Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 112155 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. Noise Floor (2018)
« Reply #1085 on: July 29, 2022, 08:46:58 AM »
Video for "Chrysalis" featuring Randy McStine from Ryo's new album. This one pushed me over the edge to buy (didn't realize it was out today already).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2qJYs-GWcg

I've actually kind of thought before if Al Morse doesn't want to carry on with SB, Randy would make a great replacement. Get Nick back on drums, have Ted, Randy, and Nick all able to swap out leads and harmonize, and you'd have a really great lineup.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1086 on: July 29, 2022, 09:10:15 AM »
With just 2 listens, I think this album is truly amazing!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1087 on: July 29, 2022, 10:21:45 AM »
Mine arrives today. Hope to listen to it later on.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1088 on: July 29, 2022, 02:00:05 PM »
With just 2 listens, I think this album is truly amazing!

AGREE :tup :hefdaddy

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1089 on: July 29, 2022, 02:00:57 PM »
Video for "Chrysalis" featuring Randy McStine from Ryo's new album. This one pushed me over the edge to buy (didn't realize it was out today already).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2qJYs-GWcg

I've actually kind of thought before if Al Morse doesn't want to carry on with SB, Randy would make a great replacement. Get Nick back on drums, have Ted, Randy, and Nick all able to swap out leads and harmonize, and you'd have a really great lineup.

Agreed! :tup

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1090 on: July 29, 2022, 02:24:17 PM »
For those interested, looking at the liner notes, the opening and closing tracks are essentially The Beard. NDV sings Mirror, Mirror and Ted and NDV share lead vocals on the epic title track. On both, guitar is Al, bass is Dave and drums are NDV.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I will be later today.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline HOF

« Reply #1091 on: July 29, 2022, 02:29:32 PM »
For those interested, looking at the liner notes, the opening and closing tracks are essentially The Beard. NDV sings Mirror, Mirror and Ted and NDV share lead vocals on the epic title track. On both, guitar is Al, bass is Dave and drums are NDV.

Yep. I listened to the Amazon download today while waiting on the CD, and they are both really strong tracks. Certainly feels like there's plenty of gas in the tank if SB ever wants to make another album.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1092 on: July 29, 2022, 02:34:34 PM »

Yep. I listened to the Amazon download today while waiting on the CD, and they are both really strong tracks. Certainly feels like there's plenty of gas in the tank if SB ever wants to make another album.

Haven't got the album yet, but isn't Jimmy featured somewhere there too? Maybe on a different track.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1093 on: July 29, 2022, 09:58:53 PM »
Going through the liner notes and Jimmy played all the drums on the demo and is relegated to strictly backing vocals on the title track. He actually doesn't play at all.

And I can't believe this didn't register sooner, Mirror, Mirror is all about the episode where we first saw Spock's beard.  :lol

The title track is essentially Kaiju Prog Metal. Gotta love Ryo.

Speaking of the just over 30 minutes of new Beard we get here, I was thinking the same thing, what is holding them back? Heck, this was 30+ minutes not written by Boegehold either. I enjoyed both tracks quite a bit. They can still do it if they want.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1094 on: July 30, 2022, 12:04:22 AM »
Speaking of the just over 30 minutes of new Beard we get here, I was thinking the same thing, what is holding them back? Heck, this was 30+ minutes not written by Boegehold either. I enjoyed both tracks quite a bit. They can still do it if they want.

Do they want, though? There was an interview with Ted posted here not long ago where he seemed very frustrated about the band not really doing anything. Don't know who has the final say in that, but at least it seems not all of them are in the same page about that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1095 on: July 30, 2022, 01:03:58 AM »
On Facebook, Ryo recently replied to a fan asking if SB were disbanded and he replied saying that they were not.

AFAIK, Al is the only one not doing any sort of musical venture lately. Ryo just made an album and has been doing his Progject. Ted and Dave have been doing P-SA with Jimmy and John. And Nick is busy with BBT, among many other things. I'm not saying Al is the one holding them up, but the other guys have all been busy with other music.

At this rate, itl be at least five years since Noise Floor before a new album comes out, though they had planned a European tour earlier this year it didn't pan out for one reason or another. I still hope they have enough creative juices for one more album, but if not, they had a heck of a run - 13 albums over 24 years, a discography that all involved should be proud of.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1096 on: July 30, 2022, 08:20:09 AM »
I do wonder if any of these songs were offered to SB or not. One issue might be that Ryo apparently has a 4 album deal with Inside Out and plans to do one every other year or so I believe according to his appearance on the Prog Report podcast. Maybe he decided to plow ahead with solo stuff since SB was so inactive, and I could see that conflicting with future SB releases if it takes up a lot of his time and energy (he did mention he has lots of unused songs though).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1097 on: August 02, 2022, 11:07:01 AM »
Man is the song, "Chrysalis" stunning.  Worth purchasing the album for that song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #1098 on: August 02, 2022, 11:33:24 AM »
Man is the song, "Chrysalis" stunning.  Worth purchasing the album for that song.

