Author Topic: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......GRAND FINAL RESULTS  (Read 69596 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......Round 6 RESULTS...........Rd 7 OPEN
« Reply #735 on: October 20, 2015, 05:38:59 AM »
He's doing alright though , so it works  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: October 20, 2015, 05:42:10 AM »
Come on, I'm 31, I can't get a little slack?

Anyway, I'm always pretty elusive and lack paying attention to detail in general.  I get found out at work quite a lot for the same sort of shit.  It's not just you guys.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: October 20, 2015, 05:42:53 AM »
Again, I can't for the life of me remember what I sent.  :facepalm:

Anyone ever tell you that you suck at paying attention...................to your own submissions?  :lol   Between my roulette and Chad's ...........we have issues with reading OP's , remembering how many rounds and knowing what we sent (or where our Sent folder is) . There seems to be some sort of attention deficit/memory loss disease going around here.  Some have old age as an excuse but not you Kade  ;D

Or it could be that he just doesn't care. 

:rollin :rollin

Fucking love that gif.  Was gonna say I only pay attention to the important stuff but wanted to be nice.  ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: October 20, 2015, 05:46:11 AM »
I'll give you the inside running.................there's gonna be a lot of questions in your roulette :neverusethis:

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: October 20, 2015, 05:52:14 AM »
Wait, so you're just automatically assuming you'll be a participant then?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: October 20, 2015, 05:53:35 AM »
Nup - just gonna post questions

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: October 20, 2015, 05:56:59 AM »
I got nothing else, but I ain't even mad, and I still can't fucking remember what the hell I sent you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: October 20, 2015, 05:58:42 AM »
That gif makes everything better - cracking me up.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #743 on: October 20, 2015, 05:59:10 AM »
Seems like a mostly dud round.  I can guess which of the above is mine, and it ain't pretty.  Costanza approach failed.
A comparison to Nemesis sounds like praise to me, so they aren't all bad. Is yours the bad action movie one then? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: October 20, 2015, 06:04:38 AM »
"There’s some catchy rhythms here and there  , some decent melodies but the sound lacks any real punch and as a whole I didn’t think the song came together into a cohesive track."

" If the nice solo/interlude in the middle had gone on for a while longer it could’ve taken the song to another level but alas it did not"

"in between the instrumental sections the song just plodded along , the chorus was pretty flat and the vocals in general were pretty average IMHO."

I went to my emails and reminded what I sent, and I have a bad feeling any one of these could be mine.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #745 on: October 20, 2015, 06:11:55 AM »
"There’s some catchy rhythms here and there  , some decent melodies but the sound lacks any real punch and as a whole I didn’t think the song came together into a cohesive track."

" If the nice solo/interlude in the middle had gone on for a while longer it could’ve taken the song to another level but alas it did not"

"in between the instrumental sections the song just plodded along , the chorus was pretty flat and the vocals in general were pretty average IMHO."

I went to my emails and reminded what I sent, and I have a bad feeling any one of these could be mine.

I didn't have to go to my emails, but otherwise ... ditto.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #746 on: October 20, 2015, 06:34:33 AM »

This appears to be mine. Another low score then.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: October 20, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
Looks like there are multiple participants fighting for the shit comments.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #748 on: October 20, 2015, 06:59:30 AM »
If I am optimistic, this comment is mine.

"As I neared the end of the song I was thinking an ? would be about right but the outro guitars snagged you an extra half point."

Would rather lower my expectations and expect the shit comment.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #749 on: October 20, 2015, 07:01:04 AM »
Looks like there are multiple participants fighting for the shit comments.   :lol

Add me to the group. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: October 20, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »
Working on some more "shit comments" right now to meet demand .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: October 20, 2015, 07:21:58 AM »
Working on some more "shit comments" right now to meet demand .

