Author Topic: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2 - v. The top ten  (Read 46952 times)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2 - v. Visions of Moving Pictures
« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2015, 08:17:57 PM »
Moving Pictures is top five all time for me

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2 - v. Visions of Moving Pictures
« Reply #386 on: October 20, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »
Triple (or quadruple?) update for y'all bros.

#15: Periphery - Juggernaut Alpha/Juggernaut Omega
Progressive Metal, 2015

Album of the year? Not quite... yeah, this section of the list has lots of stuff from this year. Just because this year was amazing!
Periphery have always attracted me but their music was far too complicated and growly to listen to. The songs were too much all over the place. And then this came out, and I saw praising everywhere, so I tried to listen to it.
Turns out that the band went for a more simple approach with the song structure, but fucking went nuts with the songwriting. The djent element is used in a clever way, still sounding aggressive but dense and not that 0000-ish. It's hard to describe really.

So, in this (these) albums we have a concept about a guy escaping from a cult which molested him since he was a child. He kills them all and then regrets doing so, so he kills himself, ending up in hell, where he will ascend from after a while.

The album alternates fun, and pop atmospheres with some of the heaviest shit one could imagine. For example, we have Heavy Heart, Alpha, Rainbow Gravity which could easily go to the mainstream radio, if rearranged in a more popular way. Then. You have. The. Crushing. Things.
The Bad Thing, for instance. That's a mean song. But, oh, that's not heavy. Not heavy enough. Certain sections of Four Lights, the entire Graveless, and oh my god, Hell Below... they truly resemble meanness. If you wanna get scared for how heavy a song can get, go listen to those, especially Hell Below.

Another good thing is the production - Periphery are essentially a super heavy band with THREE guitars, but somehow, the bass comes through in a great way. That's also because this album was produced by Nolly, the band's bassist. He did an amazing job.

So, overall, this is an awesome collection of songs. And fun.

#14: Rush - Hemispheres
Progressive Rock, 1978

Staple of the top 50 band Rush, release an album where they go insane. Hemispheres is just four songs, but oh my god are these four songs quite the songs.
Hemipsheres is a 17 minutes long epic philosophical journey into two opposing school of thoughts
Circumstances is a straight-forward rocker that rocks my socks off each time I listen to it
The Trees has this strange atmosphere around it, midway wacky and atmospheric
and then La Villa Strangiato. The epitome of Rush, as a progressive band. That's like my favorite classic prog piece, right there.

Nothing to say other than I still think this is one of the best bands ever.

#13: David Maxim Micic - Bilo 3.0
Progressive.. idk, music I guess  :lol - 2013

David Maxim Micic is Destiny Potato's guitarist and composer, and this is his third solo work. He did something beyond comparison.
This is one of the most unique records I've ever listened to. In its glorious 45 minutes, Bilo 3.0 visits a plethora of genres, but mantains a consistent sound, with an amazing production.  It starts with "Everything's Fine" a piano driven classical-music piece. It's beautiful, like its title. Then we get "Where Is Now?" which is a complete groovy mess: it starts almost gospel, then goes to waltz midway through, to blues (there's even a scat solo) and back to gospel at the end. It's truly a journey. But then comes my favorite piece, "Smile". With vocals provided by Potato's Aleksandra Djelmash, this song is possibly in my top ten songs of all time. A light but dark journey through pain and how to overcome it, all with amazing pop metal sensibilities, with a slight jazz influence and crazy electronics. Not to mention, that solo at the end, jeez. Smile is a perfect song. Period. Listen to it, and be amazed. The album then turns fusion-jazz for a bit. Nostalgia, is the reprise of a theme in Smile, only done in a fusion-jazzy type of way. Then Wrinkle Maze provides some more ambient/gospel atmopshere, and it's truly a beautiful composition, which makes me shiver everytime. The album then closes with the epic Daydreamers, which sprints positivity from every side. Amazing vocals from Vladimir Lalic and Aleksandra Radosavljevic (Potato's ex-vocalist), with a nice acoustic instrumental middle.

Now, the last three songs taken alone do not stand that well, but I can assure you that this album listened to as a whole (as with every album really) is quite the thing to witness.
And it was all made in a bedroom.

