Author Topic: Do you regularly eat somewhere that gets hammered on Yelp?  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Do you regularly eat somewhere that gets hammered on Yelp?
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »
I eat at this place 2-3 times a week for lunch despite the terrible reviews.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/pietros-pizza-hartford?sort_by=date_desc

Anyone else frequent places that everyone else seems to hate?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Do you regularly eat somewhere that gets hammered on Yelp?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:19:20 AM »
I wouldn't go to that place based on those reviews! :lol
Are you saying all those people are wrong and its really good? OR you just don't care about eating bad food?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:21:43 AM »
I wouldn't go to that place based on those reviews! :lol
Are you saying all those people are wrong and its really good? OR you just don't care about eating bad food?

I don't know  :lol I had been going there for about 3 months before I looked it up. I'm not a fan of marinara. I have no problem with how their pizza tastes. My girl friend and I ate there late a night last weekend and she gave up eating it half way through her first piece.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:33:02 AM »
Maybe you just have taste for shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 11:54:21 AM »
Fuck Yelp.

That is all.

;D Loney! Where is my Loney!?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 11:56:34 AM »
I wouldn't go to that place for the first time based on that review. However if I had already been eating there and enjoyed it the reviews wouldn't mean anything at all to me. I'm racking my brain trying to think of a place I go that might get lousy reviews, but all of my haunts are very well regarded.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »
Yeah, we had a regular spot that reviewed bad. It all depends, it was good with their ethnic Chinese food but apparently not so good with their Americanized versions. One of the few places all three of us loved going to.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 12:41:39 PM »
I only use yelp for things like home repair services, in which instances other sites are often a better resource. I don't care enough about my dining or other peoples' thoughts to bother with yelp.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
Fuck yelp.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »
I'm partly on board with fuck yelp, and partly not. Everybody has different tastes in food, so the opinions of others have no credibility to me. In Dallas, the surest way to get people to come to your place is to over-salt the shit out of everything, so that skews the reviews quite a bit for me. At the same time, I'll skim the reviews looking for the people who found a severed thumb in their food, or ended up in Parkland after eating from the salad bar. More important, though, are the pictures. You can tell a great deal about the food and what you get from the pictures real people take of it. In Chino's example, it's the first picture of that school cafeteria pizza that would have turned me off; not the written reviews.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
Don't use or trust yelp at all, especially after knowing a few business owners who declined their pay business plan and had their positive reviews disappear.

I do use tripadvisor and google reviews though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »
I live in a small town, so I am already familiar with all the restaurants here.  I don't need yelp for that.

I only use yelp when I am in unfamiliar towns/vacations.  It works for that purpose for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 09:53:32 PM »
I'm a Yelp fan, but not die hard.  I'll take all reviews into consideration.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 10:12:34 PM »
Does Taco Bell count as a shitty place I still get (what is described as) food from?  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 10:16:45 PM »
While I do use the ratings on Yelp to get an idea of what places around may be good or not the reviews themselves have lead an entire faction of people to become pretentious, obnoxious food critics when a good majority of them have absolutely no business/expertise going to the depths they do in their reviews.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 12:08:45 AM »
While I do use the ratings on Yelp to get an idea of what places around may be good or not the reviews themselves have lead an entire faction of people to become pretentious, obnoxious food critics when a good majority of them have absolutely no business/expertise going to the depths they do in their reviews.

God damn it I could kiss you right now. Yes. Thank you! Spot on.

But as you and Barto said (and sadly most people aren't as smart as many people on DTF), it is a good way to get a general feel of a place and if the majority of reviews say they had shit in their food, slow service, etc...then it's a good bet it's a shitty place. But that is really about it. It always gives me a simultaneous feeling of severe rage and intense laughter at how some people truly do think themselves to be fuckin' connoisseurs of cuisine simply because they have the ability to fart their feelings and copious amounts of intelligence to the world. Thanks, internet. THANKS.

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 06:59:04 AM »
Does Taco Bell count as a shitty place I still get (what is described as) food from?  :lol

That's assuming that Taco Bell could actually be considered food.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 03:09:01 AM »
The review that said

2) Had to go down stairs after delivery guy called my room. I have NEVER had to hunt a delivery person down at any hotel in any city. They had my room number.

pissed me right off! I used to be a pizza delivery driver for three years and we never, EVER went into people's apartment blocks, we would deliver to the external door and ask the customer to come down and get it. The number of times I'd get yelled at for not taking it right to their apartment door or student room, or they'd call my store and complain to the manager who would back me up and point out that on the menu small print it says drivers do not enter apartments (but usually give them free food anyway simply for being annoyed... grr). It just wasn't worth the safety issues. So many occasions of a driver going into someone's apartment block on a fake order, then being mugged as he tried to leave, you're off the street, nobody can see or hear you and you have no weapon, nothing. I used to carry a rape alarm and a knuckle duster on my car keys. Until you've actually done that job you have no idea how scary it is going into a stranger's apartment block at midnight in a dodgy area carrying food and cash! Seriously review guy, get off your ass and go get the damn pizza.

Anyway, I rarely look at reviews before I go somewhere new.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 07:38:04 AM »
Yeah. I don't get that one. I've never had delivery make it past the front desk anywhere I've stayed. It's a security thing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 08:44:21 AM »
I'm kind of with the group here:  I wouldn't eat there based on the reviews, but if I liked a place already, I wouldn't let the reviews stop me.

Having said that, HOLY CRAP have the literacy skills of Americans gone down the crapper.   Man.  If I didn't know better, I would think that English wasn't a first language for most of those posters. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 12:05:38 PM »
That's the main thing that gets me too, honestly. Want me to take your preposterously livid review seriously? Learn the difference between 'discussed' and 'disgusted'. Holy shit:lol

RIP DTP.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 01:05:51 PM »
Yelp is dumb. I may glance at it when I'm looking for a new place, but the places I love always get a few bogus reviews.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 03:50:10 PM »
Oh. My. God! YES! I don't watch South Park but that is amazingly amazing.  "Mm..it's tart, but savory!"  :rollin I love it.

As a qualifier, I'd beat the shit out of any of my people if I saw them doing anything like that or the usual shit that a lot of assholes just assume that angry back of house peeps do even at the finer restaurants (even if it's totally deserved). But do I often want to and/or vigorously masturbate to such incredible thoughts shown in this awesome clip? Yes. Yes I fucking do.  :metal

Chef bless you, South Park. Beautiful.  :'( :heart

RIP DTP.