Author Topic: SFAM ----> DT 12 Ranked and Reviewed  (Read 19839 times)

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
Re: SFAM ----> DT 12 Ranked and Reviewed
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2016, 05:28:05 PM »
Number 7: Vacant
Lyrics by James Labrie

Ah, here is Vacant. This song is my least favorite song on this album. Remember that just because I say that it is my least favorite, doesn't mean I dislike it. This song is a really beautiful ballad which talks about Labrie's daughter in a coma. Just like Disappear, it is a really sad song, thought it doesn't make me bawl like Disappear does. Rudess and a cello are the only instruments present throughout this song.

Hey you, Hey you
I'm right here
Conscience fading
Can't get through

The girl's conscious is fading. Her whole world is slowly crumbling as she closes are eyes. She can't seem to get through reality.

Oh Lord
Helpless
Confused
Head swayed
Eyes glazed
And mine teared

We can see that her head is swayed and her eyes are glazed. Labrie's eyes are teared as he watches on helplessly at his daughter.

She's losing control
What can I do
Her vacant eyes
Black holes
Am I losing you

The girl is losing control and her vacant eyes are like black holes. Labrie is slowly losing his daughter. On that note, the song ends and the godly instrumental starts. Don't feel to bad about this song. It is still a wonderful ballad!
Glad to be back.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2016, 08:20:03 PM »
The Great Debate intro is just too good to ruin with all the soundbites.   Get rid of them.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2016, 08:36:09 PM »
The Great Debate intro is just too good to ruin with all the soundbites.   Get rid of them.
Agreed.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2016, 09:07:52 PM »
Done and done.
Glad to be back.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2016, 02:34:18 AM »
Train of Thought :2metal:

I love Vacant, such a good opener to Stream of Consciousness. Though sometimes I find it hard to compare it to the longer songs in terms of quality, but I probably still like it more than 1 or 2 ToT songs individually.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2016, 02:37:46 AM »
Vacant in Score is one of the most emotive things I've ever seen, James seems to be fighting back tears with every word.
Jatruccyundessgini

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2016, 12:17:25 PM »
Train of Thought :2metal:

I love Vacant, such a good opener to Stream of Consciousness. Though sometimes I find it hard to compare it to the longer songs in terms of quality, but I probably still like it more than 1 or 2 ToT songs individually.
I'm guessing Honor Thy Father and As I Am?
Glad to be back.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2016, 06:29:20 PM »
Yep, spot on, it's kinda close with HTF though.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »
Yep, spot on, it's kinda close with HTF though.
Honor Thy Father was a really good song. You can really feel how pissed Mike was.
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »
Number 6: As I Am

As I Am comes in at number six and isn't really surprising. This is a really heavy song as well as the whole album of Train of Thought and I love heavy songs. This albums contains one of my top five's of the whole Dream Theater songs. This song and Vacant is the only song that does not reach the ten minute mark. This is basically a song by John Petrucci dedicated to Mike Stone from Queensryche when he supposedly told John Petrucci tips on playing the guitar. He then has a big fat nice solo followed by a Portnoy solo. The solo is so great! Both of their solo's actually. Rudess doesn't get a legit solo in this song and he takes a backseat for this song except the part where he paves the way for Petrucci's solo. Also, this houses one of the most sickest Dream Theater riffs ever. Rudess starts of the song with the same note from Turbulence and the whole band follows suit.

Don't tell me what's in
Tell me how to write
Don't tell me how to win
This fight
Isn't your life
It isn't your right
To take the only thing that's mine
Proven over time
It's over your head
Don't try to read between the lines
Are clearly defined
Never lose sight of
Something you believe in

Yeah, this is the beginning of As I Am. He doesn't want to be told by anyone how to win this fight because it is his fight. Makes perfect sense to me. Also, he claims that it isn't their right to take the only thing that is his and he doesn't want anyone to take shortcuts or to read between the lines. And he tells us something really important that we should always take into our hearts: "Never lose sight of something you believe in."

Takin' in the view from the outside
Feeling like the underdog
Watching through the window I'm on the outside
Living like the underdog
I've been trying to justify you
In the end I will just defy you
To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fit your plan, Take me as I am
As I am

And here is the official chorus. Not too shabby. Do I Mike Portnoy's voice shadowing over Labrie? That sound is very good. Justify you and Just defy you is also cleverly written. To those who understand Petrucci, he extendds his hands so that we may take it. Those who are doubtful, Petrucci demands that he be taken as he is. He doesn't plead nor asks...he demands. A very strong word indeed.

Still
Running uphill
Swimming against the current
I wish I weren't so
Fucked
Feels like I'm stuck
Lost in a sea of mediocrity
''Slow down, You're thinking too much
Where is your soul?''
You cannot touch
The way I play
Or tell me what to say
You're in the way
Of all that I believe in

Oh man, I love this verse very much, especially the part when Petrucci says: "You cannot touch the way I play, or tell me what to say." To add the insult to injury, he adds a fantastic solo. Not much I can analyze here besides the fact that Petrucci doesn't like being told how to play. I mean, if someone gave me tips on guitar, I'd gladly take it, but I too would be offended if they told me how they want a solo to be played. I mean, Petrucci does well making and playing solo's, we don't need anyone teaching him how to play.

After that, the chorus kicks in once more then Rudess takes the stage. He plays some quick notes with his synth, not a solo mind you, and Petrucci gets ready to take the stage. When Petrucci first starts, there is no shredding and it is just a regular solo. As the solo progresses, Petrucci goes faster an faster until he is basically shredding like crazy. As you are mesmerized by his solo, it ends and Mike Portnoy takes the stage with an intense solo of his own and it jumps to the chorus right after that. After the chorus, there is a godlike riff as the song ends with Petrucci and there it is.

I mean, I enjoy this song, but there are days in which I get bored and it just irritates me. That is why it is staying at the number six place. The songs after this, never get boring to me and we see a huge quality increase as all the other songs are over ten minutes.

Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
Number 5: Endless Sacrifice
Lyrics by John Petrucci

I love this song very much and it is indeed beautiful. The only reason that this song is number five is because of the instrumental section. It is too long and defeats the purpose of this really beautiful song. I mean, it's about the band being away from their wives and kids because of Dream Theater and the distance can sometimes be too straining. Petrucci dedicated this to his wife and it is so sweet, especially the end. The song brings me in as the mood is somber in the beginning then comes the instrumental section. The first few sections I really don't mind, but after that.....yeah.

Anyways, the song begins with an acoustic guitar as the rest of the band slowly comes in. After some of Rudess' charming synth, Labrie comes in.

Cold
Lying in my bed
Staring into darkness
Lost
I hear footsteps overhead
And my thoughts return again
Like a child who's run away
And won't be coming back
Time keeps passing by
As night turns into day
I'm so far away
And so alone
I need to see your face
To keep me sane
To make we whole

His voice sounds so heartbroken. I can imagine how much they must miss their wife. We can see that the main character is lying on his bed, staring into darkness. Without his loved ones, he feels lost. Time passes on and on as he feels his sanity drip away. He needs to see the face of his wife to keep him from losing his sanity and to make him whole once again. Isn't it really beautiful? I also love the analogy of the child running away, never coming back.

Try to stay alive
Until I hear your voice
I'm gonna lose my mind
Someone tell me why
I chose this life
This superficial lie
Constant compromise
Endless sacrifice

Here is the chorus everyone. Petrucci changes to his electric guitar and the chorus is still going strong. He will try his best to stay alive until he hears her voice. He feels like he is losing his mind. Why did he choose this life to stay away from his wife? This is all a superficial lie filled with constant compromises and endless sacrifices, which isn't a good thing at all. There is a short instrumental break as the second verse comes on.

Pain
It saddens me to know
The helplessness you feel
Your light
Shines on my soul
While a thousand candles burn
Outside this barren room
The rain is pouring down
The emptiness inside
Is growing deeper still
You're so far away
And so alone
You long for love's embrace
To keep you sane
To make you whole

We can feel the tension within Petrucci's electric guitar build up as he is about to let loose. The lyrics are still touching and deep. We also shift to another point of view, the wife of the main character. The main character is sad to know that the wife feels helpless. That helplessness is like a light that shines on the main character's soul, while thousands of candles burn. The rain pouring outside adds to the really gloomy mood. The emptiness grows deeper as they are still far away. She loves for love's embrace to keep herself sane and make her whole.

The chorus repeats once more and then the instrumental section begins. Petrucci begins by riffing to start of the instrumental. After, Rudess comes in and the first section is a duet between those two. You, that is an absolute highlight of this song as I love their chemistry between each other. The beginning of the end of the duet is when Labrie plays a little jingle which makes my heart flutter. Dunno, gets to me evertime. After that, Rudess comes in with a synth as Petrucci riffs. After Rudess' synth comes a Petrucci solo then another Rudess synth, then another Petrucci solol. This is where I feel the whole song, the deep meaning of the song fades away. I mean, they could've stopped after Petrucci's solo right after Rudess'. But, even after the solo, they keep going at it. Rudess and Petrucci have another nice duet together and Portnoy ends with a tiny little solo of his own. Then comes Petrucci's riffs, then

Over the distance
We try to make sense
Of surviving together
While living apart
Striving for balance
We rise to the challenge
Of staying connected
In spite of circumstance

That's beautiful right there. I'm sure his wife would be tearing up while listening to this song. They are distant from each other and from that distance, they try to survive together while living apart. Even though it is really hard, they try rising to the challenge of staying connected. The only thing that gets in their way is circumstance, but they try to get that out of the way.

