Author Topic: Live At The Marquee Appreciation  (Read 6868 times)

Offline Amit

Re: Live At The Marquee Appreciation
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2015, 05:05:42 AM »
lol yeah i know
i couldnt find it anywhere (the video) and no matter where i looked it just said "live album" so i thought it had a vid too like Live At Budokan and such...

BTW are the other live albums like Once In A LIVEtime or SCORE dont have a video or they do?

tnx for the answer!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2015, 07:03:05 AM »
lol yeah i know
i couldnt find it anywhere (the video) and no matter where i looked it just said "live album" so i thought it had a vid too like Live At Budokan and such...

BTW are the other live albums like Once In A LIVEtime or SCORE dont have a video or they do?

tnx for the answer!

They have.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline pcs90

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2015, 09:25:12 AM »
An album of Dream Theater's live improvisations? I'd get it.
Me too. I've been trying to collect all of the different instrumental things they played live. I think there are still 1 or 2 from this tour that I don't have, and the version of Slow Motion I have is pretty bad quality, but it's getting there.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2015, 04:15:03 PM »
Once In A LIVEtime was fully filmed, but only some of it has been released(Burning My Soul, Peruvian Skies, and the Metropolis/Learning To Live/ACOS Finalι medley).

Live Scenes From New York was fully filmed, and it almost entirely available on video(The first set - containing Scenes From A Memory, - aswell as the final five songs from the concert - Erotomania, Voices, The Silent Man, Learning To Live, and A Change Of Seasons - are on the Metropolis 2000 DVD. Another Day and the Keyboard Solo are also included as video files on the third disc of the Live Scenes From New York CD version, and bits and pieces of the rest of the concert are included in the DVD bonus features).

Everything after that has full video available(Although the Chaos In Motion CD has some tracks from different nights due to a mixing error), assuming you don't count the free Christmas 2013 thing.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »
This album is all about The Killing Hand. Stunning performance.

I'd also like to see DT do something like Bombay Vindaloo again during this tour - come up with an idea and work on it as the tour progresses.

Quoted for absolute, spotless and universal truth. All of this.
Couldn't agree more. Don't forget that they actually did several different instrumental songs that were somewhat improvised. IIRC, there were 4 done during the European leg of the tour when they did Bombay Vindaloo, and before that leg and after there were other instrumental songs (Moon Bubbles, Slow Motion, the groove-based instrumental from May 15-16, Barfbag and the extended jam following TLF for the summer US and Japanese legs). Even if they were to do one different one during each leg of the tour, it still would be great and those could be compiled for some sort of Ytsejam release.

I'll have a look around first, but does anyone know what shows some of these Jams were from? Obviously most of us know Bombay Vindaloo and possibly Moonbubbles on Homecoming or something like that. I guess I'll look up the May 15-16 show for something 'groovy'. But where might I find Slow Motion and Barfbag? Cheers to anyone who can help!

