Author Topic: The Movie Chat Thread  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
The Movie Chat Thread
« on: October 17, 2015, 01:29:31 PM »
I want to make comments on movies once in awhile without making a specific thread on that movie. To get comments and feedback and move on.

I'll start with a movie I had heard was sooo good, so I finally saw it.

That new Mad Max movie was such a worthless piece of garbage I can't believe the level of suck it was!
Tom Hardy blew chunks in that role! That was acting? Terrible!
I want that 2 hours of life back!

Anybody else feeling that?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:32:59 PM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Movie Chat Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »
Yeah those statements are pretty much terrible and Mad Max ruled hard

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 03:10:41 PM »
Isn't this pretty much what the "last movie you saw" thread is?

Also, Mad Max is so far my favorite movie of 2015.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »
EPIC THREAD FAIL.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 04:29:31 PM »
If you really liked that piece of shit movie, I will use you all as a guideline for what NOT to watch!
Holy fuck that movie SUCKED!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 04:30:22 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 04:38:05 PM »
If you really liked that piece of shit movie, I will use you all as a guideline for what NOT to watch!

Never watch :

1. Back To The Future
2. The Wrath Of Khan
3. The Sting
4. Flight Of The Navigator
5. Jaws
6. Fight Club
7. Finding Nemo

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 04:42:51 PM »

Never watch :

1. Back To The Future
2. The Wrath Of Khan
3. The Sting
4. Flight Of The Navigator
5. Jaws
6. Fight Club
7. Finding Nemo
In all honesty Mad Max was not only the worst movie I have watched in 2015, it's one of the most lame ass movies I've ever seen,
Your list is decent. Can't imagine why you liked Mad Max. Mel Gibson was the man, Tom Hardy...AWFUL!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 04:44:26 PM »
I'm just YANKING DAT CRANK YO.

I've not seen Fury Road.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »
Ohhhh Tickles... :corn

Locked in 483...482....481... ;D

I liked Mad Max a lot. Is it Oscar-worthy acting with a deep and intricate storyline? No. But I think it was some of the finest use of practical effects the industry has seen this decade, a really fun, adrenaline-heavy ride with some interesting characters, an even more interesting world/environment with a badass lead protagonist (and secondary, Furiosa for the winnings) and antagonist. The movie clearly wasn't for you, Tick. I'm kind of surprised you focused on Hardy's acting though. I thought he was fine for the character. Perhaps you didn't realize that (at least this rendition) Max was meant to be a very minimalistic character? I mean, not that I'm trying to convince you otherwise, if you thought he sucked then that's that, but the guy was all physicality in his acting, both in expression and movement; he had less lines than most of the secondary characters for crying out loud.

Seems like you're trying a bit too hard to air your laundry...and are awkwardly mad over it. (The guideline comment is so over the top..Shit, use me as a guideline all you want and don't watch any of the movies I do. No sweat off my sack). Anyway...I'm with the others in that this thread is kind of in limbo. I don't think it needed it's own thread; could've easily just been a slew of comments in the 'last movie seen' thread. Also not really sure what to say myself as far as random comments go...I got nothin' right now.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 05:47:28 PM »
Wow, Tio...a bit of an over analytical summation of my thoughts. I'm not trolling? I truly didn't like it and I gave my honest opinion. I didn't set this thread up to be the Mad Max thread. Io just wanted a thread to pop into to vent positive or negative on movies I've seen. Sorry if it's  a "EPIC FAIL"
What evs...I can live with that.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 05:48:33 PM »
And locked why?   ::)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 06:54:17 PM »
Er...I'm not sure how it was over-analytical, but that'd be par the course for me. Hell, I didn't even type that much at all (especially when it comes to me given that I usually type a few paragraphs per post  :lol ), and I commented even less about your own thoughts (just the jab about you using anyone who likes the film's opinion as a way to avoid films that they like). Even so, you say that as if me over-analyzing your thoughts is a bad thing or like it's offensive...if you don't want your thoughts discussed (or analyzed, as another way of looking at it, 'over' or not), I don't know why you'd post at all. I meant nothing offensive and the lock comment was completely joking, hence the big-ass winky-smiley. (I mean, it's actually not winking in the smiley but it is in the 'text-smiley' to make it...Hmm) I never said you were trolling at all, nor did I imply anything close to it. I didn't call it an epic fail, either. That's a lot of presumptions and stuffing words in my mouth, though.  :huh:

RIP DTP.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 07:28:09 PM »
Max Rockatansky has not been the main character of a Mad Max movie since the very first Mad Max. The Road Warrior, Beyond Thunderdome, and Fury Road portray him a wanderer who finds himself in other people's problems and helps them.

That being said, Mad Max: Fury Road is one of the finest pieces of cinema of 2015.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:34:34 PM by Accelerando »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 07:54:54 PM »
I know what you mean and even agree, but damn son, if the dude's the titular character in all three four films and he's a main focus in all three films, which he is, he's the fuckin' main character.  :lol It's semantics and nit-picking ten fold beyond that point.

Tick, you went and created a Fury Road thread and didn't even know it!  :lol
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:21:51 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 08:15:47 PM »
And in my true form, I'll battle to the death! Fury Road fuckin blows and I don't care what anyone says! LETS GO METS!!!MORE BOURBON!!!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 08:16:02 PM »
There are four Mad Max films  ;) And the settlers in The Road Warrior, Aunty Entity in Beyond Thunderdome, and Furiosa in Fury Road are technically the main characters in all three sequels of Mad Max. It's a weird but incredibly effective device George Miller has mastered.

Fun Fact the villain in the first Mad Max movie, Toecutter

is Hugh Keays-Byrne, who is

Immortan Joe in Fury Road .