All you've forsaken
And all that you've done
So that I could live out
This undying dream
Won't be forgotten
Or taken for granted
I'll always remember
Your endless sacrifice

Another beautiful lyrical piece. The wife has forsaken a lot and has done a lot for the main character, she sacrificed her time and many other things for this main character's dream. He is boldly claiming that it won't be forgotten, nor taken for granted. Absolutely beautiful. He will always remember her Endless Sacrifice. Nice! After a few more riffing, the band ends, but.....they come in once again. Portnoy has a nice fill as the song ends in a bang.

This song has a deep meaning and it shouldn't be taken for granted. The only reason it is at this spot is because of that instrumental bit in which I think they went too much. Other than that, it is an extremely beautiful song. I love it!
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2016, 10:11:10 PM »
Number 4: Honor Thy Father
Lyrics by Mike Portnoy

Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God. It was soo hard trying to decide for this. I mean, it is so fricking hard, you know? I love Honor Thy Father so fricking much, I mean, I love it! Oh by the way, did I tell you much I love this song? It pains me to put this song at number four, but it has to be done. This is such a great song and you can feel the real hate written by Portnoy to his stepfather. I just love the heaviness of this song and it is one of the darkest songs you will hear from Dream Theater.

This wicked song begins with a wicked fill by your main man, Mr. Mike Portnoy. After Portnoy, Petrucci's riffing takes the stage and that riff is so wicked. After an instrumental section buildup, Myung has a part of his own as the singing between Portnoy and Labrie starts.

We're taught unconditional love
That blood is thicker than water
That a parent's world would revolve
Always around their son or their daughter
You pretend I was your own
And even believed that you loved me
But were always threatened by some
Invisible blood line that only you could see

Wow, look at how this song starts. I absolutely love the section: "That a parent's world would revolve always around their son or their daughter." That is extremely true and the blood is thicker than water part also is very good. After this verse, Rudess leads the short instrumental section as Labrie raps.

You took advantage of an outreached hand
And twisted it to meet your every need
''Gimme time to re-charge my batteries,
I'll see her when she's older and I'll bounce her on my knee''
Well listen to me you ungrateful fool
Here comes a dose of reality
You'll go to your grave a sad and lonely man
The door is now closed on your pathetic little plan

I love this part very much. His rapping is one of his best highlights. We can see that the stepfather took advantage of an outreached hand and twisted that opportunity. The "Gimme time to recharge my bateries, I'll see her when she's older and I'll bounce her on my knee," sounds really strange. It sounds as if it is like sexual abuse because of "Recharge my batteries," "I'll see her when she's older and I'll bounce her on my knee." The section, "Here comes a dose of reality," has had a highly controversial opinion between some of my friends. Some hate it and says Labrie shouldn't have even thought of doing that part while others say that it was perfect as it is. I personally love it very much. And the going to the grave as a sad and lonely man and the door is now closed on your pathetic little plan also is cleverly written and I love it!  :laugh:

On and on and on and on it goes
It's so easy to run away with nothing in tow
How can you ever sleep a wink at night
Pretending that everything is alright
And have the nerve to blame this mess on me
Never in my life have I seen someone
So Ignorant to the damage he has done
You're the rotted root in the family tree

Here is the chorus and it is still strong.  And, it is really easy to run away with nothing in tow. How can the stepfather sleep a wink at night, pretending that everything is alright? The words are really harsh, and sometimes I just wish Portnoy had written much darker lyrics which he kinda does during the last section of the chorus. If I dedicated a hate song to my abusive stepfather or someone I hated, hell, I would just work my butt of writing the song and be sure to slam that sunofagun in every way possible.

I tried your 4 bill therapy
I tried to make amends
But nothing could lure you out of your selfish shell again
Expecting everyone to bow and kiss your feet
Don't you see respect is not a one way street
Blaming everyone for all that you've done wrong
I'll get my peace of mind when you hear this song

Continued bashing of his stepfather. Mike tried the stepfather's four bill therapy and tried to make amends with him, but it didn't work out. The stepfather was still stuck on his selfish shell. He expects everyone to bow and kiss his feet and thinks respect is a one way street. The stepfather blames everyone for doing wrong and Portnoy will get a piece of his mind when he hears this song. Loooove it!  :corn :corn :corn

And with every passing day true colors show
And have the balls to blame this mess on me
Oblivious to the damage he has done

Here is another variation of the chorus and Labrie's scream is one of my highlights also. I grew up with Avenged Sevenfold before Dream Theater, so I kinda grew into Matt's screaming. I find sick pleasure in screams. We can see also kicks it up a notch by calling his step father oblivious and is more aggressive. I find that also really well written and I love it! You will keep on hearing me say I love it for this song. Why? Because I love it! It just fits my tastes perfectly.

Watch where you walk
Don't you dare cross the crooked step
Watch the way you talk
Don't cross the crooked step
["This is a regret that you make"]
["We're still connected"]
["This is a regret that you make-"]
["I want my family back"]
["-and there's something you take"]
["You can't have it. I'm sorry for you, but it's too late…"]
["Mistakes like this… You don't make"]
["Can't you see anything except in terms of how it affects you?"]
["You make some... And they'll get to you"]
["You don't love anybody"]
["I gave you money, I gave you a car, I took you in-"]
["It's not OK, son"]
["-but don't that mean something?"]
["A little…"]
["Do I admire people too much?"]
["No... You should do better"]
["That disappoints you…"]
["God damn regrets!"]
["You deserve to die alone for what you've done!!"]
["GOD DAMN REGRETS!"]
["Don't deny it"]
["You cocksucker, I know you're here."]
["Don't deny it"]
["I want you to know I hate your fucking guts."]
["The biggest regret in my life"]
["I wish you'd fucking die."]
["I've let my love go"]
["I'm your blood… I'm your family"]
["Is that you?"]
["You're not my family, not anymore"]
["The fucking regrets!"]
["When your own flesh and blood renounces you..."]
["What did I do?"]
["...you have no choice but to renounce them."]
["WHAT DID I DO?!"]

DON'T CROSS THE CROOKED STEP! Oh man, shit's got real! Now, is the instrumental. Really godlike if you ask me. Strangely, it has been one of my favorite instrumental sections. First, there is sampling and you can hear phrases like, "You deserve to die alone for what you've done," and all those nice stuff. My absolute favorite parts of sampling is: "You cocksucker, I know you're here," "I want you to know I hate your fucking guts," "I wish you'd fucking die," "When your own flesh and blood renounces you..." and finally "...you have no choice but to renounce them." It is just so heavy and so metal!  :metal After that, is an instrumental section. Petrucci riffs, Portnoy and Myung play while Rudess synths. We can hear the tension here and Petrucci's riff does a really fantastic job bringing the mood out. One of the reasons I love this instrumental section to death. As time passes, we see the section getting more and more heavier. It peaks as Petrucci and Portnoy have a mini duet then Rudess takes the stage. And I love it! Rudess plays with such anger! We can hear the keyboard screaming bloody hell on the stepfather! We can feel the pain and the angst! I LOVE THIS SONG REALLY MUCH! HOLY CRAP! I JUST LISTENED TO A MASTERPIECE!  :tumetal

Chauvinistic, heartless, selfish, cold
And have the balls to blame this shit on me
So fucking blind to the damage he has done

Oh man....this part is so epic! The curse words add on to the hate. Mike calls his stepfather chauvinistic, heartless, selfish, and cold. He has the balls to blame all this shit on Portnoy. How fucking blind can he get? Grah, just listening to this song turns my metal side on. After, the riffing by Petrucci continues as the song ends. Holy crap, I just listened to a masterpiece! It was really hard putting this song at number four, but the next songs are very epic and I enjoy listening to it. Be right back, gonna go listen to some of Matt's screaming.
Glad to be back.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2016, 10:41:54 PM »
As much as I dislike HTF, I can't deny that the lyrics are very well-written, and the sampling really helps you understand the emotions behind this song. This and SDV have, in my opinion, the best use of sampling that DT has done. The instrumental segment where Rudess slowly builds up a theme and more and more harmonies are added is also very nice. I just don't connect with songs like this at all.

ES is beautiful. The solos don't need to be there, but other than that I absolutely love it. I wish they would have made a slower, more lyrical instrumental for this song, maybe with some more synth from JR like in the intro and a great emotional guitar solo from JP. Something that may not be obvious if you don't check out JR's side projects is that he is actually very good at playing slower synth solos for ballad-type songs...the track "Headspace" is a very good example, second half is on the same synth lead he uses for ES.