Offline pcs90

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2015, 09:25:09 AM »
I'll have a look around first, but does anyone know what shows some of these Jams were from? Obviously most of us know Bombay Vindaloo and possibly Moonbubbles on Homecoming or something like that. I guess I'll look up the May 15-16 show for something 'groovy'. But where might I find Slow Motion and Barfbag? Cheers to anyone who can help!
I have the 5/15 jam.
"Slow Motion" was only played at a few shows in January. There is a version on youtube, have heard one more audio recording as well but neither is very good quality.
"Barfbag"...the best recording of this is 11/15/93, I believe. It's a really nice soundboard recording.
There's another jam that appeared on 04/13/93, the little instrumental part at the beginning of "Status Seeker", and various jams from a live radio interview (a faster version of 6:00 and a few blues ones).
If anyone has any other ones not listed here or on the above posts I would love to get more info.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »
• Moon Bubbles followed Ytsejam and was played at pretty much every show in 1992 - best sounding version is from the Osaka show on 1992/11/19, which is a soundboard. The band also brought it back for the 1993/04/15 show in Frankfurt, altho if memory serves me correctly, MP said it was more of a full band version, whereas what was played in 1992 was just JP and JM.
• Slow Motion and the preceding bass solo followed Ytsejam, and were only included for a handful of shows right at the beginning of 1993. I know there is an audio recording of the 1993/01/02 show and video of the 1993/01/08 show. I don't believe the sound quality for either is anything great, but still listenable.
• Bombay Vindaloo is already well know, but it should be noted that there is soundboard recording of the 1993/04/09 Hamburg show, and the version at that show is noticeably different from the one performed the following night and the version on LatM.
• An unnamed funk-based instrumental was premiered at the Paris show on 1993/04/13. It was also played in Arnsburg, Germany the following night. There's audio of both shows in circulation, but I don't know what the quality is like on either one.
• Another instrumental was premiered at the Bristol, England show on 1993/04/19, which was based on idea(s) that would end up becoming Innocence Faded. This instrumental also was played at the Glasgow, Scotland show two nights later.
• The unnamed groove-based instrumental was only played on the first two dates of the North American leg of the Music in Progress tour, and only the Warwick, RI show on 1993/05/15 is in circulation. Fortunately, it is a radio broadcast, so the sound quality is pretty good.
• Barfbag followed To Live Forever on the European leg of the Music in Progress tour - fall of 1993. As pcs90 said, the best sounding version available is from the Milan show on 1993/11/15.

There's another jam that appeared on 04/13/93, the little instrumental part at the beginning of "Status Seeker", and various jams from a live radio interview (a faster version of 6:00 and a few blues ones).
Just a clarification that the "little instrumental part at the beginning of Status Seeker" is actually just the intro of the song being rewritten, rather than being a new instrumental.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2015, 03:53:42 PM »
• Moon Bubbles: The band also brought it back for the 1993/04/15 show in Frankfurt, altho if memory serves me correctly, MP said it was more of a full band version, whereas what was played in 1992 was just JP and JM.

I think it appeared on one or two other recordings from that time as well. I haven't heard any of them though so not sure how different the 93 version is from the 92 one.

• Bombay Vindaloo is already well know, but it should be noted that there is soundboard recording of the 1993/04/09 Hamburg show, and the version at that show is noticeably different from the one performed the following night and the version on LatM.

Is this the version that does not contain a keyboard solo and is a little slower and more mellow? The one on LATM builds up a lot more if it's the one I'm thinking of.

• An unnamed funk-based instrumental was premiered at the Paris show on 1993/04/13. It was also played in Arnsburg, Germany the following night. There's audio of both shows in circulation, but I don't know what the quality is like on either one.

I have the jam from the Paris show, quality is very good especially considering it's an audience recording from 1993. Not sure of the other one. This started off with a lot of acoustic strumming and then turns into a regular guitar solo...I don't think Kevin even played on it, at least I don't hear him at all.

• Another instrumental was premiered at the Bristol, England show on 1993/04/19, which was based on idea(s) that would end up becoming Innocence Faded. This instrumental also was played at the Glasgow, Scotland show two nights later.

Alright, so this is the one I'm still missing. Would love to hear it if anyone has a recording of it! :)

Just a clarification that the "little instrumental part at the beginning of Status Seeker" is actually just the intro of the song being rewritten, rather than being a new instrumental.

This is true. I've seen it on its own track on some recordings so I listed it separately, but it is just a short intro, a little over a minute long.

There was also apparently one played in November 93 that eventually became LSOAD, I believe. I have never heard it though. I have another random one just called "Improv Jam" that I don't know the date of, may have been with Kevin or Derek. Usually I can tell by the playing and keyboard tones but not sure of this one. What about "Back Pain" and "Heavy"? Were these from before the IW tour?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2015, 04:10:45 PM »
Is this the version that does not contain a keyboard solo and is a little slower and more mellow? The one on LATM builds up a lot more if it's the one I'm thinking of.
Not sure - I'd have to go back and listen. I just remember that it's much shorter and the arrangement might be a bit different too.

