Author Topic: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......GRAND FINAL RESULTS  (Read 69616 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......Round 6 LISTENING
« Reply #665 on: October 15, 2015, 04:58:49 AM »
I definitely prefer Coke Zero to Diet Coke. Tastes MUCH better!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: October 15, 2015, 05:02:44 AM »

I drink both ...................when I get sick of one I switch to the other  :D  And when I get sick of both of them , some Pepsi Max.   It's my one vice that crap (all of em)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #667 on: October 15, 2015, 05:06:38 AM »
come up with your own mind-fuck ideas!   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: October 15, 2015, 05:10:41 AM »

Tim knows what the fuck is up.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #669 on: October 15, 2015, 05:17:34 AM »
Diet is nasty
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: October 15, 2015, 05:19:20 AM »
Diet is nasty

It's tolerable, and I'll drink it if I need something sweet just so I don't consume calories, but zero is where it's at.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: October 15, 2015, 05:19:32 AM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: October 15, 2015, 05:25:49 AM »
We call it soft drink in Ozzie land.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: October 15, 2015, 05:31:42 AM »
Yeah, so do we.  I referenced it for my southern counterparts.  Canadians shorten soda pop to 'pop'; Americans (for the most part) use 'soda'.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: October 15, 2015, 05:41:32 AM »
I always though 'pop' was stupid, just my opinion.

Soda's good though.  Everyone can agree on soda, it's bubbly and refreshing.  I know some people don't care for soda though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #675 on: October 15, 2015, 05:59:34 AM »
I drank Coke like there was no tomorrow as a kid.  Only once in a while now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #676 on: October 15, 2015, 06:14:44 AM »
I remember going to Canada as a kid to play hockey and thought it was funny that the kids called it pop. I used to stay with a family, and then a kid from their team would stay with us.

When I was younger I drank Coke Classic constantly. When I was diagnosed diabetic, I quit cold turkey and didn't touch a soda, even diet, for like two years. But I do drink soda. Love washing down lunch with it.
Coke Zero>Pepsi Max.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: October 15, 2015, 06:21:35 AM »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #678 on: October 15, 2015, 06:25:18 AM »
It's pop, not soda

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: October 15, 2015, 06:36:17 AM »
I got through the ratings in record time this round and so didn't bother with the teaser quotes.

There really wasn’t anything that blew me away this round ,but there also wasn’t anything I really struggled with either.   The first 3 or 4 tracks ended up being growers and I moved up a few ratings from 8.5 to 9 ,but on my last couple of listens I moved most of them back down  :P

1) Haven: Deliver Me – jjrock88  Rating= 9

You certainly like your Tate sound alikes JJ – this guy sounds like he’s trying to channel a mix of Tate , Elvis and Plant. :lol  He does a good job but isn’t quite strong enough to absolutely nail it.  I can’t say too much more about this – it’s very strong melodic metal with good performances all round.  I feel that the next few songs that got 8.5’s had higher highs but also had some flat points and therefore came out a bit worse off overall.

2) The Black Mages: Maybe I’m A Lion – Bolsters  Rating= 8.5 + 1 bonus = 9.5

I have zero interest or time for computer games and so I really only know of The Black Mages by reputation and the odd sample I have checked out.  I’m pretty certain that this is one of the better tracks of theirs that I have heard.   I wouldn’t say that the musicianship is quite as stellar as most of the instrumental stuff in my collection but it certainly had me tapping the foot.  It seems pretty clear that they had Deep Purple in mind here and that’s not a bad thing.  Like many of the instrumentals received in the roulette this is more like a rhythm based backing track/structured jam with a solo rather than a more complex instrumental “song” with lots of lead guitar melody , but all the same I enjoyed it.  I initially had this rated as a 9 but over time it felt a bit less like a tribute to Deep Purple and more of a rip-off in parts.....the midsection is basically Burn with a few changes.