Offline Gpals71

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2016, 10:08:02 AM »
I simply LOVE HTF too  :heart
I think it is one of DT's most underestimated songs.
On my list for TOT, it would be no. 2.

By the way.
You are doing an amazing job with tread.
Love to see how you interprets each different tracks.
Thank You  ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:59:29 PM by Gpals71 »

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2016, 06:27:07 PM »
Number 3: In the Name of God
Lyrics by John Petrucci

In the Name of God. Here is the song which people say is the best Dream Theater song from the album Train of Thought. Well, I'd have to respectfully disagree. This song is really good and the instrumental section blows my mind, but, well, my twelve year old mind can't comprehend this song no matter how much I look into the lyrics. This isn't like Blind Faith in which I can just enjoy the instruments and not fully understand the lyrics, but this song is like that. But, Petrucci's riff is one of my favorites as it is really dark and Mike Portnoy's hidden Morse message is also really amusing.

Anyways, this song begins with an acoustic guitar, but this doesn't mean this song will be all soft. Remember what happened in Stream of Consciousness? This song begins with a bang and Petrucci's god-like riff takes the stage. After the Petrucci-riff section, Labrie comes in.

How can this be?
Why is he the chosen one?
Saint gone astray
With a scepter and a gun
Learn to believe
In the mighty and the strong
Come bleed the beast
Follow me it won't be long
[/i]

Only the bass and the drums are present in this verse. Then, Petrucci riffs as the keyboards are added. After, there is a short instrument break and Petrucci comes full on with his riff starting from: "Learn to believe...." After the verse, Rudess enters with his piano and is transitioned to the chorus.

Listen when the prophet
Speaks to you
Killing in the name of God
Passion
Twisting faith into violence
In the name of God

Wow, pretty dark. Now, I'm not a fan of the "Killing in the name of God," bit because I'm Christian, but my religious view didn't affect with the choice of this song. The chorus is super dark as it mentions about twisting faith into violence in the name of God. Well, that doesn't sound too good at all! Then comes a short Petrucci/Myung riff, then comes the next verse with continued riffing.

After, comes another verse which talks about the tools of the devil and killing off the weak. The next verse doesn't really stick to me that much. Now, I'm not saying I don't like that part, but while I'm listening to that part, I try to comprehend all that this verse is trying to speak, but it doesn't click to me. As a matter of fact, this verse seems to go much quicker than any other Dream Theater verses.

Blurring the lines
Between virtue and sin
They can't tell
Where God ends
And mankind begins
They know no other
Life but this
From the cradle
They are claimed

Now, I find this a Labrie highlight. He uses his vocal range nicely and from this part onward, I get more into the song and find it more enjoyable. The chorus comes in once more, then something epic happens.

Hundreds of believers
Lured into a doomsday cult
All would perish
In the name of God
Self-proclaimed messiah
Led his servants
To their death
Eighty murdered
In the name of God
Forty sons and daughters
Un-consenting plural wives
Perversions
In the name of God
Underground religion
Turning toward
The mainstream light
Blind devotion
In the name of God
Justifying violence
Citing from the Holy Book
Teaching hatred
In the name of God

Oh man, shit's got real this time! Myung and Portnoy start off this bridge as Rudess comes in with a really mysterious tone. And this is where Portnoy's: "Eat my ass and balls!" come in. I find that really strange and disturbing....but really cool also! ;D Labrie sings this verse in a haunted tone as Petrucci follows with his riffing. We can see 80 people were murdered in the name of God which isn't good at all. Some kind of transition occurs as suddenly the song explodes with someone screaming the lyrics after Labrie and then comes an instrumental section.

This is where the epic instrumental begins! Petrucci starts it off for us as Rudess comes and follows. Then, it is a duet between Rudess/Petrucci and Myung/Portnoy. After, they play in a mesh of notes. You know, I absolutely Myung at this part. His bass sounds so soft and....I don't know how to describe it. The instrumental section wouldn't be same without Myung playing like he was. After, Rudess plays on his piano then has a synth solo while Petrucci rests. Again, Myung is a killer during Rudess' synth solo. After, Petrucci has his own solo as Rudess plays the piano in the background. He then joins Petrucci as the solo ends in a BANG! After, is the godlike riff once more, then the chorus.

Religious beliefs
Fanatic obsession
Does following faith
Lead us to violence?
Unyielding crusade
Divine revelation
Does following faith
Lead us to violence?

Another absolute Labrie highlight. I'm sure it means a lot and sheds deep light on a lot of people, but I'm not getting it. Still the instrumental and the tone of the song is real genius! After, there is one more instrumental with Rudess in the lead this time. Rudess' piano jingles are absolutely fantastic as the song slowly fades and the beginning of Octavarium plays. Oh, and don't forget the nice chanting.

This song is number three because of its instrumental, and basically everyone on the band. This won by such a narrow margin over Honor Thy Father. I mean, If this song was an 8/10, Honor Thy Father would be a 7.999999999/10. That is basically how narrow the margin was. Anyways, the next two songs are my favorites which I love listening to very much.
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2016, 07:13:56 PM »
Number 2: This Dying Soul
Lyrics by Mike Portnoy
[/size]

Aw, yeah! Here is the number two song, This Dying Soul. It is badass and I just love it to death. It is the second song of the twelve step suite and by far the heaviest. :justjen Contrary to some opinion, I love the ending solo to death, which I will get to as we go to the end of the song. Anyways, this extremely heavy song begins with a really heavy introduction. Petrucci comes in with a riff as the whole band is on fire from the beginning. You can hear Portnoy's kick being abused to maximum. The beginning introduction instrumental is also really good and fun to listen. Petrucci has a nice arpeggio, similar to The Glass Prison's arpeggio. I feel like the following instrumental section could have been orchestrated. Not saying that it should have, but saying that it would sound absolutely lovely with an orchestra. Anyways, we hear something very familiar.

Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while
Searching, Fearless - where do I begin to heal this wound of self-denial

Nostalgia, eh? Oh, wait, we're not there yet.  :huh: Anywaysssss, let's just begin analyzing the next part of the song.

Face yourself man!
Brace yourself and trace your hell back
You've been blinded, living lie a one way cold existence all the while
Now it's time to stare the problem right between the eyes you long lost child

Oh yeah! The man must brace himself and trace his own hell back. He has been living blinded, living a lie. Now, instead of cowering from the problem, he should face it like a man. I love how Portnoy included: "Long, lost child." Absolutely brilliant.

I wanna feel your body breaking
Wanna feel your body breaking and shaking and left in the cold
I want to heal your conscience making a change to fix this dying soul

And I love this part to death also. I mean, really. Who can deny liking the section: "I wanna feel your body breaking." I mean, it just sounds so badass. By being left out in the cold, shaking and breaking, that can wake you up to reality. By being harsh, that can be healing. Tough love, as they call it. After that comes Labrie's rap.

Born into this world a broken home
Surrounded by love yet all alone
Forced into a life that's split in two
A mother and a father both pulling you
Then you had to deal with loss and death
Everybody thinking they know best
Coping with this shit at such an age
Can only fill a kid with pain and rage
Family disease pumped through your blood
Never had the chance you thought you could
Running all the while with no escape
Turning all that pain in to blame and hate
Living on your own by twenty one
Not a single care and having fun
Consuming all the life in front of you
Burning out the fuse and smoking the residue

I mean, this is the second absolute best highlight of this song. Just like Honor Thy Father, Labrie's rap fails to disappoint and by looking at the lyrics for the rap, the meaning gets stronger and stronger. Basically, the life of the main character who's life was split in two, bya father and mother. He tried to run away, but couldn't escape. The pain basically twisted our main character as he began a killing machine, filled with hate and rage against the world around him.

Possessive obsessions selfish childish games
Vengeful resentments
Passing all the blame
Living out a life of decadence
Acting without thought of consequence
Spreading all your lies from coast to coast
While spitting on the ones that matter most
Running power mad with no control
Fighting for the credit they once stole
No one can ever tell you what to do
Ruling other's lives while the can't stand the thought of you

Another epic rap section. Basically speaks about the main character himself and everything he has done. All the resentment he had been holding. He passed away the blame to everyone while living out a life of decadence. This was the basically the lowest point for the main character as he let his actions get in the way. You can feel the pain behind all this rage.

Now that you can see all you have done
It's time to take that step into the kingdom
All your sins will only make you strong
And help you break right through the prison wall

The lyrics for this song are cleverly written and we can see that has been recycled on for a future song. Now that the main character realizes his actions, it is time for him to make the first step to mend all this. He has to take that step to the kingdom and instead of sin making him weak, he has to use the sin to make himself strong. That strong will, will help him to break right through the prison wall. The only question is, "Is he ready?"