Yep. It’s really great.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1099 on: August 03, 2022, 08:05:55 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/spocksbeard/permalink/5259994080781765/

In a post from someone asking about the canceled SB tour, Jimmy replied:

Because anytime there is a post regarding SB or any current or former member of SB, somebody says, “Didn’t they break up?” You know who never said we’ve broken up? Spock’s Beard! They are still together with Mike Thorn playing drums for live shows. Ted, Dave and I have a band called Pattern-Seeking Animals but Spock’s didn’t break up. Nick is still in Big Big Train but Spock’s didn’t break up. Ryo just released a great new solo record with some of us on it. Al is recording a solo album (I know I’m on it, maybe other members, not sure) but Spock’s didn’t break up. Neal hasn’t been in Spock’s Beard for almost 20 years but … you guessed it … Spock’s didn’t break up. Things change. We are all still great friends regardless of the changes. The Beard is not dead yet! Keep your tickets, go to the show and have a great time.

The most interesting tidbit is that Al is working on a new solo record! I wonder when it'll come out...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1100 on: August 03, 2022, 08:18:43 AM »
Really good they made it clear. :tup And I hope they keep Nick playing with them in a future studio release.
Anyway, SB just announced in their Facebook they will playing at PROGXII on 9th an 12th november 2023.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1101 on: August 03, 2022, 12:30:32 PM »

Because anytime there is a post regarding SB or any current or former member of SB, somebody says, “Didn’t they break up?” You know who never said we’ve broken up? Spock’s Beard! They are still together with Mike Thorn playing drums for live shows. Ted, Dave and I have a band called Pattern-Seeking Animals but Spock’s didn’t break up. Nick is still in Big Big Train but Spock’s didn’t break up. Ryo just released a great new solo record with some of us on it. Al is recording a solo album (I know I’m on it, maybe other members, not sure) but Spock’s didn’t break up. Neal hasn’t been in Spock’s Beard for almost 20 years but … you guessed it … Spock’s didn’t break up. Things change. We are all still great friends regardless of the changes. The Beard is not dead yet! Keep your tickets, go to the show and have a great time.

The most interesting tidbit is that Al is working on a new solo record! I wonder when it'll come out...

-Marc.

Maybe, just maybe, people wouldn't think they broke up if they were actually doing anything as a band :lol

They haven't been writing, recording or touring in a while. No updates, posts, nothing. That recent interview with Ted where he implied he wanted them to do more but things just weren't moving didn't help either.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1102 on: August 03, 2022, 02:28:03 PM »

-Marc.

Maybe, just maybe, people wouldn't think they broke up if they were actually doing anything as a band :lol

They haven't been writing, recording or touring in a while. No updates, posts, nothing. That recent interview with Ted where he implied he wanted them to do more but things just weren't moving didn't help either.

To be fair, there WAS a European tour scheduled for this year but was canceled, so they were definitely going to be active this year. Perhaps they'll surprise us before the end of the year with a new album announcement. We're already in the longest period between albums at nearly 4.5 years since Noise Floor. Previous longest gap was between SB9 and X, about four years.

-Marc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1103 on: August 03, 2022, 04:07:19 PM »

-Marc.

To be fair, there WAS a European tour scheduled for this year but was canceled, so they were definitely going to be active this year. Perhaps they'll surprise us before the end of the year with a new album announcement. We're already in the longest period between albums at nearly 4.5 years since Noise Floor. Previous longest gap was between SB9 and X, about four years.

-Marc.

Not looking likely, but i like your optimism :lol :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1104 on: August 06, 2022, 12:43:58 AM »
I can't stop spinning TMOTM this week, and today I finally ripped my Japanese Edition CD with the two bonus tracks, both of which are good, but are understandably bonus tracks for a reason, though the one features more Alan Morse, so that's a plus.

I think this new Ryo album is surpassing his previous one from two decades ago, Coming Through, but that one is pretty good too.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1105 on: August 06, 2022, 08:17:21 AM »
I can't stop spinning TMOTM this week, and today I finally ripped my Japanese Edition CD with the two bonus tracks, both of which are good, but are understandably bonus tracks for a reason, though the one features more Alan Morse, so that's a plus.

I think this new Ryo album is surpassing his previous one from two decades ago, Coming Through, but that one is pretty good too.

-Marc.

I love the new album too, although I struggle with the 3 tracks between Mirror, Mirror and Chrysalis. I do like The Watchmaker more than I did when I first saw the video. But I think it’s the vocalists on those tracks that holds them back a bit.

That said, the album is worth owning for the two SB tracks and Randy’s performance on Chrysalis. The title track is a really great epic. I love the “woah, woah, woah” part. That’s just a really great piece of songwriting.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1106 on: August 08, 2022, 02:24:09 PM »

-Marc.

I love the new album too, although I struggle with the 3 tracks between Mirror, Mirror and Chrysalis. I do like The Watchmaker more than I did when I first saw the video. But I think it’s the vocalists on those tracks that holds them back a bit.