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #752 on: October 20, 2015, 08:26:33 AM »
"The first thing that came to mind for me at the start of this was a “dramatic” moment in a really, really bad 70’s or 80’s action movie :lol  "

I'm going to guess this one is mine  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: October 20, 2015, 09:03:10 AM »

I didn't have to go to my emails, but otherwise ... ditto.

Seriously, these three could be mine too. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #754 on: October 20, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »
Bottom quote could be mine. I l;istened to the track yesterday and thought wtf did I send this for?  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: October 20, 2015, 09:14:16 AM »
Every time I see "it could be mine" I wanna go "but you're way out of li eeeee ine " 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: October 20, 2015, 09:14:32 AM »
Just had a re-listen of my song, and while there is a nice solo/interlude, I don't think Brent would consider it being taken "to another level"... I suspect (for his tastes), it was already on pretty low level - like the most rocking church music ever.   ;) :lol

Maybe he'll surprise me though - this song has a bit of 'punch' in it (imo), and I don't think it's a 'plodder' by any stretch.

Then again... TASTES!!!

Bottom quote could be mine. I l;istened to the track yesterday and thought wtf did I send this for?  :lol

I thought that about mine before I even sent it.   :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......Round 7 RESULTS.........Rd 8 OPEN
« Reply #757 on: October 20, 2015, 10:01:41 PM »
So things are really tightening up with the scores now - thanks in part to some well timed use of bonus points.  Aside from my favourite track I didn’t get much in the way of metal that I really liked this round, which saw a fair amount of lighter rock up the top end.  The tracks I had lined up for a possible 6 did grow on me a bit and so the range of scores wasn't quite as big as I initially thought.

1) Damnation Angels: Pride (The Warrior’s Way) – Bolsters  Rating :9.5

I recall sampling songs from this album and thinking it (and Pellek’s vocals) were a bit too “fluffy” in the power metal stakes , but this song is sure heavy enough for me.   I really enjoyed the follow up album too as you know.  The first thing that came to mind when I heard some of the melodies in this was Stratovarius’ album Nemesis. According to the “jingly book of plagiarism” I heard Nemesis first and therefore , even though Nemesis came after , Strato were ripped off big time :lol

When the violins started around 3.30 it felt like the end wasn’t all that far away and I wondered how this was going to make it to almost 10 mins but in the end the song exploded out of the calm interlude and the time was filled out nicely with some rockin’ metal and nice “battle hymn” style melodies.  The outro dragged on a bit longer that it needed to but that’s nitpicking.  When it comes down to it this type of power metal probably isn’t my favourite style of metal to listen to all day but for what it is it’s a great track.

2) Seven Tears : Reflections – wolfking  Rating: 9

Good stuff Kade.......a good reminder here of your AOR cred ,although of course you still like Work of Art a bit too much :lol    This is the first artist of the roulette so far where I listen to it and am surprised that I haven’t heard of them...........so brownie points there.  They seem to be filed away under prog metal in various circles , but I feel it’s really not that heavy.  Anyway – strong melodic song , if a little generic in parts .  The vocals are strong without being brilliant but it’s the jumpy rhythm guitar and a nice solo that gives the song a bit of an edge than it otherwise might not have had. If the whole album is just variations on this then it would probably get old fairly quick but I will check the album out. They remind me very much of another band which I might save up for your roulette if you like these guys.

3) Yes : Lift Me Up – erwinrafael  Rating: 9

The gang vocals that fill this song are quite nice and remind me of any number of pop rock bands on the radio in the late 80’s.......the sort of sound we Aussies heard on albums by John Farnham, Southern Sons, Daryl Braithwaite, 1927 etc.....    I am assuming that this is a later version of the Rabin Beverley Hills 90210 lineup (or close) and on the whole I thought it was nice enough pop rock with a much bigger sound than I associate with Yes. As I neared the end of the song I was thinking an 8.5 would be about right but the outro guitars snagged you an extra half point.  I get the impression that whenever I find the time to properly get into the Yes discog that the Rabin era will appeal to me more.

