Author Topic: The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 3  (Read 11527 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 3
« on: October 05, 2015, 05:54:36 AM »
I thought there was a thread for this show but so I couldn't find it.

Anyways, season 2 of this very interesting show began last night. That's the word I'd use to describe how I felt about the first season, "interesting", and I think the season 2 premiere definetely kept that vibe. As well as a strong sense of discomfort, which the first season did really well. Good episode, and I'm excited for the rest of the season.

Anyone else see the episode? Anyone else following this show?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:23:24 AM by BlackInk »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 2
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:34:57 AM »
I saw the first season and it was pretty good, but I didn't love it. I agree that it was "interesting", but I didn't find it particularly engaging and I think a large part of that is that it didn't really make me care about any of the characters.

I'll probably check out season 2 for now, though I don't think it's started in the UK yet.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:58:58 AM »
Are they marketing this as having anything to do with LOST ?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »
I don't think so. I have never heard them mentioned together in any way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:22:42 AM »
I'm sure a few people from LOST are working on it. Not least Damon Lindelof.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:47:54 AM »
Oh I thought you meant story wise, like that they're connected.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
I watched it. I like the concept of kind of re-booting the show without really re-booting it.

I definitely think Kevin was seeing someone when he looked in at the couch....it'll be neat to watch him lose his mind :lol  I'm curious as to what John's 'job' is....when his wife said are you working tonight at the BBQ? Does he investigate all the newcomers? And I thought the intro. was kind of odd but yet I liked it.

As far as I'm concerned unless they just crap the bed with the story I'll watch the show for as long as it's on.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
Yeah it seems like John and his buddies are like an unofficial police force in the town. When they burned the guy's house down I was thinking "how can they possibly believe that they'll get away with this?", I mean, they even intentionally leave a witness! But it seems like they're allowed to do pretty much whatever they want. Bringing "justice" to the people.

Weird things are going on in that town, that much is certain at least.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »
I absolutely loved the first season; couldn't get enough of it. I'm really excited about S2 but am skeptical of all the big changes everyone keeps talking about on the media sites. I have faith in them after how compelling and interesting S1 was, but any show that changes a format that worked so damn well (in my eyes) is gonna make me iffy. But I'm excited nonetheless. I like the show enough that I'll catch it, but I do want to binge a few episodes. I don't think I could hold out an entire season, though that'd be ideal for me. But I'll probably wait a couple more episodes to start it up.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 03:30:21 PM »
I binge watched season 1 about a month ago when I started seeing the ads for season 2.  I had really wanted to watch the show last year when it aired since I am a big LOST fan, but got caught up and took a year for me to actually watch it. I really enjoyed so I plan on watching season 2, but I will probably play catch up on the DVR.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 07:23:16 AM »
The new episode was a big WTF for me. I like the fact they are starting with a new storyline including some characters from the first season and now I'm eagerly awaiting for them to explain some more what that town is.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 08:12:46 AM »
I've cautiously skimmed through some of the comments on here to try to avoid spoilers from the first episode until I catch it. Would've already done so if I wasn't in the middle of my re-watch through the first season. On episode nine now.

I absolutely loved the first season- definitely my favorite show currently on TV. I'm especially fond of the Matt Jamison and Nora Durst episodes, the former being one of my single favorite episodes from any show. And can I just say- Max Richter's work on the music is fantastic! Damon Lindelof has (for me at least) done a great job of transposing many of the same elements that made Lost such a fun show to follow onto The Leftovers.

Anyways, with that fanboyism out of the way- I'm really interested to see how they do the new setting and how natural it will feel to have so many of the same characters relocating there.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 02:55:41 AM »
Wow so...um...what the fuck? Lots to think about and say.

This series either got Lindelof'd (Or Lost'd) really early, or they've got a shitload of explaining to do. There is a point when intrigue and mystery turns into frustration and annoyance. I didn't get to that point in this episode, but it was pretty damn close. There's only so many balls you can throw out of nowhere and this episode just did not stop throwing them. Now, I really like the whole town set-up as a whole and the way that it's the polar opposite of the first season in which everyone is wondering why they were forsaken and why the people that were taken were 'chosen', this town seemingly thinks that they were 'spared' and that the town of Miracle is just that; a miracle with all the inhabitants being some kind of holiness. Hence the psychotic father of the black family being some kind of judge (at least that's what I gathered), jury and (probably) executioner. That motherfucker smiles WAY too much, but the actor did a great job of portraying a very specific type of seemingly restrained, intelligent insanity. But no doubt, that guy is fucking batshit crazy (and I'm guessing most people in the town are that way...or something close to it, at the very least that whole family).