David is a genious.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:13:31 AM by mikemangioy »
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline jakepriest

Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2 - v. Triple update
« Reply #387 on: October 20, 2015, 02:20:31 PM »
Juggernaut is a top 5 album for me. Why aren't you participating in the survivor that's about to finish?  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #388 on: October 20, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »
juggernaut as a whole is alright but I really think they should've cut it down and released it as a single album.
I need to get Bilo 3.0 eventually but it's definitely on my to-do list

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: October 20, 2015, 02:25:18 PM »
Don't know the other two, but that's another classic Rush.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #390 on: October 20, 2015, 02:26:39 PM »
Don't know the other two, but that's another classic Rush.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #391 on: October 20, 2015, 03:23:23 PM »
juggernaut as a whole is alright but I really think they should've cut it down and released it as a single album.

No. It's stellar start to finish. The only weak song is Graveless and it's pretty fun live either way.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #392 on: October 20, 2015, 03:24:59 PM »
the difference between a periphery fan and someone who just thinks they're okay, I guess  :corn
graveless is one of the weakest songs across both discs though, I'll give you that one

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #393 on: November 02, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »
Remember me?  :lol

I'll just do other two updates, to end this thing as fast as possible. I've begun to hate myself.

#12: Destrage - Are You Kidding Me? No.
"Spaghetticore", 2014

This record right here is one of the biggest reliefs in history. My country lately has had all sorts of bad music in it, but then you come to discover this band and you just joy. Destrage are a mad group of five people, that in this album (their third) unite A LOT of influences from different genres and styles of music, into one epic, energetic, shivering and insane record ever.
The chaos is pretty evident, but it's so organised that the song stay with you even after the first listen. Infact, the songs are quite catchy.
There's a constant shift between simple and chaotic that works so well, with the production also being a high point. Please guys, give this a chance, it really deserves it.

#11: Between The Buried And Me - Coma Ecliptic
Progressive Rock/Metal, 2015

Now, this is for sure one of the nomenees for album of the year, this year. BTBAM brought something completely new to the table with this one, focusing more on melody (as Memory Palace says) and flowing arrangements, and crystal clear production. The result? A damn good chill out album that I listen to a lot this year. Each song is very strong and the overall vibe is just so.. I don't know, summer-ish and country-esque. It's hard to describe it.
This record tells the story of a man in a coma, who visits past lives of his. There are some really cool ideas in the lyrics and in the music (especially in the song The Ectopic Stroll, which is hands down my favorite, and Rapid Calm). An extremely good succession of tracks for an extremely good record.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:13:56 AM by mikemangioy »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2 - v. Past lives and chaos
« Reply #394 on: November 02, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »
I loved the BTBAM too, but I could never put an album that's only a few months old in a top 50 let alone top 15.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #395 on: November 02, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »
didn't dig the new BTBAM as much as I wanted to, i'm mostly indifferent to it. think i'm just past them  :lol
that destrage song has been growing on me even more recently so i probably need to check out that album myself

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #396 on: November 02, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »
I loved the BTBAM too, but I could never put an album that's only a few months old in a top 50 let alone top 15.
This. I still have to give it a full listen tho. And Destrage are fantastic.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #397 on: November 02, 2015, 05:32:43 PM »
I think an album has to be out almost a year before it can be codified as a top 15 album, unless you only have 15 albums.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #398 on: November 02, 2015, 10:00:09 PM »
you have 2 albums at #12
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #399 on: November 03, 2015, 12:14:22 AM »
Get it over with, just post the remaining 10. And next time you think of starting this stuff, write out all write-ups beforehand. I know how it sounds, but you didn't even finish your first list and now you're taking 2.5 MONTHS for the second (and it's not nearly finished yet). This is pretty ridiculous.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #400 on: November 03, 2015, 06:16:08 AM »
you have 2 albums at #12

whoops fixed

Get it over with, just post the remaining 10. And next time you think of starting this stuff, write out all write-ups beforehand. I know how it sounds, but you didn't even finish your first list and now you're taking 2.5 MONTHS for the second (and it's not nearly finished yet). This is pretty ridiculous.

