Author Topic: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......GRAND FINAL RESULTS  (Read 69617 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......Round 4 LISTENING
« Reply #490 on: October 02, 2015, 12:55:57 AM »
Just a few  :hat   If I am thinking what you're thinking it's probably good for you as I didn't like it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #491 on: October 02, 2015, 01:10:01 AM »
Just a few  :hat   If I am thinking what you're thinking it's probably good for you as I didn't like it.

If I am thinking what you are thinking I am thinking, maybe I just enjoyed it because I have the comic books. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: October 02, 2015, 01:22:34 AM »
Looks like me spending my time not liking it has saved you a shitty score  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #493 on: October 02, 2015, 01:25:14 AM »
Well, Can't Get Back is pretty good. Punk Mambo, though, is really meh. Hahaha

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: October 02, 2015, 01:55:14 AM »
It's not all awful but I find most of their albums the same -  2 or 3 very good tracks and lots of meh , which is disappointing as they always seem capable of much more.  They have the talent but too often not the songs.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #495 on: October 02, 2015, 02:35:30 AM »
Yep. I actually bought the album to support the comic book company.  I have listened to their other albums and I think they would do better if they just stop doing concept albums. I think that's what's making them write a lot of meh songs.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #496 on: October 02, 2015, 04:04:32 AM »
Well, I just hope that one of the positive comments is mine.  :lol

Well you know it's not the comment about it working well as an interlude  :lol

Think that one is mine!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: October 02, 2015, 04:33:13 AM »
It’s the sort of music that I would really need to be in the mood for if I was to listen to a full album.

This could be mine, I think.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: October 02, 2015, 05:18:56 AM »
This song doesn’t quite have the vocal or instrumental brilliance to be getting a 10/10 but it’s certainly very strong power metal and there were some little melodic things going on that revealed themselves over multiple listens

This could be mine.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #499 on: October 02, 2015, 05:42:16 AM »
I could be up there... since I cashed in my second bonus point, I'm clearly not anything with vocal comments though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #500 on: October 02, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »
A strong, pacy guitar driven track that I enjoyed more than most $^$%^@  that I have heard.  I don’t think the chorus is brilliant but the guitars get this one over the line

So not a 6 then?  ;D

Any chorus with the line "Lit up like a Christmas Tree" surely cannot be brilliant....unless it's Coz!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #501 on: October 02, 2015, 02:06:36 PM »
I'm thinking one of two of those comments refers to mine.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......Round 4 RESULTS..........Rd 5 OPEN
« Reply #502 on: October 03, 2015, 09:21:38 PM »
We're running a day ahead of time but results are ready , so rather then pop off to bed :jingleboy: here they are  :lol

A really nice spread of stuff in here for Rd 4 . Some bonus points to be had (JJ pops up for his first with an instrumental, as does jingle.fella) and we also have some more DTF faves off the list.   Erwin gets a bonus point for Haken and Evermind takes out Anathema just for kicks.   Chad and Erwin are now out of bonus points.

After the strong ratings in this round everyone has at least two strong-ish scores, so all it’ll take for those trailing is one more strong round and things will be closer than many are fearing at the end of Round 5.   I have provided round by round scores in the Standings so you can all see how everyone is tracking for the culling of the 2 weakest rounds.   Everyone is still very much in it at this point -make Round 5 count boys!

1) Black Majesty: Firestorm – wolfking  Rating =9.5

I have certainly sampled a few Black Majesty tracks over time but never really felt that they were a cut above the hundreds of other generic power metal bands around the place.  Seeing as they are local boys I probably should have given them more of a chance.  This song doesn’t quite have the vocal or instrumental brilliance to be getting a 10/10 but it’s certainly very strong power metal and there were some little melodic things going on that revealed themselves over multiple listens.  The vocalist getting in a huge scream before the first verse was even over is very :metal and put a smile on my face.    In the end I was really enjoying it.........more than I probably should  :lol .  Having said that there’s not enough in this track for me to tell if they’re capable of setting themselves apart from the crowd over the course of an album or three.  If they have some decent variety in their material then I could certainly get into them properly, but if this is just the best of a bunch of similar power metal tracks then I’m not sure.  Only one way to find out I suppose.

