Author Topic: French train attack hero Spencer Stone stabbed in midtown Sacramento  (Read 833 times)

Calvin6s

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:32:26 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: French train attack hero Spencer Stone stabbed in midtown Sacramento
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 11:13:18 AM »
It basically depends on the motive, if we ever find out what that was.  I mean, the guy has been hailed as a hero for helping stop what would almost certainly have been a blood bath, but that may have nothing to do with him getting stabbed in Sacramento.  He might've just gotten into an argument with someone and it escalated.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »
Happened outside a bar and was alcohol related.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »
I'm not saying that it isn't sad.  Someone getting stabbed is sad.  But unfortunately, people get assaulted every day in this country, and if Stone wasn't something of a celebrity because of what he did in France, he would be just another guy who got stabbed outside a bar.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »
I'm not saying that it isn't sad.  Someone getting stabbed is sad.  But unfortunately, people get assaulted every day in this country, and if Stone wasn't something of a celebrity because of what he did in France, he would be just another guy who got stabbed outside a bar.
Except the fact that he isn't just another guy carries a high probability of being part of the source of the confrontation.

Not sure how to word this....but....if anyone watched his interview with Jimmy Kimmel it really isn't a stretch to think that there may be a chance his actions were a part of the equation in this encounter. Yes, what he did was heroic and took some BALLS! but, the impression I got from him in the interview was....as bad as this sounds.....he came of 'thugish' in the interview. Could have just been me but I remember watching it thinking to myself "this guys seems like a thug dickhead more than a hero"

Just my two cents.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:07:48 PM »
Agree with the above post, just because he did something heroic doesn't mean he isn't a douche. A lot of heroic people could be giant assholes as well. Not enough details at this point to form an opinion, but normally things that happen outside of bar are due one or more people talking shit while drunk. We'll see what comes out.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »
Also, even if he is an a'hole, that doesn't justify trying to stab a guy to death.

Video on the news now.  I see a ton of guys ganging up on him and him fighting them off.
I certainly agree with that. At the same time just because you do something heroic (using the new American context of the word here) doesn't mean that you get a free pass if you do something stupid. I have no idea what the actual circumstances here are, but generally if a whole bunch of people kick your ass outside a bar in the middle of the night, you probably did something to warrant it. If it were some anonymous guy, we'd all say "what the hell were you thinking!?!" His alleged heroism shouldn't change that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 02:31:27 PM »
If they were mugging him, or bouncing him because he was white (or whatever he is), then it'd be on them. If he shot his mouth off and got jumped by a mob of Asians because of it, well, that falls under the "what were you thinking" category. Again, no idea what happened, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 05:46:24 PM »
Except the fact that he isn't just another guy carries a high probability of being part of the source of the confrontation.

But would anyone really be expected to know who he is on a random encounter?  I read the news, I know what happened, but if he was sitting on my lap I wouldn't know him from Adam.

As for "drunk outside a bar", well, I've  been in too many of those; odds are he DID say something stupid.  Not saying he did, just that the odds are...