Come to me my friend (Listen to me)
I'll help this torture end (Help to set me free)
Let your ego go (I can't carry this load)
You can't go through this alone (I feel so hopeless and exposed)
You'll find your peace of mind (Give me some direction)
You can no longer hide (Break out of this isolation)
Let humility (Openness, honesty)
And become what you can be (A healing tranquility)

The voice that we heard from The Glass Prison speaks once more. He tells Portnoy to come to him as he will help Portnoy's torture end. To do that, one must let their ego go as he will need help. He will have to ask for as breaking out by himself is nearly impossible. He can't go through this alone and find peace. You shouldn't hide any longer and let humility overtake you and become what he can be. Absolutely beautifully written. All of these are true.

Help me
Save me
Heal me
I can't break out of this prison all alone
These tormenting ghosts of yesterday
Will vanish when exposed
You can't hold onto your secrets
They'll only send you back alone
Your fearless admissions
Will help expel your destructive obsessions
With my help I know you can
Be at one with God and man

This section of the song is also very dark. We can basically hear Labrie speaking the words out menacingly and it gives chills to me very bone. The ghosts that torment you will vanish when you accept that they are there and try hard to stop them. Holding onto your secrets will only harm you and your fearless admissions will help expel your obsessions. With the voice's help, he will make sure Portnoy is at one with God and man. I have a hunch that the voice is the alcoholic anonymous 12 step suite that helped Portnoy to rid his addiction forever.

Now comes the instrumental section which I love very much. Riffing starts off this entire solo as the band builds up. Rudess then has a nice synth solo, which Petrucci takes over after a while. But, my favorite part hasn't started. Petrucci's solo gets more and more intense until the whole band builds up. They store it in, letting the pressure expand and expand until they can't take it anymore. The whole thing explodes as all the band plays furiously. In fact, I'm pretty sure Petrucci's guitar when lower than Myung's bass line toward the end. I don't think that they were trying to be flashy, but they were trying to express what Portnoy went through, by their solo. I mean, I love it very much and gets me really pumped up. Hell, I would say that this is the second fastest instrumental solo by the band.

I love this song to death and it rightfully deserves the second seed. I mean, the lyrics are awesome, Labrie raps like a beast, and the rest of the band plays downright amazing. The rap and the final solo gave this a huge margin and lead over In the Name of God, but still falls to the number one.

Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:53 PM »
Number 1: Stream of Consciousness
Instrumental

And.....at number one is the best instrumental known to God, Stream of Consciousness. Why is it number one? Come on, it is fricking Stream of Consciousness! A fitting title for the album Train of Thought. This has everything you could ask for in an instrumental and contains one of my most favorite John Myung moments. There is no lyrics to analyze here, so let's just go right in! Heck, this instrumental is in my heart, so I don't even have to play with while writing this write up, like I do with other songs.

An acoustic takes the stage and the song explodes with Rudess. Rudess paves the way as Petrucci's riffing comes right in. Familiarize yourself with the riff. As Petrucci riffs, Rudess comes in then fades away as the riffing comes in once more. Nothing really special here, but you have to love that riff! After the riffing ends, Rudess comes in once more and plays a nice, fun tune with Petrucci riffing. Petrucci and Rudess then have a nice duet as his first electric guitar solo comes in. After his solo, it is Rudess' turn, but it isn't a technical synth solo. After Rudess' synth, Petrucci riffs the same tune with Rudess, then solo's it. After, Petrucci himself has a solo which blows my mind. He is shredding like crazy as Rudess plays his piano. After his shredding, he kicks it up a notch and shreds even faster. I once saw him doing that live and was like: "Woah! How the hell does he do that?!" After his shredding, Rudess comes in with his piano and has a nice jingle, then changes to his synthy solo that we all know and love as he throws in the piano in there also.

After, comes possibly my most favorite part of the song. The band fades except Portnoy and Myung. Rudess then riffs as Petrucci and Myung riff together also. I ABSOLUTELY love the sound Myung's bass plays. I mean, it gets to me every time. It sounds really mysterious and it really messes with you. After that fun bit, Myung and Portnoy have one more duet as Portnoy himself has a nice fill, then comes that amazing bass sound, again.  :'( I love it so much. That part feels like my heart, soul, and mind has finally made peace with each other and had united once and for all. It brings a fuzzy feeling inside me and just opens my eyes. This is the part which I fall in every time I listen to and that part, gave SoC a number one spot. I have to give credit to the rest of the band members, especially Rudess. His sounds in the background add to the mood. As that part ends, Myung and Petrucci himself have a mini duet then it comes back to the Petrucci riff.

Ah, we have awakened from our journey. After Petrucci's riffing, Rudess comes in with his synth. The second time, it doesn't end, but Rudess and Petrucci have another duet. After that, Rudess takes the stage with his own solo, while Petrucci begins riffing. After Rudess, it is Petrucci's turn with his solo and I love his solo. I always find myself clapping to it as it is so catchy. After that, the whole song comes to a close with Rudess playing a familiar tune. After the band fades away, we can see the similar acoustic introduction that finishes this song.

How was your journey everyone? I absolutely loved and it rightfully deserves the number one spot. This instrumental has everything you could ask for and Myung is a real rocker. This album is really heavy and a love it to death. It has a special place in my heart.

Now, on to the next album!
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2016, 07:41:31 PM »
Octavarium

Octavarium is the eighth studio album by American progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater. Released on June 7, 2005, it was the band's final release with Atlantic Records. Recorded between September 2004 and February 2005, the album holds the distinction of being the last album ever recorded at The Hit Factory in New York City. With Octavarium, the band decided to create "a classic Dream Theater album",[1] drawing upon their various stylistic influences while trying to make the music less complex. The album takes as its creative concept the musical octave.

Songs: The Root of All Evil, The Answer Lies Within, These Walls, I Walk Beside You, Panic Attack, Never Enough, Sacrificed Sons, Octavarium
Glad to be back.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2016, 06:34:34 PM »
:clap:

What a thread!..

I really enjoy reading your posts Angela.. Also, we have very similar tastes.. Keep it coming!...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2016, 09:39:25 PM »

What a thread!..

I really enjoy reading your posts Angela.. Also, we have very similar tastes.. Keep it coming!...

Thank you very much  :tup
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2016, 09:56:05 PM »
Number 8: The Answer Lies Within
Lyrics by John Petrucci

Clocking at number eight is The Answer Lies Within. I don't know about you guys, but I feel like this album had a drop in quality compared to the other albums. I don't know why, but this album was really weak, but was saved by the big three of this album: The Root of All Evil, Sacrificed Sons, and Octavarium (not in order). The Answer Lies Within is a ballad which soothes the heart, but doesn't quite match my tastes. It is still a nice song you can go to sleep to. I once fell asleep while listening to this song.  :azn: Also, this song has a standard outline: Verse 1, Chorus, Verse 2, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus. Even though it was soothing, it didn't strike me as hard, but I never skip over any songs in Octavarium.

Look around,
Where do you belong
Don't be afraid,
You are not the only one

Do you ever look around? Do you ever wonder if you belong here? I know I have. Whenever I'm with a group of smart intellects who can do advanced math without a calculator and have an extensive knowledge of vocabulary, I sometimes feel like I don't fit and that is perfectly fine. Whoever thinks that, there is nothing wrong with you. You don't have to be afraid because there are others who go through the same thing.

Don't let the day go by,
Don't let it end
Don't let a day go by in doubt,
The answer lies within

And here is the official chorus. Cheesy? Nope! I've heard people call this song cheesy, but personally, I don't think so. It is speaking the truth, and although the truth may be cheesy, the truth is the truth. You must not waste your day. Don't let it end while doing something really stupid. Let a day go by with confidence, certainty. There is always an answer to a problem. For some, you will just have to look deep within to find the answer. Don't give up!

Life is short, so learn from your mistakes
And stand behind, the choices that you made
Face each day with both eyes open wide
And try to give, don't keep it all inside

100 years might seem really long in our eyes, but compared to time, it is but a single grain of sand, or a single star. Do not let mistakes push you down, instead, learn from it. Whatever choice you make, make it with certainty. Try closing one eye and try to walk in a straight line. Now, try it with both eyes open wide. As you can see, there is a noticeable difference. With both eyes, the depth of perspective widens and you are less likely to stumble. Also, be humble and learn to give. Don't take everything to yourself. Give, and make people happy. Live your life to the fullest. The chorus comes in once more, then it transitions to the bridge.

You've got the future on your side
You've gonna be fine now
I know whatever you decide
You're gonna shine!!!

Isn't this really beautiful? Normally, I dislike cheesy pop songs, but this song isn't like it at all. It is a real life message that can do really well and benefit others. The present might not be on our side, but we can be sure the future is. Life is all about opportunities and there are many, many opportunities to stand up when you've fallen. Think about Mike's addiction to alcohol. He himself claimed that he thought it was over, but he stood up and overcame the problem. Go forth with your choices and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. You are going to shine.  :laugh:

An instrumental takes place with no solo. It is just an instrumental with Rudess in lead. Petrucci's electric guitar can't be heard at all in this song, but that's fine. This song is really beautiful as it is and the instrumental section touches me. It is like that cherry on top of the cake or yogurt, or your favorite dessert that goes well with cherry.  :D The chorus can be heard once more, then the song softly ends.