2) Haken : The Mind’s Eye/Portals/Shapeshifter – erwinrafael  Rating: 9 + 1 bonus =10

Well you’re a brave boy Erwin.   Haken are in my DTF Fave list because I have sampled a few tracks and never been all that impressed and so you decide to gently try and change my mind with a 3 track “song” that is over 17 minutes in total.  Hmm – you wanna re-think that strategy?   :lol   

The good news is that you have pulled it off to a large extent. The songs do flow well into each other and I can see that they work fairly well as one unit. Across that 17 min journey there were a couple of flat points where my attention waned , and at times I find the vocalist a bit “plain”, but for the vast majority it did what I have been asking for – the progressive elements were almost always infused with melody and there were enough regular twists and turns (without meandering proggy stuff)  to hold my interest across a very long listen.  Each time it seemed that a proggy section was wearing out its welcome , there was a cut back to something more melodic/catchy before I zoned out ,which is the sort of writing that I like in “prog”.

3) Angelica: Harvest – jjrock88  Rating=  9+1 bonus = 10

Like a couple of instrumentals in this round ,I feel this is more like an intro or interlude rather than a self contained instrumental “song” but I am rating things on how I enjoyed the listen and I quite liked this.  It is a bit like a neoclassical thing you might expect on an early Malmsteen album but it is quite melodic in amongst the shred (and I don’t mind shred at all – Lowdz and I kept Shrapnel in business in the early days dontcha know :lol ) with some nice atmospheric keys backing it. How’s the rest of the album JJ ?

4) UFO : Fool’s Gold – TAC  Rating = 8.5

I have never been a huge UFO fan – aside from a few classics I just never found them near as ear catching as some of the albums from the various MSG’s.  That may be the songs , it might also be the vocals.  Phil Mogg is a singer that I have no problem with at all– he is pleasant enough to listen to but I don’t find him a big stand out in any area.  So I certainly wouldn’t avoid an album because Mogg is on it – I also wouldn’t go out of my way to find something he is singing on either.

So with this it’s mostly going to come down to the music.  The riffs are very straight forward “classic rock” sounding which I don’t mind and Schenker is shredding all over this in a way that he doesn’t always do.   A strong, pacy guitar driven track that I enjoyed more than most UFO that I have heard.  I don’t think the chorus is brilliant but the guitars get this one over the line.   I wavered a lot on the rating for this as the guitar playing is so much better than the other components of the song .  7.5 for the basic song , 9.5 for the guitars...........8.5 for Tim.

5) Sieges Even : Tidal – kingshmegland  Rating = 8.5

Another move in the right direction king. This may not quite have the musical highs of Apple Pie or A.C.T. but I felt it was the more consistent song.  Your taste is really quite modern – as a fellow fogey I just don’t have it in me to delve too much in that direction but you have chosen well here.  It does have that modern vibe at the beginning that can be a turn off to me but it also has a well integrated progressive edge ,nice vocal harmonies and there is basically no “down time” where I zoned out waiting for something catchy .

6) Down : Stone The Crow – Bolsters  Rating = 8.5

Kentucky Fried Pantera huh?    I don’t mind this – it has quite a unique country rock atmosphere and the main lick is quite the earworm.  The only album in my collection that it reminds me of a bit is Zakk Wylde’s Pride and Glory which came a year before. I wonder if there’s some influence there?    I am not sure that when Anselmo gets his more agro voice on that it suits the song at all times but for the most part I found it quite enjoyable. It’s no Cemetery Gates but certainly something I find very listenable.

7) Ice Age : Musical Cages – jingle.boy Rating =7.5 + 1  bonus =8.5

I have a vague memory that one of the Killer Z’s (Zook,Zydar) might have used another album of theirs in a roulette at some point? I seem to remember checking out The Great Divide album and being a bit 50/50 on it.  Anyway......

I have been known to be rather picky with the guitar instrumental side of things.   Having been a guitarist who grew up in the era of the shredders and spending 15 years or so playing/recording on the instrument myself I find it quite easy to visualise what is happening on the instrument, how impressive or otherwise the playing is and so forth. So I can be impressed/pissed off by factors other than just how it sounds with this stuff.  :angel: 

As I have hinted I tend to prefer a structured instrumental “song” rather than being based on jammy/less structured playing over a basic chord progression.   This one leans towards the latter for a fair part of it but then there’s the nice and unexpected keyboard section in the middle.  I find the structure of this song rather unusual in that regard and so I found the listen a bit up and down. Two minutes of technical guitar wanking probably isn't the ideal way to open an instrumental song - and it's mostly just open string pull offs which probably sound more impressive than they really are. If that had been kept to 30 -40 seconds rather than almost 2 minutes then my attention would've held much better and the rating may have been a touch higher. Just as an aside the section at 3.40 sounds a bit like Metropolis for a little while. 

