Author Topic: Do you do ComiCon??  (Read 971 times)

Offline jammindude

Do you do ComiCon??
« on: September 23, 2015, 02:08:32 PM »
I couldn't find a specific thread for ComiCon's, but I just thought it might be nice if you've got a cool local ComiCon in your area.

Tickets just went on sale for Emerald City ComiCon (which has been expanded to 4 days, due to popular demand), and Mrs. Dude and I just got 4 day VIP passes, hotel accommodations, and now I just found out that NATHAN FILLION is going to be there!!  (The captain from Firefly in case ya don't know)

This is one of those rare moments when a guy is allowed to SQUEE!!!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Do you do ComiCon??
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:06:19 PM »
Man, even though I'd never cosplay, I'm a total otaku and am still fairly big into American comics, mainly Marvel/DC and some of the lesser popular ones; but I'd still absolutely love to go one day. I can't right now because my life is a massive shit sandwich right now and I wouldn't have the money nor the time, but I'd love to hear some updates or see some pics if you're planning on it. I always see people's pictures of cosplayers and/or their own, but it'd be cool to read/see experiences from the event itself. Awesome to hear about Fillion joining. Anyway, I plan on going one day for sure, I just don't know when...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 09:44:07 PM »
Sydney Comic-Con is actually this weekend, and I'll be going. Nathan Fillion was here at a convention earlier in the year.
This weekend's Comic-Con has several Stargate actors I'm interested in getting photos with, including Macgy..... Richard Dean Anderson. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:56:05 AM »
The Heroes Convention is in Charlotte every year, and it is fairly big, but I haven't been in years.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 06:31:37 PM »
This is me asking Gina Torres (from Firefly) a question at the 2015 ComiCon just about 6 months ago.  (I guarantee you I was the only "Jayne Lebowski" in the entire crowd. LOL)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjRO5aopr0I&feature=youtu.be

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 05:58:48 PM »
I *JUST* realized that I had accidentally made the above video "private", so I'm not sure anyone saw it.   I fixed it, so anyone who wants to see me ask Gina Torres a question (and get a really cute answer) should be able to see it now.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »
I go to a ton of anime and comic conventions every year. Cosplaying is probably my biggest hobby at this point; I've met so many awesome people and have made so many friends. There's really nothing else like it.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 08:19:12 PM »
Ditto to the above. There's usually something at them for everyone who enjoys something in the vast, vast, "nerd spectrum"!
caw caw

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 08:55:21 PM »
I go to a ton of anime and comic conventions every year. Cosplaying is probably my biggest hobby at this point; I've met so many awesome people and have made so many friends. There's really nothing else like it.

I've never dressed up, but I always like seeing all of the other cosplayers. I went to Sydney Comic-Con on the weekend, and overall I don't think the costumes were as impressive as usual overall, but there were some really good ones. Our cons are nowhere near the scale of the US ones of course, so we don't have as much variety. I only spotted one Doof Warrior!

There was also someone dressed as Shia Labeouf from that viral video. He had a green screen strapped to his back, and was walking about doing a spot on impression yelling "JUST DO IT! DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS!", with the flexing etc. Had the whole damn thing memorized perfectly. :lol
There was also someone dressed as Kung Fury, which was unexpectedly awesome.
Since the main guest was Richard Dean Anderson, of course there was someone dressed as Macgyver complete with mullet wig.

Got my photo taken with Richard Dean Anderson and David Hewlett, both from Stargate. Both great guys who looked like they actually wanted to be there, and went out of their way to make everyone feel welcome.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 09:21:13 PM »