I admit, I teared up during this song  :'( because of the beauty of it. Dream Theater doesn't have to be all technical, 11 minutes, odd time signature songs. A simple, beautiful, meaningful ballad can do a lot to touch your heart. Crap, now I regret putting this song so low.
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2016, 10:22:10 PM »
Number 7: I Walk Beside You
Lyrics by John Petrucci

Here is another poppy song which undergoes tons of criticism. I don't know how many hate comments I read on Youtube for this song. You know how much I hate pop and it gets under my skin. Well, this song, I can say that I like. It isn't my cup of tea, but it isn't like the pop I dislike. I dislike songs that use the word baby (like One Direction) and that talks about love between two couples. This song, although it might have a poppy structure, it still has an extremely deep meaning to it and doesn't have any words that make me roll my eyes or think is too cheesy. We can hear a clock ticking as Petrucci enters on the electric guitar as the band follows. This is another song without any solo's from any of the band members.

There's a story in your eyes
I can see the hurt behind your smile
For every sign I recognize
Another one escapes me
Let me know what plagues your mind
Let me be the one to know you best
Be the one to hold you up
When you feel like you're sinking

Have you ever heard someone tell you that they can read you just by looking at your eyes? This is what the verse talks about. Behind a smile, one could tell if the smile is fake or is genuine. We can see that the main character see's a very close friend or a lover that has a smile, but underneath it, it is all hurt. He tells her to tell him what is going on in her mind so that he may help her. When she feels like sinking under the waves, the boy will always be there to help her.

Tell me once again
What's beneath the pain you're feeling
Don't abandon me
Or think you can't be saved
I walk beside you
Wherever you are
Whatever it takes
No matter how far
Through all the may come
And all that may go
I walk beside you
I walk beside you

Ah, here's the chorus! Isn't it beautiful? He tells her that he will always be beside her. No matter what she is going through, he will walk beside her and guide her through all the trouble she goes to. Wherever she is, whatever it takes, no matter how far she is from him, he will always walk beside her. Now that is the true definition of true love or friendship, sticking with someone through thick and thin, walking beside them always. I can tell between a genuine friend or a fake friend. I have experienced both true friends and false friends. True friends always stuck by me, even in my lowest point. Through life and through death, a true friend is with you. Here is a very touching and true quote by Amanda Mcrae: "As we grow up, we realize that it's less important to have lots of friends, and more important to have real friends."

Summon up your ghosts for me
Rest your tired thoughts upon my hands
Step inside this sacred place
When all your dreams seem broken
Resonate inside this temple
Let me be the one who understands
Be the one to carry you
When you can walk no further

In this verse, I view ghosts as your problems. As you have more and more problems that you don't get rid of it and that you keep, more ghosts will latch on to you. The ghosts will make your progress through life harder and you will feel yourself weighed down, soon unable to move. The tired thoughts are ghosts that plague you and he is telling the girl to share some of her ghosts with her. That is friendship, because they are going through burden together. Some load has been lifted off the girl and is being shared by the true friend. A temple is a place of worship and when your dreams seem broken, go to the temple and pray. Praying will release problems. When she is tired, he is willing to carry her when she can't walk. Truly touching. The chorus comes in once more, then is the amazing bridge.

Oh, where everything is wrong
Oh, where hopelessness surrounds you
Oh, the sun will rise again
The tide you swim against
Will carry you back home
So don't give up
Don't give in

Isn't this simply beautiful? I love this bridge and I consider it a highlight. It gives me the same feeling I've had when I listened to the bridge of The Answer Lies Within. When everything seems wrong, hopelessness will surround you. Angst and darkness usually go with night, when it turns dark. No matter how dark your life seems, the sun will always rise. It is always a cycle, so don't be afraid of the dark! Embrace the dark as well as the light and always remember that light will always shine through. The tide always pulls to the shore and fighting against the tide will draw you away from the shore and possibly, to your death. Do not fight and just let life guide you. Do not fight against the tide and it will always draw you to the shore. Remember, don't give up when it seems hopeless, don't give in. YOU CAN DO IT!   :biggrin: :biggrin:

The chorus comes in one last as the song ends. You know, as I am writing this write up, my perspective on both these songs changed. I do not find it one bit cheesy and it is really touching. It can be a real life lesson and it might benefit you. Dream Theater changed my life and I love them very much for who they are.
Glad to be back.

Offline Gpals71

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2016, 10:03:05 AM »

What a thread!..

Agree.
Best tread on the forum  :D

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2016, 02:11:20 PM »

What a thread!..

Agree.

It's missing a bit of whahíbrido pickingant.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2016, 08:04:24 PM »

What a thread!..

Agree.

You give me too much credit!  :blush
It wouldn't be possible without your continued support and Dream Theater themselves for this music.
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2016, 08:04:58 PM »

It's missing a bit of whahíbrido pickingant.

Oh? What in the world is that?  :laugh: :laugh:
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »
Number 6: These Walls
Lyrics by John Petrucci

Ah, here is These Walls! I love this song very much, but sadly, it fell to Panic Attack and Never Enough. This song has a really raw feeling. In the beginning, we can hear Petrucci's distorted riff and that itself starts the entire song. After his sick riff, all the band comes in with Rudess in the lead with his synth. I also love Rudess for this entire song as his way with his synth amuses me and the sound itself is really sick.

This is so hard for me
To find the words to say
My thoughts are standing still
Captive inside of me
All emotions start to hide
And nothing's getting through

I'm sure you guys can all agree that sometimes, the words don't seem to come out and we are left speechless. We feel as if our thoughts are standing still. That feeling to be is like living in captivity. Your freedom is limited while there are many restrictions. As you try to speak and try to do something, you feel like nothing is getting through. You are trapped inside yourself, a prisoner of war....to yourself.

Watch me,
Fading
I'm losing
All my instincts,
falling into darkness
Tear down these walls for me
Stop me from going under
You are the only one who knows
I'm holding back
It's not too late for me,
To keep from sinking further
I'm trying to find my way out,
Tear down these walls for me now

We can see that the problems are these walls that are trapping you captive inside of yourself. Oh and by the way, this is the chorus. We can see that the main character is fading away, losing his instinct, going under the waves. He needs help, or he will go under and drown, but there is still hope. He needs her to help tear down the walls. She needs to walk beside him. The answer to the problem lies within. (See any correlation with the three songs in this write up?) The chorus itself is really catchy and well written by Petrucci.

Every time you choose to turn away
Is it worth the price you pay?
Is there someone who will wait for you
One more time? [x2]

Nice bridge. After that, it is an instrumental section led by John Petrucci. Hi solo sounds really smooth and enjoyable. There are no shreddings, no arpeggio's, etc. All it is a smooth, short solo which sounds very nice. Labrie then sings the chorus one more time as Petrucci's solo is played over Labrie's singing and I find it to fit perfectly. The ending is marvelous filled with Petrucci's riffing, John's bassline, Portnoy's hammering and Rudess' symphony like synth.

You know, I feel like this deserves the eighth seed. Ever since I wrote The Answer Lies Within and I Walk Beside You, my liking rose up a lot, but this song, it has faded. It doesn't hit me hard now anymore....but it is still a good song, no doubt about it!
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2016, 08:49:03 PM »
Number 5: Panic Attack
Lyrics by John Petrucci

Here is another song by John Petrucci. This time, unlike the other three songs, this song is really aggressive which I like! Yes! It also has one of Myung's best bass line. Ever since I listened to the isolated bass track by John Myung, I was all like  :o. This song is basically about a Panic Attack and is pretty dark if you look at the lyrics. But, I love dark and heavy songs and this fits the bill perfectly! Anyways, Myung gets us started with a nice bass introduction. After, the band just explodes and gives us one of the most heaviest introduction I've ever heard. And I love Myung's bass sound throughout this entire song. After, the band is silent for a while as Petrucci riffs, then comes back in loud and strong.

All wound up
On the edge
Terrified
Sleep disturbed
Restless mind
Petrified
Bouts of fear
Permeate
All I see
Heightening
Nervousness
Threatens me
I am paralyzed
So afraid to die
Caught off guard
Warning signs
Never show
Tension strikes
Choking me
Worries grow

I absolutely love Labrie's voice here. It sounds really dark and infected....Just by looking at the lyrics, it should be pretty obvious what this song is saying. Do I have to really analyze this part of the song? I think not. By looking at the lyrics, I only got a vague glimpse of what a panic attack must feel like. I have never experienced a panic attack myself, but man, it must be some serious shizz.  >:( >:( >:( >:( :censored :censored
Anyways, we can hear a chorus of voices and Rudess' piano playing after this part to make way for the prechorus.

Why do I feel so numb
Is it something to do with where I come from
Should this be fight or flight
I don't know why I'm constantly so uptight

We can feel that the person experiencing panic attack feels really numb. He can't help but wonder if it has to do with where he comes from. He also wonders if this should be fight or flight and doesn't know why he's constantly uptight. This is what happens when I analyze straight forward lyrics. I basically repeat what the lyrics are saying.  :rollin So anytime the lyrics are this obvious, I will just skip over it. After "uptight" the similar introduction riff is played once more.

