Author Topic: The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 3  (Read 11526 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 2
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »
It was renewed for a third and final season.

I'm split on this one. Very happy that it's getting another season, very disappointed that it's not getting more. Lindelof has talked about plans for a 5 season arc in the past and those plans are obviously not going to come to fruition. This is HBO's idea of a compromise, no doubt.

Most likely a compromise, you're right. It's good to know that at least they get a shot to 'end' the show....maybe explain some things. It's good news IMO
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2015, 05:50:40 AM »
Ok so I finally caught up with this after my vacation and holy shit were they able to pull everything together, or almost everything, you never know with this show. So, let's talk about some of the points you raised on these final 3 episodes:

The episode where Kevin is at the hotel must be the most fun one this show has had, everything was so ridiculous but at some point it made sense. Also the pace and dynamics were just spot on, it was fast, included lots of stuff yet it didn't feel rushed, great stuff.

As soon as I saw the scene with Evie and Meg on the bench I knew what was coming. Overall I thought this episode didn't live up to the greatness of the season as a whole, if for no other reason than the fact that I dislike Meg and have since the beginning of the show.

I am not a fan of Meg either.....she's just not a strong character and Liv Tyler is not a strong actress. Meg may be interesting had someone else played her....but Liv Tyler is brutal.....

Don't now what you're talking about, I thought Liv Tyler did a great job here and had some really cool moments.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of her but I think she brings a lot to Meg's character and is a big reason why she is so detestable at times. After the first season I wouldn't have thought she'd be the one to take the guilty remnant to the radical side they've become and after that 9th episode I'm very curious as to what the Psychic said to her that broke her so much.

Regarding the last episode I just loved it all the way. I remember thinking Kevin is the unluckiest guy in the world, he comes back from the dead and less than 24 hours later he gets shot and killed?! Poor guy. I wasn't a fan of that character during the first season because he was such an asshole but I like how he seems to be taking in some of Nora´s traits slowly and becoming better and more likable.
I also loved the scene where John finds him in the ER and goes: "I killed you" and Kevin just says "Nope". I laughed at that.

Overall I think I enjoyed this season a lot more than the first and I'm super excited about the third one even though it will be the last. I hope Perrotta and Lindelof are able to close this one in a good way even though they might have to speed things up
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2015, 09:55:23 AM »
It's good they are given a season to end it.  Thatis great news, even if it means the show can't do it's full arc, they at least know the end point and can work towards it.  I'd imagine that means season 3 is going to be awesome. Im not sure what season I enjoyed more.  The 2nd was really good, but the first had that initial intrigue.  Overall, a really enjoyable show so I am happy to see one more final season.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2016, 11:12:49 PM »
New member of the club, here.

Just finished watching it and I loved it. Season 2 for me was better than 1, especially the last half of S2. I think I'm going to rewatch this again before Season 3, and I have a feeling I'll enjoy it even more next time around. Great show , with great fucking music.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2016, 08:13:47 AM »
New member of the club, here.

Just finished watching it and I loved it. Season 2 for me was better than 1, especially the last half of S2. I think I'm going to rewatch this again before Season 3, and I have a feeling I'll enjoy it even more next time around. Great show , with great fucking music.

It really is a strong show. I'm bummed it only has one more season to finish the story being that they wrote it with 5 seasons in mind, but thrilled it wasn't just outright cancelled and thing that they can probably wrap it up pretty good for us and it be satisfying and not forced.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »
I never knew that that was the original intention, so I'm glad it does have a shot to finish. I would have been okay if it had ended after Season 2, on such a high note, but I'm glad to see one more. Looking forward to see the direction it will take.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2016, 03:04:44 PM »
Just binged watched the two seasons of this show. I like it, it's definitely Lost on steroids with fewer characters. I think my favorite episodes apart from both finales were the ones involving the preacher Matt and his wife. I always found those intriguing. I think Fear the walking dead should take note on how to make teenagers not super annoying and actually worth watching.
I don't know if I would like this show if I was watching it on a weekly basis. Too many times I've been watching an episode and felt as if I missed some scenes or thought I was watching out of order. It definitely helps to watch it one after the other since things are fresh in your mind.
I don't mind mysteries not being explained and I too don't think they'll really give a concrete explanation on what the departure actually is.
I like the mix of science vs religion and people belief and expectations, I thought they handled that part really well. I believe several of the religious motifs are done with consultation of a religious scholar Reza Aslan. That explains the opening scene of season two.
I will most likely watch the same way when the last season airs and binge watch it all.
I have to say one of the highlight of the show for me is the melancholic music used throughout. I was slightly amused though when they used the strings version of Metalliica's Nothing else matters.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2016, 07:15:08 AM »
I agree with you. The music is fantastic. Also I do love the episodes with Matt. I'm rewatching the series and I found that I'm enjoying Season 1 a lot more than I previously did. I enjoyed it the first time around but it took me time to get used to the tone of the show and the fact that it's pretty ambiguous. I'm currently on episode 4 of Season 1. I loved Two Boats and a Helicopter. Matt is a great character and I love anytime he is on screen.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2016, 07:56:12 AM »
Okay so I don't know if this was talked about, but at the end of S1E05, it looks just like Dean at the AFTEC processing plant. It doesn't put a ton of focus on him and you never see him again after Cairo. He alongside Wayne have been arguably the most mysterious characters on the show. It was clear that Dean wasn't a part of Kevin's imagination because other people would acknowledge him.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2016, 10:12:14 PM »
Finished my rewatch of the show a few days ago. Season 2 of this show is probably my favorite season of any show ever and the finale of it is my favorite episode of all time.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2016, 04:07:38 PM »
I don't know if I'd go that far, but it was indeed amazing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2017, 03:22:06 AM »
So the third and final season premiered last night. As always, this show never fails to intrigue me with it's weird storytelling and unique feel.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2017, 05:49:07 AM »
That premiere was a solid episode. The opening sequence was very cool as well. Some comment online pointed out that as being referred to the "Great disappointment"
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2017, 07:09:53 AM »
Hadn't been paying attention....didn't know this premiered last night. Thanks for the heads up, will have to watch tonight. I'm curious to see how they wrap this thing up...assuming they do wrap it up.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2017, 09:44:47 PM »
All that episode did was bum me out that this is the last season. Such a great episode! I've enjoyed this series immensely and have high hopes they will tell a full story and yet keep some of the mystique and cryptic meaning behind it all.