4) Myland : Anytime – Lowdz  Rating: 8.5

I was aware of this one and I am guessing that at the time it came out I wrote off the vocalist.   I have mentioned that I can struggle with “squeaky” vocalists like Rob Moratti (and Pete Morten) and this guy sounds like a cross between Moratti and Hugo.......so it’s testing my boundaries.   I have been racking my brain for who the music sounds like and I think it may be Departure.  Anyway – this sort of AOR with reasonably heavy guitars and strong soloing used to be my bread and butter and I haven’t listened to much of this style of late.  So even though it’s a touch generic it sounded fresher than it might have 10 years ago and I quite enjoyed it . The vocals were probably the difference between an 8.5 and a 9........ I am not sure why they left the duff vocal note in there at 5.06 either?     This is probably the first time I have heard those tap slides on the guitar since Richie Sambora in his prime or Van Halen’s Dreams.  Nice stuff haha.

5) Vicious Rumors: Dreaming – jjrock88  Rating:8.5

I was a pretty big fan of the early Carl Albert fronted albums and so I am not sure why I don’t have this , the last album before his tragic death.  This isn’t quite as strong as the best songs from those albums but I still enjoyed the track.  As happens on some of their other stuff the rhythm guitar sound is a bit of a muffled mess but the rest sounds great.   It was great to hear Albert’s voice on something “new” – he’s great in a ballad too.   The solo section could’ve been better if I wanted to be picky.

6) Al DiMeola : Race With Devil On Spanish Highway – Big Hath  Rating : 8.5+1 bonus = 9.5

The first thing that came to mind for me at the start of this was a “dramatic” moment in a really, really bad 70’s or 80’s action movie :lol From there it went into a more traditional prog sound . As a general rule I don’t like 70’s prog (or much else from the 70’s) but the production and playing on this is a bit ahead of its time , like my all time No 1 album (Van Halen 1)  .   One thing I often struggle with in 70’s music (with some notable exceptions) is the relatively primitive guitar playing , but none of that here.    In the end the only reason this didn’t score higher is the lack of an earworm lead melody but there were some cool rhythms and playing in there,.  I do tend to prefer my instrumentals a little more structured/less “loose” but I did enjoy this.

7) Spock’s Beard: Day For Night – jingle.boy  Rating:8.5

This was a brave submission right after I bagged Neal Morse and his pompy brand of church music :lol . It was also brave sending Hendrix earlier ,so I appreciate you trying to push me a little. I should say right off the bat that I don’t find Morse’s voice anything special – “pleasant” is probably the best word – but in this style I am not so fussed as long as he can carry the music and he can.    This is at the lighter end of my taste and at this level of heaviness/musicianship I would tend to grab some Toto instead to be honest .  Having said that – relative to the Morse solo track in the last round there’s a bit more of an edge to the melodies + the rhythm guitars here and hearing that bass out front helped as well.   Nice serene interlude in the middle with acoustic guitar and strings.  The guitar solo was a bit underwhelming – better effort there and it might have been pushing for a 9 but I have settled on 8.5.     

8) The Hsu-Nami : Rising Of The Sun -  Sacul  Rating: 8.5+1 = 9.5

I did hear of this band on DTF quite some time ago (jammindude??) and did check out a song on bandcamp if memory serves correct.  I did mean to check them out further but never got around to it.  The first part of this song has some quirky rhythms with the strings etc..... and as it progresses it becomes quite catchy. In fact many of the parts of this song feel like they shouldn’t work together but they do. An enjoyable listen Sacul , but I have my doubts about my ability to listen to a full album in this style.

9)Holy Shire: Winter Is Coming – Evermind  Rating: 8.5

I see “holy shite” every time I look at that band name :lol  I can’t say that I have a great strike rate with liking “folk metal” but the folky aspect here is just a whiff , it’s not overdone and there’s some nice elements to the song.  The underlying melody is nice ,if a little repetitive.  Although I liked this it’s not anywhere near my favourite metal tracks with female or male/female vocals and so I struggled to get too far above 8.  If the nice solo/interlude in the middle had gone on for a while longer it could’ve taken the song to another level but alas it did not.  If I was involved in this song it also would’ve faded out at around 5 mins.......the extra minute really didn’t add to it IMHO.

