years as a business analyst, a few years of underwriting, and a few years of working in bond, you are going to look more appealing to more managers. There are certain industries where having experience throughout is considered better than doing the same thing your whole career. Then again, I guess you could lump all of those positions into the general category of "insurance". 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »
Good advice by Chino; insurance is sort of a singular industry, so the more you know about the various pieces, the better off you are.