I know, infact that's what I'm gonna do. I'm really sorry and I really suck at committing to this. But you're wrong, my first list is complete, the second was unfinished. This is a more recent version of the second. I guess I don't really view it as a big deal since I'm not cockblocking anyone.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #401 on: November 17, 2015, 01:47:55 PM »
LAST TEN AND THEN I'M OUTTA HERE BECAUSE I SUCK AT LISTS MAINTENANCE

Number TEN: Rush - Clockwork Angels

Nothing to do, my favorite albums are also the most recent ones. The thing is, I feel closer to them, and while I respect the classics (and adore them too), I tend to prefer more modern stuff.
As with this album, Rush did an amazing job, after nearly 40 years from the start of their career. The songs manage to be both dark and bright, catchy and thoughtful. Also, the steampunk thematics are freaking cool

Numer NINE: Haken - The Mountain

Some of the best stuff around lately in this album. A perfect clash, IMO, between old school prog and new school.
Nice to introduce someone to the genre.

Number EIGHT: Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet

One of the modern classics and epics. With this record PT went full blown dark (it's their darkest after In Absentia) to tell the tales of teenagers with some serious problems. All these songs are awesome, especially Anesthetize and the last two. Seeing Sleep Together live (even if it was not the actual band) was quite an experience.

Number 58 SEVEN: Dream Theater - Octavarium

I just love the simplicity of this album. These eight songs (well, minus the last two) feel very straight to the point, and fresh. Not counting the epicness of the title-track at then. Pure gold. Between my favorites by DT.
Also, the recurring themes are extremely well done (graphicly and musical NUGGETZ)

Number SIX: Devin Townsend - Deconstruction

This is the most brutal and crazy album on the list. One hour and twelve of absolute chaos, about an absolutely chaotic philosophical journey, that ends up in a rather..unexpected way. Takes a lot of listens to digest, but it's freaking worth it.

Number FIVE: Dream Theater - Awake

Also one of the most unique DT albums (although it resembles a bit TOT), I just plain love it. But I can't pinpoint why exactly. It has tons of great songs , from the heaviest (The Mirror / Lie) to the mellowest (Space Dye Vest), just pure Dream Theaterism.

Number FOUR: Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

BUTMATT IT CAME OUT THIS YEAR IT CAN'T BE IN THE TOP 50!!!!11!1!
Yes, it can, and it does.
From day one, I just knew that another timeless classic was born. Yeah, I know, a bit early to say that but it's what it feels like. A flawless record. Flaw-less. I wouldn't change a thing. It's perfect. And I saw most of it live, with Steven playing in front of me... and it's an experience guys.
This record also helped me a lot through tough times, so it's becoming like a memento for 2015. Possibly the most intense year of my life.

Number THREE: Between The Buried And Me - The Parallax II: Future Sequence

This is just an epic journey through space. It has to be my favorite storyline in a concept album, it's just that perfect and big. But the music, obviously, is what takes the cake. It's the perfect balance between insanity and melody that BTBAM delivered us since the first days. Shivers everytime. Also, the musicianship... man. Wow.

Number TWO: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Seeing this in the cinema, revived my love for it. Amazing well-telled storyline, with great great music. It's a timeless classic, much like the rest of Pink Floyd's album from this era, which are all (except for Animals) in the list. Love it. Loved it for a long time.

NUMBER ONE:

Once again, what can I say?
This has always been the epitome of music for me. Everything that I care for, about music, is in this very album.
Perfect from top to bottom. Musical bliss. And I am a bit worried for The Astonishing. Will it live up to this? I don't know... But we'll see.