10)Coheed and Cambria: 21-13 -  splent  Rating 7 + 1 bonus =8.

The start of this song had me dreading the next 10 minutes but this turned into one of those odd songs where I like parts of it and really dislike others.  On the whole I found the song left me a bit flat.   There’s some catchy rhythms here and there (where it rocked up a bit @ 1.20 , 2.30 etc..) , some decent melodies but the sound lacks any real punch and as a whole I didn’t think the song came together into a cohesive track. And that made almost 10 mins a pretty rough listen. Normally when I struggle with a 10 min song like this it would attract a 6 , but this has enough good stuff in it to snag a 7.

Not that 7 is an awful score but don’t let this rating scare you from sending me progressive stuff – a third of my DTF Top 50 was prog metal .  I am just not a huge fan of the prog that C&C dish up it seems.   I also had a quick listen to the other song of theirs that you sent (before subbing in this one)and it would’ve rated around 7.5 .  I get the impression that Coheed and Cambria will have a few songs I like , but that they will be few and far between. 

11) Odd Dimension:  Light Speed Journey – TAC   Rating: 7.5

Like your Rd 5 submission (My Soliloquy) I really didn’t think much of this at all on first listen , but it did grow , just not quite as much.   It’s pretty basic prog metal really.  My favourite parts were actually the (long) instrumental intro and midsection interlude (nice drumming too) – in between those the song just plodded along , the chorus was pretty flat and the vocals in general were pretty average IMHO. And that album cover looks very familiar , so I am pretty certain I checked this one out properly and don’t have it for a reason.

When I don’t quite get a band like this I tend to have a little look around at some reviews to see if I’m all alone in my opinions.  As it turns out there seem to be two camps on this one – some people seem to think that these guys are the second coming of DT and others (a couple of the big metal review sites) rated it 5/10 and 6/10.   I would tend to go with the latter group I think (esp. first impressions) , although it’s not all that bad and my rating reflects that.

12) The Pineapple Thief: 3000 Days – kingshmegland  Rating: 7

This is the sort of music that I might expect to be punished with if I stole a pineapple...............yeah, I can see that.  :lol  Just kidding .   As a rule this sort of alternative pop rock vibe doesn’t really grab me , but then again there’s nothing hugely wrong with it and so I’m finding it hard to criticise it outside of the general “vibe”.   There’s some melody in there, it’s a smooth listen but the distortion/ heaviness of the guitars in the almost grungy intro and later  riff seem almost out of place relative to the rest , especially the “gentle” vocals.  I certainly didn’t dislike the song king but it also didn’t really grab me I am afraid.

Before the standings I will do a little summary of bonus points available from here and we’ll just cross them off as used:

DTF Fave Bonus Point Available:

jjrock88
Lowdz

Instrumental Bonus Point Available

TAC
wolfking
kingshmegland
Evermind

No Bonus Points Available

Bolsters
jingle.boy
erwinrafael
splent
Big Hath
Sacul

STANDINGS

I think if we allow for potential bonus points , I can still say that everyone is in with a chance at Top Six.  It does look like the Top 5 might almost be there unless someone drops a real turd. So it might be 7 fighting over that 6th place , with Sacul, then Lowdz/erwin currently best placed. It’s getting very crowded at the top all of a sudden too.