That said, the album is worth owning for the two SB tracks and Randy’s performance on Chrysalis. The title track is a really great epic. I love the “woah, woah, woah” part. That’s just a really great piece of songwriting.

Oh man, the first time I listened to that "Golden Melody" part in the title track, I was floored. It's so singable and I can't help but sing along to it every time it comes up. Such a brilliant melody and works so well in the song.

As for the three songs in the middle, I like them. The playing is pretty great and I don't mind the vocals as they have grown on me.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1107 on: August 08, 2022, 03:05:22 PM »

-Marc.

Oh man, the first time I listened to that "Golden Melody" part in the title track, I was floored. It's so singable and I can't help but sing along to it every time it comes up. Such a brilliant melody and works so well in the song.

As for the three songs in the middle, I like them. The playing is pretty great and I don't mind the vocals as they have grown on me.

-Marc.

Something about that Golden Melody section really hit me when I was listening to it this morning. Literally had me tearing up.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1108 on: August 27, 2022, 12:22:54 PM »
According to a FB post by PROG Magazine, today is the 20th anniversary of the release of Snow.

Might have to give this one a spin sometime this weekend! Hard to believe this one is two decades old already!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1109 on: August 27, 2022, 04:13:51 PM »
According to a FB post by PROG Magazine, today is the 20th anniversary of the release of Snow.

Might have to give this one a spin sometime this weekend! Hard to believe this one is two decades old already!

-Marc.

Nothing to do this afternoon so giving this a listen while doing some dinner prep and cleaning. Still so good.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1110 on: August 29, 2022, 04:56:10 AM »

-Marc.

yeah I saw that on twitter and chimed in on it's unfortunate stll that Snow along with all of the Neal Morse Spock's albums are still not on Spotify. I can't remember the specific reason, but just in terms of exposure, it's not helping attracting new listeners at this point.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1111 on: August 29, 2022, 05:57:28 AM »

-Marc.

yeah I saw that on twitter and chimed in on it's unfortunate stll that Snow along with all of the Neal Morse Spock's albums are still not on Spotify. I can't remember the specific reason, but just in terms of exposure, it's not helping attracting new listeners at this point.

It’s because Neal doesn’t want them to be. He was initially anti-streaming altogether, but then he launched his own streaming app (though now there are a few of his albums available on streaming services - the latest TA and NMB albums, Jesus Christ Exorcist, the D’Virgilio, Morse & Jennings album, etc.).

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1112 on: August 29, 2022, 09:41:09 AM »
If all his records were on spotify, nobody would subscribe to his  Waterfall app.

That the newer ones are on spotify may have to do with the fact that he is on the Inside Out label again. Maybe the label insisted in putting the music on streaming services?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline HOF

« Reply #1113 on: August 29, 2022, 09:45:55 AM »
If all his records were on spotify, nobody would subscribe to his  Waterfall app.

That the newer ones are on spotify may have to do with the fact that he is on the Inside Out label again. Maybe the label insisted in putting the music on streaming services?

Yeah, I imagine Inside Out wanted them to be available to streaming services.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1114 on: October 09, 2022, 07:59:01 AM »
Ryo is offering The Myth of the Mostrophus demos through Bandcamp. Apparently, all tracks feature Alan, Jimmy and Michael Whiteman.

https://ryookumoto.bandcamp.com/album/the-myth-of-the-mostrophus-demos

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1115 on: October 09, 2022, 09:53:06 AM »
Ryo is offering The Myth of the Mostrophus demos through Bandcamp. Apparently, all tracks feature Alan, Jimmy and Michael Whiteman.

https://ryookumoto.bandcamp.com/album/the-myth-of-the-mostrophus-demos

According to the CD's liner notes, Alan Morse only appears on the demo for "Mirror Mirror".

-Marc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: November 17, 2022, 06:38:28 AM »
Swedish progressive rock outfit Jonas Lindberg and The Other Side released their latest album Miles From Nowhere earlier this year to critical acclaim.  Now, while busy working on new music, the band have recorded a cover of the Spock’s Beard classic “The Good Don’t Last”.

Listen to the track here:
https://youtu.be/cgE0jc1qKBA

Offline HOF

« Reply #1117 on: November 17, 2022, 07:38:51 AM »
Swedish progressive rock outfit Jonas Lindberg and The Other Side released their latest album Miles From Nowhere earlier this year to critical acclaim.  Now, while busy working on new music, the band have recorded a cover of the Spock’s Beard classic “The Good Don’t Last”.

Listen to the track here:
https://youtu.be/cgE0jc1qKBA

Nice!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread
« Reply #1118 on: November 17, 2022, 09:18:21 AM »
Modified the thread title since 2018 was a long time ago.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread
« Reply #1119 on: November 17, 2022, 08:54:08 PM »
I'm not a huge Spock's Beard fan. I like Neal, so I've listened to all the old albums. I've dabbled in some of the Nick and Ted stuff, but it doesn't do much for me. But I remember Noise Floor coming out. It feels like that happened yesterday. Last year at most. THAT WAS FOUR+ YEARS AGO?! Holy shit, time flies when you get old.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.