Author Topic: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #2 > #1)  (Read 12738 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #20 > #19)
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2015, 05:23:21 AM »
Well, you did call it.

That comment from him is kind of strange though, considering how concerned he seemed to be with mortality on that album.

I'm now moving to Japan in 3 weeks, and will be getting busier, so this will slow down, but I'll still try to finish it by the end of the month, if I can.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #20 > #19)
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2015, 05:42:06 AM »

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (1969)

The album before the album that killed jazz, and the first of Miles’ full-fledged fusion albums. He had already been tossing around the idea of an electric jazz with his previous group’s dying throes on Miles in the Sky and Filles de Kilimanjaro, but with a new group that is, at this point, a list of jazz legends (but then, find a group of Miles’ from between, say, 1957 and 1975 that wasn’t), the concept found full expression.

Now it’s tempting to say that fusion “explodes” forth on this album, but that would be an error, for more than one reason. Firstly: unlike Bitches Brew that followed it, which is a maelstrom combining many different genres and thus has a tenuous, hazy connection to traditional jazz, the link is much clearer on In A Silent Way. It has a bit more of a feel of relatedness to what came before, no matter how different the colours being painted with, and even the techniques are.

And secondly: “explode” is just not the right word to use when talking about this album. Listen to a few seconds of the first track, literally called Shhh/Peaceful. This is almost definitely Miles’ most beautiful album, even more so than Kind of Blue. It is a gentle, mellow, silky smooth kind of brilliance. It’s one of my favourite albums to listen to if I go hiking alone. There’s something really nice about being in the midst of a forest with this album.

So, there are two tracks. Shhh/Peaceful is built around the shuffling of a hi-hat and two notes repeated on the bass for its entire eighteen minutes, over which three keyboardists, Hancock, Corea and Zawinul, create a warm tapestry for the other instrumentalists to build on. John McLaughlin on guitar – who is, by the way, absolutely fucking sublime on this album – Miles on trumpet, and Wayne Shorter on soprano sax layer on solos which, other than Miles’, are far from imposing, but just glide past cosily.

The second track In A Silent Way has a bit more kick to it, though only just. It begins and ends with a gorgeous tranquil section from McLaughlin and Miles (this creating of songs by splicing together tracks from separate takes was almost completely unheard of in jazz at the time, and one of many reasons this album was considered heresy by some upon release). The middle section has a bit of a funk feel to it, particularly in a great bass line that comes and goes throughout, but remains almost hypnotic due to a persistent wash of keyboards as it build towards the album’s subtle climax.

The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East (1971)

Fun Fact: Duane Allman, second guy from the left, is sitting on a bag of weed in this pic.

Bold claim: this could be the best album ever made in terms of guitar solos. Duane Allman is a dark horse pick for one of the best guitarists of all time, despite the fact that he only appeared on two very notable albums before his death in a motorbike accident. One is Derek and the Dominos’ Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, a studio album on which he appears alongside Eric Clapton as guest musician; and this one, a live recording of the Allman Bros at Fillmore East, on which Duane really stretches out and show us what he was made of.

And oh boy what was he made of. Duane Allman played a Southern jam rock, if you like, a relentless Southern blues-rock shot through with the skill and clinicality of jazz (he studied albums by John Coltrane and Miles Davis as well as blues masters). His ability to play exciting improv, at times fast-paced, at times a gorgeous slow burn, is almost unsurpassed in rock music to this day. A co-worker of mine used to call The Allman Brothers a boring Lynyrd Skynyrd, whereas to my ears, Lynyrd Skynyrd are a poor man’s moronic Allman Brothers.

There are effectively two different versions of this album. The original release had seven songs, but there is now an expanded re-release with thirteen (including three that originally found their way onto their next studio/live album, Eat A Peach). I first cut my teeth on the original release, but later moved on to the deluxe. There’s not much reason to opt for the original, to be honest. The deluxe is a more accurate recreation of what a full Allman Brothers show was like at the time; plus, why would you decline more great music?

