Author Topic: The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 3  (Read 11755 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 2
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 08:48:01 PM »
I feel ya- definitely been there before. Unfortunately I had a similar problem with Breaking Bad. I wanted to love that show and I really did love some of the things it did and some of the ways it did them, from a technical aspect and just in terms of quality storytelling, but I could never buy into the main character.

I never actually stopped watching (somewhat regrettably, looking back on it), but by the time I got to the last couple seasons I was just waiting for something terrible to happen to Walter White (not trying to suggest anything one way or the other, in case someone reads into this and somehow imagines a spoiler).
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 11:59:01 PM »
Yeah same here - I liked BB but Walter was basically a dick, and so the focus being on him so much detracted from my interest in the show. As a result, I'm so far enjoying Better Call Saul a lot more.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »
Just finished watching episode three on my lunch break.  I didnt enjoy it as much as the last episode, I guess mostly because I can't stand the mother, she just pisses me off, same with the son.  The episode was a solid episode though, the story that was told was great.  I do hope we start seeing some tie in for all the characters soon though, these HBO shows aren't that long (in terms of episodes) so I'd hope we start seeing less episodes dedicated to one group of characters.

The GR really did come off as being way more sinister than last season.  And that last part when Tommy asks who wants a hug was really cool.  I was waiting for something this season regarding Holy Wayne.  I totally didnt understand what or where exactly his powers came from/did, and while this didnt solve that, it does help paint a better picture of whats up with the holiness.

And this more and more FEELS lke LOST, which for me, is a good thing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »
I always thought that Holy Wayne's powers were fake, and it was all placebo, but I guess it was legit then?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2015, 11:38:43 AM »
I think by the end of last season I was starting to believe in Holy Wayne, for a couple reasons.

First is that final scene before his death in the bathroom, with Kevin. For his final favor, he asked that he could try to grant a wish to Kevin. Given the details of that episode (Kevin had just been telling Matt all about how he lost his family and it was his fault, yada yada yada), I always assumed that his wish was for his family to come home/reunite. So once he's got that in his mind, Wayne smiles this big old smile, almost of recognition (perhaps because he recognized Tommy? I dunno). Regardless, by the end of the season, what's happened? Tommy has come back and reunited with Lauri. Kevin and Jill are back together as well... Obviously they aren't all back together yet- don't know if that will ever happen, though I'm assuming it will- but the wish of bringing them all home is at least (sort of) fulfilled.

Second reason I tend to believe in Wayne was because there were a couple moments throughout the first season in which he shows very clear doubt about his own powers. Now that doesn't necessarily prove that he's the real deal (he could just as easily be crazy), but it does at least seem to indicate to me that he's not a complete fraud. If he was, I'd imagine he would at least be consistent about it and not run his mouth about not knowing for sure. Those moments just feel very honest and inconsistent with how I'd imagine a scam being run.

Last, and probably least, is the simple fact that all the people he hugs subsequently believe in Holy Wayne. Now obviously that might just be the placebo effect and power of faith. That's why I always wanted to see what would happen if he hugged a more 'reliable' character (i.e. one of the characters the audience was more familiar with). That's where Nora comes in. And she definitely changed. Again, that could just be the placebo effect. Who knows. For whatever reason I've just wanted to believe in him since the beginning. Maybe it's just me, like them, looking to believe in anything, in the face of so much mystery...

Tommy is another story. I realize we didn't see everything that happened to him after finding the baby in the bathroom and the disappearance of Christine, but I have some trouble believing that Wayne showed up at that exact moment, and then died the following day (I don't know the exact geography, but were they even in New York at that point? Would Wayne have been able to make the trip to the restaurant where he died?). My first reaction to the most recent scene was that the story was purely invented for the sole purpose of filling the void left in the lives of the GR rehabilitees. I'd love to be proven wrong though, because it'd be very interesting if Tommy did indeed have the power. And interesting even if he did not have the power, because it still says a hell of a lot about mind over matter and the overwhelming potential of belief.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2015, 08:55:43 PM »
Another good episode tonight, for me. Feeling sad now that it's over. Then again, I was feeling sad while it was on too