3)Need: Lifeknot – Evermind  Rating=8.5

This song has a sort of progressive modern metal vibe to it that took a little while to connect to but once it did I quite liked it.   The main riff (once things speed up) is simple but effective  , there are plenty of textures in the song and that’s often a plus for me.   Each time I thought the song was beginning to drift there was something fairly catchy shortly around the bend and that’s the key to good prog for me.   Short attention span and all.   There is certainly a huge mish mash of influences going on here –outside of their own unique vibe I hear everything from touches of DT, thrash,Pantera, Fates Warning (mostly the vocal) to a whiff of Alice In Chains.  It all comes together pretty well though and , although I wasn’t rapt in all of it (the chorus is a bit of a grungy plodder)  ,overall I thought it was a good effort.  It’s hard to go much above 8.5 for a song where the chorus is my least favourite part .

4) Chaos Frame : Giant Killer – TAC  Rating=8.5

This is a bit like Evermind’s song in that it is a bit all over the place in terms of pacing/structure , even allowing for its progressive nature .  Like Chad I loved the pre-chorus/chorus – the jumpy rhythm briefly brings Fates Warning to mind – but overall I felt that the various parts of this song didn’t come together in a way that was quite as cohesive as Evermind’s.  The instrumental mid section was quite cool though and on the whole I liked the song.  Plenty of highs but also a few sections,particularly in the verses, that weren’t quite at the same level and dragged down the score a little.  I didn’t feel it was far enough below Evermind’s to take you down to 8 , so it’s 8.5 for you too.

5) Evil Masquerade: Black Ravens Cry –wolfking  Rating= 8.5

I can see why you like this Kade – nice melodic chorus (which really carries the song)  and the riffs/ verses/solos have a bit of a Dio/Sabbath/Rainbow touch in there.  As we’ve discussed I have checked out plenty of their stuff and never been particularly impressed and so ,once again ,you have picked a song I quite like from a band that I don’t rate all that highly on the whole.  Good work.  The main riff is a bit of a plodder which I don’t mind, seeing as the chorus gives the song the lift it needs.  The chorus really carries this song actually.  The solo section is typical classic rock/metal style ,something which Flyman tends to like infusing his music with , but did plod a bit and take some of the life out of the song for me.  I rated this relatively low to start but it grew on me with repeated listens.

6) Amorphis: Silver Bride – Big Hath   Rating= 8.5

Based on what I have read about Amorphis (and your helpful intro) I think they might be one of those bands that have different eras and even material within albums that make it very hard for someone like me (who doesn’t like growls) to get a read on them without sampling a whole swag of material.  A good compilation band for me perhaps.   And this is one of the reasons why I came up with the “DTF Fave” idea in the first place – so you guys could make a much more informed selection of tracks than I would have done through random sampling.

There were some growls under the outro chorus but not enough to really impact the song adversely.  The song itself is quite catchy in a modern power metal sorta way ,although the main riff (while catchy) is rather generic power metal fare.  The solo section was pleasant enough but could’ve done with a touch of shred or a more substantial resolution.  Overall it was an enjoyable listen .

7) Marketa Irglova: Time Immemorial – Sacul  Rating= 8.5

Well this makes splent’s submission seem like death metal.  As you said in the thread this is a “nice ballad” . I have basically no female singer/songwriter stuff like this in my collection to compare it to , but I found it quite a soothing ballad that would be very pleasant listening when I am in the mood for something laid back.  That’s not very often I must admit but still........maybe I will surprise you here with my rating again but this is very easy to listen to with some nice melodies and rated accordingly.

8) WarMAchine: Eternally – jingle.boy  Rating= 8

Luckily for you nobody sent Taylor Swift :lol   This is fairly predictable melodic rock (the old “basic chord progression with changing base note” trick) with some very obvious Harem Scarem influence – even forgetting the involvement of the Hessmeister himself on backing vox.  It actually reminds me a bit of another Canadian band (Emerald Rain) with a similarly inferior vocalist (vs Harry) who used to enjoy ripping off Harem Scarem .   

The verses are pretty repetitive , the chorus is decent and the solo section is good too.  All good , but nothing really stands out to me compared to anything else in the genre.  Having said that it was a nice enough listen and rated as such,.

9) Mr Mister: Uniform Of Youth – splent  Rating= 8

Well now you’re getting heavier mate haha.................Mr Mister.    This song comes from the same album as the famous Kyrie and Broken Wings ,so it’s quality.   This sort of pop rock isn’t my normal cuppa tea but I do like Richard Page’s voice and he does a pretty good job of combining the lite keyboard heavy AOR sound with some decent guitar/bass work and in the end it’s very easy to listen to. I didn’t find this song quite as catchy as some of their other songs but it’s quality pop rock.