The two editions have a similar layout though. Both start with more concise blues rock pieces like Done Somebody Wrong and One Way Out, before ramping up into bigger scale jammed out monsters. Though the early album is also great, these jams are the highlights, on which the band and Duane Allman show off a remarkable agility and flair for thinking on their feet, on the jazzy In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, the furious blues anthems of Whipping Post and You Don’t Love Me, and the breezy carefree 34 minute spectacle of Mountain Jam.

(NOTE: all the tracks I’ve linked are on both the original and deluxe editions).

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #18 > #17)
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2015, 06:37:52 AM »
I've been meaning to get into jazz for some time, and thought Kind of Blue would be an accessible record for me,but your writeup makes me wonder if I'll enjoy this one more.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2015, 03:38:03 PM »
I've been meaning to get into jazz for some time, and thought Kind of Blue would be an accessible record for me,but your writeup makes me wonder if I'll enjoy this one more.
3 days late reply but I think you'd enjoy In A Silent Way more than Kind of Blue. Me personally,Kind of Blue is a bit too *sigh* safe sounding for me even though it's nowhere close to being that it's just that Modal Jazz isn't my forte. In A Silent Way on the other hand is like a well textured ambient album that has aged really well.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2015, 02:07:16 AM »
Well, you did call it.

That comment from him is kind of strange though, considering how concerned he seemed to be with mortality on that album.

I'm now moving to Japan in 3 weeks, and will be getting busier, so this will slow down, but I'll still try to finish it by the end of the month, if I can.

He was talking about the song Grace with that one, I think.

Good luck for the move, how exciting!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2015, 06:51:18 PM »
mwandishi is life changing.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2015, 08:34:25 PM »
Hell yeah. I never hear anyone talk about it, but it’s mad shit. I’ve never heard anything else remotely like Wandering Spirit Song in Hancock’s work.

I’m travelling at the moment, but should be able to update tomorrow.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2015, 08:05:32 AM »
I’m travelling at the moment, but should be able to update tomorrow.

:ipitythefool:
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2015, 08:24:47 AM »
Winger confrontating Fluffy with the harsh facts.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2015, 11:30:31 AM »
Sorry, I got busier quicker than I thought I would. I’m moving to Japan tomorrow. Won’t be able to update for 2-3 weeks, at least. Once I have time and internet, I can get back on it, but it’ll have to be on hold for now.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2015, 06:59:52 AM »
Hey folks, I’m almost ready to complete my list. Sorry it ground to a halt short of the finish, but to ensure I power through the final stretch in good time, I’ve been doing the write-ups for all the remaining albums before continuing. I have four to go, so I'll be done in a day or two.

Offline jsem

« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2015, 10:51:50 AM »
Haven't been on the forum for a while. Skimmed through your list so far and well... great taste.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2015, 08:59:15 PM »
Alright, here we go.

Ludwig van Beethoven – Symphony No. 6 (1808)

(I will adorn this write-up with a picture of the country).

Yup, this is my favourite Beethoven symphony. I’ve never met anyone else who seems to favour this one all that much. In fact, by the looks of it, this symphony has always lived in the shadow of others. It premiered on the same night as his 5th Symphony, obviously a slightly more well-known piece, and it immediately received far less praise than the “hit” of the evening. And considering my own taste in classical is mostly centred on the hugely stormy and dark emotional pieces of the late Romantic period, it’s quite uncharacteristic for me too that this one sits so high.

I believe I mentioned in a few of my earlier write-ups that I’m quite keen on hiking. There are few things I live for more than spending the day walking up a mountain or through a forest. I often intentionally go alone, though I know it isn’t very safe, because hiking is a way for me to get away from human things, and sometimes, I want that to be all other people too, even close friends. While sometimes I want to share the experience with others, in solitude, I find I can tap an even greater rejuvenation from the natural world. (One of my favourite words in German is Waldeinsamkeit –wood-onesome-ness, if you like.)

I think that’s why I’ve always been quite touched by this symphony. It’s one of Beethoven’s only pieces of programme music, and it’s basically about a dude going for a stroll in the countryside. He sits by a brook, he sees country villagers singing and dancing, there’s a thunderstorm, and then the weather settles and he goes walking again. I wrote for Beethoven’s 9th that I find his reputation for doom and gloom isn’t terribly accurate, and rarely more so than here. His 6th is for the most part joyous, a celebration of simple pleasures and the world beyond our rows of houses.

