Author Topic: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......GRAND FINAL RESULTS  (Read 68601 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 06:50:39 AM »

Question... if we send an instrumental from one of those 'bonus' bands, are two bonus points up for grabs?  Kinda joking, kinda serious.  Also, do we 'squat' on the band that we want to use now (and publicly), or just submit in Round 1 to make sure Ruslan doesn't cock-block me.  :lol

Only one bonus point per track but if your instrumental is from a "DTF fave" then I will allow you to choose whether that bonus point comes from the instrumental or "DTF fave" grouping.

if you are worried about being "cock-blocked" I would go early and go hard  :lol   As per the rules I will allow both tracks if you cock block each other in the first round (I'm laughing as I type this)  , but other than that once it is submitted it is banned.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:56:46 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 07:09:19 AM »
^ roger that.

And hey... I just noticed the lack of lonestar on the participation list.  Finally, I don't have to feel bad about using tunes he's put me on to - not that I ever do anyway... well, maybe just a little. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 08:17:37 AM »
I still have a handful that I didn't check either, as I'll seriously shart myself if he knows them.  Then again, he's got Big House and Slik Toxik, so getting some Canadian Glam past his collection will be a feat.  Though, the band I have in mind wasn't much more than a bar band - though, a very well known Canadian melodic industry icon did contribute to and engineer their only studio album.

I got a Cannuck one past you!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 08:37:06 AM »
I still have a handful that I didn't check either, as I'll seriously shart myself if he knows them.  Then again, he's got Big House and Slik Toxik, so getting some Canadian Glam past his collection will be a feat.  Though, the band I have in mind wasn't much more than a bar band - though, a very well known Canadian melodic industry icon did contribute to and engineer their only studio album.

I got a Cannuck one past you!

You did indeedy.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while.  :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
Also, do we 'squat' on the band that we want to use now (and publicly), or just submit in Round 1 to make sure Ruslan doesn't cock-block me.  :lol

Dude, I'm playing in your own damn roulette. I'm not going to do that. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
How do I know what and when to send
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2015, 11:38:09 AM »
He'll let us know when to send the first song and he's leaving it open every round on what to send.  It's up to you and if you think he'll like it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2015, 11:42:21 AM »
He'll let us know when to send the first song and he's leaving it open every round on what to send.  It's up to you and if you think he'll like it.

I have ideas. I'm very eclectic

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2015, 11:45:09 AM »
Now you have to tailor what you like to what you think Brent will like.  Then adjust seeing his scores.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2015, 12:16:37 PM »
Now you have to tailor what you like to what you think Brent will like.  Then adjust seeing his scores.

Yeah I have a few ideas up my sleeve.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »
Ok, public question time.  I love me my concept albums.  Any rule against sending 2 songs as one entry... like an introductory track, or a pair of songs that just pair perfectly together (eg We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions)?

So long as they're not both 10 minute songs... but like a pair that run 7-8 mins or something like that?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2015, 01:30:44 PM »
I wouldn't see any problem with that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2015, 07:46:45 PM »
Ok, public question time.  I love me my concept albums.  Any rule against sending 2 songs as one entry... like an introductory track, or a pair of songs that just pair perfectly together (eg We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions)?

So long as they're not both 10 minute songs... but like a pair that run 7-8 mins or something like that?

You raise an interesting point here - here's hoping your songs are as awesome as your questions :neverusethis:

I am glad that you mention the time thing - if I say "Yes" I imagine some smart ass will submit something like SFAM and say "it's meant to be listened to as a whole"  :lol   

Seeing as you mention concept albums , I will comment on that too.  I have never subsrcibed to the theory that boring songs (not interludes) that have no real listening value as individual tracks can be made up for by an amazing concept.  I reckon I have 4 concept albums in my collection that are something special to me.

