Author Topic: This person is applying to college.  (Read 7905 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
This person is applying to college.
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:21:57 AM »
My girlfriend works as an admissions counselor for a university in CT. Her job is basically to convince anyone showing interest in the school to enroll, and then she holds their hand through the enrollment process.

She just sent me the following. It's a text conversation she had just before she left yesterday.

Girlfriend: Sounds good. Just make sure you really research all of the schools you are considering. A quick Google search about their accreditation is highly recommended.

Potential Student: word. i do ur a new england credited. wut?

Girlfriend: Yes. That's correct. New England Association of Schools and College.

Potential Student: This aint england. this its usa. dis is a scam

She gets about 100 of people just like this a day. How in the actual fuck does this person get out of high school? This person needs to be entering the third grade or making hats.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:47:07 AM by Chino »

Offline kaos2900

Re: This person is applying to college.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 06:32:26 AM »
Because every one passes in high school unless the student chooses to drop out. NO ONE CAN BE LEFT BEHIND!!!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 07:11:52 AM »
Besides the stupidity, who texts someone in a non personal/friendly conversation that way?  Even if the New England thing wasnt the stupidity, that text is just god awful.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 07:23:55 AM »
Besides the stupidity, who texts someone in a non personal/friendly conversation that way?  Even if the New England thing wasnt the stupidity, that text is just god awful.

That's actually pretty normal. Some of the stuff she receives is appalling.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 07:29:05 AM »

That's actually pretty normal. Some of the stuff she receives is appalling.

So sad and discouraging.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 07:29:52 AM »
Check out this list of first names. She's had to communicate with everyone on this list.

Acacia
Aijalon
Aixa
Aleathea
Aniesha
Anonda
Antavious
Antorrie
Aredrianna
Arkanya
Armether
Astacia
Athalene
Brendaliz
Briyonna
Bronica
Cardarius
Cazan
Cedtrineya
Chantry
Charissa
Charisse
Charkil
Charla
Chawayntha
Chevela
Chintell
Contina
Damonte
Darneisha
Davonte
De’erin
Deithrea
Deshonia
Dontae
Dynesha
Evanlis (the n is si-lent)
Gracious
Hi-Dro
Inonge
Ishaque
Jabrine
Jaleesa
Janaan
Janasia
Jaycee
Jaysun
Juandolyn
Juandria
Kadeesha
Karama
Kasual (pronounced casual)
Keandreal
Keneffria
Kentrell
Kerline
Keyasha
Khaleel
Kiantay
Kiara
La Nikah
Lacresha
Ladarrin
Laethel
Lakeisha
Lakenya
Lakisha
Laquavia
Lashawna
Lashonda
Lashunda
Lavieth
Lyneice
Mahonganie
Malika
Mandrail
Markita
Marquise
Marquitta
Martrell
Musse
Myinka
Mylove
Nafeesa
Nahalia
Nakeya
Nakishewa
Natarsha
Nekiyia
Neshia
Nichelle
Niesha
Norvia
Qawie
Quatwana
Quinlon
Quovatas
R’chard (pro-nounced ra-shard)
Razia
Reaunna
Remondre
Roimari
Rondell-Dayzon
Rontavious
Saniqua
Selinette
Sequitia
Sequitia
Shabreca
Shai-kela
Shameeka
Shamika
Shandrevis
Shanice
Shaquille
Shaundreka
Shawntaveria
Shelean
Shellonda
Shelvis
Shenika
Shyderial
Spurgin
Stephone
Stormi
Suncilray
Tabu
Taishika
Talicia
Talisha
Tamarcus
Tamika
Tanisha
Tanjanique
Tariq
Tawana
Tenneil
Terasa
Terinette
Tervina
Tinequa
Tonika
Traynham
Trikhina
Tyleicia
Tyniesha
Tyquasha
Vaschon
Wynikia
Ziyeka
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:30:14 AM by Chino »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 07:32:18 AM »
Obligatory:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 07:43:49 AM »
I do feel the need to say that this whole thing is a result of myriad socio-political forces, and while it is funny from an outside perspective, it is also very sad and genuinely needs fixing.