The latter movements are great, but the first two sections of this symphony are my favourite things Beethoven ever wrote. The first illustrates the rush of happiness at simply being afoot in the country on a nice day. The second movement, which depicts lolling next to a stream, is just breathtaking, almost impossibly serene, a piece of music that feels entirely at peace. The instruments, when they’re not acting out the lazy flow of the water and the countrygoer’s own temperament, imitate birds singing in the trees to brilliant effect. Nine times out of ten, I can’t listen to this piece without stopping everything I’m doing, closing my eyes, and absorbing myself in the atmosphere it creates, which I can’t say about many a piece of music.

Miles Davis – Kind of Blue (1959)

I get why some people can’t see this album as the masterpiece that some others do. Generally speaking, if you asked people to describe jazz as a genre, their description would either be of bouncy antique big band swing, or the chill, quieter, leisurely style that is heard on Kind of Blue. The sound on this album completely encapsulates that stereotype of jazz, and the same way that when you play anything with even the vaguest country leanings in front of someone not fond of it, they can’t listen past their preconceptions long enough to start taking the piss, so I think it might be difficult to listen past how unsurprising and standard this might seem as one of the pinnacles of jazz.

At this point, I could launch into how on Kind of Blue, Miles and his group were toying with a modal jazz style that was ground-breaking in jazz at the time, and that this was in no way standard or safe jazz. But I’m not going to bother, because that’s not where the appeal of the album is; nor are people wrong when they say it doesn’t sound as risk-taking and experimental as many of jazz’s other greatest albums. It was at the time and to this day remains irrelevant that the songs here were pushing stylistic boundaries.

As someone who doesn’t play an instrument, it’s very easy for me to see why a lot of people have no interest in jazz – in which most songs are unapologetically just the various musicians taking turns to play a solo with no concern for brevity or catchiness – and yet a lot of those same people warm to Kind of Blue. I like Jimmy Cobb’s comment that Kind of Blue “must have been made in heaven”.

The album is clearly completely effortless for the musicians. There was just a chemistry and vibe in these sessions that cannot be repeated. The album has the most laid-back, chilled out atmosphere I could imagine music having, yet I’ve never once found it remotely boring. That’s because the solos here are gorgeous, exquisitely melodic, every single one. Kind of Blue must be the only jazz album on which you can probably sing along with every solo on every song after five or ten listens, without being some watered down, lowest common denominator garbage. For whatever reason, when making this album, the group just continuously pumped out both extremely beautiful and very catchy solos – which is a wee bit surprising, considering one of the main soloists is Coltrane, whose style is pretty dense most of the time.

There is no picking favourites on this album. It’s perfection start to finish. But here’s So What, the opening track. If you like that, just keep going. (And as a sidenote, if this album ain’t so much your thing, check out the album Milestones, from the year before, with a very similar lineup, also experimenting with modal jazz, but a totally different album, very energetic and spritely.)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #16 > #15)
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »
Listened to Kind of Blue a few months ago, and I liked it a bit for its laid-back, chill atmosphere. Might have to get back to it soon :P

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »
Miles Davis – Kind of Blue (1959)

awesome.  #12 on my list.
Winger would be better!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2015, 05:05:59 PM »
I will now make reference to this comment:

there are still one or two albums coming with similar themes to A Northern Soul, I Forget Where We Were, and Time Out Of Mind. Albums of their sort just seem to be my kind of thing.

If anyone wants to try and guess what they might be (and gets one right), you will be richly rewarded.

to which sneaky replied:
Superunknown?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2015, 05:20:36 PM »

Soundgarden – Superunknown (1994)

When I spoke of two other “bleak existential crises of albums” to come on the list, sneaky not only guessed Grace, which was coming up, but got one of the ones I meant.