I'm not even going to start on the opening sequence...I've got a feeling that's never going to be explained if Lindelof keeps his track record...which is why I was skeptical to even watch this show in the first place. The man knows how to perfectly set up fantastical mysteries and then leave them way the fuck out in the abyss, never to be seen from again, let alone explained in the least. So...suffice it to say I am extremely skeptical going forward but I'll reserve my own judgement until things either really start to fall apart or begin to form again. I liked the episode overall, really...it's just that there were so many random things happening over and over that...shit, that's just a lot of small things that were somehow given this brief exposé of importance to explain without it seeming completely forced or having to play catch-up.

I'm excited to see the original family back, but the new family is really interesting as well; it'd just be nice if it held any water at all (HA!). My guess is that this town is the polar opposite of what all these people who seem to be so full of themselves think it is: I'm guessing the earthquakes, the random disappearance of the lake, is going to turn into a full on type of forsaken town full of one horrible thing after another happening to it and everyone in it which will set our 'main' family (I don't think this new family is going to stick, I'm thinking it was just a way to introduce us to this town and the insane shit happening in it; at least just for the season or this 'arc') on a course to escape or...combat whatever it is that's going to happen. All of the very ritualized things that go on, the extreme secrecy and exclusivity of the town, and especially the cult-ish aspect (the church scene especially, that repetition of lines was really eerie, and happened a couple other times in the episode) allude to something sinister, I think. Clearly something is afoot but whether that's explained at all, or if it's all just going to be random shit over and over is yet to be seen. I'm kinda worried, but still very much interested in seeing where this goes. At the same time I'm sadly taking this show now with a very restrained outlook instead of jumping in head first like I did the first season.

Oh, and fuck that opening (the actual opening, the song). I get it...it's completely the opposite of what the show is and I'm guessing even more so with this season, and the town especially. But it just sucks...the first one was perfect and while it was clearly ominous and epic, they seem to be trying to hard with this one to be...the opposite of what's happening, and that is abundantly clear. Eh...we shall see!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:04:40 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 07:24:40 AM »
I thought the episode was fine and a good set up, the new family is definitely interesting.

Here is my problem though, last season set up lots of questions and by changing sceneries does that mean all the mystery from last season is forgotten?  If so then I just don't see the point in watching this show.  Im not stopping just yet, but I just feel like this show may never go anywhere.  While many people felt LOST was like that, I disagree, Lost actually got to the bottom of most if not all of the mysteries by the end, maybe this show does too, but I lose faith if we just continue to get another town and another set of mysteries and problems without any resolution from the previous town.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 08:31:09 AM »
I'm not even going to start on the opening sequence...I've got a feeling that's never going to be explained

I kind of liked that opening sequence. It gave off a random, brutal vibe of instinct and survival but at the same time was very spiritual. That 'tribe' clearly worshiped the Eagle given that lady had an adorned feather and stroked it.....the Eagle was present in each time of her need. She was alone....it screeched.....she saw the fire in the distance. As she lay dying she was crying thinking of her child....she looked up, the Eagle screeched and as she passed another lady showed up to take care of her kid.

The earthquake's are significant....certainly. Just to what aspect is yet to be determined. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »
I get all that, Gman; it was pretty clear.  :lol But I'm just wondering how that is significant at all to...however many hundreds or thousands of years in the future we are now in the show. One would think such a massively mind-fucking opening would surely be explained in some form but I'm still skeptical of how it'll fit in. I mean this is episode one so I'm certainly not judging yet but as I said, there is a whole lot that needs explaining and I'm just hoping that they didn't immediately dig themselves a very deep hole.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »
I'm not expecting the opening to get explained. I'm sure it's symbolism of some sort that'll make more sense by the end of the season, but will never be spelled out for us. That's the way I'd like it, at least. Some things should remain mysteries without ruining it by over explaining exactly what's going on. Let the audience think for themselves a bit. I'm not expecting the departure thing to ever be resolved either.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »
I'm not expecting the departure thing to ever be resolved either.

