Poll

Which era do you prefer?

Classic Era (TNOTB, POM, PS, SiT, SSOASS)
77 (74%)
Reunion Era (BNW, DOD, AMOLAD, TFF, TBOS)
27 (26%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Poll: Iron Maiden: CLASSIC Era or REUNION Era  (Read 9864 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Poll: Iron Maiden: CLASSIC Era or REUNION Era
« on: September 10, 2015, 04:06:08 PM »
Well, this is something that I've been thinking about a lot. Especially since The Final Frontier was released. Now with The Book Of Souls, each era now has 5 albums, though the Reunion Era albums are obviously longer.

The CLASSIC Era:
The Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Powerslave
Somewhere In Time
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

The REUNION Era:
Brave New World
Dance Of Death
A Matter Of Life And Death
The Final Frontier
The Book Of Souls

The Reunion Era is so incredible, but how can I leave the Classic Era behind which has provided me with some of the most important music in my life. So..it's the desert isle question. If you could only take the 5 albums from the Classic OR Reunion eras, which era would it be?

It is a damn tough question. Would love to see the discussion on both sides.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Re: Poll: Iron Maiden: CLASSIC Era or REUNION Era
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 04:10:42 PM »
No dilemma for me. Classic era. I grew up with it and wore the vinyl out on the first five albums. Started to lose interest after powerslave but not much beats the run from killers to powerslave.

BNW and AMOLAD were good and the new one is superb, but they're fighting history.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »
  but they're fighting history.

Yes they are.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »
With this new album, I'm not so sure which I prefer now.  Probably still classic though, but it's tough.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:21:07 PM »
Of course I'm gonna go with the classic line-up, but the re-union era's pretty damn good in its own right. For a band this late in their career, they still kick a lot of ass.

Offline 425

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 04:22:05 PM »
Reunion era, in a heartbeat.

Too early for me to comment on The Book of Souls, but the two albums before it are the best that Iron Maiden has ever done. BNW and DOD have their ups and downs, but both are more up than down.

No disrespect to the classic era—Live After Death is my favorite live album by any band ever because of the material from TNOTB, POM and Powerslave. But 1) I prefer the reunion era, stylistically, by a mile, and 2) the reunion albums, particularly AMOLAD and TFF (and possibly TBOS), are more consistent than most of the classic albums.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 04:22:13 PM »
Classic era, mainly because of Powerslave, SIT and Seventh Son. Reunion era has BNW and AMOLAD but it has DOD and TFF too, which brings it down a bit.

I think Iron Maiden and Killers should be included in the Classic era too.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline 425

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 04:30:30 PM »
I think TAC didn't include the first two 1) so that there would be two groups of five albums and 2) because there was a clear stylistic shift when Bruce joined, enough to warrant saying "this is one era, and this is another."
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »
I think Iron Maiden and Killers should be included in the Classic era too.

That's understandable. But I was really drawing a parallel between the 5 80's Dickinson albums and the 5 Reunion ones.

I think TAC didn't include the first two 1) so that there would be two groups of five albums and 2) because there was a clear stylistic shift when Bruce joined, enough to warrant saying "this is one era, and this is another."

Exactly!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 04:36:55 PM »
Ok  :smiley:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 04:44:40 PM »
I haven't voted and really can't decide. The Book Of Souls does NOT disappoint and solidifies how extraordinary the Reunion Era is.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »
Classic era of course. Nothing beats notb, ssoass, and powerslave
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »
I really like most of the reunion-stuff (BNW, DoD, AMOLAD and BoS are all great), classic still wins. Really, no question about it. Maiden's 80's run is what shaped a lot of metal that followed, and influenced tons of bands. A lot of the reunion albums are great (some fantastic even), but it's not nearly as influential as the 80s were, and it's basically Maiden doing what they have always done.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 06:54:35 PM »
I feel like there is way more filler in the classic Era albums, reunion is definitely more bang for your buck imo. But gun to my head I'd choose classic just because it's classic. Objectively looking at it, I'd say reunion Era albums are much stronger by and large.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 07:14:44 PM »
I feel like there is way more filler in the classic Era albums, reunion is definitely more bang for your buck imo. But gun to my head I'd choose classic just because it's classic. Objectively looking at it, I'd say reunion Era albums are much stronger by and large.

Um.so you can't be objective with a gun to your head? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 07:24:12 PM »
:lol "i'm putting a gun to your head and I want you to choose your favourite otherwise I'll unload in your candy ass brain" was what I was thinking, but maybe I've completely fucked up what that phrase actually means. 