Ah, the sweet, impeccable brand of existential dread that is Superunknown. This album is a nice example of the brokenness and doom grunge could peddle, and yet it towers inexplicably above the genre with a confident mastery. Soundgarden, like all of the early grunge groups, originally delighted in being roughshod and lo-fi in their approach, but like most of those groups who went on to a wider audience, eventually compromised those qualities for others – in their case, a deliciously fluid, often groovy heaviness (I love the quote by their guitarist Kim Thayil that the band were trying to write “Black Sabbath without the parts that suck”), and a far superior sense of how to write a great rock song.

Grunge collapsed in on itself a year or two after this album, but it didn’t matter. This was its endpoint. It had been perfected. I’d go as far as to argue (I'll edit in a bold claim here) that a mainstream rock album to rival it hasn’t been released since, and considering the state of mainstream rock these days, may never be.

Superunknown has 15 songs, and never once does the band drop the ball throughout, though I’ll concede most of the biggest singles from the album aren’t its finest moments and work much better within the context and flow of the album. Among its best moments are the semi-Eastern Head Down, the neat groove of My Wave and Spoonman, the heavy almost-metal of Mailman and Limo Wreck and 4th of July, anthemic Superunknown, the closing mini-epic Like Suicide… I could just list every song, really.

I’ve already given a fair idea of what to expect lyrically: the enormity of existence, your best efforts to cope leaving you with failure, alienation, disorientation, contradictions. Whatsoever I’ve feared has come to life, whatsoever I’ve fought off became my life. I’m only faking when I get it right. I’m the wreck of you, I’m the break and the fall, while the rest of you harvest the gold. For all your kisses turned to spit in my face. Eyes were waking up just to fall asleep…

Swans – To Be Kind (2014)

From a thirty year career with fifteen odd albums, I’m only familiar with the three albums put out since this band’s return from hiatus about five years ago. I’ve heard bits and pieces from their earlier albums though, and I think the comments I make apply to their earlier music as well.

There have been times when I feel drawn towards tribal music, but its characteristics and aesthetics are just too far removed from what I’m familiar with. It’s a universe away from music with verse/chorus/verse structures, played with skill and relative brevity, that is always on the move. There is still some allure though. In music that is extremely simple, repetitive, and drawn out, groups communicate with each other and with natural and supernatural forces. It’s about ritual, heralding the start of the new season or the coming of age of the young, as occurs every year and always has. It was a way of celebrating and exploring the primordial and the elemental, pondering time and the universe and our place within them.

Swans are fascinating because, despite remaining within modern Western rock music, it kind of sounds like they're making tribal music. They really feel like they are tapping the same kind of forces, and pursuing a similar aesthetic. They can literally play the exact same riff for three minutes, for ten minutes, with no variation, and it’s fascinating. They impose and imprint raw, simple, mantric tunes upon the fabric of existence with a sledgehammer, all the while reaching out and searching the sounds they’re creating for their every experience and lesson.

My first Swans album was The Seer, on which the band took their pummelling, almost sickening noise rock and, more than ever before, pushed it oxymoronically into the majestic, radiant territory of post-rock. As awesome as it was, they one-upped that on To Be Kind. The almost 60-year old Michael Gira (the oldest man to ever abuse his body and scream his guts out in the service of experimental music?) delivers a superbly confident and uncompromising ten songs that run for two hours and are excellent and enthralling from the first second to the last. On disc one, the highlights are the slow grind of Just A Little Boy and the epic Bring the Sun/Toussaint L’Ouverture, while the last three tracks on the second disc are all outstanding – the pulse of Oxygen, soaring Nathalie Neal, and To Be Kind, with an escalating din that feels like the end of the world.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:29:11 PM by Fluffy Lothario »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #14 > #13)
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2015, 07:13:44 PM »
Ok now I must give To Be Kind another chance since you're the second person I know that has that album in their top 15 :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2015, 07:38:48 PM »
I quite like this Soundgarden album and even thought of putting it in my HM's, but honestly, Spoonman is my favorite song by them and I can't leave a comment without mentioning the song. Great album pick tho

EDIT: Youdid mention Spoonman, nevermind, must've missed it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:43:15 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2015, 09:32:04 PM »
Superunknown is killer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2015, 09:45:16 PM »
Superunknown is killer.

ditto that.  Also in my top 50.
Winger would be better!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2015, 11:54:20 AM »
Ok now I must give To Be Kind another chance since you're the second person I know that has that album in their top 15 :P
I can't say I ever needed any convincing. It took me a few listens to The Seer to get used to what Swans were about, but I knew on literally my first listen to To Be Kind that it was gonna be one of my very favourites.

