Author Topic: DT-based tattoo  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Pitmosh

DT-based tattoo
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:40:27 AM »
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, so if this thread is in the wrong section, please tell me so.

Anyways, for a long time now, I've had this idea about getting a tattoo based on my favorite band.

The idea is to take the lamp from Systematic Chaos on my forearm. For those of you who dont know what I'm talking about, here is a picture of it.

I'm not planning to take the whole picture, but the lamp and the ants on it. For those of you who are experienced with tattoos(and those who arent), how do you think this will work out? If it doesnt work at all, do you have any other ideas that is a bit out of the ordinary(DT-logo is awesome, but I want something special.)

Thanks for your time and planning to have  a great time on this forum! :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DT-based tattoo
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:46:06 AM »
Since you are doing it on your forearm, it might be cool to have the cable that suspends the streetlight wrap entirely around your arm.  Maybe have it twist into some really cool design on the other side or something.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 09:00:08 AM »
I will forever kick my butt for losing that picture of the guy who had the Majesty logo tattooed on his whole back. Like, the whole back. It was insane. He posted it (on dt.net I believe) and people were like "duuuude, that's a bit much."
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
I only have one tattoo myself, so I'm not exactly an expert on the subject, but I would say that if this is going to be your first tattoo, you might want to consider starting with something a little simpler.  I'm sure a good artist could make that look really good, but if you wanted it to be exact and in color and everything, it would involve quite a bit of detail work.  You'd be in the chair for a while. 

That being said, if you're sure you like the design and you're sure you can deal with sitting through that much needling, I say go for it.  Just make sure you find a competent artist who is capable of making it look exactly how you want it to look. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »
I will forever kick my butt for losing that picture of the guy who had the Majesty logo tattooed on his whole back. Like, the whole back. It was insane. He posted it (on dt.net I believe) and people were like "duuuude, that's a bit much."

I'm 99% positive I remember seeing that on DT's Myspace page. The guy took so much shit for it  :lol :lol

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »
I knew a guy who had van Gogh's The Starry Night tattooed across his whole back in full color.  I think he said it took him something like a dozen sessions spread out across several months to get it all the way finished. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:49:31 AM »
https://www.dreamtheater.net/sites/g/files/g2000003226/f/tattoo2.jpg

:omg: He should at least get a free VIP meet and greet for that. WOW.....sure that felt great too......
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Pitmosh

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:49:57 AM »
Woah, so many replies in such a short time. You guys are also really nice! I like it!

The wire going around the arm would actually be pretty cool. Im not thinking every single detail, but a simpler, but still cool version of it. Have been thinking about how much colors I want and how strong the colors should be, but have had a little doubt that it is a very detailed thing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 09:56:09 AM »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 07:15:39 PM »
That's some Red Dragon shit.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 07:20:28 PM »
I knew a guy who had van Gogh's The Starry Night tattooed across his whole back in full color.  I think he said it took him something like a dozen sessions spread out across several months to get it all the way finished.

How long do you think this took?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »
... A significant amount of time. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 07:26:50 PM »
The Devils logo really ties it all together.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »

The Devils logo really ties it all together.

:rollin

Chino......I knew you liked AVATAR but man, that's dedication
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 07:32:27 PM »

And it's the wonky Majesty logo too. Ouch. :blob:

Personally, I would go with something other than the street lamp, since that was only on the special edition of the album, so you might find only a more limited range of DT fans recognize it until they spot the Majesty logo.

I'm not trying to deter you at all, just some thoughts. :tup If that image is what you want, go for it, and don't forget to show us! :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Pitmosh

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 03:55:49 AM »
So many funny and nice comments - I like it! Haven't made up my mind yet, so if you guys think I should do something else, I am all up for it. Though, I am more sure that I will take it unless someone has anything else to say.

If I do it, you guys will be one of the first to know! :D

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 05:57:53 AM »
I remember this one from the MP Forum. I always thought it was pretty cool if just a little obsessive.  :lol
You may find some good ideas in there.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Pitmosh

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 06:50:51 AM »
I remember this one from the MP Forum. I always thought it was pretty cool if just a little obsessive.  :lol
You may find some good ideas in there.

Oh hell! That would be cool to have! Though, that tattoo gave me som inspiriation. Maybe I can use some of what he used :p

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 08:43:19 PM »
I honestly don't think that kind of design would look great on a forearm, something about the rectangular shape on a sort-of rectangular body part seems weird to me... but I could be wrong because I'm just trying to picture it mentally right now. Consulting with an artist is always a good idea, but the bottom line is that it's all about what you want- it will be on your body forever!

(...says the gal whose Majesty logo is now covered up with a jackalope's ass.)
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:18 PM »
Majestic jackassalope?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 08:33:38 AM »
Exactly  :metal

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
I've got a few tattoos myself and the only thing I regret is getting one below the elbow where I can't hide it with a short sleeve shirt.  Just something to consider.  You may not think it matters now there's no way of knowing how you'll feel about it when you're 50. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »
The majority of things I was crazy excited about in my early twenties, would now embarrass me as a tattoo. Excluding my David Hasselhoff tattoo of course.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 09:17:28 PM »
That is such a sexy one.

Offline AlienWebguy

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 08:31:17 PM »

And it's the wonky Majesty logo too. Ouch. :blob:

Personally, I would go with something other than the street lamp, since that was only on the special edition of the album, so you might find only a more limited range of DT fans recognize it until they spot the Majesty logo.

I'm not trying to deter you at all, just some thoughts. :tup If that image is what you want, go for it, and don't forget to show us! :metal

Haha ya it looks a bit wonky because it morphs and stretches when I bend my back and move my arms so it never really looks spot on like the logo. Oh well the artist did his best and people still recognize it so I'm happy :)

Also if you're curious it was about 10.5 hours (7 and 3.5)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG7QfWLLczM

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 09:38:12 PM »
Im with Jackie (Bout To Crash); i think it's kind of an odd choice (also, out of all the neat logos that DT has). But again, I have two manga-based tattoos on my chest so... What do I know? But see, I truly could not give a fuck less what anyone else thinks of it; its for me, its on me, and its something that will mean something to me when im 80 (uh..if i live that long). So if that DT stop-light is what you want, go for it man. But don't be 100% about it... Be 10000%.

As for the artistic design of it, itll be tough for sure. It depends on the coloring, the exact placement, the size (unless you want it fairly tiny, i hope you have sizable arms), and especially if you want it to look as three dimensional as it does in the official artwork, that will be the really tough part and i wouldnt skimp on price nor the artist, get the best of the best that you can. That looks like a tattoo that could very easily end up being all kinds of screwed up if it isnt done with the utmost of attention to detail. The CG heavy design is going to be a bitch to replicate.

Cross your t's and dot your i's ten times over and make sure there isnt another logo that doesnt mean more to you and then its just a matter of finding a talented artist.  Otherwise, its all on you for good (tattoo removals are getting more advanced each year but still leave scars unless theyre covered). I personally wouldnt want a stop-light on me no matter the band but hey, its not on me.  :P  :tup

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 03:53:36 AM »
So what happened?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.