I went to a high school where nearly 60 percent of the students could not read on grade level and more than that were not at grade level for math. American public education is in total disarray and it amounts to a hell of a lot more than just "lol uneducated black people with weird names."

edit: This isn't to say it isn't really funny. In high school, I took a community college philosophy course, and after it, I became Facebook friends with the professor. He posts (anonymously, obviously) the worst parts of essays he receives and some of them are fucking hilarious. Case in point:

"Within this argumentative essay objectivism will be explained is to what it is and why it is moral for humans to find and have happiness in everyday life, then to give examples of different types of objectivism in a person's life then how it pertains to happiness, last to argue why objectivism is to make someone happy and to reach his or her goals in life with there always being reality in the way."

"What makes legality good is that it doesn't only benefit one person it benefits all. .Without legality society would not have all these problems occurring today with people going against rules. Legality creates other laws and rules that benefit society as a whole."

"I think ethics are objective because no one can influence a person’s moral values. For example, my morals and ethics could never be influenced or changed."

"Hello professor,
You accidentally gave me a wrong final grade. You Gave me a C+ but it is supposed to be an A. Thank you!"

" This affect, all of us because we all work the same way and we all need two know how are world functions so we destroy it also, knowing where we came from and how we came about, and lets us know about are future knowing about the big bang lets us know about the end of the world too."

and my personal favorite:

"Another fact that prizes me is that always say that god always take the good one's but why would he take the good people wouldn't it be best to keep them here to do more good? My uncle who was a great man that loved everything about life always try to do right by others especially his family. He died young, didn't even get to see age fifty, why did he had to die. My baby sister that was only six months and didn't even get a chance to known life had to die. I don't understand why good people have to die young, it is because god needed them in heaven to do his work?"

The point is that laughing at all this stuff is well and good, but it is also really sad and unfortunate and needs to be changed.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:54:13 AM by 73109 »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 08:02:31 AM »
^^ truth.

As someone who came up through the public education system in Mississippi I can certainly attest to that. School buses that've been around for way to long and frequently break down, handing out bibles to everyone as they come into the school and not teaching evolution, forcing teachers to take stupidly large classes due to a lack of resources, on and on and on. I'm not trying to make excuses, only highlight some issues.

If they're anything like me, many of these ignorant kids have probably grown up feeling helpless vis-a-vis their education, and the system only reinforces that.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 08:18:04 AM »
I don't disagree that it is a joint effort, but some of this is on the people, too, and by that I mean the students and their parents.   There's an underlying theme over the past ten, fifteen years or so, that reinforces the individual to a scary degree.  People have this notion that whatever they do, whatever they think, whatever they put out there is equal, valid, and of consequence, and isn't.   It just isn't.  Yeah, maybe this mindset applies when you're dealing with being homosexual or not, but it doesn't apply across the board.   

"I don't need to read "Grapes of Wrath"; it doesn't have anything to do with MY experience!"   Yes, but if you read it, you know what good writing skills sound like, and you'd have a slightly broader wealth of experience to draw from.  Not everything needs to be about the people on your block.   

"School isn't for me. It's hard, so I'm taking a different approach".  Ok, but life is hard.  Raising kids is hard.   Disciplining them and making sure they make decent decisions (or have the tools to make decent decisions) is hard.   So?  We shouldn't be able to opt out of anything that isn't smack in our wheelhouse, especially when we're too young to even have a wheelhouse.

I can't believe that a parent can't read that and see there is something wrong.  They may not know what it is, but at least know something is wrong.   This isn't about "evolution" vs. "creation"; it's way more simple than that.  At least if the kids were reading that bible that was given to them, they'd understand that "what u b doon, brah" is not an appropriate way to communicate with someone that you are hoping to convince to help you. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 08:36:56 AM »
I can agree with all of that. And to clarify, I didn't mean to suggest that this is as simple as an issue of what's being taught in schools (i.e. evolution vs creation), only use that as one example of what I might label a red flag. If I'm muslim in that school, I certainly could read the Bible and get something out of it. But I'd also feel potentially marginalized and offended.

And while I know this is a hackneyed argument, it's worth pointing out that unfortunately a lot of parents simply can't and won't be there every step of the way to help their children and encourage good and bad habits. Many will never be able to read that message and say something is wrong, because a lot of them are out working overtime at some shitty job to put food on the table.

On the general premise though, I absolutely agree. Education *should* start in the home, with the parents and the kids.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 11:12:59 AM »
Hi-Dro? That's just fucking priceless.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 11:24:54 AM »
Hi-Dro is my middle name.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 11:35:18 AM »
Is that pronounced "hidashdro"?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »
Is that pronounced "hidashdro"?
No, it's "Hee hyphen drow"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 12:00:41 PM »

My wife has had a student who's name was spelled La-a. What/how would you say that?