That's not to say that there weren't strong points. I liked the song a lot better after the initial couple of minutes or so and as a rule the more melodic parts that had the keys backing the guitar were my highlights.     Not right up near my favourite instrumentals by any means but a solid listen that with a bonus point adds up to a strong score.

8) Anathema: Lost Control – Evermind Rating = 8.5

Anathema have been a bit like Haken for me .  I have sampled a few tracks and they have never struck me as my cuppa tea.   This track is quite nice......a slow melancholy song that’s not ambient enough to send me off to sleep and has quite an atmosphere to it. It’s the sort of music that I would really need to be in the mood for if I was to listen to a full album.

9) Kevin Gilbert : Goodness Gracious – Big Hath Rating =8

I am only loosely familiar with Kevin’s music .  I have the Giraffe s/t and to be honest I am not sure why I have it as it’s not near my normal taste – probably a “review buy” way back when.  I think I also have Toy Matinee somewhere.

Anyway – this has some typically cynical social commentary in the lyrics which works quite well with the music.  I don’t normally take much note of lyrics but from what I have heard from him Kevin’s often seem to cut through .   It sounds great and the song is quite catchy.   I hate to say but I think I prefer the track from the other album that we discussed.   With this one I was waiting for another tangent to develop and it never quite did.  Good song though.

10) Death: Voice Of The Soul – Lowdz   Rating = 8

I wasn’t expecting a track from Death but I can see why this was sent.   We have another instrumental here that is a bit of an interlude style track.    I can’t say that any of the playing is particularly impressive at a technical level but for a death metal band it’s a bit of a melodic feat. :lol    I found it quite a pleasant listen ,although I am not sure that there’s enough going on for me to be itching to play it over and over.  It would work very well on an album in between tracks to create an atmosphere, which I imagine is how it was employed. The acoustic strumming reminded me a little of WASP’s Crimson Idol at times – might just be me.

11) Worlds : Little Lens – splent  Rating = 8

Another very rare one from splent’s musical connections.   I wouldn’t know where to find this album and that’s saying something :lol      This is very definitely right at the wimpiest edge of my musical taste . I can’t think of a band to compare it to directly but it’s certainly that lite AOR/westcoast style.  The singing isn’t particularly powerful but it’s nice and melodic and he has a very nice range.   The rhythms got a little jarring at times which I can only assume is due to programmed drums – I used them on the few solo pieces I recorded so I can’t talk  :)   Not brilliant but certainly a nice song that I would be happy to have on from time to time.

12) Portishead: Glory Box  - Sacul Rating = 7

As soon as I saw “trip hop” under the genre for this I wanted to trip hop as far away as I could.   I have no idea what all these genres are about these days but I actually don’t mind this.   If someone asked me to describe this I would say a female fronted , smoky jazz club type vibe perhaps?   I do struggle with the seriously dawdling pace but on the whole I thought it was quite okay , although not something I would listen to regularly.

Updated Standings:  Number of * = number of bonus points used.

Evermind 10.5+9.5+9+8.5=37.5*
Lowdz 8.5+9.5+9+8=35*
Big Hath 9+9+9+8=35*
Bolsters 9+9+8.5+8.5=35*
wolfking 8+8+9.5+9.5=35*
jjrock88 10+7.5+ 7.5+10=35*
erwinrafael 9.5+7+7.5+10=34**
jingle.boy 8.5+7.5+8.5+8.5=33**
Sacul 9+9+7+7=32*
kingshmegland 8+7.5+7+8.5= 31*
TAC 9+6+6.5+8.5= 30*
splent 9+5.5+6.5+8 = 29*

Banned bands

Almah
Anathema
Angelica
Apple Pie
Ayreon
A.C.T
Animals As leaders
Black Majesty
Blondie
Blind Guardian
Buckethead
Cryonic Temple
Dead End
Death
Down
Haken
Holst
Ice Age
Iron Maiden
Jimi Hendrix
Jon Lord
Karnya
Last Crack
Mark Knopfler
Mystery
Opeth
Pain of Salvation
Portishead
Primal Fear
Queensryche
Riverside
Shineback
Sieges Even
Stream of Passion
Steely Dan
Steve Vai
The Blitz
The Sacrificed
Throne of Chaos (TOC)
UFO
X Japan
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 01:34:04 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......Round 4 RESULTS....Rd 5 OPEN
« Reply #503 on: October 03, 2015, 09:27:40 PM »
Kind of expected a lower score, but I'll take this ;D Will send something with a bit more of energy soon.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #504 on: October 03, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »
for what it's worth, The Mind's Eye is probably my single least favorite Haken song, not that it's bad or anything  :lol
don't care much for Shapeshifter either, at least compared to the rest of their discography, maybe I'm just weird

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #505 on: October 03, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »
Yes, the gambit worked! I think Shapeshifter kind of pulled down the score but these songs really work  only if they are together.