One way I like to think of the album is that if ( ) is Iceland, To Be Kind is the African savannah.

I quite like this Soundgarden album and even thought of putting it in my HM's, but honestly, Spoonman is my favorite song by them and I can't leave a comment without mentioning the song. Great album pick tho

EDIT: Youdid mention Spoonman, nevermind, must've missed it.
Yeah, Spoonman is probably one of their best songs. It reminds me a bit of Black Dog by Led Zeppelin.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2015, 12:05:51 PM »
Bitches Brew is my favorite Miles album, but both In a Silent Way and Kind of Blue are amazing as well. Great to see Swans! To Be Kind is either my second or third favorite album from them, such a great discography.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »

Van Morrison – Astral Weeks (1968)

This album is a bizarre one-off oddity in the history of music. Not only did Van Morrison never manage to create another album like this throughout his career (though he certainly tried a few times), but it has never really been replicated by anyone. The very next album on the list was an attempt by that particular artist, by his own admission, to try and capture the mood and vibe of this album, and although he didn’t do too bad at times, maybe, like Kind of Blue, this album was a one-time event, and it’s impossible to recreate.

Van Morrison already had a lot of experience with writing punchy poppy rock songs; he wrote most of the songs for his first band Them, who are still known mostly for Gloria, and as a solo artist had already delivered Brown Eyed Girl. On Astral Weeks, his second album that would potentially make or break his career, he basically threw all that experience away and went off in a totally different direction.

Astral Weeks is a mesmerising mix of folk, rock, jazz, and soul. The songs have quite an unconventional style. While some offer a more recognisable folk or rock structure, many are like a weird meditative jazzy folk, and over all of these, Van Morrison spins out a strange semi-concept album with lyrics that are a blend of fantasy and reflections on his youth in Northern Ireland, often written in a dizzying stream-of-consciousness style, feeling at the same time like the stuff of cherished memories and sparkling dreams. In its best moments, this album is just euphoria. At times, I get to the peaks of Astral Weeks or Cyprus Avenue or Ballerina and I’m actually crying. Cyprus Avenue in particular is immensely powerful, a song simply about being in the midst of a moment so breathtaking, you find yourself overpowered.

And I'm caught one more time
Up on Cyprus Avenue
And I'm conquered in a car seat
Not a thing that I can do

I may go crazy
Before that mansion on the hill
But my heart keeps beating faster
And my feet can't keep still

Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues (2011)

(This is the other “bleak existential crisis” of an album, though one of a much different timbre than the others).

This album floored me upon first hearing it for both its musical qualities and for very personal reasons. I discovered it while I was reeling from the most scarring breakup of my life. Six months after the fact, I was still having nightmares that kept me awake most nights. I was working a fixed contract teaching job that didn’t pay very well, and partly to punish myself for being myself, and partly for monetary reasons, I starved myself of over a quarter of my body weight (around 23kg / 50 pounds). When this job finished, the search for the next one meant I had to live with even less money for some months, and ended disastrously.

As such, the album appealed to me very strongly because of the circumstances it arose from. Songwriter Robin Peckinpah found himself ruminating on the inconceivability of the universe, and on his mortality. He had no idea what it was all about, but he suddenly realised he was getting old, he was slowly dying, and he couldn’t just sit and dwell on it anymore, he had to forget about being a special snowflake and become a cog in the wheels of society and get to work carving his place out. He set out to communicate all of this on his next album, and it consumed him to such a degree that his girlfriend left him. This in turn cast its own shadow across the album. Montezuma says it all in the first so many lines:

So now I am older
Than my mother and father
When they had their daughter
Now what does that say about me?
Oh, how could I dream of
Such a selfless and true love
Could I wash my hands of
Just looking out for me?