jjrock88  10+10+8.5+9+8.5 = 46
Evermind 10.5+9.5+9+8.5+8.5 = 46
wolfking  9.5+9.5+9+8.5+9= 45.5
Bolsters  9+9+8.5+9.5+9.5=45.5
Big Hath 9+9+9+8.5+9.5 = 45
Sacul  9+9+7.5+8.5 +9.5= 43.5
Lowdz  8.5+9.5+9+7.5+8.5 = 43
erwinrafael 9.5+7.5+10 +7+9=43
jingle.boy  8.5+8.5+8.5+8 +8.5= 42
splent  9+8+8.5+8+8= 41.5
TAC  9+8.5+8+8.5+7.5 =41.5
kingshmegland  8+8.5+9 +7.5+7= 40

Banned bands

Al Di Meola
Almah
Amorphis
Anathema
Angelica
Apple Pie
Ayreon
A.C.T
Animals As leaders
Big Wreck
Black Majesty
Blondie
Blind Guardian
Buckethead
Chaos Frame
Coheed and Cambria
Cryonic Temple
Damnation Angels
Dead End
Death
Down
Evil Masquerade
Haken
Haven
Holst
Holy Shite
Ice Age
Iron Maiden
Jimi Hendrix
Jon Lord
Karnya
Last Crack
Mandroid Echostar
Mark Knopfler
Marketa Irglova
Mr Mister
My Soliloquy
Myland
Mystery
Nazareth
Need
Odd Dimension
Opeth
Orphaned Land
Pablo Cruise
Pain of Salvation
Pandora's Box
Portishead
Primal Fear
Queen
Queensryche
Riverside
Sebastien
Seven tears
Shineback
Sieges Even
Spock’s Beard
Skid Row
Steven Wilson
Stream of Passion
Steely Dan
Steve Vai
The Black Mages
The Blitz
The Mob
The Neal Morse Band
The Pineapple Thief
The Sacrificed
The Hsu Nami
Throne of Chaos (TOC)
UFO
U.K.
Vicious Rumors
Warmachine
X Japan
Yanni
Yes

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......Round 7 RESULTS...........Rd 8 OPEN
« Reply #758 on: October 20, 2015, 10:03:43 PM »
21:13 is a weeeeird choice for Coheed, what the heck
especially since it's one of the weakest on In Keeping Secrets and I usually just ignore it  :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #759 on: October 20, 2015, 10:24:52 PM »
Round 8 submission incoming.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: October 20, 2015, 10:30:34 PM »
Happy with that.  Will send my song tonight.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #761 on: October 20, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »
Oh my. I got a good score but everybody's upping their game!

Brent, you should check out Yes' Endless Dream. Definitely the highlight of the Rabin-era Yes. Although given that you are not easily impressed with 15-minute songs, maybe it would not appeal to you.  :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #762 on: October 20, 2015, 10:33:16 PM »
so yeah, Di Meola's first four or five albums are a treasure trove of 70s studio techniques/sounds (maybe not his first one quite as much, it's slightly more raw).  But my goodness the man shreds.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: October 20, 2015, 10:34:37 PM »
The funny thing is, he rips like a mofo but looks like the total opposite of a shredder, funny stuff.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: October 20, 2015, 10:37:13 PM »
I'm happy with 8.5, was expecting less. I think the ending is the best part though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #765 on: October 20, 2015, 10:54:27 PM »
Hell yeah :metal

And don't worry about listening to a complete album like that - their two records are fairly short, less than 40 mins, and very fun to listen. Heck, their debut even has a cover of the Godfather's theme in that style :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #766 on: October 20, 2015, 11:31:30 PM »
Sent something from Titanic.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: October 20, 2015, 11:33:08 PM »
Celine Dion is banned - I have everything she has recorded.  TAC recommended her to me at the same time as Blondie and I've been loving it  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #768 on: October 20, 2015, 11:38:04 PM »
I guess Chad had better cross It's All Coming Back To Me Now off of his list, then.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #769 on: October 20, 2015, 11:52:52 PM »
Celine Dion is banned - I have everything she has recorded.  TAC recommended her to me at the same time as Blondie and I've been loving it  :metal

Celine Dion is gold compared to Mariah Carey.  :lol