Don't know how I feel about the girls vanishing (if Patti is to be trusted), but I'm open to the possibility. It's just such a major thing, if true, and a real monkey wrench in my current understanding of the universe that's been constructed since all the way back in the pilot. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2015, 10:27:48 PM »
Another good episode tonight, for me. Feeling sad now that it's over. Then again, I was feeling sad while it was on too

Don't know how I feel about the girls vanishing (if Patti is to be trusted), but I'm open to the possibility. It's just such a major thing, if true, and a real monkey wrench in my current understanding of the universe that's been constructed since all the way back in the pilot. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

Yeah, I liked this episode a lot and actually I think this season is way stronger than the first.....and I liked the first one bunches. I think Patty is a straight shooter probably much like Kevin's father's 'friends' were....

I think the Grandpa and the Kid who can 'see' things are going to be a vital role in 'curing' Kevin....or a least helping him.

Solid move by Nora with the cuffs.....her character is great!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2015, 01:27:46 PM »
Once again, great episode.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »
Fascinating episode last night. I really enjoyed the episode they dedicated to the preacher last year and last nights was good as well. That guy is a really good actor. Love how he just confronted John at the end and basically told him he wasn't scared of him and BTW you're taking care of this kid. Hopefully they reveal what it is that has John so dead set against having 'miracles' in Miracle.

Nora is hot.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2015, 03:03:54 PM »
I'm sure they will eventually reveal what got John in that dark place to begin with. I'm envisioning a flashback episode near the end of this season.

As for this episode... WOW. Really loved it. Best episode of the season so far, for me, by far. Like you said, I thought the episode focused on Matt in the first season was among the best episodes at the time (probably my favorite from that season even now) and this one is no different. Just as gripping, but with different flavors splashed in. And you're on point- Chistopher Eccleston has done a phenomenal job with this role...

Really looking forward to seeing where they go next week... Maybe back to Tom and Laurie? No matter, I'm on board. Hopefully it'll be renewed for the third season soon.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2015, 06:05:16 AM »
While I enjoyed the last episode I'm not sure I'd say it was the best episode of the season but I will agree that Christopher Eccleston is doing a fantastic job. This is the first time I've enjoyed his character, not that I've seen him in many roles really but his won me.

This is one of my favorite shows right now because even though it makes me a little uncomfortable, the characters are not very lovable and half the time I'm not sure what's going on or where they're heading, I still feel the need to keep watching. Do you guys go through something similar?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2015, 07:15:19 AM »
This is one of my favorite shows right now because even though it makes me a little uncomfortable, the characters are not very lovable and half the time I'm not sure what's going on or where they're heading, I still feel the need to keep watching. Do you guys go through something similar?

Oh absolutely. I will say though, I do find most of the characters to be quite likable at the moment. Looking back on the first season, I really disliked Liv Tyler's character, thought Jill was a bit annoying, and I wasn't a big fan of some of the Guilty Remnant characters either, but I could get behind almost everyone else. Now Jill has turned it around, Liv Tyler's almost entirely off the map, and this season the GR's not really been much of an issue. So that helps. The new father character is of course hard to like, but I like where they seem to be going with him and I'm curious to see what fucked him up so much in the first place.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »
Funny that the new Walking Dead episode was one focusing entirely on a character I don't care as much for as the main people, and now this show does the exact same thing. But here, the writing is just so much better, so it's all good.

This wasn't my favorite episode of the season though because, as I said, I don't care for Matt as much as Kevin and Nora and the others that feel like the "meat" of the story. But as always, the show is never uninteresting, and always has me engaged.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »
But as always, the show is never uninteresting, and always has me engaged.

That seems to be the thing about this show.....at least with me. It's not like I just absolutely am head over heels dying to see this show every week but it always seems to deliver for me. It's really well done in that aspect

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2015, 03:41:02 PM »
Yeah... not the show you really feel the need to binge on, for me at least. But a very engaging, relatively slow burner nonetheless.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2015, 01:00:40 PM »
this season is friggin' awesome!! That episode last night was fantastic.....just so much stuff going on.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2015, 05:33:43 PM »
I'm going to have to rewatch this season when it's done. Good episode last night but not my favorite. What's with the rock throwing?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
What's with the rock throwing?