In this way, the first Fleet Foxes album, a great albeit undeniably contrived set of pastoral songs evoking wild mountains and weathered peasants and flitting birds, was followed by a very different album, the very personal and emotional Helplessness Blues. Yet it fit perfectly with the “lush indie folk shot with sunburst and impeccable vocal harmonies” sound of Fleet Foxes, and resulted in no less than my favourite album of the last ten years. The title track is an obvious highlight (If I know only one thing, it’s that everything that I see of the world outside is so inconceivable, often I barely can speak), but I love the sublime hopelessness of Lorelai (I was old news to you then), and the hopeful last touch of Grown Ocean (I will see you someday when I’ve woken, I’ll be so happy just to have spoken).

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #12 > #11)
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
To Be Kind is great. Wouldn't put it so high myself but it's one of their strongest for sure.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2015, 06:19:11 PM »
Yay I called it :P to be (kind) honest, Cornell lyrics are the first thing that come to mind whenever someone mentions 'existentialism'.  'Haunting, existentialist poetry' is how Tim Commerford put it, I think.

Superunknown, I agree, is totally unrivalled in mainstream rock.  Every single track is worth its run time, and you never get the feeling that the band was doing anything other than themselves - there's no mainstream selloutness, its just honest, real and raw.  Fucking stellar. 

I think I'm in the same boat as Zantera, re: To Be Kind.  I've maybe sampled a couple tracks but haven't had a proper listen through.  I hope I find it as great as everyone else does. 

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2015, 07:38:04 PM »
Top Ten time!

Tool – Lateralus (2001)

Well, this is it; the last metal album on the list, and one of the most uncharacteristic metal albums out there, especially in its time, one that is less about anger and sadness and darker human emotions, and more about the paths by which we might escape them and prevent them besetting us.

Tool started out so ferocious, they barely knew what to do with themselves. On Opiate, you can hear their promise, but their anger is so blunt, it cripples their songs. With each album, they dialled it back a bit, and their songs became progressively better. Lateralus was still a massive shock when it came out though, not just for how far they had stepped back from their previous ire and how good their songwriting had become – they had gone from penning punkish blasts of energy to meditative sprawling progressive metal - but as much for the company it kept. Months after it was released and went No. 1, so did Iowa by Slipknot, a pretty good yardstick for nu-metal and, regardless of what else you have to say about it, not exactly brimming with positivity.

Singer/lyricist Maynard James Keenan was supposedly reading about Buddhism when the band were making Lateralus. The spiritual themes really take a front seat at times as well. Take title track Lateralus for example, loved and constantly cited by fans for incorporating the Fibonacci sequence into the lyrics and some minor aspects of the music (black, then, white are, all I see, in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me, lets me see). Which is cool and all, but I’ve never once seen a fan of the song who brings this up mention WHY it’s cool, because in and of itself, it’s meaningless. What does the Fibonacci spiral do? It spirals outwards endlessly. What’s the song about? About a kind of enlightenment gained by embracing the here and now, reaching for the infinite impressions one might gain from every moment, and the cumulation of such experiences, of which the Fibonacci spiral works as a metaphor.

The album generally speaks out against narcissism and egocentrism, clinging to grudges and blame and one’s own anger and hate, and preaches empathy, communication, humility and the search for enlightenment. My favourite tracks are The Grudge, Reflection and the album’s centrepiece and antithesis, Ticks and Leeches, an intentionally ugly, utterly furious track. I’ll admit I’ve never been able to decide if Ticks and Leeches is there in the middle of the album as an illustration of what the album encourages you to move away from, or as an acknowledgement that the path it proposes isn’t an easy one, and that you’re still gonna falter, maybe even spectacularly, but it definitely stands out amidst the other tracks.

Sergei Rachmaninoff – Piano Concerto No. 3 (1909)

So as I’ve mentioned before, when it comes to classical, although I like some variety, I’m more drawn to the great dramatic expressions of the late Romantic, and it doesn’t get much greater and more dramatic than this. Rachmaninoff was a respected composer by the time he wrote his third piano concerto, but he had fought hard to get there. His first symphony received some of the worst reviews music could possibly inspire, and he lived with depression for years afterwards. His second piano concerto undid the damage five years later, and is still favoured over his third by most, I think.

