Author Topic: I'm kinda scared.  (Read 909 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
I'm kinda scared.
« on: October 23, 2015, 07:53:27 AM »
I've had this lump on my leg for quite a while, just beneath the calf muscle. I went to see a clinic a few months ago and the (older) doctor said she wasn't quite sure what it was but she told me just to keep an eye on it to see if it grows. That was maybe a month or two ago. I don't think it's grown, but it's still there, so a few days ago I went to Urgent Care to have them look at it. They said it looked like a lipoma, and then referred me to an imaging center for an ultrasound. Yesterday they told me the results of the ultrasound were "non-specific" or something like that, so they scheduled me for an MRI today.

Ugh.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: I'm kinda scared.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 07:59:22 AM »
Good thing you went and got it looked at. Could be a number of things though if it's in your leg. I had swelling in that area when I had clotting issues after my accident. Anyone in your family have a history of gout?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »
It is most likely a benign cyst or something.  No reason to be scared until you have to be, but definitely good to get it checked out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:26:15 AM »
Best wishes. Surely if they're not certain what it is - is a sign that it could be anything ?

My brother and I weirdly both found something new "down there" around the same time and we were both absolutely fine. That was 12 years ago now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
It is most likely a benign cyst or something.  No reason to be scared until you have to be, but definitely good to get it checked out.

This. With it not growing in size...it's location.....most likely just a build up of some sort. You're taking all the right steps, try and stay relaxed. No need to work yourself up without knowing anything for sure. Best of luck..I'm sure it'll be OK
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 08:36:19 AM »

This is what I was thinking.  I currently have a benign cyst (not in my leg) but its just a small lump and harmless, in fact insurance wont even cover the removal as they say its not a health issue, which I am looking into maybe another doctor to see if we can get this covered because I want it gone.

But regardless, its good to get it checked out and ease your mind, hopefully its not something serious, but get your tests and find out for sure.  Good luck with this, its always scarey when you find something not right with your body, but it doesn't mean its something that is wrong either.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »
I had a pilonidal cyst on my lower back. It just showed up one day full throttle.

Four days before the SCORE filming at RCMH, I woke up with really bad lower back pain. After standing up from my morning shit, I saw that the toilet was literally covered in blood. Like everywhere. I went to the ER having no idea what it was. The doctor was like "we need to remove this, you're likely to have it for life". He wanted to remove it that weekend and I refused as I wasn't missing out of being in the 8th row at that concert. It wasn't just a small cut either. He said it'd be a chunk about the size of a lacrosse ball that'd need to be removed and then they'd have to stretch skin to close it.

I agreed to have the surgery in a few weeks time after I finished classes. The cyst went away and I called off the surgery. It's been almost ten years now and I haven't noticed it since.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 08:43:39 AM »
As humans - we always assume the worst case scenario.

And it's best not to get worked up until you know for sure.

Worrying and getting yourself sick won't change it or help it so try to stay calm until you know for certain.

Definitely don't Google it !!

:hug:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 09:20:50 AM »

PLEASE don't do this! My wife drives me insane with this.....entering symptoms in an online medical page or something.....it's ALWAYS the worst case scenario and then I have to convince her our kids head isn't going to fall off or that she isn't going to lose her vision permanently....or something along those lines.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 09:42:41 AM »
Prayers for a good report!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »
Glad you are getting it checked out.  Never put something like that off!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 10:36:01 AM »
I had a pilonidal cyst on my lower back. It just showed up one day full throttle.

Four days before the SCORE filming at RCMH, I woke up with really bad lower back pain. After standing up from my morning shit, I saw that the toilet was literally covered in blood. Like everywhere. I went to the ER having no idea what it was. The doctor was like "we need to remove this, you're likely to have it for life". He wanted to remove it that weekend and I refused as I wasn't missing out of being in the 8th row at that concert. It wasn't just a small cut either. He said it'd be a chunk about the size of a lacrosse ball that'd need to be removed and then they'd have to stretch skin to close it.

I agreed to have the surgery in a few weeks time after I finished classes. The cyst went away and I called off the surgery. It's been almost ten years now and I haven't noticed it since.

I have one of these right now, had it about 4 years ago and it has returned with a vengeance.

Damn thing makes it tiring to sit!

...my name is Araragi.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »

PLEASE don't do this! My wife drives me insane with this.....entering symptoms in an online medical page or something.....it's ALWAYS the worst case scenario and then I have to convince her our kids head isn't going to fall off or that she isn't going to lose her vision permanently....or something along those lines.

If you do do this, dont tell the doc either.  They get mad if you self diagnose online.  At least the few times I have admitted to looking online, they have said so that they do not like that and one doctor was once vocally mad at me, which was a big turn off because what do you expect me to do in this day and age, but he was a good doctor and learned my lesson... even if i do google, just keep that part to yourself.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 12:59:39 PM »
It can definitely be scary. (See my Mammogram thread).

Lipoma's are nothing to worry about for the most part. It's like a fatty tumor made of... well...fat cells that are contained in their own little capsule. They're usually just below the skin. I have one on my collar bone, and another on the back of my head that I plan to get removed. The one on my head you can't see, but I know it's there!! 

They are non-cancerous, and can not turn into cancer. The fact that you found it speaks volumes as to it being a lipoma. Rarely do cancerous tumors appear like that. The results being non-specific are actually a good thing. It means it doesn't look like cancer. Your doc is just being vigilant, and the MRI will probably just confirm what everyone else thinks already. Of course no matter what anyone else tells you, it won't put your mind at ease until you get a definitive result, so try and hold on to the "non-specific" findings as great news, and resign yourself to the fact that you've got a lipoma.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 02:20:35 PM »
I have had those for years and doctors should know what they are without running any tests.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White