Rapid heartbeat pounding through my chest
Agitated body in distress
I feel like I'm in danger
Daily life is strangled by my stress
A stifling surge
Shooting through all my veins
Extreme apprehension
Suddenly I'm insane
Lost all hope for redemption
A grave situation desperate at best

I love Mike's voice supporting Labrie. It sounds all the more demonic and scary. When I read this part of the lyrics, I had a bit of fear surge through my veins. It must be hellish to witness a panic attack, let alone experience it. After this verse, Rudess once again leads  as the pre-chorus comes in once more. After the pre-chorus, the chorus sets in.

Helpless hysteria
A false sense of urgency
Trapped in my phobia
Possessed by anxiety
Run
Try to hide
Overwhelmed by this complex delirium

I love Labrie when he sings, "Run/Try to hide/Overwhelmed by this complex delirium." His tenor voice fits that part well. After the chorus, is an instrumental section. But before the instrumental section, the similar riff from the introduction plays once more, but is extended. After Petrucci's extension riff, Rudess starts off the solo with his synth as Portnoy is furiously pounding on his double bass drum. Rudess' synth gives off the feeling of first entering a panic attack and Petrucci's shredding after, gives me the feeling of someone experiencing the panic attack then and there. After Petrucci's solo, he has a duet with Rudess. After the duet, the chorus comes in once more, then the similar introduction riff. Then, the song ends.

This song is balls-to-the-wall heavy. I enjoyed listening to this. I found every band member enjoyable to listen to. Petrucci and his shredding and riffing, Labrie's use of tenor, Portnoy's double bass, Rudess' synth and chorus, and last but not least, Myung's introduction and sick bass line. In the end, there is this really eerie sound effect which gives me shivers, but it's still good! This is a really nice song about panic attack, and I look forward to listening to it once again.
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2016, 09:03:09 PM »
Number 4: Never Enough
Lyrics by Mike Portnoy

YES!  :tup :tup :tup :tup Here is a song by Mike Portnoy and I absolutely love this song to death. I could just listen to it forever! I mean, it might not appeal to some, but to me, I absolutely loved it. I can understand why people don't like this, but to me, this song sticks to me a lot. Partly because it reminds me of Stockholm Syndrome by Muse. That is the first thing that always comes to mind when I think of Never Enough.

The introduction begins with Rudess' riff. Portnoy then follows with his ride, as the rest of the band comes in. You have to give props to Petrucci's riff also. Anyways, after the introduction, Labrie comes in.

Cut myself open wide
Reach inside
Help yourself
To all I have to give
And then you help yourself again
And then complain that
You didn't like the way
I put the knife in wrong
You didn't like the way
My blood spilled on your brand new floor

Ah, I love Mike Portnoy. The way he words the lyrics are just amazing. Also, I really love Labrie's voice here. It sounds like he is shaking in anger as he sings this song and it makes this song that much better. Basically, this song is about all the fans who ask for more and more that suits them. When the band gives it to them, they just want more, hence the title, "Never Enough." Who knew Mike could be so clever in writing these lyrics? I love the, "You didn't like the way my blood spilled on your braaand new floor!"  :angel:

What would you say
If I walked away
Would you appreciate
But then it'd be too late
Because I can only take so much of your ungrateful ways
Everything is never enough

And here is the chorus! Ooh. What would the fans do if Dream Theater walked away, never to make any more music? They would surely begin appreciating their music then, but it'd be too late. There is only so much people can take your sh*t. If you constantly rub them the wrong way and continue to annoy them, drastic actions may have to be taken.

Sacrifice my life
Neglect my kids and wife
All for you to be happy
All those sleepless nights
And countless fights to give you more
And then you say how dare that
I didn't write you back
I must be too good for you
I only care about myself

You know, this part is the absolute highlight of this song. The band is constantly sacrificing their lives for their fans. They are apart from their family, all to please the fans. They had nights where they couldn't sleep and the fights to give the fans what they want. How dare the fans say that the band didn't write them back? To say that the band must be too good for the fans? To say that the band only cares about themselves? The instruments get more ominous as this part goes on, especially Petrucci. Hell, I could almost feel Labrie seething, as he is singing this song.

Then, the chorus comes in once more and the instrumental section begins. Rudess starts off with his synth. After Rudess, Petrucci plays an ominous riff that makes me shiver. The instrumental section is nothing special. It is only a duet between Petrucci and Rudess. Even though it is simple, I find it really enjoyable to listen to. After that duet, Petrucci has his own simple solo as Rudess sings the chorus once more. The song ends with Petrucci's riffing and Rudess' synth as the song fades out.

Gosh, I absolutely love this song and definitely deserves to be above Panic Attack and These Walls. The sheer balls lyrics of this song is really astonishing and I can understand why Mike wrote this. There are some ungrateful Dream Theater fans.
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2016, 09:23:48 PM »
Number 3: The Root of All Evil
Lyrics by Mike Portnoy

Ah, here is the third to last suite by Mike Portnoy. This is the only song to not exceed ten minutes, but it is fine! I'm sorry, but I don't feel like this deserves the second or first seed. It is perfect at third. I'm not hating on TROAE, but SS and 8vm are much more appealing to me than this song. These songs are perfect, but in deciding this list, I went with what was more enjoyable to listen to. So, heartrendingly, I put this song at number three.

The beginning note is played by Rudess, which was the end of ToT. After, we can hear Rudess' synth, drums, guitars, and footsteps as this introduction progresses. The drums get louder and louder and is matched with Petrucci's riff. After the fifth riff, the whole band enters while Petrucci plays an epic riff. After the riffing, Labrie comes in once more with an ominous voice.

[VI. Ready]
Proud enough for you to call me arrogant
Greedy enough to be labeled a thief
Angry enough for me to go and hurt a man
Cruel enough for me to feel no grief

Here, we can see part of the seven deadly sins. We can see pride, greed, anger, and cruelty in his life and he describes how it's affecting his life. He is so proud that people call him arrogant. He is so greedy that he is labeled as a thief. He is so angry that he hurts a man and he is cruel to feel no grief.

Never could have just a part of it
I always need more to get by
Getting right down to the heart of it
The root of all evil has been running my whole life

The root of all evil has been running over Portnoy's life and it has been having a really negative impact on him. He never could have part of it and needed more to get by. That caused him to spiral down right to the heart of the root of all evil.

Dirty enough for me to lust
Leaving nothing left to trust
Jealous enough to still feel envious
Lazy enough to sleep all day
And let my life just waste away
Selfish enough to make you wait for me

We can see that he lusts (who doesn't?), no one trusts him and he doesn't trust anyone. He feels jealous and is so lazy, he can sleep all day, letting his life waste away. Also, he is very selfish, to make others always wait for him, as he doesn't.

Driven blindly by our sins
Misled so easily
Entirely ready to leave it behind
I'm begging to break free
Take all of me
The desires that keep burning deep inside
Cast them all away
And help to give me strength to face another day
I am ready
Help me be what I can be

Oh crap. I can speak for all of us here, but at one point, we are driven blindly by our sins, misled real easily. Mike Portnoy wants to break free out of sin's grasp, ready to leave his old life behind. And the official chorus is played. Desires burn inside him and he wants to cast the desires away and he needs help to face through another day. He is ready right now. He needs help to be molded into what he can be and that will exactly happen with our Mike.

[VII. Remove]
Self-centered fear has got a hold of me
Clutching my throat
Self righteous anger running all through me
Ready to explode
Procrastination paralyzing me
Wanting me dead
These obsessions that keep haunting me
Won't leave my head

Self centered fear has got Mike in a headlock, clutching his throat, cutting off his breathing supply. He can feel righteous anger running throughout his entire body, ready to XPLODE. He wants to overcome his addiction, but procrastination is paralyzing him, wanting him dead. All the obsessions won't leave his head and tries really hard to fight back.

Help to do for me what I can't do myself
Take this fear and pain
I can't break out this prison all alone
Help me break these chains
Humility now my only hope
Won't you take all of me
Heal this dying soul

He asks for help for the things he can't do by himself. Worded well. He will do all he can to break free from his addictions, but what he can't, he asks God to help. He can't break out of this glass prison all by himself. He is in chains, but he wants to break free. He is now humble and learns the meaning of humility and is ready for his dying soul to be fully healed.

I can feel my body breaking
I can feel my body breaking
I'm ready to let it all go
I can feel my body shaking
Right down to the foundation
The root of it all

Nostalgia~
After this nostalgic moment, there is an instrumental section. I love this instrumental section to death! It first is a duet by Petrucci and Rudess. Rudess starts off the solo for us with an aggressive synth while Petrucci is riffing in the background. After Rudess' synth, Petrucci comes in next with his own solo. After Petrucci's solo, comes in the chorus once more. After the chorus, Petrucci riffs as Rudess closes off the song for us. The song comes to a beautiful end.

