Author Topic: The Movie Chat Thread  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: The Movie Chat Thread
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 06:52:09 AM »
Not only was I not that fussed with Mad Max, I don't like a single other movie named by anyone in this thread so far, except Fight Club.

Mad Max had incredible action and effects, and I was fine with the plot and the way it progressed, though I think they blew their load before the finale. That last chase didn't have the spark that the earlier ones did.

It also had, for the most part, terrible acting and terrible dialogue. As in, despite the quality of the action, I felt embarrassed to have suggested that me and my friend go and see it, they were so bad. If fire and fast cars is all you need to consider a movie brilliant, whatever. I need more than that.

Also, you can try and justify Max as a "minimalistic" character, but I'll be fucked if I'll willingly sit through a movie twice in which the main character literally grunts like an ape in numerous scenes.
Finally some sanity.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 06:55:23 AM »
It also had, for the most part, terrible acting and terrible dialogue. As in, despite the quality of the action, I felt embarrassed to have suggested that me and my friend go and see it, they were so bad. If fire and fast cars is all you need to consider a movie brilliant, whatever. I need more than that.

I think it really depends on what grounds you judge the movie. I judge it as a blockbuster action movie and on those grounds I thought it was brilliant. Does that mean it's a flawless film? It's not a movie I would put up there among my favorites of all time, and it's not the kind of movie you could compare to deep philosophical films, but compared to most other big blockbuster action films, it definitely stood out as one of the better ones in recent memory. But that doesn't mean it should be compared to Citizen Kane or anything like that.

Personally, while I watch many of the big blockbuster movies, those are very rarely among my favorites overall. There's a few exceptions like The Matrix or Terminator 2 (both being big films, both being in my top20 films of all time), but my favorite movie of 2013 was Her, that was an indie film. My favorite film of last year was Whiplash, that was an indie film. Drive was my favorite film of 2011 (?) and that was also an indie film. Those kind of films tend to stick with me more than the big blockbuster ones, but you get surprised sometimes.

As for the Mad Max series, I'd still probably rate Road Warrior at nr1, but Fury Road is a close second.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2015, 10:33:44 AM »
And locked why?   ::)

Isn't this pretty much what the "last movie you saw" thread is?
Yes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.