Nor do I. I don't see how you do? The allure of it all is the science vs Faith aspect of it. Why did it happen? Was it a scientific anomaly or was is some act of 'God'? If they decide to pick one and run with it I think the mystique of the show is gone and it's just 'another' show. I like the mystery behind it....the symbolism in most of the scenes and the cryptic dialogue....it all adds to the show for me. I don't see how they explain it and keep it neutral and the neutrality of the show is what's appealing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 04:03:46 PM »
Oh absolutely, I agree on keeping some of the mystery and that is definitely one of them (kind of my attitude towards Walking Dead and how the virus came to be). But the opening was just so out of nowhere and yet given this glaring importance and very obvious connection to the land (same place), the events (earthquakes) and the seemingly blind faith (the town thinking they were spared and are holy, and the woman and the eagle). I liked it, I just hope that it's not left COMPLETELY alone. If there is another connection even through some other odd event in current times that isn't so obscure, I'll be satisfied; I wasn't saying I want them to spell every little thing out for us, but there is a balance that needs to be kept in my opinion. Something to actually connect the events with something concrete and give purpose to the whole thing other than it being a singularity in different times and merely 'symbolic' (a word I think is used way too often as a cop out of 'figure it out on your own, take from it what you will', and that's nice sometimes, but often times I see it used as a crutch instead of a point of purpose). I'm just not satisfied right now with how much importance the scene was given and then they cut to bitches playing in the same river in the current time.

Again though, I'm just being nit-picky and super cautious, they've got an abundance of time to explain however much they'd like, expand and explore. So as of now I'm good, it's just my faith in Lindelof waxes and wanes immensely. I like a lot of his work, but I also dislike a lot of his writing and decisions. It's a love/hate thing.  :laugh:

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 10:08:21 AM »
Very interesting second episode. I guess it answers the question on whether Kevin is seeing her again  :lol  but in typical fashion, the show answers a question but adds three more.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 01:37:29 PM »
I thought it was an amazing episode! Sometimes I just smile while watching this show just because of how well crafted it is. The writing, the acting, the cinematography, directing. Just great stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »
I thought it was an amazing episode! Sometimes I just smile while watching this show just because of how well crafted it is. The writing, the acting, the cinematography, directing. Just great stuff.

ditto  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 06:23:51 AM »
REALLY liked that episode.  My complaints after the first episode have mostly been resolved now.  If that episode was episode 1 I would have felt a lot better after it.  It pretty much filled the gap between s2e1 and s1e10 so it didnt make it seem like this is a completely new story.  I really enjoyed that, but also the story itself was really good and that ending!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 06:54:48 AM »
2nd episode definitely much stronger than 1st episode. Kicking off the second season with only new characters, the main one of which seems to be very unlikeable, was a strange decision.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 07:23:55 AM »
2nd episode definitely much stronger than 1st episode. Kicking off the second season with only new characters, the main one of which seems to be very unlikeable, was a strange decision.

Agreed, it definitely through me off.  Not so much that there was a focus on new characters, but the fact the first episode had very little reference to anything from season 1 which really made my initial reactions to be a bit negative. However, looking back, it may have been strange but it actually does kind of work out.  Set up the new location and characters and then bring back the old and 3rd episode should be pretty interesting!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 10:35:14 PM »
Holy Cow this season is off to a great start!! This third episode was really good IMO. Very interesting to see that 'gift' be passed on....ties in to the old school beginning of Christianity with Christ and all letting his followers know they had the same power he did if they'd just realize it.

Loved the scene in the publishers office....that was some powerful stuff.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 09:27:29 AM »
Yeah this episode was awesome, the show sure doesn't suffer from running out of source material. And I was just wondering when Liv Tyler would show up again, that was a really weird scene, and I actually thought they'd burn him.

Although this whole "have an episode focus solely on one group" thing has been great, I'd like them to now start progress each story in every episode. I mean, maybe they'll keep doing this and it'll be awesome, but it's just what I'm feeling right now.

Also, there are few people in fictional history as unlikable as the Guilty Remnants.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »
Yeah this episode was awesome, the show sure doesn't suffer from running out of source material. And I was just wondering when Liv Tyler would show up again, that was a really weird scene, and I actually thought they'd burn him.

Although this whole "have an episode focus solely on one group" thing has been great, I'd like them to now start progress each story in every episode. I mean, maybe they'll keep doing this and it'll be awesome, but it's just what I'm feeling right now.

Also, there are few people in fictional history as unlikable as the Guilty Remnants.