I love this song, but quality-wise, it doesn't match up to the two next songs that go over ten minutes. Not just the length, but everything else about it: lyrics, instruments, emotions, etc.

Take all of me
The desires that keep burning deep inside
Cast it all away
And help to give me strength to face another day
I am ready
Help me what I can be
I am ready
Come to me
Take me away
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2016, 05:48:08 PM »
Number 2: Sacrificed Sons
Lyrics by James Labrie

Here is Sacrificed Sons! This is the longest song Labrie has contributed to date. I find this to also be one of his best songs next to Blind Faith. It is so gut wrenching to hear about the terrorist attack and it just pains me deeply. My heart goes to everyone who's life was lost in this terrible tragedy. Labrie sings this song so passionately and I get really emotional every time. Yes, I am a very emotional person and something small can reduce to tears in no time.

In the beginning, we hear sampling as they talk about a terrorist attack and the government hunting them down to extinction. After some sampling, there is a piano playing by Rudess as the rest of the band quietly enters. Labrie soon begins with this heart-wrenching song.

Walls are closing
Anxiously
Channel surfing
Frantically
Burning City
Smoke and fire
Planes we're certain
Faith inspired
No clues
A complete surprise
Who'll be
Coming home tonight

Wow, this hits me with instant feels. This talks about the terrorist attack. The walls are closing as the whole world is surfing their channels, wanting to know the news. New York City is the city that are in flames right now. Two planes hit the twin towers, making it crumble and fall, killing everyone inside. It happened in a flash. No one knew that the planes were coming.

Heads all turning
Towards the sky
Towers crumble
Heroes die
Who would wish this
On our people
And proclaim
That His will be done
Scriptures they heed have misled them
All praise their Sacrificed Sons

Labrie sings more and more mournfully as he details the towers crumbling. As the towers crumble, heroes die. As the plane hits, heads turn towards the sky. Who could ever wish such a disastrous tragedy upon us and proclaim that God's will be done? This song also gets spiritual as they talk about the scripture and say that it has been misleading them. I have heard that people are willing to sacrifice their lives to harm others. To this day, some Islam's praise their terrorists as sacrificed sons.

Now, is the instrumental section. John Myung begins this instrumental section as Petrucci and Portnoy comes in with a bang. Petrucci riffs and Rudess leads us and his synth blends perfectly with Petrucci's riffing and I absolutely love his riffs in this song. Rudess soon begins leading with his synth and Petrucci soon enters with a sick sound. After Petrucci's solo, he has a duet with Rudess. After the duet, Labrie enters with Petrucci riffing.

Teach them
What to think and feel
Your ways
So enlightening
Words they preach
I can't relate
If God's true Love
Are acts of Hate

Don't you love Petrucci's riffing here? It sounds so raw. The witness to this horrible terrorist attack asks if God's true love are actually acts of hate towards human kind which is really deep. The chorus then enters one more time.

God on High
Our mistakes
Will mankind be extinct?
There's no time to waste
Who serves the truth
For Heavens' sake

The witness questions if mankind will be now extinct. The attack was so raw, so evil, he can't help, but think if it is finally the end for mankind. He admits that it wasn't God's fault, but it was man's fault. There is no more time to waste to who serves the truth for heaven's sake. Wow, just wow. Another reason Labrie is one of my most favorite song writers. His lyrics are so deep and speak the truth.

After this, is an outro instrumental. Portnoy has a really nice drum solo which is hindered by the other instruments. His drum solo isn't heard really well like it is in Finally Free or As I Am. It still is really good. To end the song in a bang, Rudess leads with his orchestra synth as the song closes in a bang, bang, bang, bang, BANG!

This song is really hard to hear because even if it happened 15 years ago, the events are so horrible. It has a nice instrumental section and Labrie's voice is so....words can't describe how I feel about this song.
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2016, 06:08:43 PM »
Number 1: Octavarium
Lyrics by John Petrucci, James Labrie, and Mike Portnoy

Here is the best Dream Theater song on this album! OCTAVARIUM! This song is just mind blowing and contains many easter eggs that I enjoyed figuring out. I won't be going to any deep analysis of this song because I'm sure you guys already know. By any chance, if you don't know  :facepalm: go to this site: https://dt.spatang.com/octavarium.php. Also, I won't be analyzing any lyrics as the answers can also be found on the link I posted. I will just be analyzing the instruments and the solo's. Anyways, let's begin!

This song starts of with Rudess' synth and only Rudess synth. This plays on for about five minutes. That's it! Nothing special about it, except, I love that sound. Anyways, after this, we can hear Petrucci's acoustic guitar comes in with another Rudess synth. Portnoy comes in occasionally with his ride as the song begins.

[I. Someone Like Him]
[Lyrics: John Petrucci]
I never wanted to become someone like him so secure
Content to live each day just like the last
I was sure I knew that
This was not for me
And I wanted so much more
Far beyond what I could see
So I swore that I'd
Never be someone like him
So many years have passed
Since I proclaimed
My independence
My mission
My aim
And my vision
So secure
Content to live each day like it's my last
It's wonderful to know
That I could be
Something more than what I dreamed
Far beyond what I could see
Still I swear that I'm
Missing out this time
As far as I could tell
There's nothing more I need
But still I ask myself
Could this be everything
Then all I swore
That I would never be was now
So suddenly
The only thing
I wanted
To become
To be someone just like him

This part begins quietly with Petrucci and Rudess. Portnoy enters later with his occasional crash of his ride. This part sound really mysterious and I absolutely love the part: "Content to live each day just like my last." I dunno, I just love Labrie's voice. Nothing much to talk about this part, except that it really sets a really mysterious tone for this entire song.

[II. Medicate (Awakening)]
[Lyrics: James LaBrie]

To begin "Medicate," we can hear only Portnoy and Myung play. I love Myung's bass solo throughout this. After one round, Rudess also enters.

A Doctor sitting next to me
He asks me how I feel
Not sure I understand his questioning
He says I've been away a while
But thinks he has cured me
From a state of catatonic sleep
For 30 years
Where have I been
Eyes open
But not getting through to me
Medicate me
Infiltrate me
Side effects appear
As my conscience slips away
Medicate me
Science failing
Conscience fading fast
Can't you stop what's happening
A higher dosage he prescribes
But there's no guarantee
I feel it starting to take over me
I tell him not to be ashamed
There's no one who's to blame
A second shot
A brief awakening
I feel the relapse
Can't break free
Eyes open
But not getting through to me

Another mysterious verse and makes you wonder: "What has he been doing for thirty years?" After this section, is an instrumental section which always makes me smile. It is a synth section with Rudess and man, I love that part! He plays a really catchy tune and it uplifts the entire song and we can tell that the main character is going through this crazy relapse. Gotta love Mike Portnoy.

[III. Full Circle]
[Lyrics: Mike Portnoy]

Stanzas 1 and 4 of part III are entirely made up of musical and other references.
Sailing on the Seven Seas - OMD (song)
also possibly Seven Seas of Rhye - Queen (song)
Seize the Day - Theme of A Change of Seasons and the movie Dead Poet's Society
Day Tripper - The Beatles (song)
Per Diem - Latin phrase and business term meaning "each day"
Carpe Diem is Latin for "Seize the Day"
Jack the Ripper - Morrissey (song)
The Ripper - Judas Priest (song)
Ripper Owens - Vocalist of Iced Earth (ex-Judas Priest)
Owen Wilson - Actor
Wilson Phillips - Band
Supper's Ready - Genesis (song)
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - The Beatles (song)
Diamond Dave - David Lee Roth (album)
Dave's Not Here - Cheech & Chong routine
Here I Come to Save the Day - Mighty Mouse quote
Day for Night - Spock's Beard (album and song)
Nightmare Cinema - Dream Theater�s opposite in 1995, where they would switch instruments and play a cover, usually of Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers"
Cinema Show - Genesis (song)
Show Me the Way - Styx (song)
Get Back - The Beatles (song)
Flying off the Handle - quote
Handle with Care - Travelling Wilburys (song)
Careful with that Axe, Eugene - Pink Floyd (song)
Gene, Gene the Dance Machine - Memorable act on The Gong Show
Machine Messiah - Yes (song)
Light My Fire - The Doors (song)
Gabba Gabba Hey Hey - The Ramones (lyrics)
Hey Hey, My My - Neil Young (song)
My Generation - The Who (song)
Home Again - from "Breathe" reprise and "Time" on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon

Labrie is really nice here and it probably is the happiest part of the song, though this song's meaning isn't that happy. Gotta love the cool references! After this is a sick instrumental section and possibly the highlight of this song. First is a solo by John Petrucci and a duet by Petrucci and Rudess. Rudess lays down a sick jingle bells easter egg and Petrucci has a nice solo with his acoustic guitar. Love that acoustic guitar.