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
Misspoke, yeah four, I'll edit that. I knew about Toecutter a while back, and yeah that's fuckin' awesome; I freaked out when I first heard about it before the movie came out. Again, I agree about the 'actual' main characters and the plot/storytelling device used by Miller, and yeah it's great; I'm just being facetious for the most part. It is cool though, for sure. Great series, I grew up with them and they kind of got me into my now apocalyptic-genre-addicted self.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 02:22:13 AM »
Like usually when this happens, I can understand not liking the movie. But I'm having a hard time grasping "fucking suck ass! worst movie evur!". As far as I can tell, you haven't given any reason for why you don't like it, other than "Tom Hardy sucks". By now, seeing the movie and finding to be overhyped is completely understandable, but to hate it that much? Are you offended by sand or something?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 05:22:59 AM »
Saw Mad Max a couple of days ago and yea i'm not really sure about all the hype surrounding it. Some really cool action scenes but other than that I didn't find much joy in the movie.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 05:32:31 AM »
Mad Max is definitely up there in my top5 movies of the year, but I'm a big action fan, so the movie was right up my alley. I know a few people who have criticized the movie for really weird reasons. If you are a fan of action films, I don't see how you could not like it, it's some of the best action on screen since maybe The Matrix in '99, just pure chaos. If you aren't a fan of action films, then why bother with the movie in the first place? The main reason the movie is so beloved is because in an age with shaky cam action scenes, over reliance on CGI and the bloodless PG13 action, we get an action film in the spirit of the 80s and 90s with blood, real stunts and real explosions. If you're going into Mad Max expecting a deep philosophical movie, then I'd say you were misguided to begin with.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 05:49:38 AM »
Like usually when this happens, I can understand not liking the movie. But I'm having a hard time grasping "fucking suck ass! worst movie evur!". As far as I can tell, you haven't given any reason for why you don't like it, other than "Tom Hardy sucks". By now, seeing the movie and finding to be overhyped is completely understandable, but to hate it that much? Are you offended by sand or something?
No, I live next to the shore! I'm lucky! I love sand!
What I don't like is a movie that lasts over 2 hours with no plot, no storyline, bad acting, and nothing more than people driving through a desert while shit blows up. I'm NOT trying to be dramatic, this truly was one of the least entertaining movies I've ever seen and I'll stand by that sentiment. If you liked it then really, who gives a shit what I think?
I hope you all enjoy Max2!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 06:05:00 AM »
I like love a good action movie, but a good action movie would be say, Die Hard, or Lethal Weapon. Movies that have a story.
So why did I watch Mad Max? Well because I had heard it was amazing! The reviews were awesome! It was 1.50 at the Redbox so why not?
In the end, my wife, my 15 year old daughter and myself struggled mightily to get to the end.

Please someone talk about another movie!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 06:10:55 AM »
Mad Max Fury Road has a fairly simple plot, but so does many of the great action movies. Two of my favorite action movies of all time are Predator and Die Hard. Predator - A group of military are caught in a cat and mouse game with an unknown creature in the jungle. Die Hard - terrorists invade a building because they want money and Bruce Willis has to stop them. In contrast, Mad Max Fury Road - Max helps a group of women escape the terror of the leader of a gang/cult.

Sure, some exceptions like Terminator 2 or The Matrix has more things going on and more layers, but for the most part a lot of action movies have very simple plots.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 09:52:48 AM »
The funny thing is no one seams to be able to comprehend how someone could possibly find this movie awful. Conversely I find it extremely hard to believe anyone could feel this was one of the best movies of 2015!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 10:01:35 AM »
The funny thing is no one seams to be able to comprehend how someone could possibly find this movie awful. Conversely I find it extremely hard to believe anyone could feel this was one of the best movies of 2015!

Some people like Star Wars ! :neverusethis:

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »

I'm not one of them

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 11:42:47 AM »

I'm not one of them

:hifive:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 01:43:21 PM »
 :corn

RIP DTP.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 04:11:26 PM »
:corn
Don't you hate movie popcorn these days? It's awful tasteless crap that they squirt nasty butter oil on it as if it helps! You would think with the movie you spend for a movie and a 10 dollar bucket of popcorn they can do better than that!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 04:31:05 PM »
I don't do popcorn. I prefer Ice Cream :)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 05:28:28 PM »
I don't do popcorn. I prefer Ice Cream :)
Definitely better off!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 01:35:37 AM »
No butter oil here in Sweden, but we usually have different spices you can choose from. I usually don't eat anything during movies when I'm at the theater, but my sister usually gets the popcorn, and it's freakin' delicious.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 05:11:08 AM »
No butter oil here in Sweden, but we usually have different spices you can choose from. I usually don't eat anything during movies when I'm at the theater, but my sister usually gets the popcorn, and it's freakin' delicious.
That's awesome! And they probably don't gauge you 10 bucks for a bucket!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 05:33:53 AM »
Not only was I not that fussed with Mad Max, I don't like a single other movie named by anyone in this thread so far, except Fight Club.

Mad Max had incredible action and effects, and I was fine with the plot and the way it progressed, though I think they blew their load before the finale. That last chase didn't have the spark that the earlier ones did.

It also had, for the most part, terrible acting and terrible dialogue. As in, despite the quality of the action, I felt embarrassed to have suggested that me and my friend go and see it, they were so bad. If fire and fast cars is all you need to consider a movie brilliant, whatever. I need more than that.

Also, you can try and justify Max as a "minimalistic" character, but I'll be fucked if I'll willingly sit through a movie twice in which the main character literally grunts like an ape in numerous scenes.