Her name is La (dash) a                    La-a   =   "Ladasha"
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhlịujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
i gained a lot of self-confidence in high school and college when i thought my essays were bad then we had to proofread everyone else's and 90% of them were way worse than mine

what the heck is wrong with education in america

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 12:17:53 PM »
i gained a lot of self-confidence in high school and college when i thought my essays were bad then we had to proofread everyone else's and 90% of them were way worse than mine

1) Common Core / Standardized testing
2) Cities so poor that tax revenue can't be generated / the schools have no budget
3) Parents suck and then try to sue the school when their kid doesn't accomplish anything
4) Single parent households where they one parent has multiple children and multiple jobs
5) An environment that makes children hate school from a young age rather than making them excited to learn new things
6) For profit colleges
7) Children don't understand the value of an education (or at least vocab decent enough to not sound like the guy in the OP) until they have to start paying bills.
8) Celebrated ignorance

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 12:37:02 PM »
I honestly put a lot of blame on parents personally.  Maybe that is harsh as I am not a parent so I am taking shots from an ivory tower, but from my friend who is a teacher and my x who is a school psychologist, the parental stories are ridiculous and totally intrusive to their child's education.  And a lot of that comes from the entitlement.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 12:38:30 PM »
I'd say that the parents are the biggest contributor to the problem. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 01:17:17 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 01:56:57 PM »

My wife has had a student who's name was spelled La-a. What/how would you say that?

Her name is La (dash) a                    La-a   =   "Ladasha"
My company had a customer with a first name pronounced "Ab-sid-ee."

It was spelled Abcde.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 01:58:01 PM »
The original "Letters".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 02:04:07 PM »
This thread is just convincing me further that people need to earn the right to procreate.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »
My girlfriend works as an admissions counselor for a university in CT. Her job is basically to convince anyone showing interest in the school to enroll, and then she holds their hand through the enrollment process.

She just sent me the following. It's a text conversation she had just before she left yesterday.

Girlfriend: Sounds good. Just make sure you really research all of the schools you are considering. A quick Google search about their accreditation is highly recommended.

Potential Student: word. i do ur a new england credited. wut?

Girlfriend: Yes. That's correct. New England Association of Schools and College.

Potential Student: This aint england. this its usa. dis is a scam

She gets about 100 of people just like this a day. How in the actual fuck does this person get out of high school? This person needs to be entering the third grade or making hats.
Oh dear, Jesus!  :facepalm:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »
This thread is just convincing me further that people need to earn the right to procreate.
I don't agree.

But I understand.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 02:13:09 PM »
Idiocracy is real.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 02:14:33 PM »
Speaking from an ivory tower has made me realise one thing only...

:emo: i've murdered a fuck load of elephants.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 02:36:42 PM »
Speaking from an ivory tower has made me realise one thing only...

:emo: i've murdered a fuck load of elephants.
This boards never ceases to confuse me.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »
Why? SMF is pretty straight forward.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 12:25:57 AM »

1) Common Core / Standardized testing
2) Cities so poor that tax revenue can't be generated / the schools have no budget
3) Parents suck and then try to sue the school when their kid doesn't accomplish anything
4) Single parent households where they one parent has multiple children and multiple jobs
5) An environment that makes children hate school from a young age rather than making them excited to learn new things
6) For profit colleges
7) Children don't understand the value of an education (or at least vocab decent enough to not sound like the guy in the OP) until they have to start paying bills.
8) Celebrated ignorance

You forgot the "participation trophies" environment.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 01:07:44 AM »
I must have come from a really good area. My essays were good in comparison to my class (and still are in college), but there were so many kids in the AP programs not getting any sleep from studying all the god damn time (I was never in any AP classes, couple of pre-APs that meant nothing except a slightly higher GPA). It just baffled me how many people could live their live without.. living life.

Parents are definitely the problem. If someone has a child, they (both parents) should go through a mandatory, free class (possibly during the first paid maternal/family leave?) that goes through some of the things parents can do right and wrong, and show multiple good methods of raising the child.

