Author Topic: American Horror Story Hotel  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
American Horror Story Hotel
« on: October 12, 2015, 08:24:17 AM »
Anyone watching this season?

I'm giving it a chance even though I didn't bother watching the Freak Show finale. I thought the first episode was pretty shitty. I didn't really get everything that was going on. I found the Lady Gaga foursome to be pretty dumb and unnecessary (not to mention not even the slightest bit sexy). I didn't really understand the point of it other than to see how far they could push the envelope on regular TV.

I'm afraid that because the show has taken a lot of flack of S3 and S4 not being "horror" enough, the writers are going to overdue it this time around. I don't really have high hopes this season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: American Horror Story Hotel
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 02:01:21 PM »
I've bowed out of the AHS experiment. Season 1 was incredible and IMO it has deteriorated bit by bit ever since. I forced myself to watch the last few episodes of 'Freak Show' just because.....and at this point in my life the spare time I have to watch shows has to be carefully regulated to make sure it's worth it and AHS doesn't make the cut.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 03:43:45 PM »
This show has been a joke since Season 3. S2 was even a huge step down from S1, but it wasn't horrible. Since then though, in my opinion, it's been incredible laughable at times. Not just the lack of an actual 'horror story' that has any kind of cohesiveness (except the all too simple "OH! LET'S THROW IN CHARACTERS AND TINY HOMAGES TO PAST SEASONS". That's just...too damn easy), but the direction, the music (especially this...I loved the music in S1), the cinematography. It's all horrible. That said, I still wanted to see if I was right in assuming it'll just keep on shitting itself. Yep. Other than boredom, I'm not sure why I even tuned in to the first episode... That's that! AHS: Proving that anthology series are REALLY tough to pull off. (And arguably S2 of True Detective although I want to kick myself in the balls for even making that comparison...S2 of TD was a step down but compared to this shit it's the epitome of artwork and film) Honestly, I should've known what they were going for whenever they announced that Lady Gaga, on a whim, wantd to be on the show and BOOM "Kay! You're the frontrunner!".  :lol Wowee... I did want to give her a chance at least. But that's gone too. Graet job being edgy!  :| It sucks, truly; I was so damn excited after S1 ended and thought of all the possibilities and with each season I was just left thinking "what the fucking fuck are they doing"?

Anyway, long answer long: Nope. Not watching the season. Or the series anymore. That's alright, tons of other great TV series; I just wished this would've been one of them.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 06:36:03 AM »
The wife and I watched the premier last night. I thought it was really good. It looks like it will definitely be better than the last two seasons. I've never loved the show and it definitely has it's flaws but it entertaining most of the time.  There is definitely a lot more horror this time around.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 07:18:48 AM »
Okay. I'll admit. Episode two was actually really awesome. Super dark and twisted. Had to look away and curse loudly during a few scenes. Also, the Lady Gaga foursome scene I ripped on makes total sense now.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 10:35:50 AM »
Made it half way through the second episode and we're giving up on the show and series in general. I'm all for sex and all that, but there NO substance to the story or any of the characters. And Lady Gaga seems just like a ploy to get people to watch.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 11:02:23 AM »
Did you get to the part with the glass coffins?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 12:01:19 PM »
I saw the part with the kids. Our DVR screwed up and cut after an hour or so.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 12:22:50 PM »
Made it half way through the second episode and we're giving up on the show and series in general. I'm all for sex and all that, but there NO substance to the story or any of the characters. And Lady Gaga seems just like a ploy to get people to watch.
Exactly what my wife and I did.  Watched an hour into the 2nd episode, started to think "ugh another half hour of this?  Why are we even watching this?  It's not entertaining, it's just a series of scenes meant to shock you in some way with no plot"

I think the idea of AHS is way better than the execution has been for at least a couple seasons.  It's just so aimless.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 12:28:58 PM »
it's just a series of scenes meant to shock you in some way with no plot"

This. first season was great....had an interesting story and was just haunting to watch. Second season was alright....still tried to tell a story but even then the show was losing me towards the end. After that....it seems that it's been what I've quoted you saying above.....

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 12:36:55 PM »
Did you guys make it to the part where it showed the flashback to the hotel's construction? I thought it was awesome and set up a pretty crazy story. I feel like this season has the potential for a great plot based on the second episode's ending. I felt a lot like you guys until the last 15 minutes of episode two. I'll be watching episode three tonight.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 12:46:52 PM »
Did you guys make it to the part

I have to be honest....I have not watched one second of this season. I just made the call to not even start. Ever since starting school a couple months ago I've been limiting my television viewing to bare minimum 'must sees' being that expendable time is at a premium these days and this one didn't make the cut.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 01:45:16 PM »
I didn't see the hotel construction but did see the glass coffins.

Also, I don't know why, but I find Sarah Paulson wholly unconvincing in this show.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 01:52:41 PM »
I didn't see the hotel construction but did see the glass coffins.

The hotel construction scene really brought some stuff together.