The reason I love the third so much is the degree of seamlessness between the piano and the orchestra. When I listen to early piano concertos (concerti?), it sometimes irks me that composers were still working out how to combine the instrument with the growing orchestral cast without one dominating the other. Though they share the composition, there are obvious orchestra sections and piano sections; the two alternate more than they are united. Indeed, one will often very inconspicuously grind to a halt, and there is a pause before the other proceeds with the piece. Now the orchestra plays; now the piano plays; now they briefly come together.

Rachmaninoff’s third is an incredible example of a composer intertwining the two expertly. Very often when I’m listening to this concerto, I realise I’m hearing only the piano, and I think to myself, “how long has that been going on?” The orchestra and the piano are mingled entirely into one means of expression, to the point that unless you’re consciously monitoring, you won’t catch when one of the two components withdraws and the other stands alone. In fact, the orchestra rarely stands alone at all; it’s mostly there to support and back up the piano, as anyone who knows Rachmaninoff knows that the piano was his forte. :neverusethis:

Rachmaninoff’s third is seamless in another sense too – its transition from expressing one emotion to another. The first two movements are generally of a more subdued despondent tone with dark, overwhelming climaxes, and the last has much more energy and builds to a very uplifting ending. But the piece swings from gloominess to really lovely passages and back with sensational lightness and ease throughout.

The highlight of the concerto is definitely the first movement. The early stretches, the opening theme and the swirling piano that follows, accentuated and accompanied only lightly, are mystifying. A tension escalates, which first brims over in a collective effort, before at eleven or twelve minutes, it comes again entirely at the hands of the piano, with a magnificent, banging, crashing reinterpretation of the opening theme.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #10 > #9)
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2015, 07:44:45 PM »
wow an album i actually recognize  :lol
Lateralus is so good though, yeah
never thought of the lyrics that way though, i mostly just come for the music

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2015, 01:46:37 AM »
I just revisited Lateralus last week after maybe 2 years of not having heard it, and it still holds up.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2015, 01:50:37 AM »
I thought of putting Lateralus on my list, kept comparing it to the other 'contestants' and in the end the album just doesn't do as much for me, I definitely like it though.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »

Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)

It’s amusing how so many prog albums these days are seventy plus minutes, if not sprawling double disc affairs, yet an album like Close to the Edge can outclass them with a fraction of the total running time. And it’s not like you couldn’t write albums that ran that long back then. It was viewed as a bigger statement than it is today, but it was achievable. If they had wanted to, surely Yes could’ve spent a bit more time and stretched this out with a bunch of shorter tracks or added another epic or something. But there’s no need; despite the loftiness of prog, and certainly of the music here, there is a completeness to Close to the Edge’s thirty eight minutes that is seldom achieved in a seventy minute album.

I imagine I don’t have to go into any detail about Yes here. For the record, since this is the only Yes album on the list, I do like all of their albums from The Yes Album to Going for the One, and might like more beyond them, though I’ve just never looked further. But there are some bands I listen to by whom I enjoy a number of albums, but I am so taken by one that, with time, all the others are completely eclipsed by it, and I rarely, if ever, feel any need to listen to anything but that one perfect expression of what I like about their style of music. John Coltrane’s Ascension. Megadeth’s Rust in Peace. Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks. And this is another.

Close to the Edge is like a symphony dedicated to elation. If they hadn’t been written by a prog band, Yes’ lyrics would surely be touted as a masterpiece of psychedelic expression. I’m not going to pretend I can interpret much specific sense or meaning from them. And I don’t think you’re meant to. Some lyrics are written not to be dissected and analysed and precisely understood, but to communicate emotions and tones in an abstract sense through an outpouring of imagery and the way the language feels. A lot of my favourite lyrics are of this style. Close to the Edge utilises the style to convey both a spiritual serenity, an inner harmony with nature and the order of the universe, and an uncontainable, intense glee.

