Author Topic: Mr. (SPOILER) is the worst undercover cop ever (Reservoir Dogs spoiler)  (Read 1114 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Titled it that way to as not to spoil it for anyone who is still going to see it.

Mr. Orange is the worst undercover cop ever.

1. He killed a civilian. Yes, she had shot him first when he and Mr. White went to car jack her, but shooting her in the chest and killing her instantly was bad, even though you can tell he instantly crushed him (the look on his face said it all).  Sure, it's likely that Mr. White kills her from behind seconds later if he doesn't, but still, a trained cop should know better.

2. He did a poor job of fitting in.  In the opening scene of the film, he barely said anything, while everyone else chatted away. 

3. He had a terrible poker face.  After Mr. White killed those cops during their getaway, as they approached the train tracks right before the car jacking, his body language screamed COP.  He was clearly deflated and stunned by having just seen Mr. White gun down several cops, which is a normal reaction of anyone with a soul of course, but if you are going to be an undercover cop in a caper like that, you have to act a little better than that.

Okay, calling him the worst undercover cop ever is a slight exaggeration, but it makes for a good start to talk about this great film. :biggrin:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: Mr. (SPOILER) is the worst undercover cop ever (Reservoir Dogs spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 08:13:26 AM »
This is still my favorite Tarantino movie, the one who introduced me to his style of film making and instantly made me a fanboi of him.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »
It is an amazing film, for me second only to Pulp Fiction in the Tarantino corpus.

I need to watch it again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 07:18:45 PM »
I love it, but I love all of his movies.  I can't say I love it as much as Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 07:35:08 PM »
I love it, but I love all of his movies.  I can't say I love it as much as Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown.

I put it above Jackie Brown, below Pulp Fiction and I'd have to think about Inglorious Basterds.

Mr. Pink: Hey, why am I Mr. Pink?

Joe: Because you're a faggot.

Mr. Pink: Why can't we pick our own colors?

Joe: No way, no way. Tried it once, doesn't work. You got four guys all fighting over who's gonna be Mr. Black, but they don't know each other, so nobody wants to back down. No way. I pick. You're Mr. Pink. Be thankful you're not Mr. Yellow.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 09:26:45 PM »
The Kill Bill flicks and Django Unchained are awesome, as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »
The Kill Bill flicks and Django Unchained are awesome, as well.
Indeed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
Everything he's done is great, well maybe not Deathproof but everything else.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 07:05:48 PM »
If I had to rank them:

1. Pulp fiction

2. Kill bill 1 tied with Reservoir dogs

3. Inglorious bastards

4. Django unchained

5. Kill bill 2

6. Jackie brown

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 07:27:27 PM »
And suddenly this is the Tarantino films thread.   :biggrin:

Never really thought about it, but with the points you mention, you're right.  I think the bigger question is why Mr. White never figured it out - that makes him the worst gangster of the bunch.

Kudo's to Marvin for keeping his mouth shut with Mr. Blonde.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »
Mr. White and Mr. Orange formed an even stronger bond than the one they had already after Orange was shot, and that, along with him thinking it was his fault, clouded Mr. White's judgment.  Given their age difference, White seemed to have an almost fatherly love for his fallen "compadre."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 10:25:06 AM »
Great film, by far my favorite QT movie.

I didn't think Orange's demeanor at the diner was a bad look for him. People are different. Crooks aren't by default chatty, and Brown was barely letting anyone get in a word anyway. The bad thing was giving him one story to hang his hat on. I know there would be more to it, but to say "here's a good story to tell, it will convince everyone you are on the level" is weak (though made for good cinema).

Kudo's to Marvin for keeping his mouth shut with Mr. Blonde.

Marvin might have thought he was a goner either way.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'