1 Queensryche -Operation : Mindcrime
2 Savatage: Streets
3 WASP: The Crimson Idol
4  obscure and will likely be sent in the jingle.roulette

I might have forgotten one there (not SFAM either)

In each of these cases the concept that permeates the album just adds to some already awesome songs.  Most of the rest I tend to feel like the concept has been shoe horned in at the expense of the songs.  I want to be able to listen to individual tracks and enjoy them almost as much on their own.

As far as song pairs go ..............yes , but I will need a good explanation as to why they "belong" together.  I sent a "2 track entry" to Big Hath in his roulette where there was a short instrumental intro to a vocal song at the start of the album.  The two clearly belong together and there was no time gap on the album , even though they were listed as individual tracks.   In the case of the Queen songs (I wouldn't say I have a lot of Queen btw , aside from Greatest Hits and a few albums) I think that would be acceptable as they were released as a double A-side and were constantly played back to back on the radio.

So case by case and with a good explanation as to why the artist intended them to be listened to as a whole. If it's just a short vocal/instrumental intro then just send it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:08:14 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »
I just did it to Chad in his and didn't even ask.  :hat It was just an intro though.  I'm out til tomorrow, but Brent probably gonna come up with another 50 or so bands to run past you tomorrow.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2015, 07:54:26 PM »
I just did it to Chad in his and didn't even ask.  :hat It was just an intro though.  I'm out til tomorrow, but Brent probably gonna come up with another 50 or so bands to run past you tomorrow.  :lol

All rejected  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2015, 07:58:46 PM »

All rejected  ;D

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2015, 08:07:29 PM »
So wait instead of just sending you a track I should put together a list of 50 bands that I think you may like and see if you're willing?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2015, 08:12:07 PM »
So wait instead of just sending you a track I should put together a list of 50 bands that I think you may like and see if you're willing?

Just have the one song ready to send but work on the others to send.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2015, 09:29:42 PM »

I will respond with a couple of quotes from above , and then comment further below......

So where is the legendary banned list?  :P

Look in the original post under the heading "BANNED ARTISTS/ALBUMS" where you'll find no list  :P :lol

I have well in excess of 2500 artists in my collection that should be on a banned list and in my opinion it's not practical.  Those who share a lot in common with my taste are pre-approving stuff.   I have been part of a few roulettes with you Sacul and I don't expect a lot of crossover in our collections , so just fire away and in the unlikely event that I already have the song/album in question then I will request a re-submission.

I know the Banned List can be a good indicator of the host's taste in music , which is why I put the extra time into the boring essay on my musical tastes.

BANNED ARTISTS/ALBUMS:    

I’ve tried , with little success, to think of a way to approach a banned list that covers my collection and doesn't become ridiculous.  Basically if I don’t have the ALBUM in my collection it is allowed.    I have already pre-approved a swag of artists with TAC, Bolsters and jingle.boy , so I am more than happy to do that for anyone that has similar taste to me and is worried about the risk of rejected submissions back and forward – it can save a lot of time.  Just send me a list of artists you’re thinking of using and I’ll respond with those I’ll allow and/or the albums I don’t have .

I think that'll work better than an infinitely long banned list  of artists where some albums may actually be accepted. If you're desperate then have a look at some of the other roulettes in recent times - I would say 90% of the artists submitted are news to me.  ;D 

Those of you that have less in common with my taste , just send away and we'll deal with any re-submissions as we go.

The Banned List is the way things are normally done and I expect that will be the way to go when you host your own roulette.  Just list 50-100 or more artists who form the bulk of your collection and ask the participants to avoid those bands.  I have gone a different way for the reasons quoted above.

The pre-approval process is something I opened up mostly for those guys in the roulette who I know have a lot of albums in common with my collection (most of them) , in order to largely avoid re-submissions during the roulette. I am uncertain as to how much common ground we share in musical tastes but my OP will give you some idea .

It's entirely up to you.  Just submit a song and see how we go (I will ask for a re-submission if I already have it) or send me a few bands you are thinking of and I will let you know if I have them in advance etc.......