I'm from New Zealand man we don't have guns just sharp sticks.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 08:24:45 PM »

Classic Era easily.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 12:05:56 AM »
Yeah, classic era easily. The reunion stuff is good and sometimes great, but not up to the same level as the 80s albums (although the new album is awesome).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 12:12:18 AM »
Classic era, no contest for me really.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 12:57:28 AM »
This is extremely hard, but I have to go for the classic era. I really love the reunion era but DOD isn't that good and I don't rank AMOLAD that high as others do, although it's still great. In the classic era only SIT doesn't absolutely grab me, but the run from NOTB to Powerslave is one of the best three albums runs by any band ever.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 01:35:41 AM »

Yes they are.
Yea pretty much and nostalgia. Those classics have alot of memories and life events connected to them, atleast for me and I assume to others to.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 02:14:50 AM »
Overall Classic era for me

But this band has amazed me with the music they have released with the reunion era.

If I give the classic era 100%, the reunion era would get around a 98%

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 03:19:41 AM »
AMOLAD, TFF and BNW are all great, but the others I don't like that much, and that's no match for things like SSOASS PS and TNOTB, not even close.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Mladen

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 04:56:43 AM »
Classic era, although it is EXTREMELY close. All of those 10 albums are truly great.

Offline Art

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 05:07:07 AM »
Classic era, but i am also a big fan of the Reunion era. And i really like NPFTD and TXF too.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 06:45:46 AM »
No dilemma for me. Classic era. I grew up with it and wore the vinyl out on the first five albums. Started to lose interest after powerslave but not much beats the run from killers to powerslave.

BNW and AMOLAD were good and the new one is superb, but they're fighting history.

Bingo... but I love SiT and 7th Son.  Good thing you didn't include No Prayer or FotD in the 'classic' era, or I might have had to think about it.   :lol

Even with those turds though, 80s Maiden > 00/10 Maiden.  Let's just forget they made anything in the 90s (come at me Kade :bringiton:)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 06:47:27 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »
Classic, I suppose, but I think both have too much bloat.

I also think the Di'anno and Blaze eras, albeit short, are more or less on par with those two.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 08:48:14 AM »
Classic Era. Besides Brave New World, I never really cared for the other Reunion albums.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
The Classic Era by a mile.

The Paul DiAnno, Blaze Bayley and reunion eras have good individual songs, but the albums aren't particularly great (disclaimer: haven't heard The Book of Souls yet, but I've heard that it's more of the same from the last two).

Why are No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark not included in the Classic Era?  Because Adrian Smith didn't take part or just because of the perceived lack of quality of the two albums?  I can see dividing the eras by who the vocalist is, but I think leaving out NPFTD and FOTD is a little arbitrary.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 05:58:40 PM by mrrct »

Offline 425

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 09:12:40 AM »
Adrian leaving was huge. Practically as big as Bruce leaving.

The only lineup change within either of these groupings of five is the Clive -> Nicko transition, which, while significant, was nowhere near as big of an impact on the music as Adrian leaving.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 09:30:55 AM »
The classic era has Hallowed be thy Name so I'm gonna have to go with that one.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline romdrums

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »

Yes they are.

I thought they sang about history. :hat
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 03:42:17 PM »
The Classic Era by a mile.

The Paul DiAnno, Blaze Bayley and reunion eras have good individual songs, but the albums aren't particularly great (disclaimer: haven't heard The Book of Souls yet, but I've heard that it's more of the same from the last two).

Why are No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark not included in the Classic Era?  Because Adrian Smith didn't take part or just because of the perceived lack of quality of the two albums?  I can see dividing the eras by who the vocalist is, but I think leaving NPFTD and FOTD is a little arbitrary.

This was already addressed just a few posts up . . .

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 06:50:59 PM »
Difficult one for me. Some initial feeling without giving it too much of a thought:

Classic: Best sound production, more cohesive and well-paced albums, better quality consistency, young and powerful Bruce, best art/covers.
Reunion: More epic type of songs, more proggy elements, a lower yet often more controlled and varied Bruce.

A lot of my top songs are reunion, but so are my least favourite ones. Classic era is without a doubt the most iconic and influential era. However, I am still leaning towards reunion. There are quite some big and iconic artists that deliver a lot of great music during their first decade of fame or so. There are fewer of those artists that still put out great new material loved by their fans at a late point in their career. And what is even more rare, is that an artist keeps on adding milestones one way or another to their legacy, captivating a huge amount of people in doing so, both young and old. And that is one of the elements that separates IM from many other great influential artists for me. So I'll go for reunion as I feel that era is what truly makes IM a "special" kind of special artist. Not sure how I can word this more clearly, but I hope you catch my drift  ;D