[IV. Intervals]
[Lyrics: Mike Portnoy]

[Root]
Our deadly sins feel his mortal wrath
Remove all obstacles from our path
[Second]
Asking questions
Search for clues
The answer's been right in front of you
[Third]
Try to break through
Long to connect
Fall on deaf ears and failed muted breath
[Fourth]
Loyalty, trust, faith and desire
Carries love through each darkest fire
[Fifth]
Tortured Insanity
A smothering hell
Try to escape but no avail
[Sixth]
The calls of admirers
Who claim they adore
Drain all your lifeblood while begging for more
[Seventh]
Innocent victims of merciless crimes
Fall prey to some madmen's impulsive designs
[Octave]
Step after step
We try controlling our fate
When we finally start living it has become too late

Trapped inside this Octavarium
Trapped inside this Octavarium[/i]

Oh yeah! This describes all the songs in order and Labrie screams, "Trapped inside this Octavarium!" I love his scream really much and is another highlight of this song. Rudess then enters with his synth as the Razor's Edge begins.

[V. Razor's Edge]
[Lyrics: John Petrucci]
We move in circles
Balanced all the while
On a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere
Colliding with our fate
This story ends where it began

Wow, isn't the meaning beautiful? These lyrics express how this cycle of the ending being the beginning goes on forever and there is no escaping it. It's possible that DT is talking about the fact that their career has come full circle, and now, after eight studio albums, they are without a record label again, their lives as musicians are repeating themselves. Just amazing. After this, Petrucci has a guitar solo to end the song. The guitar solo always gives me chills because...it is that amazing. It is not flashy at all, but the passion is real. The song fades out as the beginning of Root of All Evil is played.

Wow, this song is really....wow. It rightfully deserves number one for this album, number five for my favorite Dream theater song. It is so full of meaning and has a lot of highlights that make this song enjoyable to listen to!
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2016, 06:11:34 PM »
Systematic Chaos

Systematic Chaos is the ninth studio album by American progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater. Released on June 4, 2007 in the United Kingdom and June 5, 2007 in the United States, Systematic Chaos was the band's first release through Roadrunner Records, which was sold to their previous label Atlantic Records, through which the band had released their previous studio album Octavarium (2005). The album was recorded from September 2006 to February 2007 at Avatar Studios in New York City, after the band's first break from summer touring in ten years. The lyrics of the album were written by John Petrucci, James LaBrie, and Mike Portnoy about fictional, political, and personal topics, respectively.[1]

The album peaked in the top twenty in eight countries' sales charts; in addition, the album peaked at the nineteenth position on the Billboard 200, making it the highest peaking Dream Theater album in the United States[2] until the release of Black Clouds & Silver Linings (2009), which debuted at the sixth position.[3] Critical reception of the album was generally positive; Jon Eardley from MetalReview.com called the band, "arguably the most consistent band throughout the entire progressive rock/metal industry".[4]

Dream Theater promoted the album on their Chaos in Motion world tour, which lasted a year and spanned thirty-five countries. The album was released in regular and special edition formats; the special edition included a 5.1 surround sound mix of the album, in addition to a ninety-minute "making of" documentary about the album.

Songs: In the Presence of Enemies (25:38), Forsaken (5:35), Constant Motion (6:55), The Dark Eternal Night (8:53), Repentance (10:43), Prophets of War (6:00), The Ministry of Lost Souls (14:57)
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2016, 06:44:32 PM »
Number 7: Forsaken
Lyrics by John Petrucci

Clocking at number seven if Forsaken! Here is the shortest song in the album, just clocking over five minute and thirty seconds. This song is about, I guess, a vampiress finding a man and making him her's. This song is a fun, catchy song and I enjoy listening to it ever day. I can imagine how fantasies can be created by this story. Anyways, let's begin. Rudess enters with his piano as the rest of the band follows. After, Portnoy, Rudess, And Myung are the only one present while Rudess plays the introduction once more. Labrie enters as Petrucci also enters.

For a while I thought I fell asleep
Lying motionless inside a dream
Then rising suddenly
I felt a chilling breath upon me
She softly whispered in my ear
(Forsaken)

We can see that the main characters thinks that he fell asleep, lying motionless inside a dream, but no luck. Then suddenly, he feels a chilly breath upon him and realizes that there is indeed a girl right next to him. She whispers in his ear, "Forsaken." Wow, way to begin the song!

Forsaken
I have come for you tonight
Awaken
Look in my eyes and take my hand
Give yourself up to me

She wants him to take his hand and to forsake himself for her, hence the title. The chorus itself is pretty catchy and I had fun watching the "Making of Systematic Chaos." And, there is nothing else to say about the chorus....so, moving on!

I waited painfully
For night to fall again
Trying to silence the fear within me
Out of an ivory mist
I felt a stinging kiss
And saw a crimson stain on her lips
I have to know your name
Where have I seen your face before?
My dear one don't you be afraid

Verse 2. It gets more and more interesting! We can see that he wants to see her again, that's why he is waiting painfully. He just can't wait anymore until night comes. She appears once more in an ivory mist and bites her victim, with a kiss. He feels a stinging kiss as a result and see's blood smeared on her lips. He wants to know her name and asks where he has seen her. The vampiress responds with: "My dear one don't you be afraid." I don't know why, but this song gives me chills every day. After the second verse, the chorus is played.

Take me far away
Close your eyes
And hold your breath
To the ends of the earth

He wants to be with her now. He wants her to take him far away and she asks that he closes and holds his breath to the ends of the earth. This has two possible meanings. They can either go far way, to the ends of the earth, or she kills him. Either way, after this bridge, Petrucci has a solo. It's not his best, but it is really relevant and I enjoy listening to it. As Petrucci finishes his solo, he extends the sound as Labrie sings: "Forsakeeeeeeeeeeen!" After, the chorus is played once more as Rudess finishes the song with the solo he began with.
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2016, 07:00:50 PM »
Number 6: Prophets of War
Lyrics by James Labrie

Clocking at number six is Prophets of War. You know, I love analyzing Labrie's lyrics because he tends to write political lyrics. That is no problem for me as it has brought nothing but up's. Prophets of War is a play on word which I thought was pretty clever. It talks about possible ulterior motives to the Iraq War, while remaining in the middle. I love Portnoy's vocals here as it is possibly the best Portnoy vocal usage ever! The song begins with Rudess and Labrie. Myung and Portnoy then come in and finally, Petrucci.

It burns deep down inside of me,
We have ourselves to blame.
Not questioning, accepted as the truth.
Debate this fight it's just cause
The facts do not support theirs
To liberate a people
And rid them of tyrant rule

Well then, already hitting us with cryptic lyrics huh>  :justjen I only figured out parts of this song. We know that there are a people who are under a tyrant rule and the main goal is to liberate them. The cause of the war burns deep inside the main character and blames no one but himself.

Is it time to make a change?
Are we closer than before?
Can we help them break away?
Are we profiting from war?
It's time to make a change.

Here is the chorus of the song. Questions are going through their head: "Is it time to make a change? Are we closer than before?" Can we help them break away? Are we profiting from war?" Yes, it is time to make a change. They are closer than before to liberate their people of tyrant rule and they wonder if the war is actually profiting the nations going through this crisis.

Intrigued
Got your attention - deceived
Since the inception - our brave
Fight for what reason
Compelled
Can we clean up this mess?
The loss of loved ones
A perverse request
They continue the same rhetoric
These derelicts that profit
Win or lose

We can hear Portnoy singing the first part as Labrie follows up. This section was very amusing and I couldn't help but to laugh during Portnoy's vocals.

Time for change
Fight the fear
Find the truth
Time for change

The chorus is played, then there is chanting. The chanting is done by fans that Dream Theater brought into the studio. I thought this was pretty neat.

The only thing
That I believe
Will help us see this through is faith.
Pray they will forgive,
Forgive our arrogance,
So we can make it right,
Right what they have wronged.

Now, here is the bridge. The only thing that will help through the crisis is faith. As a Christian girl, I gladly accept and agree with this statement. They pray that they will forgive for their arrogance. By forgiving, we are forgiven.  :lol By being forgiven, they can right what they have wronged and make it right.

See you sweat
Unexpected, controversial
Get used to it
Things are gonna get personal
Your sympathy
A pitiful display you stutter
Your empathy
Means nothing if there is no honor
Responsible
Of this you are incapable
We implicate
Incriminate - Exacerbate - Too much at stake
Our Fathers, Mothers
Sisters, Brothers
Sons and Daughters
Forced
Perpetuating their ideals
A mindless act
To stay the course

Yes....yes! The use of Portnoy's vocals here are absolutely badass. His dark voice really fits the tone for this section throughout and this is the absolute highlight of this song.

Is it time to make a change?
Are we closer than before?
Can we help them break away?
Are we profiting from war?

Petrucci's clean electric and Labrie are the only one present. Labrie extends, "War," as the rest of the band just comes in, led by Petrucci's sick riff. Sadly, no one gets a solo for this song. The chorus comes in one last time as the song ends with Petrucci pulling the plug of his amp.

I know that I haven't delved deep in the lyrics and it is still pretty short, but I like this song very much. Portnoy's vocals and the fan's chanting really brings the mood for this song.
Glad to be back.