When I hear a kid crying and hear the mom go "Stop crying, that's so ANNOYING" I want to just replace that kid's mom with my mom
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 04:58:08 AM »
Why? SMF is pretty straight forward.
I lol'd

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »
I can agree with all of that. And to clarify, I didn't mean to suggest that this is as simple as an issue of what's being taught in schools (i.e. evolution vs creation), only use that as one example of what I might label a red flag. If I'm muslim in that school, I certainly could read the Bible and get something out of it. But I'd also feel potentially marginalized and offended.

And while I know this is a hackneyed argument, it's worth pointing out that unfortunately a lot of parents simply can't and won't be there every step of the way to help their children and encourage good and bad habits. Many will never be able to read that message and say something is wrong, because a lot of them are out working overtime at some shitty job to put food on the table.

On the general premise though, I absolutely agree. Education *should* start in the home, with the parents and the kids.

Please understand, I am not picking on you, but some of what you write is part of the problem.  This notion of "marginalizing": it's a fabrication for people who's agenda is based on the minority.  I look back when I was a kid, and I probably was "marginalized" in the sense that you are using the word, but in that case ignorance is bliss.

Do the math:  if you worry about marginalizing someone on every single issue (can't show same-race, male-female couples, because mixed race and gay couples will be marginalized.  Can't show nuclear families, because integrated families will be marginalized.) then by definition, EVERY student will feel marginalized by something.  That's not the solution.  It's the old "to a hammer, everything is a nail" syndrome.  It's not up to the schools to teach diversity (and I mean that in the broadest sense).   It is up to the parents.  Sure, some won't do that, but most will, and those that don't will feel the consequences without being "shamed" by the schools into driving politically correct behavior. 

School's job is to communicate information, period.  Be a resource, like a book in a library.  Not coach them into scoring high on a specific test so that the community can get more federal tax dollars.   That's a self-defeating proposition (and by the way, there is no direct cause and effect - though there is some correlation - between "more money" and "better performance").

It's getting dated now, but "Dumbing Down Our Kids" by Charles somebody is must reading for this discussion.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2015, 11:39:23 AM »

Please understand, I am not picking on you, but some of what you write is part of the problem.  This notion of "marginalizing": it's a fabrication for people who's agenda is based on the minority.  I look back when I was a kid, and I probably was "marginalized" in the sense that you are using the word, but in that case ignorance is bliss.

Do the math:  if you worry about marginalizing someone on every single issue (can't show same-race, male-female couples, because mixed race and gay couples will be marginalized.  Can't show nuclear families, because integrated families will be marginalized.) then by definition, EVERY student will feel marginalized by something.  That's not the solution.  It's the old "to a hammer, everything is a nail" syndrome.  It's not up to the schools to teach diversity (and I mean that in the broadest sense).   It is up to the parents.  Sure, some won't do that, but most will, and those that don't will feel the consequences without being "shamed" by the schools into driving politically correct behavior. 

School's job is to communicate information, period.  Be a resource, like a book in a library.  Not coach them into scoring high on a specific test so that the community can get more federal tax dollars.   That's a self-defeating proposition (and by the way, there is no direct cause and effect - though there is some correlation - between "more money" and "better performance").

It's getting dated now, but "Dumbing Down Our Kids" by Charles somebody is must reading for this discussion.

Perhaps I shouldn't have brought up marginalization, because the issue that I was briefly touching on in the bible example was actually much larger than that. Most likely my fault for doing so. Or maybe you'll disagree?

Are you suggesting that using depictions of same-race, male-female couples (or nuclear families) is an issue on the same level as public schools handing out bibles (and bibles only) in a supposedly secular state? Or that maybe that's the path we're on if we take issue with the latter? Or something else entirely? For now, I'm sensing either false equivalence or slippery slope. But it's absolutely possible that I've misunderstood.

I mean look, I'm very sympathetic to the issue of constant preoccupation with offending anyone and I wholeheartedly agree with the specific examples you mentioned. I know, from personal experience, that this PC on steroids (for lack of a better phrase) can be very problematic and (ironically) marginalizing to anyone with an unpopular opinion. However, I'm not on board with your examples as they relate to mine. Or maybe I should say, I'm not sure they're entirely relevant to the larger point I was originally trying to make. Which at the end of the day was not so much an issue of marginalization as it was of poor education (i.e. greatly limiting the resources in the library, if I can borrow your analogy). It just so happens that in this case, the things that might marginalize a young atheist boy (or what have you) are also actively obstructing the communication of information which the school should stand for.