Thank you for sticking by, and sorry for the slow updates and all. I think the next list is gonna be in a very long while, If I was to do another one. BYEEE

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2 - v. The top ten
« Reply #402 on: November 17, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »
man i know every one of these except the Rush one  :lol

The Mountain is  :tup :tup :tup
FOABP is alright but not my favorite PT, might be due to the fact that I'm not huge on Anesthetize
8VM probably shouldn't be this high even if I like it a fair bit, one of their better albums really
Deconstruction is cool too though there are parts I wish were cut  :lol
Awake is too low, actually
HCE is too new for me to feel it should be up this high and I don't find it amazing though it's pretty good, best SW solo album that I have at least
BTBAM is connecting less and less with me with each new release. Parallax 1 was solid but not as good as the two before it, Parallax 2 has some cool moments but is bloated and hard to listen through, and TCE is just... man, I wish I could connect with it at all but it leaves me so cold and bored  :lol
The Wall is a good album but the concept is a bit overwrought and there's a lot of tiny filler tracks I could've done without, doesn't come close to the three before it at the very least
SFAM is great though and I can totally see why you'd consider it your favorite album and favorite DT, it doesn't do as much for me as it used to but it was my favorite when I was first getting into the band  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #403 on: November 17, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »
oh also what even is the story of the parallax albums, i have no clue

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #404 on: November 17, 2015, 02:28:47 PM »

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: November 17, 2015, 03:18:18 PM »
Haven't listened yet
Fucking awesome
Pretty great
Pretty great
Not that familiar with it
Fucking awesome
AOTY
Haven't listened to it yet
Meh
Great

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #406 on: November 17, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »
10. Not a big Rush fan
9.  :metal
8. never heard of it
7. My 4th DT album, I like it way more than most people on the forum, so you get a thumbs up
6. My favourite Devin album, but I wouldn't place it this high
5. Meh. Used to love Awake, nowadays I never listen to it.
4. never heard of it
3. never heard of it
2. a few great songs, overrated as a whole
1. A solid no.1. SFAM is great from start to finish.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #407 on: November 17, 2015, 04:14:25 PM »
oh also what even is the story of the parallax albums, i have no clue

https://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2012/07/24/prognotes-between-the-buried-and-mes-the-parallax-part-i-introduction/
if you're patient enough, have a read
read through this all, a lot of this is technically speculation unless Tommy confirmed it I guess but it does all make sense and seems like a pretty cool story, yeah

a lot of vagueness though  :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: November 17, 2015, 06:07:12 PM »
Surprised and impressed to see Clockwork Angels in the top ten.  Cool!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: November 17, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »
8. never heard of it
4. never heard of it
If you're on this forum, you should definitely fix that :lol

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #410 on: November 19, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »
Even more unbelievable: "3. Never heard of it".    ...really?!
He's got a periphery avatar yet  he's never heard of (a particular album by) btbam?!

Thanks for the list Mangioy. I coulda gone for longer write ups for the top ten. Screw the "finish already!" haters. Especially thanks for helping me discover Destrage; I believe I'm over 40 spins in  under 3 weeks (new contender for 2014 AOTY) \m/

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: November 19, 2015, 09:36:30 AM »
Especially thanks for helping me discover Destrage; I believe I'm over 40 spins in  under 3 weeks (new contender for 2014 AOTY) \m/
Definitely seconding the Destrage recommendation  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #412 on: November 19, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
Destrage is the album that just missed the cut for my year-end haul but that also means it'll be an early 2015 purchase most likely  :lol
the album itself was.... certainly a thing, from the one listen I gave it

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #413 on: November 19, 2015, 10:08:14 AM »
A thing that lightens up my italian pride  :millahhhh

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #414 on: November 19, 2015, 10:12:05 AM »
early 2015
wow i'm just the worst
early 2016 duh duh duh ok

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #415 on: November 19, 2015, 12:58:22 PM »
He's got a periphery avatar yet  he's never heard of (a particular album by) btbam?!

Not a fan of BTBAM. Nothing I've heard from them have I found particularly enjoyable.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #416 on: November 19, 2015, 01:30:38 PM »
jake knows like 5 bands total i think  :P

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #417 on: November 19, 2015, 01:37:47 PM »

Not a fan of BTBAM. Nothing I've heard from them have I found particularly enjoyable.

ok, phew; as long as you're aware they exist.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #418 on: November 19, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »

Sounds about right.  :lol Start the Coheed survivor already you slacker.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #419 on: November 19, 2015, 02:10:04 PM »

Sounds about right.  :lol Start the Coheed survivor already you slacker.
end of the month i'll do it sheesh give me a break