That last scene of Nora on the bike....the Nun had an accent and Kevin's Dad is in Australia?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2017, 11:37:06 AM »
Yeah, it's been such a long wait for this season. The first episode was great, I think there's a lot of new info being brought in and I can't wait to see how it all resolves. Knowing that it's only 8 episodes is a bit sad because this has become my favorite show (Season 2 being the best season of television I've ever watched). Season 1 had good character building and Season 2 had really good plotting. I think 3 could very well encapsulate everything that is great about this show. It has gotten incredible reviews from critics (They released the first 7 episodes to them) and pretty much all have said it's amazing and that it looks to set up a very nice finale.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »
Dang. Another incredible episode.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2017, 11:19:43 PM »
I think the first two episodes of this season has been nothing short of brilliant. I've become a huge fan of the series, I've always enjoyed and liked this show but this is some next level stuff and the acting on this show is just outright amazing. And as a straight married with kid guy how fricking goddamn hot is Justin Theroux with his perfect god like body. The title track had me rolling lol.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »
And as a straight married with kid guy how fricking goddamn hot is Justin Theroux with his perfect god like body.

Totally. Especially now with that beard.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »
This show is just killing me with how good it is. I'm actually sad at the thought that this is the last season. Just unreal so far.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2017, 06:40:12 AM »
This show is just killing me with how good it is. I'm actually sad at the thought that this is the last season. Just unreal so far.

Exactly. It's gonna be a drop the mic situation. What's intriguing is that the 'end game' is still a mystery. The show is leading towards something but for the life of me i can't crack the code and i love it.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2017, 09:06:16 AM »
Another great episode. One thing this show does a great job of is pacing. I love how we are getting different character-based episodes and they are all done so well. We already are getting a few answers to some early questions and this is great because nobody wants a finale that forces answers to so many unanswered questions. Next week's episode looks very intense. I can't wait!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »
With every episode being a single character story arc, I love how they've answered just enough to be satisfied and yet pique your interest into what's next. Such a well written show and the performances in each episode by every character has been outstanding so far.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2017, 06:24:26 AM »
I caught up last night and as gmillerdrake said, I'm being bummed that this is the last season because it's so freaking good. I'm really not sure there is an endgame as some of you are pointing out, I think this show is not about the departed, it's about how people cope with the fact that they are not in control of their lives which is why everyone went mad. My take at this show is that even though I'm curious as to where it is going, I'm taking it with some Rush philosophy, I'm enjoying the journey because the point is not to arrive  :smiley:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2017, 07:12:42 AM »
Yeah, I think a lot of people will be frustrated at a lack of answers. I don't feel like there needs to be a lot of answers, but there definetely needs to be some kind of resolution to the story. They just need to find that balance. I really hope they will.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2017, 08:00:00 AM »
Yeah, I think a lot of people will be frustrated at a lack of answers. I don't feel like there needs to be a lot of answers, but there definetely needs to be some kind of resolution to the story. They just need to find that balance. I really hope they will.