I favour And You And I very slightly over the other two tracks, but nothing here is worse than anything else. Every track is perfectly realised. Close to the Edge is an epic about nirvana (or maybe about death) that moves between periods of frenetic ecstasy and contented bliss. And You And I is, at its heart, just an awesome love song, and Siberian Khatru is a quirky piece about God knows what, but it leaves the album on a soaring note.

(I decided to still include links in case someone reads this who hasn't heard Yes, though I don't think it's likely).

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (1970)

Bitches Brew is one of the few albums for which you could make the claim that it single-handedly revolutionised an entire genre of music. In these ninety five minutes, jazz is torn to pieces and reassembled with added components of psychedelic rock and funk and world music. This jazz couldn’t even be called jazz anymore, and the music being played here and that it inspired had to be given a different label, jazz fusion. Bitches Brew forced a watershed moment on the genre. If you wanted to keep playing jazz, you simply had no choice but to do it in reaction to Bitches Brew and fusion. If you didn’t embrace it in some way, and went on as you had before, you were rejecting it.

Having started to make apparent the inspiration of Jimi Hendrix and Sly and the Family Stone on previous albums, and tapped an ambient atmosphere on In A Silent Way, Miles now wanted to go all out. For Bitches Brew, Miles assembled an enormous cast of musicians. Trumpet, sax, and bass clarinet; two, if not three keyboards; electric guitar; one, if not two bassists; and up to four guys on drums and percussion. On any one track, there are between eight and thirteen musicians playing, often all at once, combining to create a great echoing electric symphonic cacophony of noise.

I’ll re-use the image I’ve described the album with in the past: with Bitches Brew, Miles took a map of jazz, tore a hole in it, led a caravan into the abyss, and they sonically depicted the things they saw down there. There is an eerie yet alluring feel to the music on Bitches Brew. The music has a gloomy tone which you can hear the musicians positively revelling in creating. The album is murky and often quiet for long periods, yet it crackles with energy and inspiration.

Try the opening minutes of Pharoah’s Dance, a spooky combo of bass clarinet and ghostly keyboards. Try the main refrain of Bitches Brew, Miles sending out one reverberating blast after another on his trumpet (Miles’ playing style had a quiet vulnerability to it until his fusion phase; now he played with an ever more imposing, muscular style). Try the rumbling jungle funk of Spanish Key. Try the bizarre lopsided freakout of Miles Runs the Voodoo Down, my personal favourite track – aside from Miles’ own warbling screaming contributions, there’s an astonishing section in the middle where Zawinul and Corea on keyboards and the two drummers all just start smashing into each other in a glorious mess of sound.

All the music on Bitches Brew was conceived and played in three days in loose jams in which Miles gave the musicians very vague direction. It was then up to producer Teo Macero to continue the experiments he had begun in In a Silent Way in cutting up long performances and assembling them into compositions, at the time a controversial travesty in jazz. As such, he is considered as much the genius behind Bitches Brew as Miles or the musicians themselves.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #8 > #7)
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2015, 03:03:47 PM »
Bitches Brew is my favorite Miles album, but both In a Silent Way and Kind of Blue are amazing as well.
Now I will say that I agree.  :lol

I still need to hear quite a few of his albums though. I mean, he has quite a few. I've still heard almost nothing before he formed his Coltrane quintet in 1956, and almost nothing between Kind of Blue in 59 and his earliest electric recordings in 68, and none of his stuff after he came back in the eighties.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2015, 03:13:14 PM »
Close to the Edge is an album I need to listen to more, since the title track is great and the only song I'm not familiar with at this point is the middle track  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2015, 09:34:54 PM »
Really want to get more into Yes, that's going to happen sometime in the next few months, but until then, I can't really say anything about these.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2016, 02:10:34 AM »
Bitches Brew is my favorite Miles album, but both In a Silent Way and Kind of Blue are amazing as well.
Now I will say that I agree.  :lol

I still need to hear quite a few of his albums though. I mean, he has quite a few. I've still heard almost nothing before he formed his Coltrane quintet in 1956, and almost nothing between Kind of Blue in 59 and his earliest electric recordings in 68, and none of his stuff after he came back in the eighties.

He has a large discography! I have only heard Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, A Tribute to Jack Johnson and Agharta myself.