10) U.K.- Caesar’s Palace Blues – erwinrafael  Rating=7

You can tell from the moment that this starts that the drumming is going to be a large part of the attraction of the song.  I have of course heard of Bozzio but never really had a dedicated listen to his drumming.  The song itself is just okay and rather repetitive in terms of the limited vocal sections......it is obviously intended more as an excuse for the instruments to do their stuff.  The keys and violins were well integrated into the song but the tone of those instruments at times was very harsh and a bit like nails on a chalkboard.  I know it’s live but still............

I found it hard to separate my liking for the unusual instrumentation and the drumming from the fairly token  vocal sections and the grating tone of the instruments at times.

11)Neal Morse Band: The Grand Experiment – kingshmegland  Rating= 7

There have always been elements of Morse’s music that I have liked – obviously MP does a good job where he’s involved and there are some other strong musical moments.  But I must admit I have always found the songs of his that I have sampled a bit too “fluffy” and that’s the case with plenty of “pomp” music – some of the stuff by Styx has the same effect on me .   I don’t know how else to put it but , aside from some of the solo guitar work,  they lack any sort of edge from the material I have heard and sound a bit too much like the world’s most kick ass church band to me  :lol     

This is a nice enough song........it’s all very “pleasant” and there were some cool moments but on the whole I think I might have made the right move by just buying the guitarists solo album.  I can’t say that I find Morse’s voice strong enough to elevate the song either.

12)Sebastien: The Walls of Lyman Alpha – Lowdz    Rating = 7

As you know I have already heard this and , to be honest, I was a bit disappointed with the album as a whole.   I think it’s serviceable , pretty generic power metal with the obligatory anthemic chorus and a “wall of sound” production .  The intro to the solo section sounded promising but I struggled to find anything special about the song or the album really.  In the OP I listed a 7.5 rating as meaning a solid song that I would be happy enough to have on semi-regular rotation and for me this song is a tad below that mark.  Not terrible by any means but not doing much for me either.

Before the standings I will do a little summary of bonus points available from here and we’ll just cross them off as used:

DTF Fave Bonus Point Available:

jjrock88
Lowdz
splent

Instrumental Bonus Point Available

TAC
Big Hath
wolfking
kingshmegland
Sacul
Evermind

No Bonus Points Available

Bolsters
jingle.boy
erwinrafael

STANDINGS

Still very much anyone’s game – the range has blown out a touch but not too much has changed aside from a decent move by Mr Bolsters thanks to a strong entry with bonus point.

Evermind 10.5+9.5+9+8.5 = 37.5
jjrock88  10+10+8.5+9 = 37.5
wolfking  9.5+9.5+9+8.5= 36.5
Bolsters  9+9+8.5+9.5=36
Big Hath 9+9+9+8.5 = 35.5
Lowdz  8.5+9.5+9+7.5 = 34.5
erwinrafael 9.5+7.5+10 +7=34
Sacul  9+9+7.5+8.5 = 34
TAC  9+8.5+8+8.5 =34
splent  9+8+8.5+8= 33.5
jingle.boy  8.5+8.5+8.5+8 = 33.5
kingshmegland  8+8.5+9 +7.5= 33

Banned bands

Almah
Amorphis
Anathema
Angelica
Apple Pie
Ayreon
A.C.T
Animals As leaders
Big Wreck
Black Majesty
Blondie
Blind Guardian
Buckethead
Chaos Frame
Cryonic Temple
Dead End
Death
Down
Evil Masquerade
Haken
Haven
Holst
Ice Age
Iron Maiden
Jimi Hendrix
Jon Lord
Karnya
Last Crack
Mandroid Echostar
Mark Knopfler
Marketa Irglova
Mr Mister
My Soliloquy
Mystery
Nazareth
Need
Opeth
Orphaned Land
Pablo Cruise
Pain of Salvation
Pandora's Box
Portishead
Primal Fear
Queen
Queensryche
Riverside
Sebastien
Shineback
Sieges Even
Skid Row
Steven Wilson
Stream of Passion
Steely Dan
Steve Vai
The Black Mages
The Blitz
The Mob
The Neal Morse Band
The Sacrificed
Throne of Chaos (TOC)
UFO
U.K.
Warmachine
X Japan
Yanni