I don't expect or need every question to be answered and have it all wrapped up in a bow. I think that'd be out of line for the show...it just wouldn't fit. But like you mention, I'm curious about the resolution of it all and expect it to be 'worth' it.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »
When a show's intent is to not focus on the answers, but the experiences of the characters, I could not care less about actually getting answers. This show is the best.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2017, 11:00:06 PM »
I don't know if they're going to give concrete answers but a lot of things shown have so far drawn parallels from several religious themes so I figure they're going to be left that way.
Tonight's episode keeps this trajectory of one amazing episode after another with amazing performances as usual. The setup with Kevin's little adventure and how it tied it in the end with the chat with Nora at the end was extremely well executed. This show if off the charts fantastic and approaching legendary status now. If it ends with this high note I think I'd have to seriously contend this as one of my top 5 shows of all time.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2017, 11:43:39 PM »
I don't know if they're going to give concrete answers but a lot of things shown have so far drawn parallels from several religious themes so I figure they're going to be left that way.
Tonight's episode keeps this trajectory of one amazing episode after another with amazing performances as usual. The setup with Kevin's little adventure and how it tied it in the end with the chat with Nora at the end was extremely well executed. This show if off the charts fantastic and approaching legendary status now. If it ends with this high note I think I'd have to seriously contend this as one of my top 5 shows of all time.

Umm....yeah. What you said. I'm pretty sure they're not gonna spell out any 'answers' per say....but I can't imagine that the story they are telling, when it ends....is going to suck. The way it's going I'm confident it'll be well done.

I'm curious as to if it's something as simple as the 'leftover' folks are actually the ones who vanished?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2017, 11:50:40 PM »
I agree, this show is phenomenal. I think something interesting is the question about killing the baby if cancer could be cured. The man in the desert answered no, and Nora answered yes. Both were rejected. Is it possible that this radiation machine thing is just a scam and maybe it's the GR or another cult that makes people invest so much in the idea that they could be with their loved ones again just to take it away from them just like that? It surely left Nora broken, and obviously the man in the desert felt tremendous pain. It sounds like they just answer "no" to everyone.

Also, loved the ending. Kevin and Nora's breakup scene was arguably the best scene this season. Next week's episode looks crazy, as I would expect no different from a Matt episode.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2017, 12:10:12 AM »
It was good foreshadowing when Nora and Kevin were talking on the plane and she called their relationship a co-dependent toxic relationship. I think they'd both been burying their head in the sand for some time concerning their relationship.

The baby question is curious and as you pointed out both answers were rejected. It doesn't explain why none of the former participants can be found....but it is curious that they didn't take Nora especially when her answer was the most pragmatic and 'scientific'

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 3
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2017, 11:57:46 AM »
The baby question is an interesting thing, at first my thought was that these "scientists" were messing up with people and contributing to the general collective madness,driving these other people to suicide like the guy in the dessert which might explain why none of them could be found. Then I thought that maybe there is no 1 right answer, but that depending on each person they are seeking a different response for whatever reason. There's also the chance that it's just another test, see how people react to an initial rejection and maybe some time later contact them again and tell them they can go through with the machine, who knows.

This latest episode on one side left me very satisfied with the acting and the overall craziness of the world, but somewhat disappointed and I'm not sure why. I think a part of me is still expecting to get some answers even though I know I won't which now that I think about it is exactly what the people in the show are experiencing at a much larger scale. God dammit this show is freaking fantastic.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2017, 12:33:09 PM »
I completely agree the baby question is an individual answer. They 'know' everything about Nora....she was a Mom....lost her real kids and adoptive kids and Nora was probably right that they tested her with the strangers baby. For her to give the answer that she thought they'd want to hear rather than the one she 'wanted' to give and go against her 'motherhood' showed them something they didn't like about her.

And yeah....I'm pretty confident we're not going to get many 'answers'.....but I'm totally cool with that at this point due to how great the shows been.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2017, 09:44:59 PM »
Some of my favorite episodes of the season tend to be the ones with Matt the preacher. I have always loved how this show portrayed him and his beliefs,  giving the appearance of a cliched crazed religious zealot on the surface then unraveling the truth with so much depth and reveal that his beliefs were indeed not just made up delusions. This show has always done an excellent job of maintaining that balance.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2017, 09:44:14 AM »
Some of my favorite episodes of the season tend to be the ones with Matt the preacher. I have always loved how this show portrayed him and his beliefs,  giving the appearance of a cliched crazed religious zealot on the surface then unraveling the truth with so much depth and reveal that his beliefs were indeed not just made up delusions. This show has always done an excellent job of maintaining that balance.

Yeah. I like the Matt episodes as well.

What I really liked about that episode was the subtle allegorical storytelling about the dude who claimed to be god and that physical lion being present. Jesus is referred to as the Lion of Judah and the Lion is often used to represent Christ....so for the conversation that Matt and 'god' had to go down in front of that Lion....then for the episode to end with the lion being freed and then killing the guy who claimed to be god....I've always dug those types of symbolic undertones this show throws in there. There have been quite a few.