Now just one more good entry and I would be back in the game and leave the Japanese gambles behind.  :rollin

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #506 on: October 03, 2015, 10:57:23 PM »
I keep thinking I'm going to get lousy scores for some of the songs I've sent and am pleasantly surprised when you like them, Brent. Though it makes me think that the things I'm more confident about are probably going to be utter failures. :lol

and...sent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: October 04, 2015, 03:22:06 AM »
Happy with that score.

Great game of nrl so far. Don't mind too much who wins being an all qld affair.  Do hope JT can get the premiership though.  Hunt and Macca got me a win in nrl fantasy so would like to see them get it too. Big fans of them. Having another drink and am almost gone now so I'm out hahaha.  I know everyone doesn't know what I'm talking about but I've had a few lol. See you tomorrow brothers. Rock on.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #508 on: October 04, 2015, 03:37:10 AM »
You lost me at "NRL". :D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: October 04, 2015, 04:36:19 AM »

Ditto........sound like I can expect Kade's Round 5 submission in a few days 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: October 04, 2015, 04:50:32 AM »
If Paul's was an instrumental, is he not worthy of a bonus point?

I'll take it, but still struggling to find 'the zone'.  Will send shortly.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: October 04, 2015, 04:51:25 AM »
If Paul's was an instrumental, is he not worthy of a bonus point?

Paul has already had an instrumental bonus point prior to this round.  Only one per person.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: October 04, 2015, 04:59:39 AM »
Copy that.  Wasn't paying attention.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: October 04, 2015, 05:06:18 AM »
As soon as I saw “trip hop” under the genre for this I wanted to trip hop as far away as I could.

:rollin  :rollin

Nice to see you liked it, but yeah, I mainly wanted to get Anathema out of competition because I suspected some people here would send it later on.

Will send Round 5 later today tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:28:45 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #514 on: October 04, 2015, 06:04:55 AM »
Nice. I figured you have no modern or minimal modern music so that's what this is all about. Finding new music. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #515 on: October 04, 2015, 06:12:26 AM »
Ditto........

Same here.

I'll take the 8.5. You're a tough grader.

And :clap: to Wolfking. While he did win The TAC Roulette, he proved to be one slick motherfucker. How the hell is Black Majesty not banned and how the hell did they get a 9.5?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: October 04, 2015, 07:00:51 AM »
Ditto........

Same here.

I'll take the 8.5. You're a tough grader.

And :clap: to Wolfking. While he did win The TAC Roulette, he proved to be one slick motherfucker. How the hell is Black Majesty not banned and how the hell did they get a 9.5?

All of the above applies to my thoughts. That Black Majesty song was sent in my last roulette, and is a cracker - why the hell didn't I check that band out further?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #517 on: October 04, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »
Yay not last!!!! :D

Still in last place though :(
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #518 on: October 04, 2015, 07:21:54 AM »

All of the above applies to my thoughts. That Black Majesty song was sent in my last roulette, and is a cracker - why the hell didn't I check that band out further?

I actually have 4 of their albums and I find them fairly regular. I enjoy them and all that, I just wouldn't think they'd be roulette worthy.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: October 04, 2015, 11:09:25 AM »
Round 5 sent

I have the debut from Angelica because it has Rob Rock on vocals.

That instrumental was from the second album, I haven't heard it in full.  I do have the track on a compilation album and I had also read glowing reviews for the song.  I like it, glad you did too.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #520 on: October 04, 2015, 01:25:04 PM »
Bugger. More bands scratched from my very short list - UFO and sieges even.

I'll take an 8. I like the atmosphere of that track and the album is decent. The vocals ruled out me sending a vocal track, although there are some great riffs and melodies in there.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #521 on: October 04, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »
Nice to see you liked it, but yeah, I mainly wanted to get Anathema out of competition because I suspected some people here would send it later on.
I had planned Fragile Dreams or Pitiless for future rounds  >:(

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: October 04, 2015, 04:08:54 PM »

I'll take an 8. I like the atmosphere of that track and the album is decent. The vocals ruled out me sending a vocal track, although there are some great riffs and melodies in there.

Maybe Sieges Even 2.0 is available?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #523 on: October 04, 2015, 04:16:08 PM »

Maybe Sieges Even 2.0 is available?

Nope.  I PM'ed him on it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #524 on: October 04, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
I'm going with Black Majesty 2.0!