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:51:54 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......Round 6 RESULTS...........Rd 7 OPEN
« Reply #680 on: October 15, 2015, 06:43:10 AM »
Damn, there goes Amorphis off my list.  WarMachine is one I should check out, or on second thoughts, perhaps not.  Tight round.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #681 on: October 15, 2015, 06:51:29 AM »
Next round will be sent momentarily.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: October 15, 2015, 06:53:54 AM »
Still in last place huh?  Costanza time.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #683 on: October 15, 2015, 06:55:29 AM »
Duran Duran, or Animotion?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: October 15, 2015, 06:59:48 AM »

Not quite THAT level of Costanza.   :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #685 on: October 15, 2015, 07:18:23 AM »

Not quite THAT level of Costanza.   :lol

Yeah well I'm in last now. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #686 on: October 15, 2015, 07:30:21 AM »
Hell yeah  :hat

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #687 on: October 15, 2015, 07:38:35 AM »
 In my defense, I have sent you have your stuff, you've just heard it already!  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: October 15, 2015, 09:41:08 AM »

jjrock88
Lowdz
splent

TAC
Big Hath
wolfking
kingshmegland
Sacul

Bolsters
jingle.boy
erwinrafael

Do I still have to send songs or what? :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: October 15, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
will send later

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: October 15, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »

jjrock88
Lowdz
splent

TAC
Big Hath
wolfking
kingshmegland
Sacul

Bolsters
jingle.boy
erwinrafael

Do I still have to send songs or what? :lol

Thank god I'm not the only one that fuck's up their update posts!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #691 on: October 15, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »
Well that wasn't great...

I was worried when I read your email...
Change of tack (not TAC) needed I think.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #692 on: October 15, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »
I might start sending you nothing but ballads from now on :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: October 15, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »
No clue for me at the moment.  I think the good stuff has pretty much dried up.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: October 15, 2015, 04:30:12 PM »
No clue for me at the moment.  I think the good stuff has pretty much dried up.

I know you have a reputation to uphold  :metal and all ,  but some of the others have been doing okay with some fairly poppy stuff.  Just a thought .

I said something regarding melodic rock in the OP along the lines of "if there's any genre where I have almost heard it all............" and there is an element of that I think in the ratings.  It's quite possible for me to be more impressed by a pop tune or ballad that is fresh and interesting to me than an average track from an area that I am fairly well versed in.  Don't get me wrong though - if there is amazing metal I don't have I want it yesterday  :lol

Anyway................your judgement has served you well to this point after a shaky start, so trust your gut and go for/exclude whatever you think . Maybe your gut is right about the quality of the songs you are considering and you need to think outside the square.  Just sayin' - no need to stick to metal if you are worried about running out of quality.  I have surprised a few people with strong ratings in genres that aren't my normal cuppa tea.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: October 15, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »
Don't mess with my head dude.  :lol

No seriously, I have definitely thought about moving away from the metal thing.  I would love to send you some killer AOR but as you said, you've almost heard it all, and finding quality in what you haven't heard is a challenge.  I think that's why I've stuck with the metal, cause it just seems to be easier to nail something decent down.

I'll have a good look tonight and send something tonight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #696 on: October 15, 2015, 07:21:49 PM »

I know you have a reputation to uphold  :metal and all ,  but some of the others have been doing okay with some fairly poppy stuff.  Just a thought .

I have surprised a few people with strong ratings in genres that aren't my normal cuppa tea.
:\

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: October 15, 2015, 08:51:46 PM »
song sent!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: October 15, 2015, 08:55:10 PM »
It's quite possible for me to be more impressed by a pop tune or ballad that is fresh and interesting

I have surprised a few people with strong ratings in genres that aren't my normal cuppa tea.

Taylor Swift it is next round.   :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: October 15, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »

Taylor Swift it is next round.   :biggrin:

I look forward to it .......writing the review that is  :xbones

www.theguitardojo.com.au