I don't think Kevin even played on it, at least I don't hear him at all.
Actually, quite often KM didn't take part of those instrumentals - MP said that he wasn't really into them that much, but most of the time he'd stay on stage and play keyboards if the show was being recorded or broadcast. Pretty sure that he didn't play at the Hamburg show. I distinctly remember him leaving the stage during the extended jam at the end of TLF at my first show (1993/06/29 - Milwaukee's Summerfest).

There was also apparently one played in November 93 that eventually became LSOAD, I believe. I have never heard it though. I have another random one just called "Improv Jam" that I don't know the date of, may have been with Kevin or Derek. Usually I can tell by the playing and keyboard tones but not sure of this one. What about "Back Pain" and "Heavy"? Were these from before the IW tour?
Not sure about an instrumental being played in Nov of 93 that would become LSOaD - as far as I know, only Barfbag was played at all those shows.

As for the Back Pain jam, that was a one-off improv done after MP threw his back out at the Toronto show on the Waking Up the World Tour (1994/10/25). JP, JM and DS jammed until MP returned to the stage after getting his back worked on.

As for "Heavy", that was the name (on the Subconscious bootleg) given to what became officially known as the "Awake Jam", an instrumental that followed LSOaD for the second half of the North American leg in 1994, as well as the Japanese dates in January 1995.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2015, 04:30:01 PM »
Actually, quite often KM didn't take part of those instrumentals - MP said that he wasn't really into them that much, but most of the time he'd stay on stage and play keyboards if the show was being recorded or broadcast. Pretty sure that he didn't play at the Hamburg show. I distinctly remember him leaving the stage during the extended jam at the end of TLF at my first show (1993/06/29 - Milwaukee's Summerfest).

I guess that explains why most of these jams don't really have any kind of keyboard solo, usually just background parts or nothing. It's interesting because there are some jams they did live as part of a radio interview and he had a lot of great improv moments there. Too bad he wasn't really into that stuff.

Not sure about an instrumental being played in Nov of 93 that would become LSOaD - as far as I know, only Barfbag was played at all those shows.

Looks like I got confused -- the Awake Jam you mentioned was what I was thinking of and I just mixed up the years and details. However, if you look here https://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=361076 it does list an improv jam plus Barfbag, so unless there's an error there might be something else that was played. I listened to the "Improv Jam" that I had and all I know is MP was using the Mapex kit and there are quite a bit of keyboard parts in the background.

As for "Heavy", that was the name (on the Subconscious bootleg) given to what became officially known as the "Awake Jam", an instrumental that followed LSOaD for the second half of the North American leg in 1994, as well as the Japanese dates in January 1995.

Do you know which show has the best audio of this? The only one I have is from that bootleg, and it's pretty distorted in places.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2015, 05:22:48 PM »
Looks like I got confused -- the Awake Jam you mentioned was what I was thinking of and I just mixed up the years and details. However, if you look here https://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=361076 it does list an improv jam plus Barfbag, so unless there's an error there might be something else that was played. I listened to the "Improv Jam" that I had and all I know is MP was using the Mapex kit and there are quite a bit of keyboard parts in the background.
Ah OK (regarding the Awake Jam). As for that particular show you're citing, I know of the show altho I haven't heard it. Long story short, if there was an improv or instrumental performed in addition to Ytsejam and Barfbag, then it was unplanned and due to circumstances that happened at this show.

The details are explained by MP here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixRjcRehjcg

Do you know which show has the best audio of this? The only one I have is from that bootleg, and it's pretty distorted in places.
There's a Japanese broadcast from 1995/01/24 that's in wide circulation that has pretty good sound, altho JM's bass sounds like a galloping horse on the recording. A much better sounding show is the day before that's a pristine soundboard - a key recording to have in the collection.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »
This is fantastic info. guys, cheers.  ;D Time to go have a listen through some old boots. I might have come across some of this stuff before but it's interesting to try and identify.

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 06:04:55 PM »
It took me a long time to get into this cd, and not sure why. When I did it's awesome hands down! Bombay Vindaloo and Another Hand/The Killing Hand :metal
Thanks,
Dave

Offline JLa

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2015, 05:03:19 PM »
I have always loved the ending to A Fortune in Lies. James with his "You rode the reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed" and MP pounding away in the background.  :metal

Great album!