Author Topic: The cat appreciation thread  (Read 52644 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The cat appreciation thread
« Reply #315 on: July 29, 2020, 01:48:36 PM »
My lil buddy Luna (my black cat) has to have surgery Monday to get three teeth removed. He's got some bleeding up there, some kind of dental disease. The vet said it's nothing to worry about, it's fairly common in older cats I guess (he turned 10 this month, hooray) but this poor guy has had health problems all his life and he's just the sweetest, calmest cat ever. He was born with eye and respiratory problems, then he's had a few bouts with mites and clawing the hell out of his ears, he had a really bad eye incident a few years ago, he was diagnosed with diabetes last year and started dragging his back feet (fortunately he's back to walking normally), and now this. I feel so bad for him :( :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: July 29, 2020, 02:17:35 PM »
Poor guy. That sucks.

Kinda sounds like Bill from Bloom County.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lethean

« Reply #317 on: July 29, 2020, 05:50:59 PM »
Poor kitty!  Hopefully this will be the last thing he has to deal with for a while.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2020, 01:07:14 PM »
My lil buddy Luna (my black cat) has to have surgery Monday to get three teeth removed. He's got some bleeding up there, some kind of dental disease. The vet said it's nothing to worry about, it's fairly common in older cats I guess (he turned 10 this month, hooray) but this poor guy has had health problems all his life and he's just the sweetest, calmest cat ever. He was born with eye and respiratory problems, then he's had a few bouts with mites and clawing the hell out of his ears, he had a really bad eye incident a few years ago, he was diagnosed with diabetes last year and started dragging his back feet (fortunately he's back to walking normally), and now this. I feel so bad for him :( :(

Good luck with Luna! How did you deal with mites in the ear?S

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2020, 01:35:37 PM »
Where I live there are plenty of cats that come running when they see me.

And plenty of dogs that go apesh*t all day.

I'll never be a dog person.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2020, 09:20:15 PM »

Good luck with Luna! How did you deal with mites in the ear?S

Thanks folks. For the mites, I'm trying to remember (it's been a few years). We had to deep clean his ears of course, but I think the vet gave him a shot every few weeks in the back of the neck, something that gets under the skin and somehow keeps the mites away, and after time they eventually went away. Three of our four cats have gotten mites at some point but that time was really bad, he was clawing the mess out of the back of his ears :( eventually he got better, but jeeze, that poor cat just cannot get a break. Doesn't help that he sheds a lot of fur too, moreso than the other cats, and is the only one who tends to get matted/knotted fur. But he's my favorite little buddy, he's the quietest and sweetest thing  :heart
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: August 02, 2020, 06:41:43 AM »
Thanks. We've been chasing down a problem with out cat for about a year. She started itching at her face causing bleeding on her ears, above her eyes, and chin. They first said it was mites, but now they thing she has developed an allergy so she gets a steroid shot every month.

Let us know how the surgery goes with Luna.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #322 on: August 09, 2020, 09:43:39 AM »
Kattelox, how's your cat 🐈 doing?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #323 on: August 09, 2020, 01:57:26 PM »
My 2 little Monsters in our screened in porch today.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lethean

« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2020, 10:13:46 PM »
The one on top might be on guard.  The one on the floor looks very relaxed. :) Both are super cute.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2020, 07:25:42 AM »
I took our cat lily to the pet dermatologist to try and diagnose her allergy this past week. About a year ago she started clawing her face really badly she would be covered in cuts so I had to start taking her to get steroid shots, no big deal but the steroids can reduce her life span. I went for a second opinion and they think that it's a food allergy, great so I get her this expensive prescription food to try and while she seemed excited she now refuses to eat it. It's going to be a long couple of months :lol. I woke up and she was by her food bowl staring at my while flicking the new food out of her bowl

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #326 on: August 13, 2020, 07:29:19 AM »
I took our cat lily to the pet dermatologist to try and diagnose her allergy this past week. About a year ago she started clawing her face really badly she would be covered in cuts so I had to start taking her to get steroid shots, no big deal but the steroids can reduce her life span. I went for a second opinion and they think that it's a food allergy, great so I get her this expensive prescription food to try and while she seemed excited she now refuses to eat it. It's going to be a long couple of months :lol. I woke up and she was by her food bowl staring at my while flicking the new food out of her bowl