When I am a participant I will generally come into Rd 1 with a short list of bands I think might be appropriate and then vary things as I get a better handle on the host's tastes as he/she comments on the songs submitted along the way.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:31:50 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2015, 09:47:27 PM »
Damn didn't notice that  :lol . Will send a short list in a while.

edit: Sent.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:55:59 PM by Sacul »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2015, 06:06:32 AM »
Started my listening and lining stuff up last night.

How many rounds is this? This would be difficult if it was only 4 rounds!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2015, 06:36:44 AM »
I now have a Banned List.

BANNED

1. Asking questions about things that are clearly covered in the OP

eg.
How many rounds is this?

2. Whining.

eg

This would be difficult if it was only 4 rounds!

Keep it to Chad's thread.  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2015, 06:38:23 AM »
I love you Brent.

I'll sent my first song soon.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2015, 07:37:37 AM »

BANNED

:lol

To be fair, you did write a mini-dissertation back there.

Tim... i'll HBO for ya (Help a Brother Out).  11 Rounds.  The first six, you get to drop your lowest three scores, so the real competition is only 7 rounds - as the top 5 after 10 rounds get to a final 11th "EP" round.

How'd I do?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2015, 07:40:29 AM »

To be fair, you did write a mini-dissertation back there.

To be fair ........you can just skip down to the Rules section and read a few sentences  ;)  ;D

Just having some fun ;)

How'd I do?

Not great  :lol
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:13:09 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2015, 07:42:25 AM »

RULES/TACTICS

1) Rounds: There will be 11 rounds ,divided into 5 prelims , 5 regular competition rounds and a Grand Final. 

You get to leave behind your two lowest scores in the 5 prelims .  The Top 5 after 10 rounds move onto the Grand Final round (rd 11) which is a 20 min EP.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:51:39 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2015, 08:22:48 AM »
I have just added Devin Townsend/DTP to the "DTF Fave" bonus point list.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2015, 09:34:09 AM »
I have just added Devin Townsend/DTP to the "DTF Fave" bonus point list.

I thought for sure that shoulda been there. I didn't figure he'd be in your wheelhouse.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2015, 10:34:47 AM »

BANNED

eg.
How many rounds is this?

2. Whining.

eg

This would be difficult if it was only 4 rounds!

Keep it to Chad's thread.  :lol

:lol

I can read. I know how many rounds there are.  I was just saying that it's a lot of rounds. 

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »
Man I wanna get started.

I'll send you a list in a bit.  I got a few that may float your boat.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
Man I wanna get started.

I'll send you a list in a bit.  I got a few that may float your boat.

Look forward to it.  I'm just waiting for Shadow Ninja to finish his roulette before we really get started but people can submit Round 1 whenever they like.

I was just saying that it's a lot of rounds. 

I have competed in roulettes with up to 10 rounds , so I go 11 just because.  :lol   

I very much doubt I will do this again so I'm gonna make the most of it  ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:19:23 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2015, 11:23:35 AM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2015, 11:42:18 AM »
Relevant - https://youtu.be/uMSV4OteqBE?t=78

Probably not surprising, but top 3 movie for me all time.

The scene in the limo where Nigel rolls up the window on the limo driver is pure gold.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2015, 07:05:45 PM »
 :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2015, 07:52:28 PM »
I have received the following question via PM

does djenty stuff interest you very much?

I had zero appreciation of what djent even is until recently and I am still not sure I totally get the idea but let's take something like Shattered Skies.  Hopefully I am on the right track with that.   There were a couple of tracks on it that I really liked (probably the most melodic ones) but the rest I found a bit tiresome.   My attitude is similar with most prog....(in this case) if it's just endless staccato guitar riffs and little in the way of melody then chances are I won't like it - combine the basics of the genre with some memorable melodies and song structure and chances are I might.

Not sure if that helps but my knowledge of the genre is limited.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au