Agree on the thinking they were going to burn him. Totally thought it was coming. And, the Guilty Remnants are turning out to be quite the 'enemy'. As far as focusing on each group....I think they've kind of leveled the field as far as 'where' they are now and 'what' they are up to. I suspect now they'll begin to tie them all together. I think the show has been very strong thus far.

And, it's interesting that Kevin's Father told him he was moving to Australia for a bit and in the background the whole episode you were hearing about a man who was thought to have been dead and resurrected from a cave in Australia. Absolutely no coincidence.

Curious to see how Kevin 'escapes' the whole palm print on the window deal? Oh....I just appeared at the bottom of the empty river with a weight tied to my leg  :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »
And, it's interesting that Kevin's Father told him he was moving to Australia for a bit and in the background the whole episode you were hearing about a man who was thought to have been dead and resurrected from a cave in Australia. Absolutely no coincidence.

Yeah, we've been hearing things about Australia here and there this season. The weirdo guy on top of the pillar also asked John's son to mail a letter there. So yeah, totally not a coincidence.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 10:25:06 AM »

Yeah, we've been hearing things about Australia here and there this season. The weirdo guy on top of the pillar also asked John's son to mail a letter there. So yeah, totally not a coincidence.

This type of stuff is where you can get that first couple seasons of 'LOST' vibe/feel.....like they could/can/are writing just weird stuff and then making it work out. I have a feeling this show is thought out to the point that it isn't random....but it's just got that same vibe going for me right now.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 09:20:34 PM »
Finally finished my rewatch of the first season and caught up on the first three episodes of this season. Really liking it so far, as I suspected I would.

The new Nora-Jill dynamic is a joy for me to watch and I'm immediately liking the children in the new family (particularly the son). The parents are a bit harder to figure out, but I'm definitely intrigued. I'll be honest, I wasn't the most excited about episode three when I realized it was going to focus exclusively on Lauri and Tommy. Got to say, and very happy to do so, that I could't have been more wrong. Episode was fantastic. Particularly the scene in the publisher's office, but also the end with Tommy taking his new role. In general, given how much mystery they normally pile into this each episode, I thought this one did a very good job of clearing some things up without adding that much more confusion. Obviously there were a lot of questions about the GR and Holy Wayne in the first season. And while they haven't disappeared, this episode did a good job of getting a more concrete reading on that.

Really interested to see where they go from here. And looking forward to seeing more of the good Reverend Matt Jamison. Don't know if they'll have an entire episode dedicated to him like they did in the first season, but I've always been enraptured by his character. And the dude is a faaaantastic actor, which I never fully appreciated before (having seen him in Doctor Who).

Bring on more!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2015, 09:42:02 PM »

The new Nora-Jill dynamic is a joy for me to watch and I'm immediately liking the children in the new family (particularly the son). The parents are a bit harder to figure out, but I'm definitely intrigued. I'll be honest, I wasn't the most excited about episode three when I realized it was going to focus exclusively on Lauri and Tommy. Got to say, and very happy to do so, that I could't have been more wrong. Episode was fantastic. Particularly the scene in the publisher's office, but also the end with Tommy taking his new role. In general, given how much mystery they normally pile into this each episode, I thought this one did a very good job of clearing some things up without adding that much more confusion. Obviously there were a lot of questions about the GR and Holy Wayne in the first season. And while they haven't disappeared, this episode did a good job of getting a more concrete reading on that.

Really interested to see where they go from here. And looking forward to seeing more of the good Reverend Matt Jamison. Don't know if they'll have an entire episode dedicated to him like they did in the first season, but I've always been enraptured by his character. And the dude is a faaaantastic actor, which I never fully appreciated before (having seen him in Doctor Who).

Bring on more!

This nails my sentiments as well!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 02:08:51 PM »
This show just never manages to kindle my interest. There are good flourishes and then it just too mired in unlikeable characters. Going to try and stick through with the rest of season 2 though.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 02:26:05 PM »
While its nowhere near a deal breaker for me yet, I do sort of agree on the lack of likeable characters. Almost all of them have something holding them back. Except for maybe Nora. Somehow, after a bit of a shaky start, she really won me over.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 02:31:33 PM »
Yeah I didn't mean every character is unlikeable, and I agree that Nora is pretty awesome. But I don't find that the show really makes me care very much about any of them.

I be am boner inducing.