Save a little bit of steak juice and drizzle it on the new food. My cat will eat anything if steak juice touches it.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: August 13, 2020, 07:32:00 AM »
That's a good idea, I'll have to give it a shot. Lily is very particular for example she like tuna, but not just any tuna, she likes low sodium sunkist tuna, fuck everything else

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: August 19, 2020, 10:50:02 AM »
chonk

this is Daryl and he's approx. 2.5 years old currently :heart click to enlarge

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: August 19, 2020, 11:28:50 AM »
Daryl looks a bit like my Buddy

These two guys would be getting all the girls if they had a night out on the town

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: August 19, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »
DUDES NIGHT OUT!  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: August 19, 2020, 12:44:24 PM »
Gettin that pussy!  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #332 on: August 20, 2020, 10:22:28 AM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: August 20, 2020, 11:16:21 AM »
This could go in either the cat or the dog thread:

https://www.facebook.com/1250126515/videos/10212538738924033/?extid=AJRH6h2feLOs4ZWQ

Link leads to "Content not available" for me

Offline pg1067

« Reply #334 on: August 20, 2020, 03:51:23 PM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #335 on: September 01, 2020, 07:45:11 AM »
Yesterday was not a good day, but let me back up a little bit to better times.

My gf has been working from home since the pandemic, so we did something we've been talking about for a long time. Our townhouse is by no means big, but it's just the two of us and we have 3 "bedrooms" upstairs, so we did some work and turned one into a guest room. Only thing was we expected our primary guests to be cats and we contacted and began working with our local SPCA on fostering.

Although most fosters are kittens, our first one was actually a 10ish year old named Milo. He was a thin and quirky old man who stayed with us a month. He had a respiratory issue that regularly had him snorting, which was his trademark. He had a thyroid issue that meant he needed a small pill twice a day, but thankfully we've never met a cat before so easy to feed a pill to, he was a champ with it. Right before we returned him to the SPCA he started getting a little snotty, and when they took him back in they found he had an upper respiratory infection. The plan was he would right that ship and be up for adoption soon.

That was not to be sadly. He never got quite right and eventually the staff decided to do more tests and eventually determined he had cancer. We got the news at noon yesterday and were heartbroken. We're very thankful the shelter gave us a time at 5pm to go in and see him yesterday, and he was the same cat we remembered, not yet in any obvious discomfort. We spent a half hour with him, said some very hard goodbyes and headed home. He's set to be put down today.

I was 14 when I last had a dog pass, and am 34 now. One takeaway from that is I can't believe I went from age 14 to 26 without a cat or dog around. The other is that if Milo's situation is any indication I am going to be an absolute mess if/when something happens to one of our four cats.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: September 01, 2020, 07:50:56 AM »
Ugh that's sad, but it sounds like he had an enjoyable last month or so of his life thanks to you two.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #337 on: September 01, 2020, 07:57:02 AM »
Ugh that's sad, but it sounds like he had an enjoyable last month or so of his life thanks to you two.

Well it wasn't the last month of his life, as he's been back at the SPCA for just over two months. But we are very happy he was able to enjoy that time with us. And we're also happy he didn't get to the point of going up for and being adopted, because I can't imagine getting a pet and within weeks having issues that eventually lead you to finding out it has cancer.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #338 on: March 26, 2021, 07:58:48 AM »
My cat did something super strange today.... He's hasn't acted weird or anything lately, but today he went out on the porch and started coughing, then started to puke. I went to clean it up and in the puke was a legit full bone from a chicken wing. I made chicken wings over three weeks ago, and he must have gotten a hold of one somehow without me noticing (which escapes me), or he managed to get the bone out of the trash some how. I don't know if he ate it three weeks ago and it's just been sitting in his stomach, or if he stashed it somewhere in the house and just recently ate it. There was no difference in his appetite during that time either. The dude seems fine  ???
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 08:07:38 AM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: March 26, 2021, 08:32:46 AM »
Weird, but at least he's OK it seems.