I think it was one ticked off lady who then got caught by another ticked off lady.....??

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »
Yeah, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I just wasn't sure why Nora threw one in the first place.

Glad Kevin finally fessed up, and glad to see the two children together. I think we're going to have to get a Tom and Lauri episode next week, before back to Kevin. Maybe a flashback episode for John Murphy as well before the finale. Just my feeling.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2015, 05:51:13 PM »
I just wasn't sure why Nora threw one in the first place.

I think she was just ticked off at John......

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2015, 06:12:36 AM »
I think we're going to have to get a Tom and Lauri episode next week, before back to Kevin. Maybe a flashback episode for John Murphy as well before the finale. Just my feeling.

Yeah, this seems the most likely scenario but with all the stuff going on I'm not sure where this is heading.

Also, I'd love it if they started answering some questions before asking new ones. I'm having a hard time figuring out how they will start putting things together.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:06:08 AM by Nekov »
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2015, 08:46:55 AM »
Im a little worried that it won't be renewed for season 3. I know HBO doesn't often cancel its dramas, but the ratings are noticeably down from last season, which didn't have great ratings to begin with. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2015, 09:08:31 AM »
Im a little worried that it won't be renewed for season 3. I know HBO doesn't often cancel its dramas, but the ratings are noticeably down from last season, which didn't have great ratings to begin with. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I don't think it's paranoid. There really isn't a 'buzz' for the show like other shows. I think there is an audience for it....but it's just not that mega hit like a Game of Thrones. It'll be interesting to see because I think it's a good show worth continuing but unfortunately it's all about the $$ and if it's not making $$ then it's gone.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2015, 11:43:42 AM »
Didn't quite understand why John's wife got so mad at Nora at the end.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2015, 05:49:18 AM »

I don't think it's paranoid. There really isn't a 'buzz' for the show like other shows. I think there is an audience for it....but it's just not that mega hit like a Game of Thrones. It'll be interesting to see because I think it's a good show worth continuing but unfortunately it's all about the $$ and if it's not making $$ then it's gone.

That would suck.  The problem with this show (or shows of this type) is that the mystery is deep and intrigueing to get viewers but when you only add more mystery and not any resolution, you lose people's interest.  I know many who watched season 1 and even enjoyed it but haven't cared to watch season 2.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2015, 07:53:23 AM »
  I know many who watched season 1 and even enjoyed it but haven't cared to watch season 2.

for me.....this Season has been better than season 1. I liked the first season a lot.....but I think the 'story' has been more intriguing this season and the acting has been superb all around.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2015, 09:21:06 AM »
I'm not sure which season I like more so far. I'd probably say that it's the same level of greatness.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »
I wasnt meant to compare, just saying an example of why the ratings might have fell.  I am also really enjoying this season so far, I'll hold my judgement on which season was better until the end because I don't think there is clear seperation at this point for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2015, 09:55:22 AM »
So the writing on this is better than LOST then ?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2015, 10:28:42 AM »

Not sure if it is, but what Lost had over Leftovers is the characters.  The characters on Lost were great and the show really did a great job building them up with every episode being centric on a character.  Thats not a shot at the Leftovers, but just something Lost did so well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2015, 10:43:32 AM »

Not sure if it is, but what Lost had over Leftovers is the characters.  The characters on Lost were great and the show really did a great job building them up with every episode being centric on a character.  Thats not a shot at the Leftovers, but just something Lost did so well.

True....but I love the symbolism and 'atmosphere' that Leftovers has. Every episode has tons of symbolism that is done very well and the over all 'feel' of the episodes is something that is noticeable.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2015, 11:32:11 AM »

True....but I love the symbolism and 'atmosphere' that Leftovers has. Every episode has tons of symbolism that is done very well and the over all 'feel' of the episodes is something that is noticeable.

Thats very "losty" as well, the symbolism and little things littered all over that makes rewatches worth the time.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2015, 12:58:10 PM »
I think The Leftovers is a bit like Lost on steroids. Makes for a fun ride, but also perhaps less accessible.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »
This past Sunday's episode was the best of the season, IMO.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »
Holy crap.