Funny enough though, I woke up to 4 different spots of cat puke this morning.  It's very rare that he pukes and it was thick orange, weird.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: March 26, 2021, 08:46:26 AM »
*Enters the thread*

Cats are awesome and friendly and clean and virtually silent and walk they damn self and poop somewhere they can bury it.

Dogs are the opposite of everything I just said.

:ontome:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: March 26, 2021, 08:57:57 AM »
Not all cats, my cat for some reason stands inside the litter box and poops right outside it.  So annoying, I don't understand no matter what litter (lost count of how many I've tried) or what litter box (I've tried three), that's what he does.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: March 26, 2021, 09:17:42 AM »
Annoying but on the positive side it isn't in some random place in the house.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: March 26, 2021, 09:33:20 AM »
Annoying but on the positive side it isn't in some random place in the house.

That's true, can't recall ever finding a turd anywhere else in the house. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #344 on: March 26, 2021, 12:26:45 PM »
So, and this is a true story, I shit you not (pun intended):   I have a Boston Terrier that is about a year old.  He will eat ANYTHING (including his own poop if he feels he's going to get in trouble). Also, we have a TON of Legos in the house; my father in law worked for Lego (the American HQ is in my town) for almost 35 years and could get them at a discount.

So this week, the Bosty craps in the hallway.  I go to clean it up, and there, stuck right in the middle was one of those Lego heads and I swear it looked just like the poop emoji.  I almost wish I took a picture of it. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: March 26, 2021, 01:52:40 PM »
You definitely should have  :lol

We used to occasionally find lego in my dogs poop growing up but that was before emojis were a thing to compare it to

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #346 on: March 26, 2021, 04:40:29 PM »
Today I was reminded of my almost spiritual connection with cats. Also let this be a lesson to anyone who thinks that cats can’t be as loving as dogs. I’m currently working two jobs in an effort to save some money and build my career. Between both jobs I’m working seven days a week. This Sunday is my girlfriend’s birthday, so I took the day off. To make up for it I agreed to work a day I usually don’t work at my second job, which ended up being yesterday. My boss ended up scheduling me from 4-midnight yesterday in addition to my usually Friday 4-midnight. I work my first job Monday to Friday 7:30-3:30 every week. This means I worked 7:30-3:30 yesterday, then 4-midnight yesterday, then 7:30-3:30 today, and I’m currently working my 4-midnight right now. I also work 11-5 tomorrow, then I’m taking my girlfriend out to dinner and hosting a small group of of friends to celebrate her birthday. This past week had been more or less nonstop, and I also had a COVID scare that luckily got resolved without any need for quarantine, but it still added to my dress. I got out of work from my first job a little early today so I decided to go home and eat lunch there. I sat down and my precious Lady, who is super attached to me, sensed my stress levels and immediately came over to me and sat on my lap to calm me down. I honestly don’t know how much worse I would be feeling right now if she hadn’t done that, but that connection to cats, especially to my Lady, has been a life saver on many occasions.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: March 26, 2021, 04:43:00 PM »
Damn you are working hard, but I agree cats show their love, just differently.  They can sense things and will show it accordingly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: March 27, 2021, 05:23:46 AM »
 :heart Cats.

I like dogs as *animals* and I like to say hello to the nice ones and occasionally get hugs but I like most animals - I just don't get the Utter Worship some people have for dogs.

If they didn't bark - or were as 99% silent like cats and barking was a rarity - i'd like them more. But being in my home and hearing a loud dog barking literally gives me anxiety.

There is just no need for that noise.  :sadpanda:

Today I was reminded of my almost spiritual connection with cats. Also let this be a lesson to anyone who thinks that cats can’t be as loving as dogs.

Dogs are loyal - NOT affectionate. Cats are affectionate AF. Anyone who doesn't think cats are loving never met the right one. My neighbourhood is full of cats that come up to me

for cuddles on a regular basis - whilst all the dogs go apeshit at everyone and each other.  :tdwn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: March 27, 2021, 05:36:22 AM »
chonk

this is Daryl and he's approx. 2.5 years old currently :heart click to enlarge

I think the lasagne has taken care of that already.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.